Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

And so it begins.

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
swampysaddler
Glitterati

And so it begins.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Finally.
It is going to be a roller coaster ride, which I for one will enjoy, but we are finally taking out country back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39431428

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: And so it begins.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:44 pm

swampysaddler wrote:Finally.
It is going to be a roller coaster ride, which I for one will enjoy, but we are finally taking out country back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39431428

Love the quote from a North West MP who said that remoaners were like someone who has got on a plane that is not going where they want, so they hope the plane crashes!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:40 pm

Whilst 52% of the country will be delighted today has arrived, it is rather puzzling that the Government's carefully crafted letter and tone establishes the following ambitions:

As close a relationship as possible with our continental friends

Free trade with the 27 EU members

No "hard" border between the Republic of Ireland and N. Ireland

Close cooperation on security

Also stating that now more than ever, the world needs the liberal and democratic values of Europe. Values which the UK shares.

Remind me, are we leaving or re-joining then!!

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Whilst 52% of the country will be delighted today has arrived, it is rather puzzling that the Government's carefully crafted letter and tone establishes the following ambitions:

Also stating that now more than ever, the world needs the liberal and democratic values of Europe. Values which the UK shares.

We are leaving SG. To quote Theresa May "Our laws will be made in Westminster, Cardiff, Belfast and Edinburgh".
Get over it buttercup, you flogged a dead horse and lost.
Move on or are you relying on Gina Miller coming up with another spanner in the works that will get laughed off again ?
You know Gina Miller, the one who wasn't even born in this country and funded by her multi millionaire husband.

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Love the quote from a North West MP who said that remoaners were like someone who has got on a plane that is not going where they want, so they hope the plane crashes!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

more like someone who has got on a plane that's not going where they want and they're worried its going to crash!

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:08 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Whilst 52% of the country will be delighted today has arrived, it is rather puzzling that the Government's carefully crafted letter and tone establishes the following ambitions:

We are leaving SG. To quote Theresa May "Our laws will be made in Westminster, Cardiff, Belfast and Edinburgh".
Move on or are you relying on Gina Miller coming up with another spanner in the works that will get laughed off again ?
You know Gina Miller, the one who wasn't even born in this country and funded by her multi millionaire husband.

Of course the 48% should shut up and watch the disaster unfold without further debate. After all, the likes of John Redwood, Bill Cash and the "barstewards" in John Major's government all kept schtum on the issue throughout the 90s and onwards, didn't they? No-one muzzled Farage spending two decades making a career out of EU bashing, whilst ironically being paid by the EU.

As for the taking back control of laws issue, I've yet to hear anyone point to a single important law that will be "repatriated" that makes fudge all difference. Care to give us one?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 pm

seventies_saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Love the quote from a North West MP who said that remoaners were like someone who has got on a plane that is not going where they want, so they hope the plane crashes!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

more like someone who has got on a plane that's not going where they want and they're worried its going to crash!

Still clutching at straws Seventies ?
Accept you flogged a dead horse and lost (more than likely like I will a week on Saturday).
Why can't you grasp this opportunity and accept we have left the corrupt EU and it is now time for us to put the "Great" back into Great Britain.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Of course the 48% should shut up and watch the disaster unfold without further debate. After all, the likes of John Redwood, Bill Cash and the "barstewards" in John Major's government all kept schtum on the issue throughout the 90s and onwards, didn't they? No-one muzzled Farage spending two decades making a career out of EU bashing, whilst ironically being paid by the EU.

As for the taking back control of laws issue, I've yet to hear anyone point to a single important law that will be "repatriated" that makes fudge all difference. Care to give us one?

48% that lost and now have to accept we have left the EU. Get over it. If the shoe was on the other foot do you think us Leavers would keep harping on ? Would we be arranging marches in London the Saturday before it was triggered and covering a "Shrine" for the Copper killed last week with our bile ?
Simple answer............no.
As I have already said "Get over it buttercup" you lost.
Laws, for one we get rid of the "Human rights act" preached by your beloved EU.
If you love the EU so much Super why not go and live in an EU Country ?
Oh that's right the rest of Europe are waking up to the corrupt EU and will be leaving also.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:10 am

swampysaddler wrote:48% that lost and now have to accept we have left the EU. Get over it. If the shoe was on the other foot do you think us Leavers would keep harping on ? Would we be arranging marches in London the Saturday before it was triggered and covering a "Shrine" for the Copper killed last week with our bile ?
Simple answer............no.
As I have already said "Get over it buttercup" you lost.
Laws, for one we get rid of the "Human rights act" preached by your beloved EU.
If you love the EU so much Super why not go and live in an EU Country ?
Oh that's right the rest of Europe are waking up to the corrupt EU and will be leaving also.

Well, for one we would be embroiled in challenges to have a re-run, the 'vast' winning margin being within Farage's zone of non-compliance. The seething bile is far from one-sided, so claims that there wouldn't be an equally vocal reaction seems premature. I would point you in the stream of hate filled effluent smeared across social media following the perfectly legitimate legal challenges as adequate evidence for this.

Whatever you think we have 'got back' over this, I sincerely hope the experiment is worth both the increasingly obvious economic difficulties and general political and diplomatic decline of the UK on the world stage. Congrats etc. :oops:

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:43 am

Still clutching at straws Seventies ?
Accept you flogged a dead horse and lost (more than likely like I will a week on Saturday).
Why can't you grasp this opportunity and accept we have left the corrupt EU and it is now time for us to put the "Great" back into Great Britain.[/quote]

I agree that the EU has many flaws swampster. But however much you brexit cheerleaders try to browbeat us with your daily express rhetoric we can't help but worry about the flaws in your argument and the risks ahead. The impact of not getting a good trade deal with the EU for example and the risk of Nissan, Toyota and the other car firms moving production out of the UK when a 10% tariff is slapped on exports

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:53 am

seventies_saddler wrote:The impact of not getting a good trade deal with the EU for example and the risk of Nissan, Toyota and the other car firms moving production out of the UK when a 10% tariff is slapped on exports

Unlikely. The biggest single industrial bloc in the EU is the German automotive industry and its biggest foreign customer is the UK. Considering the financial clout that Germany exercises within the EU, can you see them accepting what would be a "tit-for-tat" tariff? No way.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:17 am

Pedagogue wrote:
seventies_saddler wrote:The impact of not getting a good trade deal with the EU for example and the risk of Nissan, Toyota and the other car firms moving production out of the UK when a 10% tariff is slapped on exports

Unlikely. The biggest single industrial bloc in the EU is the German automotive industry and its biggest foreign customer is the UK. Considering the financial clout that Germany exercises within the EU, can you see them accepting what would be a "tit-for-tat" tariff? No way.

I may have missed the point at which the German automotive industry was elected en masse to negotiate Britain's future trade terms. While I acknowledge they will have some influence, this appears to have been magnified into some enormous over-arching power block above and beyond anything else. It ain't.

Trade terms will be negotiated by the EU legistators under their own terms. We will have to abide by this result, along with all other future EU agreements upon which we have just narrowly voted to have no influence.

The experiment is underway!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:37 am

Rather than constantly complain why can't people just accept it and work with it? It's impossible to move forward efficiently with idiots dragging their heals because they didn't get what they wanted.

I voted to stay. I accepted straight away. I move on. So should everyone else, it's happening!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:45 am

scott_powell wrote:Rather than constantly complain why can't people just accept it and work with it? It's impossible to move forward efficiently with idiots dragging their heals because they didn't get what they wanted.

I voted to stay. I accepted straight away. I move on. So should everyone else, it's happening!

The majority of what I read is people pointing stuff out, not complaining. There seems to be a reaction against this, but what is to be expected with such a narrow vote margin?

I think this is a natural and quite normal part of any process. Dare I suggest to stop moaning about people highlighting quite reasonable concerns?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:50 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Rather than constantly complain why can't people just accept it and work with it? It's impossible to move forward efficiently with idiots dragging their heals because they didn't get what they wanted.

The majority of what I read is people pointing stuff out, not complaining. There seems to be a reaction against this, but what is to be expected with such a narrow vote margin?

I think this is a natural and quite normal part of any process. Dare I suggest to stop moaning about people highlighting quite reasonable concerns?

Being 25 I'm often surrounded by self entitled millennials who complain without having any in depth knowledge or solutions. They just reiterate what they hear in the media even if it's bollocks. It annoys me. Surely its better as a whole to work with what you have?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:04 am

scott_powell wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Being 25 I'm often surrounded by self entitled millennials who complain without having any in depth knowledge or solutions. They just reiterate what they hear in the media even if it's bollocks. It annoys me. Surely its better as a whole to work with what you have?

In an ideal world, yes. The more I interact with people though, the more I realise that everyone is different in viewpoint and outlook.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:33 am

I voted to remain but its happening so be it.

What does bother me though and what should be scrutinised in depth is how this whole process is managed for the benefit of the UK. I have no confidence in the tin pot assortment of ministers and advisers we have to do this. They have no long term planning considerations and allow themselves to be governed by whatever certain media outlets want. Instead we have random buzzwords like hard brexit, a blue red and white brexit...what the actual fudge does this even mean. Its playground stuff and beyond embarrassing. Most of the pointers they listed that would change once we are out of the EU they are now backtracking on. Take back control baby!

As much as its amusing to listen to some Brexit supporters happily fantasise about some new reality to be created involving red telephone boxes, Village cricket and golly wogs again there is no substance to it. So i'll ask them, once we have unhitched from the EU, do you really think UK PLC will stop selling every sodding asset this country has to multinational business organisations, oligarchs and Chinese/ Middle Eastern sovereign wealth funds? your media, power generation, manufacturing base and service sectors will still be owned by those dastardly foreigners. Except this time it will be easier for them to run roughshod over our assets once those sinister EU economic and employment laws are out of the way. Food standard laws will probably go out the window as well, allowing US food crap to flood our markets.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Blimey....this is like reading the Independent online....

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Blimey....this is like reading the Independent online....

A lot better than having to put up with the constant belligerence of Lord Dipstick of Lizardshire. :wink:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:20 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Could be worse. It could read like this rag: Image

Oh, hang on...... :lol:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Daily express headline roulette: usually contains the following.

Immigrants
House prices
Cure for death
Pensions!
Cure for cancer
Pensions for immigrants!
Diana
Free cures and houses for immigrants!
Death...how to avoid it.
Etc

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:26 pm

Just spotted the irony of that front cover, normally wailing about the EU, but hey have a free Belgian bun.

Unpatriotic if you ask me.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:25 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Just spotted the irony of that front cover, normally wailing about the EU, but hey have a free Belgian bun.

Unpatriotic if you ask me.

Surely they should have offered a barm cake, or a barmy cake in the Swampster's copy.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

A lot better than having to put up with the constant belligerence of Lord Dipstick of Lizardshire. :wink:

Talking of Lizard Man he has been remarkably quiet lately !
Is he on a ban or something ? :mrgreen:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:01 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Daily express headline roulette: usually contains the following.

Immigrants
House prices
Cure for death
Pensions!
Cure for cancer
Pensions for immigrants!
Diana
Death...how to avoid it.
Etc

I stopped buying it when they ran out of Princess Di death conspiracies. :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:46 am

So it begins. All that remains is to see what deal the EU will give the UK. Bet it doesn't involve soft borders and free trade at no cost.

yoda
Site Addict

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:50 am

derbysaddler wrote:Daily express headline roulette: usually contains the following.

Cure for cancer

:lol: Sure enough, that's today's front page.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 am

We are not leaving...mark my words!

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:35 am

Immigrants
House prices
Cure for death
Pensions!
Cure for cancer
Pensions for immigrants!
Diana
Death...how to avoid it.
Etc

You forgot freak weather no one else predicts and that never happens.(they use, shall we say, a maverick source)

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League