Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

London Attack

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: London Attack

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:09 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Swamps, if these religious doctrines were consistent and peaceful I would have no issue, even if people were using these holy books for bad. Unfortunately, these holy books DO tell you to kill non believers. It is encouranged and some idiots take it literally (Well, why shouldn't they? They believe after all!). The Quran has over 500 quotes which encourage followers to kill in the name of Muhammad. Yes, I know 99.99% of Muslims are peaceful, but the minority will always ruin it for the majority by following these ridiculous fairy tales.

If a million people had guns in the UK and one tosser decides to kill 30 school kids in a mass shooting, guns would banned ... same principle. The minority always prevail in these situations and for society to effectively move forward you need to cut certain things out.

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority"

Quran (4:74) - "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."

Quran (9:14) - "Fight against them so that Allah will punish them by your hands and disgrace them and give you victory over them and heal the breasts of a believing people."

Theres just 3 from the Quran.

Shall I go through the many disgusting acts in the bible now? :lol:

I agree 100% Scott.
Religion has a lot to answer for.
But we can't tar all of them with one brush.
I will be honest I hate anything religious, the only time I go to church is for funerals and weddings.

I know 99% of Muslims are peaceful and I would never act different towards a Muslim or any other believer of a specific religion. I would only air my views on religion if it's brought up in conversation. My issues are with the fundamentals of religion as a whole and the naivety of believing in a Deity.

These issues range from arguments from ignorance to extremism.

My favourite one is -

Idiot - "The world is too complex to be natural. There must be a creator. Such complexity cannot come from nothing" ...

Me, also an idiot - "Well, if god were able to create such a complex world, surely he would have to be more complex than what he's creating in the first place to be able to create it? If so, by your definition, he MUST have been created too! So who created him?"

Idiot - "He's always there though"

Me, also an idiot - "Well, why couldn't the universe always have been there?"

Idiot - "Because it must have been created. Something can't come from nothing"

Me, also an idiot - "But, again by your definition, surely god can't come from nothing?"

Idiot - "But he's god"

ETC ETC ETC

.... I've had these conversations with many Christians and it's like pissing against the wind. They are so ignorant when faced with simple logic. I am convinced we would advance far quicker as a society without religion. Makes me loff when Christians laugh at people who follow Scientology because of how ridiculous it is ... Take a look in the mirror with your outdated pile of dogshite

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:49 pm

through out history religion has been the cause of many conflicts but only when zealots and nutters have taken it to the extreme.
This guy was a nutter who happened to be muslim, The vast majority of terror attacks are by nutters who happen to be muslims this is not the fault of the religion.The IRA was full of nutters who happened to be catholic again not the fault of the religion.
Both the bible and the Quran are full of violence so are many video games which are used as excuses instead of blaming the individual doing these attacks against the public who include muslims and catholics who are and where not invilved in terrorism.

As for people who believe in religion have mental issues everyone on this board has them we support Walsall a little team with no money and very little ambition instead of being glory hunters.

UTS

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:04 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:through out history religion has been the cause of many conflicts but only when zealots and nutters have taken it to the extreme.
This guy was a nutter who happened to be muslim, The vast majority of terror attacks are by nutters who happen to be muslims this is not the fault of the religion.The IRA was full of nutters who happened to be catholic again not the fault of the religion.
Both the bible and the Quran are full of violence so are many video games which are used as excuses instead of blaming the individual doing these attacks against the public who include muslims and catholics who are and where not invilved in terrorism.

As for people who believe in religion have mental issues everyone on this board has them we support Walsall a little team with no money and very little ambition instead of being glory hunters.

UTS

But people know video games aren't real. Unfortunately many believe in these holy books.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:42 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:And what winds me up is the only tie he had with Islam was the fact that he had converted. He was a black guy who was mentally deranged and a violent thug. why should the Muslim community have to keep saying sorry and condemning these attacks when it really has no bearing on them :|

Amidst a huge pile of gubbins trolled out by various confused and aggressive internet types, I do think a couple of points can't be avoided. One of them is that the current run of terrorism is a muslim problem.

Islam is essentially a pile of bollocks. Unfortunately, it is the vehicle for some to act violently in pursuit of more people becoming adherents (good luck with that). What they need to do, and haven't been doing enough of in my view, is totally and comprehensively distancing themselves from the violent route and consistently condemning it.

But there's not enough clear condemnation. There is too much sympathy with their deluded ISIS 'brothers' and 'sisters' of the faith. There seems to be a latent amount of anger at long concluded historic episodes and unnecessary annoyance at other faiths and belief systems. Add in current issues with Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Palestine (slightly different, I think Israel is a huge part of the problem), some of which are viewed as a contorted conspiracy by many, and there is a volatile mix of discontent.

It's important to recognise the comparatively low number of extremists, but also the fairly substantial amount of convert support of the faithful getting one over on the big, bad defenders of heretical belief systems. In short, Islam needs to grow up and evolve into something better suited to the 21st century. Unfortunately this is difficult to square with what is described as the inalienable 1500 year old word of god.

Deranged he was. But the recruiting sergeants of ISIS in prisons know just who to target. Black, lost, not very intelligent and with a plate of chips on his shoulder.Perfect.

Christianity, for all its faults and myths passed off as fact , at least started as a mutual aid society for the dispossessed. Islam was a tool of the politically powerful from the start. It was a political creation. There is no archaeological or historical record of migration from modern day Saudi Arabia to what is now Syria/Iraq/Iran at the time the myth claims. Islam started out as more of a political tool than Christianity and even Christianity needed the secularisation of the Enlightenment before being even partially separated from political power.

It's not hopeless. A recent programme on Muslim "apostasy" estimated a combined four million atheists in Pakistan and Saudi. And probably more crucially, there will be millions if not billions of believers who just don't want the Koran and the Hadiths dominating their every waking moment. The future is to a large degree up to them.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week4 ... -believers

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:33 am

Wow. A mOssive slap in the face for what I thought. Jakarta is an absolute pleasure and the people friendly and helpful. So much for the perception of Islamic suspicion and distrust, people here couldn't be more helpful and genuine. Plus the society is really supportive, added to which it's about 40 times safer than Manila.

I guess I'll never square the theist aspect, but as a society, Islam functions really well.

Food for thought indeed.

Previous
Return to General Chat & Prediction League