Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

2017 General Election Thread

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: 2017 General Election Thread

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:34 pm

With the money the Tories now won't raise from dementia tax & triple lock where is this money coming from.

https://youtu.be/3mo-keK6CxM

UTS Legend

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:51 pm

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 am

If I were a Tory MP, I'd be very worried about the long-term consequences to the party. It's a blatant use of public money not just to benefit a political party, but to save the political career of one individual. Is it even legal? They might still think that the risk to long-term party reputation isn't worth the short-term gain.And that's without factoring in the nastiness and pig-ignorance of their allies-one actually thought only gay people could get AIDS.

I wonder if this is done and dusted.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:15 am

swampysaddler wrote:Just leave this here.

1979 :Callaghan: 269 seats,admits defeat & resigns
1992 :Kinnock: 271 seats, admits defeat & resigns
2017 :Corbyn: 262 seats, claims victory and orders the PM to resign and her government to step down so he can run the country.

Callaghan Lost 50 seats in a 619 seat election.
Kinnock gained 42 seats in a 627 seat election but only 34% of the popular vote.
Corbyn gained 30 seats in a 639 seat election but managed 40% of the popular vote, with increased competition from other parties, which is a 10 percent gain on the previous election.

I'll just leave that there if people aren't going to tell the full story.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:55 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote: Is it even legal?

That was my first thought. This feels like 'cash for votes' in the most literal way.

Its crazy to me on every level. Its clearly to save one individuals career rather than any public benefit. It feels like something you'd read about from a small Eastern European country.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:23 pm

So austerity vanishes as soon as a few votes are offered to prop up their minority government?

Pathetic.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Interestingly the Telegraph and the Times appear to be calling this out as a bung now, I'm surprised by this. This government is losing the plot, I bet some moderate Tories are pretty pissed with how this is shaping up now.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:25 pm

tinned wrote:So austerity vanishes as soon as a few votes are offered to prop up their minority government?

Pathetic.

Nope, its now just an extra billion worth of Austerity cuts to be added to the list to foot the bill.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:46 pm

I almost felt sorry for the Tory mouthpiece pushed out to justify this on Victoria Derbyshire this morning. He was trying to argue that NI had more entrenched social problems , so needed the extra money.Possibly true, in isolation And how much is that due to the sectarian policies pursued by the likes of, err, the DUP? If it's such a pressing problem , then why wasn't the extra funding in the original manifesto?

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Interesting that Corbyn is pilloried by the Tories for talking to the IRA decades ago but the same people are now in a dodgy deal with an organisation which had strong links with loyalist terrorist groups guilty of the exact same crimes and still has members linked to them. Don't think this can have done much for their popularity with the electorate. If there was an election tomorrow I wonder what the result would be? :D

#desperately clinging onto power

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:31 pm

I agree... a well hung parliament :mrgreen:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Where's Swampy today? I thought he'd be all for this coalition . Maybe he's gone out to buy a sash and a bowler hat.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 pm

El_Nombre wrote:

2017 :Corbyn: 262 seats, claims victory and orders the PM to resign and her government to step down so he can run the country.

Kinnock gained 42 seats in a 627 seat election but only 34% of the popular vote.
Corbyn gained 30 seats in a 639 seat election but managed 40% of the popular vote, with increased competition from other parties, which is a 10 percent gain on the previous election.

You forgot the conclusion that all were rejected by the majority of the country and thus failed in their principle objective with the added bonus that one of them is deluded. My assistant, Saigon, will be along in a moment to flesh out the rest of the story and add a few gruesome pictures.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:09 pm

El_Nombre wrote:

FFS stop taking sense El Nom, it simply doesn't sit well with the blue corner. :D :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:13 pm

Cully wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

You forgot the conclusion that all were rejected by the majority of the country and thus failed in their principle objective with the added bonus that one of them is deluded. My assistant, Saigon, will be along in a moment to flesh out the rest of the story and add a few gruesome pictures.

Can't help you this time mate, yer on your own!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:57 am

yoda wrote:

That was my first thought. This feels like 'cash for votes' in the most literal way.

Its crazy to me on every level. Its clearly to save one individuals career rather than any public benefit. It feels like something you'd read about from a small Eastern European country.

It's a bung, and a bad one. Directly, a billion quid to guarantee the support of ten frothing flat-earthers who look slightly less palatable than Ghengis Khan. Great move from May. Found that magic money tree when it suited her.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:22 am

Exile wrote:
yoda wrote:

It's a bung, and a bad one. Directly, a billion quid to guarantee the support of ten frothing flat-earthers who look slightly less palatable than Ghengis Khan. Great move from May. Found that magic money tree when it suited her.

Lets hope she can find a way of knocking it off that £100Bn the EU are trying to screw us for.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:48 am

Cully wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

I mean, sure they all failed in their attempt to be PM. I feel that is taking away colour rather than adding it to the "story" though by simplifying like that, something a lot of people here seem to like to do. If we are going to compare Corbyn to other leaders lets at least do a fair job of it. One lost support not gained and the other won support but percentages, the popular vote, would indicate not as much as Corbyn. That's pretty important when you are coming from behind, like Corbyn and Kinnock were. You can't blame them for previous administrators errors.

Dear Theresa failed in that objective too. She won 317 seats and 43% of the vote, she also lost 13 seats which is worse than Kinnock and Corbyn. That's not a majority (she had one before the election mind. Weird that it got whittled away). Maybe she should "accept defeat" and step down to? Call another election until we get a real result?

As for the bonus, which one is deluded? You've got me there? Callaghan for actually thinking he could run an election after a vote of no confidence?

My point is that losing an election isn't necessarily grounds to resign and that context in these "stories" is important.

Previous
Return to General Chat & Prediction League