Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

LONDON ATTACK

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
chunkster
Site Addict

LONDON ATTACK

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:25 pm

How much cack can we take before we respond really :|

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: LONDON ATTACK

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:12 am

Absolutely. Stopping selling arms to the Saudis would be a great start.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:04 am

The only problem is how do we respond?

A fast and total wipeout of IS wherever they are holed up would be a start.
But I'm sure this would already have happened if it were that easy....

Is it possible to stop them exchanging ideas and info over the Internet/Dark Web?
Maybe techie geeks/hackers are the answer if they don't get upset like Edward Snowden....

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:39 am

I'm afraid there is nothing anyone can do to stop any type of terrorist attack. Extremists of any cause will always find a way, it's a world wide problem and no country is safe from these cowardly random attacks.

Exile wrote:Absolutely. Stopping selling arms to the Saudis would be a great start.

Such a simplistic statement does you no favours, there are many countries in the world that could be blamed for supporting terrorism, I don't think that the tenuous connection you are trying to imply has any relevance this attack.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:38 am

Cully wrote:I'm afraid there is nothing anyone can do to stop any type of terrorist attack. Extremists of any cause will always find a way, it's a world wide problem and no country is safe from these cowardly random attacks.

Exile wrote:Absolutely. Stopping selling arms to the Saudis would be a great start.

Such a simplistic statement does you no favours, there are many countries in the world that could be blamed for supporting terrorism, I don't think that the tenuous connection you are trying to imply has any relevance this attack.

Your thoughts for starters would be great to hear. All I saw above was "no", so I'm sure you have some great ideas that rise above simplicity.

shady53

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:24 am

Exile wrote:
Cully wrote:I'm afraid there is nothing anyone can do to stop any type of terrorist attack. Extremists of any cause will always find a way, it's a world wide problem and no country is safe from these cowardly random attacks.

Your thoughts for starters would be great to hear. All I saw above was "no", so I'm sure you have some great ideas that rise above simplicity.

Exile, that has got to be one of most stupid comments ever posted on here.

Cuiiy, your spot on.

Still, Theresa Mayhem is chairing an emergency "COBRA" meeting . . . . . that will scare these murdering scum witless.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:41 am

Exile wrote:

I thought what I posted was obvious, and further I trust those employed in the security forces to minimise the effect it has on the population. Other than that I'm sure no one thinks that turning Britain into a kind of totalitarian panopticon that even Orwell could not imagine even with his Thought police is a practical solution. You can and do comment on what you might think are fundamental solutions but I prefer to leave that to the experts some of whose brains I hope are the size of a planet :wink: or at least a little bigger than mine. :idea:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:50 am

Up to now I have made sense of these horrific attacks as some individual loser trying to gain notoriety and that the victims just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time

It has hit me today that we are at war

None of the election guff means anything now

Stay safe saddlers

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:56 am

What IS astonishing is that the police are aware of over 500 current plots, with 5,000+ SOI's! :shock: :evil: In Britain alone!

I, and many others know what 'should' be done, but 'real' action would upset all the bleeding heart liberals out there who still think we should 'talk' to these murderous scumbags over tea and crumpets! :?

How many more have to die and be injured, before someone with guts makes decisions to eradicate this disease from the face of the earth for good.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:09 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:What IS astonishing is that the police are aware of over 500 current plots, with 5,000+ SOI's! :shock: :evil: In Britain alone!

I, and many others know what 'should' be done, but 'real' action would upset all the bleeding heart liberals out there who still think we should 'talk' to these murderous scumbags over tea and crumpets! :?

How many more have to die and be injured, before someone with guts makes decisions to eradicate this disease from the face of the earth for good.
At least theresa may actually had the balls to mention Islam this time, the security services shouldn't be investigating those 5'000 SOI's they should be taking their passports of them and shipping them to some war torn area l if they are that intent on wanting to kill people,and let them pit their cowardly whits against someone with a fudging gun that can defend themselves :|

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:28 am

chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:What IS astonishing is that the police are aware of over 500 current plots, with 5,000+ SOI's! :shock: :evil: In Britain alone!

At least theresa may actually had the balls to mention Islam this time, the security services shouldn't be investigating those 5'000 SOI's l if they they should be taking their passports of them and shipping them to some war torn areaare that intent on wanting to kill people,and let them pit their cowardly whits against someone with a fudging gun that can defend themselves :|

Exactly!!

UTS Legend

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Hong Kong, whilst not a country, seems to be safe from such attacks - for now. (I hope I am not tempting fate.)

One thing Hong Kong does is that it takes no refugees. There are asylum seekers here, but only 0.6% of applications for asylum are accepted. (That's NOUGHT POINT SIX PER CENT.) The asylum seekers who gave shelter to Edward Snowden while he was in Hong Kong recently (you may have seen the film) had their applications rejected. Of course, Snowden was outraged.

Those who have their applications accepted do not stay in Hong Kong. They move to countries like Canada or Australia.

Whilst in Hong Kong, these refugees are not allowed to work. Therefore, they have a very hard time, living from hand to mouth.

I am not recommending the above - simply reporting it.

The other thing is that Hong Kong has a very large police presence on the streets. People also have to carry ID cards.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Fingers crossed Dianne Abbott will be the HS on Friday morning. Hopefully then we can start to implement tough new measures such as those you mention in HK.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Strange you should mention Hong Kong Guest, as it's the place where I had my only brush with "terrorism".
About 10 years ago I was walking by the harbour looking at the Avenue of Stars plates when a guy came up to me and started talking.
He said he was from Pakistan and he inferred he was in Hong Kong to establish connections to fight against the US.
I remember looking at my watch and saying "sh*t, I'm late" and rushing off as fast as I could.

Whether the guy was serious or having a laugh or he was doolally or what I don't know but I'll never forget it.

itasaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:48 pm

The events in Turin last night were also shocking and luckily no one was killed there, but just the perceived threat of a terrorist attack was enough to cause mayhem and panic.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:58 pm

chunkster wrote:The security services shouldn't be investigating those 5'000 SOI's. They should be taking their passports off them and shipping them to some war torn area if they are that intent on wanting to kill people,and let them pit their cowardly wits against someone with a fudging gun that can defend themselves.

Sounds a great idea in theory, Chunkster, but we cannot expel UK citizens. I don't know about these 3 latest scumbags but all the terrorists in this country in recent times have been British born and bred. We can't dump our cack on other countries however attractive a prospect that may seem.

The problem is the brainwashing and radicalisation of gullible young Muslim men. Hate preachers are less of a problem now but the Internet is quite another matter.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:51 am

It would appear that the Saudis, UAE and Bahrain have decided that it's Qatar who is funding ISIS and are taking action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40155829
They are going to host the world cup in 2022. Anyone going?

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 am

Pedagogue wrote:
chunkster wrote:The security services shouldn't be investigating those 5'000 SOI's. They should be taking their passports off them and shipping them to some war torn area if they are that intent on wanting to kill people,and let them pit their cowardly wits against someone with a fudging gun that can defend themselves.

Sounds a great idea in theory, Chunkster, but we cannot expel UK citizens. I don't know about these 3 latest scumbags but all the terrorists in this country in recent times have been British born and bred. We can't dump our cack on other countries however attractive a prospect that may seem.

The problem is the brainwashing and radicalisation of gullible young Muslim men. Hate preachers are less of a problem now but the Internet is quite another matter.

You know what, the more I think about it the more I wouldn't know how to deal with it, I just can't get my head around why British born muslims would want to harm us and our way of life? After all it is also their way of life?
. The trouble is they have always been a society and culture within another society and culture. And I don't think that they have ever fully intergrated. It messes with my head when on the one hand you get it inside your head that it is muslims carrying out these atrocities, then you see other muslims showing solidarity standing side by side with us, praying with us, ferrying those affected people home for nothing. I just wish we could draw a line and say "there they are guys that's who we are fighting against" but it's impossible, and that is the most frustrating part. I look at my Muslim colleagues now and think what is going through your mind? :|

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:58 am

itasaddler wrote:The events in Turin last night were also shocking and luckily no one was killed there, but just the perceived threat of a terrorist attack was enough to cause mayhem and panic.

Whereas at the German rock festival, a bomb threat saw 86,000 people evacuate peacefully, and the concert continue peacefully.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:52 am

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:01 am

scott_powell wrote:https://www.facebook.com/aymmar15/posts/10156082374030752

Bit weird don't you think?

That is some fudged up cack?surely if the government were going to stage something, they wouldn't be caught out with something as amateurish as that :shock:

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:04 pm

chunkster wrote:

That is some fudged up cack?surely if the government were going to stage something, they wouldn't be caught out with something as amateurish as that :shock:

This is in very bad taste. Anyone who remotely considers that this could be genuine is in the Sound out/ Alien Lizards area of lunacy.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:35 pm

saddla wrote:
chunkster wrote:

This is in very bad taste. Anyone who remotely considers that this could be genuine is in the Sound out/ Alien Lizards area of lunacy.

How is it in bad taste? It happened and its weird. I'm not saying it's proof of anything, just strange!

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:47 pm

scott_powell wrote:
saddla wrote:
chunkster wrote:

How is it in bad taste? It happened and its weird. I'm not saying it's proof of anything, just strange!

it's in bad taste because there are real policemen who are in hospital recovering from a terrorist attack, while terrorist sympathizers are trying to describe it as a government plot. Shades of the 9/11 conspiracy theory nutters.
How do you know it happened? Don't believe everything you see on a video.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:55 pm

They don't even look similar :shock:

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:59 pm

It's been tampered with, the officer getting changed looks nothing like the terrorist, it's amazing what they can do with technology these days though. I think that whoever has done this mock up needs to be taught a lesson :(

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:12 pm

I dont even believe the video myself!! I'm just saying it's out there!!

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:19 pm

chunkster wrote:It's been tampered with, the officer getting changed looks nothing like the terrorist, it's amazing what they can do with technology these days though. I think that whoever has done this mock up needs to be taught a lesson :(

Worth looking at some of the comments people have posted underneath that video - there are some very sick individuals looking for the slightest sign to latch onto to "prove" a conspiracy theory in their sad, warped minds.

Amazing that the guy posting that up failed to recognise the TV coverage was live and clocked at 00.33 hours (bottom right of screen) - some 2 hours after the terrorists were shot. Still, don't let that inconvenience get in the way of their fake news campaigns eh?

Cully
Site Addict

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Only if you take Facebook seriously or are under 25.

ps. if you satisfy the above criteria, I think you can find lots of humorous, apparently, pictures of dogs and cats wearing sunglasses or hats that you can repost or like..

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Cowshed wrote:Up to now I have made sense of these horrific attacks as some individual loser trying to gain notoriety and that the victims just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time

It has hit me today that we are at war

None of the election guff means anything now

Stay safe saddlers

We have been at war for years, we just didn't know it at the time
The Soviets did, nearly 40 years ago when they went into Afghanistan, but our "intelligence" services saw it as an expansion of the Soviet Empire, and boy did we celebrate every time a Russian was killed

In hindsight, what could the world look like now?

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League