Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

3 wheels on Scunthorpe's wagon...

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

3 wheels on Scunthorpe's wagon...

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:09 am

While still entertaining wild thoughts about reaching the play-offs, I started wondering "whose current place could we take?". Then I looked at the League One table and also at current form ... just as an indication, take the most recent 7 games as a benchmark.

In our most recent 7 games we've won 3, drawn 2 and lost 2 - that's 11 points in 7 games.

Scunthorpe's last 7 games have seen 0 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses - 3 points from 7 games (which is actually worse than Coventry City's last 7!!!)

So in 7 games we have gained 8 points on Scunthorpe United.

We are currently 12 points behind them, with 11 games to go - and if current form continues for both teams, it's on!!!

The Scunthorpe equivalent of UTS (iron-bru) is, as you might expect, very much doom-and-gloom - their form has plummeted to the extent that mid-table is being spoken about - and this is the team that was 6 points clear at the top of the table at the end of November. In those last 7 games, incidentally, Scunthorpe have scored 3 goals, conceding 9.

Well, I can dream, can't I ?? :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: 3 wheels on Scunthorpe's wagon...

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:10 am

Dream on!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 am

Exile wrote:Dream on!

O ye of little faith....... :mrgreen:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:39 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:While still entertaining wild thoughts about reaching the play-offs, I started wondering "whose current place could we take?". Then I looked at the League One table and also at current form ... just as an indication, take the most recent 7 games as a benchmark.

In our most recent 7 games we've won 3, drawn 2 and lost 2 - that's 11 points in 7 games.

Scunthorpe's last 7 games have seen 0 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses - 3 points from 7 games (which is actually worse than Coventry City's last 7!!!)

So in 7 games we have gained 8 points on Scunthorpe United.

We are currently 12 points behind them, with 11 games to go - and if current form continues for both teams, it's on!!!

The Scunthorpe equivalent of UTS (iron-bru) is, as you might expect, very much doom-and-gloom - their form has plummeted to the extent that mid-table is being spoken about - and this is the team that was 6 points clear at the top of the table at the end of November. In those last 7 games, incidentally, Scunthorpe have scored 3 goals, conceding 9.

Well, I can dream, can't I ?? :D

It's the mantom effect

Also noticed downing gave away a penalty yesterday playing for franchise

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:43 am

I'ts a funny old game :lol: a few months ago we were talking about mid table obscurity and even relegation, and now we have the audacity to talk about top 6 :lol: to be honest it's great to be able to even think about it after last years squad being ripped apart, losing some great players and our physio getting the managers job :shock:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:09 pm

WE can, we will, everyone believe! We can do it.

Another 3 points on Tuesday night and we'll be up there with the bigger boys, but please, please, please, don't leave it to the 93rd minute again! There is only so much us old 'un's can take! :D

Another 30,000 (less three unfortunately) to Wembley again??

Scunny's plight is a shame, but their wheels have most deffo come off the rails, come on Bolton, secure that second auto place and give my local betting shop the willies!! :mrgreen:

UTS always................

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:05 pm

I actually think we have more chance of overtaking Bradford. They are not exactly setting the league on fire at the moment and with a win on Tuesday we will be 7 points behind them having played the same number of games. :D Their last 10 games W3 D5 L2

Besides we owe them one from last season. :mrgreen:

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Despite their name, their fans are reasonable human beings who I've little against (I reckon I could find reasons to dislike over half the teams in the top 4 divisions, probably typical for a middle aged footie fan?). If they bomb out, I've got nothing against anybody apart from Bolton who definitely think themselves as massive like the barclays west and south of us in the west mids.

Unfortunately, we aint good enough to make up a nine point gap in 11 games - but we've deffo made progress since the start of the year which is all you could ask for considering we lost a miniumum of 3 and a 1/2 championship quality players in the summer.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:07 pm

We won't get into the play-offs. Probably need to win nine of remaining eleven which just won't happen. No chance.

Best we can hope for is a top half finish and therefore a seed in the first round of next year's Milk Cup. To be fair our cup record against teams below us is so bad, even that might not be an advantage.

So as I've posted elsewhere, the rest of this season should be about preparing for next year. It is quite a big advantage we now have, knowing which league we'll be in next year and we'll also have a pretty good handle on budget. A five month run in is a luxury few others have.

As for Scunny, I'm with Boringteacher. Nowt against them. They were very unlucky yesterday. Possibly the worst off-side decision ever. They will get a win soon and coast into the play-offs from where I hope they join Fleetwood in swapping divisions with Wolves and Wigan.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:12 am

I remember a certain team doing the same as Scunny this time last year....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:49 pm

An indication of just how it's not happening for Scunthorpe at the moment can be seen from their game at Gillingham today. With 15 minutes to go they were leading 0-2, yet managed to give Gillingham 3 penalties in those last 15 minutes and lose the game 3-2.

Scunthorpe's last 10 games have yielded 6 points.
Walsall's last 10 games have brought us 16 points.

Scunthorpe still have to face Bradford City, Millwall, and Bolton Wanderers, but they do have an apparent "gimme" in the final game of their season when they're at home to Coventry City.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 am

Their chance, like us it seems, was last year when they surged up the table and just missed out on the playoffs.

They would have given Barnsley a real battle, unlike us and Millwall who looked spent.

Return to General Chat & Prediction League