Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

2017 General Election Thread

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
boringteacher
UTS Legend

Re: 2017 General Election Thread

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:44 am

I've heard that the coalition of chaos have had to delay the Queen's Speech until the 12th of July as part of the deal :(

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:56 am

boringteacher wrote:I've heard that the coalition of chaos have had to delay the Queen's Speech until the 12th of July as part of the deal :(

The Queen's speech, as opposed to the Queen's Speech, right now probably consists of a lot of,"Will someone tell me what the f*** is going on."

[ Reply from Flunkey starts," Well Ma'am, you know that slightly mad woman with the staring eyes who used to visit you once a week...? "]

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:21 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:Well, I'm less of am imbecile than people originally thought Jeremy Corbyn has now moved into deranged mode by declaring that he has a mandate to rule the country, "I can still be Prime Minister" because less people voted for me than the Conservatives. The Daily Mirror reports*

*This has been verified by some students and a survey of 1000 Mums Net posters.

Dianne Abbott is busy preparing her Afro for Government and has now recovered from her temporary sickness although the jury are currently still out on that.

I once read that some one tried to draw a parallel or something like that of the foreign ownership of companies in Britain with Nationalisation - I almost choked on my Kelloggs Cornflakes.

Delighted to have Amanda Milling as my MP again with an increased majority, this is probably due to the fact that majority of voters voted for her which on balance seems pretty fair.

I'm on holiday.

I'm on holiday too, so I'm generally just laughing / embarrassed by the political horse-trading and the desperation of clinging onto power.

Now the DUP deal seems up in the air again.

FARCE

I read that Labour was going to be atomised, but despite the infantile smears and negativity - seems not. And now the tories seem dangerously close to abject meltdown. This has to be one of the most appalling own-goals in the history of British politics.

My god, I agree with something you have said, off to the shrink, I must be losing it. :mrgreen:

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:00 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:Well, I'm less of am imbecile than people originally thought Jeremy Corbyn has now moved into deranged mode by declaring that he has a mandate to rule the country, "I can still be Prime Minister" because less people voted for me than the Conservatives. The Daily Mirror reports*

Dianne Abbott is busy preparing her Afro for Government and has now recovered from her temporary sickness although the jury are currently still out on that.

I once read that some one tried to draw a parallel or something like that of the foreign ownership of companies in Britain with Nationalisation - I almost choked on my Kelloggs Cornflakes.

Delighted to have Amanda Milling as my MP again with an increased majority, this is probably due to the fact that majority of voters voted for her which on balance seems pretty fair.

I'm on holiday.

I'm on holiday too, so I'm generally just laughing / embarrassed by the political horse-trading and the desperation of clinging onto power.

FARCE

I read that Labour was going to be atomised, but despite the infantile smears and negativity - seems not. And now the tories seem dangerously close to abject meltdown. This has to be one of the most appalling own-goals in the history of British politics.

You really must stop reading those tomes of doom, the Labour party under the leadership of Momentum is going from strength to strength, more and more people are realising that they WON! Just ask Len McClusly, popular tip top union official and Emily Thornberry, member of parliament, Jeremy's right hand man.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Cully wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

I'm on holiday.

FARCE

You really must stop reading those tomes of doom, the Labour party under the leadership of Momentum is going from strength to strength, more and more people are realising that they WON! Just ask Len McClusly, popular tip top union official and Emily Thornberry, member of parliament, Jeremy's right hand man.

Two news stories popped up as I logged on - one that said Labour now have a 6 point lead over self-servatives (shrug) and another that the tories say they have a deal but the DUP don't. Weird. :lol:

Every new day sees a fresh set of bizarre situations.

You can't be happy with how it's gone though ... :arrow:

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Two news stories popped up as I logged on - one that said Labour now have a 6 point lead over self-servatives (shrug) and another that the tories say they have a deal but the DUP don't. Weird. :lol:

Wish I could say it's been remotely interesting but it isn't. The whole process has been a complete disaster with no winners, it's probably the only 'game' in existence that has resulted in everyone losing :(

What a totally unsavoury bunch of politicians this country has when I find the only way of separating them is by the process of least hate, I'm trying my best to find something amusing in the whole affair but alas even that has worn me down.

Oh well at least I'm on holiday :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:20 am

Must say I'm heartbroken to see May struggling with the wreckage of the humiliating election outcome.

She will be in my thoughts. :idea:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:51 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Must say I'm heartbroken to see May struggling with the wreckage of the humiliating election outcome.

The one where she got more seats than the "winner" ??????? :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Cully wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Wish I could say it's been remotely interesting but it isn't. The whole process has been a complete disaster with no winners, it's probably the only 'game' in existence that has resulted in everyone losing :(

What a totally unsavoury bunch of politicians this country has when I find the only way of separating them is by the process of least hate, I'm trying my best to find something amusing in the whole affair but alas even that has worn me down.

Oh well at least I'm on holiday :D

Couldn't agree more, and I got what I actually voted for :|

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:45 pm

"What a totally unsavoury bunch of politicians this country has when I find the only way of separating them is by the process of least hate, I'm trying my best to find something amusing in the whole affair but alas even that has worn me down." Quote from Cully.

For me , that's an interesting post. I voted to Remain on the same grounds. I hated Cameron, Osborne and Hilary Benn slightly less than I hated Farage, Johnson and Dacre.

Then, on the contrary, I'm finding this all highly amusing.Tories in meltdown, and Labour thinking they've won. Maybe it's the best we can pathetically hope for-political parties neutralising each other, and civil servants left to try and run the country.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:03 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Must say I'm heartbroken to see May struggling with the wreckage of the humiliating election outcome.

The one where she got more seats than the "winner" ??????? :mrgreen:

More like the one where she called an election to get a mandate for a hard brexit, after being 27 points ahead.

Later ... soft brexit. :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 pm

On a related note, just how vile are the DUP?

However, the party has gained a reputation for its strong and controversial views on a number of social issues. It opposes same-sex marriage and is anti-abortion - with abortion remaining illegal in Northern Ireland, except in specific medical cases.
Ms Davidson has already sought assurance over LGBT rights from Mrs May about the potential alliance, but when she was asked on Channel 4 News about the deal she walked off camera.
"We have to work with other parties and that means taking on some of their ideas as well," she told reporter, Ciaran Jenkins.

Exit Ruth Davidson, stage left ... :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/sc ... spartanntp

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:18 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:On a related note, just how vile are the DUP?

However, the party has gained a reputation for its strong and controversial views on a number of social issues. It opposes same-sex marriage and is anti-abortion - with abortion remaining illegal in Northern Ireland, except in specific medical cases.
Ms Davidson has already sought assurance over LGBT rights from Mrs May about the potential alliance, but when she was asked on Channel 4 News about the deal she walked off camera.
"We have to work with other parties and that means taking on some of their ideas as well," she told reporter, Ciaran Jenkins.

Actually, in the mid to long term, it's more likely to mean Enter Ruth Davidson , stage left.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:27 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:On a related note, just how vile are the DUP?

I find this quote from the article highly amusing:
George Osborne has described her (davidson) as the “heroine of the party.”

The same bitter George Osbourne who was sacked as Chancellor by May and now describes her as a dead woman walking. With a huge grin on his face.

Incidentally. I consider that hard Brexit is the only possible opening gambit in the Brexit negotiations. You can always back up from that position when giving ground on such things as EU citizens right to remain and a soft border with Ireland. If you go into negotiations having already given away your bargaining chips you are on a real losing hand.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Heroine of the party? I thought he only did coke?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 am

saddla wrote: I consider that hard Brexit is the only possible opening gambit in the Brexit negotiations. You can always back up from that position when giving ground on such things as EU citizens right to remain and a soft border with Ireland. If you go into negotiations having already given away your bargaining chips you are on a real losing hand.

That rather implies you're negotiating from a position of strength. Amongst many other factors the obvious real life pointers suggest that is not the case. Only in the eyes of the Brexit voters is the UK more important to the EU than vice versa.

Clear indicators: collapse in Europeans wanting to work in the NHS, and UK firms looking to establish European offices to continue trade after Brexit.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:44 am

Some Conservatives, presumably the remainers, like Anna Soubrey etc. are in talks with Labour. Farewell Hard Brexit or indeed any Brexit. Good :D

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Exile wrote:
saddla wrote: I consider that hard Brexit is the only possible opening gambit in the Brexit negotiations. You can always back up from that position when giving ground on such things as EU citizens right to remain and a soft border with Ireland. If you go into negotiations having already given away your bargaining chips you are on a real losing hand.

That rather implies you're negotiating from a position of strength. Amongst many other factors the obvious real life pointers suggest that is not the case. Only in the eyes of the Brexit voters is the UK more important to the EU than vice versa.

Clear indicators: collapse in Europeans wanting to work in the NHS, and UK firms looking to establish European offices to continue trade after Brexit.

There is nothing like 'the man down the pub syndrome' when it comes to putting the world to rights. Credit for not mentioning the war, Eurovision or Jeremy Corbyns victory.

Shakes head, downs drink and leaves the bar for the relative sanity of home

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:Some Conservatives, presumably the remainers, like Anna Soubrey etc. are in talks with Labour. Farewell Hard Brexit or indeed any Brexit. Good :D

If a politician of any colour goes against the will of the people and doesn't follow through with Brexit I will join the masses protesting on the streets of London (and I was only a marginal Brexiteer).

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:Some Conservatives, presumably the remainers, like Anna Soubrey etc. are in talks with Labour. Farewell Hard Brexit or indeed any Brexit. Good :D

Brexit WILL happen.
When you EU loving idiots realise WE ARE LEAVING THE EU.
As Tinned has said I too would join the protests if the will 17.4 million voters opinions was not carried through.
Surrey accept defeat. WE ARE LEAVING.

UTS Legend

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 am

It looks like 'U-turn' Theresa has already discussed the possibility of no Brexit with Macron.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:29 am

I can't see it happening without another referendum, and May's position is precarious enough as it is. I suppose it depends on who the Conservatives elect as next leader, and when.

( I see Nick Clegg has very quickly landed a job as a columnist with the i paper. Once you reach a certain level, there's no such thing as failure in politics.)

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Can I just say - I loved the election result and the spectacular own goal.

Better than any I have seen for a long time.

Shame it didn't go further.
:D

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Great to have you back Manchester. You've been missed. :D

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Great to have you back Manchester. You've been missed. :D

I agree entirely. Welcome back Manc.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:05 am

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:43 am

swampysaddler wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12/jeremy-corbyns-3million-state-funded-salary-and-pension-revealed/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

I rest my case.

Case dismissed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Why can't the deluded Jeremy Corbyn, the rest of his 'United' team and the increasingly smug John McDonnell admit that they were clearly reject by the British electorate. It would appear that their band wagon together with some of their most unsavoury supporters has become increasingly desperate even hijacking of the tragic events at Grenfell Tower for political gain. John McDonnell's plea, for what turned out to be a pathetic 'day of rage', for a million people to go out on the streets and bring the government down, encouraged and inciting mob rule and kicking the cack out of somewhere/one clearly shows his true Marxist colours.
Clearly his core support of exiles, students and Mums Net followers were either down the pub, in bed or busy posting pictures of their dog/cat/child online.

Perhaps the Labour Party should change their catchy slogan to something that clearly represents their view.

LOSING IS WINNING? :arrow: PERIOD

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am

This election was won and lost by two opposite ends of the voters.

Corbyn and labour did well and gained support on one pledge free university fees which brought all the younger voters who would normally sit at home out to vote.

May and the tories lost a lot of votes from the older generation after the dementia tax ,pensions and loss of winter fuel payments, as I said before the election beware of the grey vote do not underestimate them.

It showed that younger people can be interested if interests them and be a powerful force.It is a pity they could not be bothered to vote in EU referendum instead of just moaning they could have changed the result.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:32 am

Cully wrote:Why can't the deluded Jeremy Corbyn, the rest of his 'United' team and the increasingly smug John McDonnell admit that they were clearly reject by the British electorate. It would appear that their band wagon together with some of their most unsavoury supporters has become increasingly desperate even hijacking of the tragic events at Grenfell Tower for political gain. John McDonnell's plea, for what turned out to be a pathetic 'day of rage', for a million people to go out on the streets and bring the government down, encouraged and inciting mob rule and kicking the cack out of somewhere/one clearly shows his true Marxist colours.
Clearly his core support of exiles, students and Mums Net followers were either down the pub, in bed or busy posting pictures of their dog/cat/child online.

Perhaps the Labour Party should change their catchy slogan to something that clearly represents their view.

LOSING IS WINNING? :arrow: PERIOD

I agree that Labour lost the election but if you look at percentages, it wasn't too far behind.

What I find hilarious is the arrogance of Theresa May in thinking what the Daily Express said was correct. And Jeremy Corbyn was totally underestimated as was his popularity.

I wonder, Cully me old mucker - what did you think of the Conservative campaign? I'm sure Thatch would turn in her grave (or more likely rampage through Hell).

:D

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League