Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

2017 General Election Thread

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
swampysaddler
Glitterati

2017 General Election Thread

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:10 am

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Re: We are going to the Polls.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:14 am

Bye bye Jezza :lol:

Last Autumn I said he had until April in the job. I miscalculated the GE by 2 months!.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:14 pm

At least we shan't have to put up with Soundy telling us how Jezza will wipe the floor with all and sundry.....

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Labour to be crushed, which may sound good to a staunch tory, but even they would admit that they need some kind effective opposition. It's just healthier for a democracy.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:At least we shan't have to put up with Soundy telling us how Jezza will wipe the floor with all and sundry.....

What has happened to the Reverend and his ramblings ?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:23 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:At least we shan't have to put up with Soundy telling us how Jezza will wipe the floor with all and sundry.....

He has been barred for ruining so many threads and pissing off many posters.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

He has been barred for ruining so many threads and pissing off many posters.

Thought it was quiet round here.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Labour to be crushed, which may sound good to a staunch tory, but even they would admit that they need some kind effective opposition. It's just healthier for a democracy.

Corbyn has been cast in the media as positively Trotskyist, and a bumbling, ineffective leader of the opposition. Whilst the latter is certainly true, his policies bring a lot more to the table for the average voter than relentless, grinding austerity and sustained cuts, collapsing living standards and marginalisation for the poor, disabled and minorities. Not that you'll hear about them in the media, which is hell-bent on character assassination at the expense of any discussion of politics.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Exile wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Labour to be crushed, which may sound good to a staunch tory, but even they would admit that they need some kind effective opposition. It's just healthier for a democracy.

Corbyn has been cast in the media as positively Trotskyist, and a bumbling, ineffective leader of the opposition. Whilst the latter is certainly true, his policies bring a lot more to the table for the average voter than relentless, grinding austerity and sustained cuts, collapsing living standards and marginalisation for the poor, disabled and minorities. Not that you'll hear about them in the media, which is hell-bent on character assassination at the expense of any discussion of politics.

The bloke and Labour are finished.
It will be a whitewash in June.
Why do you think Teresa May has called it ? Labour are at their lowest with this IRA supporting, anti Armed Forces, EU loving parasite in charge.
Labour are finished. Local elections will prove that next month.
I agree with Saigon, we need a credible opposition and Corbyn CANT offer it.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 am

swampysaddler wrote:... with this IRA supporting, anti Armed Forces, EU loving parasite in charge.

I don't rate Corbyn either but I am disappointed to see that you swallow wholesale the distorted half-truths and lies that the empires of Murdoch and Dacre spew out.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:45 am

Pedagogue wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:... with this IRA supporting, anti Armed Forces, EU loving parasite in charge.

I don't rate Corbyn either but I am disappointed to see that you swallow wholesale the distorted half-truths and lies that the empires of Murdoch and Dacre spew out.

He is an IRA sympathiser and he doesn't like the armed forces, or anything to do with war, regardless of humanitarian work that they do. This is clear. One thing he is not, and that is EU Supporting.

Nothing to do with the press, it's just blatantly obvious that he is a huge fan of Gerry Adams and gang. Get him in a room on his own and ask him whether he prefers the unification of Ireland or the retention of Northern Island as a part of the UK and I know where he'll stick his loyalty to.

The bloke is a massive cretin. His portrayal by the press if you ask me is very kind. He's always portrayed as a 'nice man with good policys' and a 'weak leader'.

He's gorra gew.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:17 am

When's Tony coming back? **shiver** :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:52 am

saddlerken wrote:He's always portrayed as a 'nice man with good policys' and a 'weak leader'.

Because what Britain needs is a Poundland Thatcher, so weak she's scared of her own party, whose only policies involve self-enrichment for herself and the rest of the 1%. How do the media portray her?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Exile wrote:
saddlerken wrote:He's always portrayed as a 'nice man with good policys' and a 'weak leader'.

Because what Britain needs is a Poundland Thatcher, so weak she's scared of her own party, whose only policies involve self-enrichment for herself and the rest of the 1%. How do the media portray her?

Indeed, certain media outlet's portrayal of May as some second coming of Thatcher are quite amusing if you forget the damage it will cause in the long run.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Who gets your vote Derby, Corbyn or Farron? (SHUDDER)

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Not much of a credible option really nowadays is there Ken. I certainly wont be voting for Teresa and co, she couldnt even do a vaguely credible job in running her dept when she was a cabinet minister. Plus her pathetic toading to that cock end Trump and the dark age loving Saudi royal family illustrates her complete lack of moral courage.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:21 pm

I haven't made my mind up yet but it will be ukip or tory. one thing i am pleased with is the talk of scrapping the foreign aid budget :D poor old india will have to fund their own space programme :lol:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:49 pm

chunkster wrote:I haven't made my mind up yet but it will be ukip or tory. one thing i am pleased with is the talk of scrapping the foreign aid budget :D poor old india will have to fund their own space programme :lol:

Foreign Aid - parcels of food stamped with the union flag dropped from Hercules transporters - Doesn't that send a message?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:03 pm

Wragbyred wrote:
chunkster wrote:I haven't made my mind up yet but it will be ukip or tory. one thing i am pleased with is the talk of scrapping the foreign aid budget :D poor old india will have to fund their own space programme :lol:

Foreign Aid - parcels of food stamped with the union flag dropped from Hercules transporters - Doesn't that send a message?

It would probably be sensible to maintain the practice of dropping food parcels from Hercules transporters - in a year or two there could well be a need to carry out such operations over Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Prestwick, Dundee ........... :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: 2017 General Election Thread

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:

It would probably be sensible to maintain the practice of dropping food parcels from Hercules transporters - in a year or two there could well be a need to carry out such operations over Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Prestwick, Dundee ........... :mrgreen:

Best drop a deep fat fryer with every parcel or they'll still starve.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:57 am

This government won't scrape an AID to India, they are too committed to establishing a trade deal with India and they'll leave that in as a sweetener.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 pm

What a choice a tory leader who would like to be another Thatcher and a Labour leader who likes terrorists (hamas and Ira)more than this country.
I will vote always do but not for either of above so hope we have a monster looney candidate.
My vote really is a waste of time as being in Walsall North the labour party could put up a monkey and still win.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:My vote really is a waste of time as being in Walsall North the Labour Party could put up a monkey and still win.

The Labour majority at the last election was only 1,900 and is classed as a marginal seat. The Tories might have won it if they had not put up Douglas Hansen-Luke as their candidate - a real odious tosser. I mean, the folk of Bloxwich, Blakenall, Goscote, Willenhall, etc. are really going to relate to a merchant banker living in a gated mansion estate in Bedfordshire!!! Even the local Tories despaired of the candidate inflicted on them by Central Office.

PT
Site Addict

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:My vote really is a waste of time as being in Walsall North the Labour Party could put up a monkey and still win.

The Labour majority at the last election was only 1,900 and is classed as a marginal seat. The Tories might have won it if they had not put up Douglas Hansen-Luke as their candidate - a real odious tosser. I mean, the folk of Bloxwich, Blakenall, Goscote, Willenhall, etc. are really going to relate to a merchant banker living in a gated mansion estate in Bedfordshire!!! Even the local Tories despaired of the candidate inflicted on them by Central Office.

My constituency is Bootle.

The third biggest Labour majority in the country at nearly 28,000. The lowest election spend of any constituency in the country as it is a forgone conclusion. Labour could field a tub of lard, let alone a monkey and it would win.

The most entertaining thing last time was seeing Paul Nuttall of the UKIPs suggesting he had a chance and getting whipped. He's subsequently gone from being our local twerp into a national twerp, which must make his mum and dad very proud.

I think The Conservative Party have a chance in the overall election.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:14 pm

reedswood sadler wrote: and a Labour leader who likes terrorists (hamas and Ira)more than this country.

Does he though?

I think he has failings as a leader but this sounds extreme.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote: and a Labour leader who likes terrorists (hamas and Ira)more than this country.

Does he though?

Maybe extreme but has publicly mentioned his love/admoration/respect for Gerry Adams and the IRA and Hamas. He also wants to scrap Trident and reduce spending on armed forces leaving country without a defence, good or bad depending on your view.
He asks for backing and loyalty from his MPS when he has the worst record for voting against his own party,many labour supporters do not trust him or like him and unfortunatly get wiped out with him as leader at a time when we need a strong 2nd party.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 pm

derbysaddler wrote:

This government won't scrape an AID to India, they are too committed to establishing a trade deal with India and they'll leave that in as a sweetener.
I think you are right, i am pretty sure she has now backtracked :(

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 am

reedswood sadler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Does he though?

Maybe extreme but has publicly mentioned his love/admoration/respect for Gerry Adams and the IRA and Hamas. He also wants to scrap Trident and reduce spending on armed forces leaving country without a defence, good or bad depending on your view.
He asks for backing and loyalty from his MPS when he has the worst record for voting against his own party,many labour supporters do not trust him or like him and unfortunatly get wiped out with him as leader at a time when we need a strong 2nd party.

Apart from the love bit and leaving the UK without a defence, I think most of that is reasonably accurate, the opinion of which comes down the personal preference.

Quite different to the original though, which infers some kind of treasonable behaviour.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:49 am

reedswood sadler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Does he though?

Setting aside that personal attack, what particular policies from Labour are stopping you from voting for them?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Exile wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Does he though?

Setting aside that personal attack, what particular policies from Labour are stopping you from voting for them?

Is it the fact that there's no such thing as a magic money tree, Tone? :?

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League