Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Buyers are out there

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Whitters
Site Addict

Buyers are out there

Wed May 03, 2017 8:32 pm

The Chesterfield owner has rejected a bid of £10m apparently from an Australian consortium.
He wants £15m.

So they're out there.
And surely we'd be cheaper and a better prospect than Chesterfield?

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Buyers are out there

Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 pm

You'd think so. Knowing that, Uncle Jeff will increase his asking price accordingly.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Thu May 04, 2017 7:11 am

Saying you want to sell when every ones against you and selling when you get an offer are two different things.I don't think he wants to sell why would he.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu May 04, 2017 9:04 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Saying you want to sell when every ones against you and selling when you get an offer are two different things.I don't think he wants to sell why would he.

Don't forget, uncle Jeff only owns the club, which is worth about tuppence, which would, if unrebuffed rumours are true, be about 46 tuppences less than he paid for it.

It was painstakingly pointed out to everyone a while ago that the bricks, mortar and land are owned by Suffolk Life so aren't Bonser's to sell.. Just saying... :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu May 04, 2017 11:26 am

Exile wrote:... the bricks, mortar and land are owned by Suffolk Life so aren't Bonser's to sell ... Just saying ... :wink:

I'm sure that if Jeff and Robert instructed Suffolk Life to sell, they would have to do so. After all, JWB offered the freehold to the Council about 4 years ago (for £4.5 million) and a very expensive sales brochure was produced (I still have one somewhere!).

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu May 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Exile wrote:... the bricks, mortar and land are owned by Suffolk Life so aren't Bonser's to sell ... Just saying ... :wink:

I'm sure that if Jeff and Robert instructed Suffolk Life to sell, they would have to do so. After all, JWB offered the freehold to the Council about 4 years ago (for £4.5 million) and a very expensive sales brochure was produced (I still have one somewhere!).

£4.5m?

I thought it was £6m+ from memory, because Geoff Dance offered more than £5m if memory serves...

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu May 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Wouldn't it be funny if Jeff sold the club to someone who was only interested in getting as much money out of the rent and Sunday market :lol: just sayin :|

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Fri May 05, 2017 7:00 am

I see Micheal Eisner is trying to buy Portsmouth!

Knew they were a Mickey Mouse outfit!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri May 05, 2017 2:04 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:... JWB offered the freehold to the Council about 4 years ago (for £4.5 million) and a very expensive sales brochure was produced (I still have one somewhere!).

£4.5m?

I thought it was £6m+ from memory, because Geoff Dance offered more than £5m if memory serves...

It was a special reduced offer for the Council only. A private buyer would have to pay more. I was present at the Council meeting when Roy Whalley made his (very good) presentation of the offer.

Let's face reality - JWB doesn't really want to sell up, does he?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri May 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Chesterfield had to get relegated before a decent offer was made by the looks of it.

It's an interesting question. Would fans take relegation to league 2 if Bonser would then sell up. I assume most would say yes but then look at what happened to Orient and Tranmere....

You'd also wonder what the state of the attendances would be. I'm not convinced people would flood back just if a sale happened.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Geoff Dance offered £4.6 million and Mr Bonser rejected it. He has no intention whatsoever of selling the club. There is a difference between saying and doing, Jeffs not for doing anything that will affect his extremely handsome investment........ and why not?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Chesterfield had to get relegated before a decent offer was made by the looks of it.

It's an interesting question. Would fans take relegation to league 2 if Bonser would then sell up. I assume most would say yes but then look at what happened to Orient and Tranmere....

You'd also wonder what the state of the attendances would be. I'm not convinced people would flood back just if a sale happened.

This all from a Villa fan !!!!! :lol:

Return to General Chat & Prediction League