Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford sound sensible

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Whitters
Site Addict

Brentford sound sensible

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:51 pm

A lot of thought seems to be going on at Brentford - anything we could gain from their ideas?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... e-outcasts

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Brentford sound sensible

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Think we're committed to our academy approach. Financial circumstances and all that. I get their idea, and think it's a great one, but the costs associated must exceed an academy approach, and we can barely afford a first team, let alone a B team.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Just goes to show how utterly brilliant you have to be to play pro football for a living.
At our school we had our own Beckham type player who had unreal talent and outshone everyone. Just HAD to go on to play football for a living....where did he end up? played for 4th Division Torquay for a couple of years, broke his leg and his career in footy was over.
Whilst we sometimes deride some of the players we watch on a Saturday afternoon, these are the very elite, even though they may only be good enough to play in the 3rd Division!
If you are really good you 'could' make good money in the game, but very, very, few ever get to make big bucks, and, with the whole of Europe to chose from, it becomes even harder to make a living, no matter how good you may feel you are.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Twaddle. What little success Brentford have had (mid table Championship mediocrity) is just on the back of a sugar daddy owner. We know that better than most. They took our manager, assistant manager and two of our best players simply because they had his money to spend, while our owner trousers half a million a year of our cash instead...

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 am

aaaae wrote:Twaddle. What little success Brentford have had (mid table Championship mediocrity) is just on the back of a sugar daddy owner. We know that better than most. They took our manager, assistant manager and two of our best players simply because they had his money to spend, while our owner trousers half a million a year of our cash instead...

Didn't you know that all this 'spare' cash goes towards the 'infrastructure' of the club? :lol: :lol: :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
aaaae wrote:Twaddle. What little success Brentford have had (mid table Championship mediocrity) is just on the back of a sugar daddy owner. We know that better than most. They took our manager, assistant manager and two of our best players simply because they had his money to spend, while our owner trousers half a million a year of our cash instead...

Didn't you know that all this 'spare' cash goes towards the 'infrastructure' of the club? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those self-cleaning Cypriot swimming pools don't come cheap ya know! :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:34 pm

tinned wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Not even as cheap as self-cleaning Cypriots? :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Not even as cheap as self-cleaning Cypriots? :wink:

What about self-cleaning Cypriot swimming pool cleaners?

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 pm

In all seriousness, we do this anyway with the our academy, just we tend to snap them up at 16, rather than 18 - a fair majority of 'our' youth team players were jettisoned by our neighbours as schoolboys.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Unless I'm missing something surely the Walsall academy is a success.

Deeney, Rico, Grigg, Paterson all moved on for decent fees in recent times.

Are the other 23 league one clubs all regularly producing academy players for championship clubs to snap up, I'd be surprised.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:58 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Unless I'm missing something surely the Walsall academy is a success.

Are the other 23 league one clubs all regularly producing academy players for championship clubs to snap up, I'd be surprised.

Only Rico Henry came through our Academy ranks. Deeney (released by Aston Villa) was picked up from Chelmsley Town in non-League while Grigg and Paterson were released from other clubs' academies.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:48 am

Pedagogue wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Unless I'm missing something surely the Walsall academy is a success.

Only Rico Henry came through our Academy ranks. Deeney (released by Aston Villa) was picked up from Chelmsley Town in non-League while Grigg and Paterson were released from other clubs' academies.

Yeah Deeney isn't right far enough. Grigg and Paterson were still here fairly young and played in various Walsall youth teams so I'd class them as academy prospects rather than say someone like Butterfield.

Given the numbers produced though does it really need to be ripped up and replaced by this Brentford method (and it's not like Brentford are filled with their academy players when you look at their team yesterday).

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:38 am

Off the top of my head from the current batch Kory Roberts came from Birmingham and Maz Kouyhar came from Cov I believe.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:22 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Off the top of my head from the current batch Kory Roberts came from Birmingham and Maz Kouyhar came from Cov I believe.

A Blue Nostril I know confirms the above about Roberts, and is also laying claim to Matt Preston as well.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:16 pm

They've still come to Walsall at 15 or 16 and played in numerous youth teams here so been partly developed.

Ones I don't count are people like Mantom and Sawyers who came here as teenagers but had obviously been developed by West Brom. That's the difference to me.

Return to General Chat & Prediction League