Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

The movie thread

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: The movie thread

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Sound_out wrote:Taboo hasn't been bad, got a couple of episodes to catch up on but so far well worth a watch.
I loved it, but my wife couldn't get into it, and i did have to google a couple of things that i couldn't understand because of the dialogue being pants :|

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 pm

chunkster wrote:
Sound_out wrote:Taboo hasn't been bad, got a couple of episodes to catch up on but so far well worth a watch.
I loved it, but my wife couldn't get into it, and i did have to google a couple of things that i couldn't understand because of the dialogue being pants :|

I agree Chunkster, the dialogue was poor in parts. Amazing how it can be done so badly! It's happened on a few other prime time shows too! I think Tom Hardy is a very good actor and would make a great Bond. He's being tipped to replace Daniel Craig when he leaves.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Sound_out wrote:
chunkster wrote:

I agree Chunkster, the dialogue was poor in parts. Amazing how it can be done so badly! It's happened on a few other prime time shows too! I think Tom Hardy is a very good actor and would make a great Bond. He's being tipped to replace Daniel Craig when he leaves.
He is a good actor, I watched him on Jonathan Ross a while back and he seemed to be up himself though, he was good in warrior I think it was called? Taboo was actually financed by himself , he threw a few million at it I think, and at the moment he hasn't recouped anything like he has invested in it, and when you concider his net worth is only about 12 million then it's a massive gamble. But they recon he will recoup his money when it is sold to the likes of the states,Australia Canada and such like

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:04 pm

chunkster wrote:
Sound_out wrote:
chunkster wrote:

He is a good actor, I watched him on Jonathan Ross a while back and he seemed to be up himself though, he was good in warrior I think it was called? Taboo was actually financed by himself , he threw a few million at it I think, and at the moment he hasn't recouped anything like he has invested in it, and when you concider his net worth is only about 12 million then it's a massive gamble. But they recon he will recoup his money when it is sold to the likes of the states,Australia Canada and such like

I enjoyed Warrior and he was also good in The Drop. In fact I can't recall a film where he's been poor, not that I've seen all his movies. He's got an interesting story too, battled drug addiction and alcoholism and is now supposedly teetotal. He does a lot for charity also and the odd bedtime hour on Cbeebies! :wink:

While he would make a great Bond I'm not sure he'd go for it as it does limit other movie options. Time will tell.

Might go and see Logan this week. The's the big Ape in Skull Island too which looks worth a 3D viewing.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:03 am

Watched Skull Island - a fun romp, totally unbelievable but the action was OK. B-

Logan - I really enjoyed the dose of reality present as the background. The story was fair to good in parts. B+

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:53 am

Has anyone here been turned YGA by Beauty and the Beast yet? :D

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:23 am

Watched La La Land Thursday. Thought I'd hate it but I thought it was great!

Saw Get Out Friday and it was phenomenal. Gripping film.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:45 am

Exile wrote:Has anyone here been turned YGA by Beauty and the Beast yet? :D

The wife is dragging me there today. Part of the deal that meant I got to see Trainspotting 2 on release.

Full report to follow...

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:39 am

scott_powell wrote:Watched La La Land Thursday. Thought I'd hate it but I thought it was great!

Saw Get Out Friday and it was phenomenal. Gripping film.
I turned La La Land off after about 20 mins and watched "I don't feel at home in this world anymore". I would give it a 6 out of 10

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
Exile wrote:Has anyone here been turned YGA by Beauty and the Beast yet? :D

The wife is dragging me there today. Part of the deal that meant I got to see Trainspotting 2 on release.

Full report to follow...

Thoughts were thus:

It was okay, but stick with the animated version. It's shorter and more congealed (in my 30s, I've come to appreciate the value of brevity), compared to the self-conscious epic that is the live action version. The reprised songs lack the charm of the originals, and the new musical additions are clearly several notches below the existing ones. A couple are Lloyd-Webber worthy in their pompous dreariness.

Some of the set-pieces with the household-item servants are over-contrived- it's like they're there to justify the remake ("Look, look! We've got CGI these days!"). Watson is perfectly serviceable as Belle. The guy playing Gaston is about the pick of the bunch, in what I imagine wasn't an overly challenging role. Everyone else are on various levels of 'just there.' I'd think twice about taking younger kids to see it- it's probably a bit too long, and in a couple of places too intense, for them.

I'd better get a trip to see the new Planet of the Apes installment out of this.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:55 pm

I'd better get a trip to see the new Planet of the Apes installment out of this.[/quote]
I think i would aim a little higher than that :lol: :mrgreen:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Watched a couple of radically different Brit-flicks in the last week:

I had high hopes (no pun intended) for High Rise, given the stellar cast, and that it came from the director of the brilliant Sightseers. Unfortunately, it was a complete clusterfudge. I genuinely couldn't tell you whether several sociological commentaries were being made in the microcosm it was set in, and that they were so subtle I completely missed them, or there was just the one single over-arching theme that it bashes you repeatedly over the head with: I know I couldn't wait for it to end.

Gave Kingsmen: Secret Service a go last night, and it was the kind of gloriously overblown nonsense I'm coming to love these days. Great fun. Kind of is to the spy-genre what Kick-Ass is to the superhero bubble.

samsara_wfc

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:06 pm

EvenFlow wrote:Watched a couple of radically different Brit-flicks in the last week:

I had high hopes (no pun intended) for High Rise, given the stellar cast, and that it came from the director of the brilliant Sightseers. Unfortunately, it was a complete clusterfudge. I genuinely couldn't tell you whether several sociological commentaries were being made in the microcosm it was set in, and that they were so subtle I completely missed them, or there was just the one single over-arching theme that it bashes you repeatedly over the head with: I know I couldn't wait for it to end.

Gave Kingsmen: Secret Service a go last night, and it was the kind of gloriously overblown nonsense I'm coming to love these days. Great fun. Kind of is to the spy-genre what Kick-Ass is to the superhero bubble.

That film is worth it just for the church fight scene. So fun to watch!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm

samsara_wfc wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:Watched a couple of radically different Brit-flicks in the last week:

That film is worth it just for the church fight scene. So fun to watch!!

It was a mistake to try and watch it on a plane. it was laugh out loud hilarious.

Oxfords, not brogues.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:07 pm

EvenFlow wrote:I had high hopes (no pun intended) for High Rise, given the stellar cast, and that it came from the director of the brilliant Sightseers. Unfortunately, it was a complete clusterfudge. I genuinely couldn't tell you whether several sociological commentaries were being made in the microcosm it was set in, and that they were so subtle I completely missed them, or there was just the one single over-arching theme that it bashes you repeatedly over the head with: I know I couldn't wait for it to end.

Couldn't agree more. I bought the dvd on the back of a rave review (Mark Kermode I think), the cast and with an outline of what sounded like a more than intriguing plot.

5 minutes in, I thought it was going to be a stinker but persevered and kept with it but the film just got worse. Saw it through to the end. Terrible film. The concept (from Ballard's book) should give a film director great material but it didn't work for me.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Couldn't agree more. I bought the dvd on the back of a rave review (Mark Kermode I think), the cast and with an outline of what sounded like a more than intriguing plot.

5 minutes in, I thought it was going to be a stinker but persevered and kept with it but the film just got worse. Saw it through to the end. Terrible film. The concept (from Ballard's book) should give a film director great material but it didn't work for me.

So glad it's not just me. Thought I might be being a bit of a philistine.

Been on a real movie binge recently, as the wife hasn't been well-

Watched an interesting animated feature called Anomolisa the other night. It's on Netflix. Very unique, and a bit weird, but one of those films that has you still thinking about it days later. Certainly one for the amateur philosophers, as it's quite morbidly existential.

Put Horrible Bosses on last night, and that was complete garbage. Felt like a second-rate tribute to The (highly-overrated) Hangover. Not sure why you'd cast Kevin Spacey as a tyrannical executive when he already played that role to utter perfection in Swimming With Sharks (watch that instead!), so was always likely to disappoint in reprising it.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:56 pm

If you're a Kevin Spacey fan, "Margin Call" is well worth a watch.

Previous
Return to General Chat & Prediction League