Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bali

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Whitters
Site Addict

Bali

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:33 am

Anyone been there?
What did you think?
Just been for a week - the beaches are just like a swarm of fly-tippers have been there - filthy and polluted but the people are ok.
Took ages to get used to their money as well.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Bali

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 am

Bali has to be one of the easiest places in Asia to chill out in.

As you say the people are ace, lacking the sometimes odd mix of trepidation, infatuation and opportunism sometimes encountered elsewhere in the region. The food is great and the island is small enough to navigate easily, yet varied enough to provide superb experiences and scenes. I found it really well geared for tourism, without being silly.

Ubud is superb. Moderately hippified, but nothing extreme, fantastic evening performances in the temples and a convenient centre to explore.

I'm guessing you may have stayed in Kuta beach which attracts surfers and can get busy. Hope you made it further around the island - the bat cave and beach temple were really good I thought.

Can't say much about the money, just something you get used to over time in any place.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:20 pm

My mate said it was probably the only place he has been on holiday and felt safe, after the bombing they are on high alert all the time so as not to let it happen again. they used to get picked up from the hotel by a guy who had a restaurant on the beach, and ate their meals by candlelight then taken back all for a few pounds :)

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:59 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Bali has to be one of the easiest places in Asia to chill out in.

As you say the people are ace, lacking the sometimes odd mix of trepidation, infatuation and opportunism sometimes encountered elsewhere in the region. The food is great and the island is small enough to navigate easily, yet varied enough to provide superb experiences and scenes. I found it really well geared for tourism, without being silly.

Ubud is superb. Moderately hippified, but nothing extreme, fantastic evening performances in the temples and a convenient centre to explore.

I'm guessing you may have stayed in Kuta beach which attracts surfers and can get busy. Hope you made it further around the island - the bat cave and beach temple were really good I thought.

Can't say much about the money, just something you get used to over time in any place.

Cheers.
Yes, we stayed a few days in Kuta and then moved to Seminyak (it seemed like a good idea at the time).
Didn't quite make it to Ubud as the traffic out of Kuta to there was horrendous and time just ran out.

Chunkster mentioned the bombing - because there's little else to Bali except tourism the Balinese must have hated the guys who did it.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:28 am

I'll be going back in a few weeks, and onto islands further East. Really want to see the Komodo dragons! :wink:

Return to General Chat & Prediction League