Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

ICC Champions Trophy

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

ICC Champions Trophy

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:27 pm

A bit of a late start, India and Pakistan are currently on the 4th match. England beat Bangladesh comfortably and now only need to beat one of Aus and NZ to progress. So they are favourites, but Woakes injury may yet matter. Don't think they've named a replacement yet, but Ball and Finn-if he's selected for the squad- are both liabilities. They seem determined not to look at Broad for white ball.

I had a small interest bet on Australia at 10/3 mainly because of their quicks-now 9/2 after the washout re NZ.

(Edgbaston have said they'd be happy to host a India V Pakistan test . They'd certainly be better off playing there than in front of a couple of hundred migrant workers in UAE.)

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Re: ICC Champions Trophy

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Promising performance by England yesterday, I really thought we were in trouble with Williamson/Taylor. Fine, pressing, bowling performance after that - better than I expected TBH.

Unfortunately, the weather is having a seriously good go at buggering up the tournament. SA losing today was a serious surprise, I thought that them and India were nailed on for the group. However, if we can put the Aussies out on Saturday, I reckon that we have a fair chance in the tournament - while you can lose to any decent team in ODI's if luck goes against you, I'm only seriously concerned about India who I think might have the beating of us on a reasonably regular basis.

Be nice if the sun came out though :(

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:10 am

boringteacher wrote:Promising performance by England yesterday, I really thought we were in trouble with Williamson/Taylor. Fine, pressing, bowling performance after that - better than I expected TBH.

Unfortunately, the weather is having a seriously good go at buggering up the tournament. SA losing today was a serious surprise, I thought that them and India were nailed on for the group. However, if we can put the Aussies out on Saturday, I reckon that we have a fair chance in the tournament - while you can lose to any decent team in ODI's if luck goes against you, I'm only seriously concerned about India who I think might have the beating of us on a reasonably regular basis.

Be nice if the sun came out though :(

I was quite pleased with the ENG NZ result too. Good batting set up a good win.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 am

Yep. Pakistan as consistent as ever! They were so inept and lacking urgency against India, it was almost suspicious given their history. But I suppose they'd have to have a death-wish to throw a game against India.Then they crush a SA side with the two top-ranked ODI bowlers.

What I like about England is that they haven't been flawless. Bowling in the first and batting in the second could have been better. It's suggesting they're going to peak at the right time.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Been out all day so didn't see Bangla v NZ. Sounds a cracker. 12/3 then a 200 partnership. If England win tomorrow, that will be Aus, NZ and one of India/ SA out. England will never have a better chance to win some ODI silverware.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Fine performance again - a stunning counterattack by Morgan/Stokes. Suppose the criminals will whine again about our weather and how they were just about to wrap up the England innings when it rained. Hope they can get flights home :D

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Clever from Stokes and Morgan. Got ahead of the rate with some great hitting, then eased off to conserve wickets for the DLS. Joy of giving them a pasting never palls, does it? Holles Stand sounded like they enjoyed it!

UTS Legend

Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:17 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:A bit of a late start, India and Pakistan are currently on the 4th match. England beat Bangladesh comfortably and now only need to beat one of Aus and NZ to progress. So they are favourites, but Woakes injury may yet matter. Don't think they've named a replacement yet, but Ball and Finn-if he's selected for the squad- are both liabilities. They seem determined not to look at Broad for white ball.

I had a small interest bet on Australia at 10/3 mainly because of their quicks-now 9/2 after the washout re NZ.

(Edgbaston have said they'd be happy to host a India V Pakistan test . They'd certainly be better off playing there than in front of a couple of hundred migrant workers in UAE.)

I once got talking to a couple of Indian migrant workers in Dubai on the subject of cricket. My God, they put me to shame. They knew everything not just about Indian cricket but about every cricketing nation on the planet. Keen, to put it mildly.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Fakhar's gonnna beat us

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Never bet against the cornered Tigers.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Unhappy, but the reality of one day cricket is that most of the top 6 teams can lose on the day against any other top 6 team. I'd expect England to beat Pakistan 8 times in 10 - unfortunately they deservedly thumped us when it mattered.

Buggered up my Sunday, but here's to Pakistan repeating this against the brat capitan on Sunday.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:31 am

I can't stand Kohli either. What a contrast he is to the gentleman Dhoni.

I suppose England need to be more versatile if they're going to be winning any trophies. Three Asian teams in the semis and an all-Asian final.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:53 am

If anything, it's India who look a bit overawed at the moment. Pakistan have reached 100 with no wickets down. But India are still odds-on with all the bookies, so I suppose they're thinking the pitch is good and so is the Indian batting.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:39 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:If anything, it's India who look a bit overawed at the moment. Pakistan have reached 100 with no wickets down. But India are still odds-on with all the bookies, so I suppose they're thinking the pitch is good and so is the Indian batting.

I'd suppose its a bit too late to get a bet on with those odds now.

Puts the England result into a perspective, Fine batting performance by Pakistan - and seeing a mediocre seamer like Pandya getting some seam movement, it made me think that if Pakistan bowled well, I'd really fancy them defending 320 let alone what they got. Hope Kholi makes a particularly pathetic excuse when India lose (I cant see anyway to 339 from 50//3)

Return to General Chat & Prediction League