Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

The movie thread

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

The movie thread

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:57 am

Please list movies good and bad you've recently viewed or planning to view:

Lion - excellent
Trainspotting 2 - good
Passengers - good

John Wick 2
Rogue One
Fences

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: The movie thread

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:55 am

True Lies - A stimulating and refreshing sci-fi journey into the dark recesses of one man's tortured soul
Liar! Liar! - Overrated and repetitive jaunt which is at once as predictable as it is banal
The invention of lying - Mildly amusing comedy in which one man battles memory loss and social dysfunction

Plan to have no choice watching ...

The creature from the black lagoon - Thrilling tale of giant lizard seeking meaning and attention in modern society, will the brave hero triumph or will the creature completely ruin the ambiance by taking a massive metaphorical dump in the collective flowerbed of hope?
Obsession - A tortured soul battles frustration and disappointment as they come to terms with their own confused sexuality by repeatedly referring to 'boy-ladies' on the off topic section of a League One football club message board
Play misty for me - An obsessed listener embarks on an increasingly desperate and doomed fantasy relationship with someone completely normal in a vain hope of garnering attention and kudos from a larger peer group, before they are sectioned by society and end up drinking their own urine in a mental ward at Dorothy Patterson's home for the criminally insane.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:06 am

Your're getting lost in your bully again Miss Saigon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:09 pm

I broke my self-imposed cinema exile a couple weeks ago for Trainspotting 2, as I was a teenager of the 90s, so grew up with it in essence- it's a worthy sequel, although naturally not as good as the original. Some classic Begbie, and a good human story arc for Spud. I can't imagine the under-30 brigade will quite appreciate it, however, as they won't have gone through the same life progression and cultural change journey of the characters. The line from Sick Boy to Renton- something like "You're a tourist in your own youth" encapsulates how the film worked for me quite well.

I tend to stick with Netflix (and the odd nugget on Film4) for my movie intake these days. Birdman- or, the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance, was recently added, and is definitely worth watching if you haven't already.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:01 pm

EvenFlow wrote:I broke my self-imposed cinema exile a couple weeks ago for Trainspotting 2, as I was a teenager of the 90s, so grew up with it in essence- it's a worthy sequel, although naturally not as good as the original. Some classic Begbie, and a good human story arc for Spud. I can't imagine the under-30 brigade will quite appreciate it, however, as they won't have gone through the same life progression and cultural change journey of the characters. The line from Sick Boy to Renton- something like "You're a tourist in your own youth" encapsulates how the film worked for me quite well.

I tend to stick with Netflix (and the odd nugget on Film4) for my movie intake these days. Birdman- or, the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance, was recently added, and is definitely worth watching if you haven't already.

Trainspotting definitely takes me back to clubbing days and Ibiza holidays. I actually thought T2 was better then the original as there was more of a solid story to the movie IMO. Begie is a horrible character, bloody funny at the end. Apparently there's a T3 in the pipeline.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:31 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:True Lies - A stimulating and refreshing sci-fi journey into the dark recesses of one man's tortured soul
Liar! Liar! - Overrated and repetitive jaunt which is at once as predictable as it is banal
The invention of lying - Mildly amusing comedy in which one man battles memory loss and social dysfunction

Plan to have no choice watching ...

The creature from the black lagoon - Thrilling tale of giant lizard seeking meaning and attention in modern society, will the brave hero triumph or will the creature completely ruin the ambiance by taking a massive metaphorical dump in the collective flowerbed of hope?
Obsession - A tortured soul battles frustration and disappointment as they come to terms with their own confused sexuality by repeatedly referring to 'boy-ladies' on the off topic section of a League One football club message board
Play misty for me - An obsessed listener embarks on an increasingly desperate and doomed fantasy relationship with someone completely normal in a vain hope of garnering attention and kudos from a larger peer group, before they are sectioned by society and end up drinking their own urine in a mental ward at Dorothy Patterson's home for the criminally insane.

:lol: Brilliant, you forgot 'Once upon a time in Google land' a tale of one mans mission to reinvent history by making up and posting drug fuelled fantasies on google. Not forgetting 'Were there planes?' an amazing tale of flying atom bombs piloted by CIA lizards and aliens demolishing the Twin Towers.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 pm

I see the fairy god father has turned up to help his crush out! :lol:

As you publicly accused me of stalking you in a white van and sending nasty email enquiries to your business email address you may find commonality with the below movies.

Paranoia - the sad tale of an old man who loses his faculties and thinks people are out to get him.

Cookoo Man - the story of a troubled old man who's been recently committed to the mad house.

Enjoy! :D

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:13 pm

....................oh and how could I forget, 'The not so secret life of Walter Mitty' An ordinary, often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs and compulsive lying.

Got to be worth a few of these..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:47 pm

Cookoo :idea:

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:00 am

Walter wrote:Cookoo :idea:

Actually it's .................cuckoo

PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING

Children...........don't take drugs, it cooks your brain cell.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:23 am

Cully wrote:....................oh and how could I forget, 'The not so secret life of Walter Mitty' An ordinary, often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs and compulsive lying.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... quite a few of those.

:D

Sound_out
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:24 am

So cully where did this delusion of me stalking you in a white van come from? If I recall correctly you said I was slowly driving passed your places of work! :lol:

I have some questions:

Did anyone else see this van or just you when on your own?
Did you take a photo?
Did you see a number plate?
Did you report it to the police?

Moving slightly back on topic, it reminds me of a film called Jacobs Ladder where faceless people keep driving past in a car freaking this guy out. He's out of his mind on acid which is fuelling his paranoia! It's a depressing tale and one which you should avoid as it may trigger more delusions. :(

Sound_out
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:28 am

Watched a good film last night called Hidden Figures. It's the story of 3 black women working for NASA in the space race. Doesn't sound much but it's a fine movie and well worth a watch! :D

Sound_out
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:46 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:....................oh and how could I forget, 'The not so secret life of Walter Mitty' An ordinary, often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs and compulsive lying.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... quite a few of those.

:D

#moonlandings
#howembarrassing
#memoryman :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:28 am

Definitely not Soundy before his white van / stalking / lizard obsession days ...

Sound_out
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:41 am

That's crap SS. :roll: :lol:

Id leave you defence to cully or Exy as you're incapable of doing it to any degree of proficiency. :mrgreen:

#losingheavily

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:49 am

Sound_out wrote:That's crap SS. :roll: :lol:

Id leave you defence to cully or Exy as you're incapable of doing it to any degree of proficiency. :mrgreen:

#losingheavily

Dear losingheavily,

Thanks for your advice. I'll certainly give it serious consideration and contemplation. :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:14 pm

PRISONERS was a good watch, a couple of years old now but very thought provoking
PASSENGERS as has been said already
ARRIVAL but don't expect to understand it straight away i had to google it in the end to understand lol
HELL OR HIGH WATER fantastic moralistic film
BONE TOMAHAWK starts off slow but not for the feint heart
HACKSAW RIDGE brill film if you like a bit of sentiment

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Saw "Gone Girl" at the weekend. Jeez, what a psycho bitch Rosamund Pike plays.

Apparently the book is highly recommended.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:56 am

Super Gabor wrote:Saw "Gone Girl" at the weekend. Jeez, what a psycho bitch Rosamund Pike plays.

I tried reading the book and just couldn't get into it. Got about 2/3 the way through after leaving and coming back to it before giving up. I hear the film isn't much cop either.

There's a new Marvell series out called Legion which is very good. I'm not particularly into comic book stuff but this is worth a watch. The new Wolverine film has got good reviews too.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Sound_out wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Saw "Gone Girl" at the weekend. Jeez, what a psycho bitch Rosamund Pike plays.

I tried reading the book and just couldn't get into it. Got about 2/3 the way through after leaving and coming back to it before giving up. I hear the film isn't much cop either.

There's a new Marvell series out called Legion which is very good. I'm not particularly into comic book stuff but this is worth a watch. The new Wolverine film has got good reviews too.
We watched about 30 mins of gone girl and turned it off :| As films go you can't beat a shane meadows film. dead mans shoes was a fantastic watch, so was this is england and once upon a time in the midlands :wink:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:05 pm

For any Netflix subscribers on UTS- what has your "To Watch" list got on it? Mine is getting dangerously out of control!

Watched a Netflix original called "I Don't Feel At Home In This World Any More" the other night. It was okay, if trying a bit too hard to be quirky, in the manner of Hunt for the Wilderpeople, or the main characters in Fargo, and it didn't quite feel organic as a result.

Having sat on my list forever, I finally got round to watching In The Heat Of The Night yesterday- still quite poignant.

Priorities on the list at present are The Big Short, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Boyhood, The Fundamentals of Caring, Sicario, Force Majure, and the Crouching Tiger... sequel.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:10 pm

Watched 50 Shades Darker last week.

Thankfully didn't pay for it. Absolute dogshite. Worst film of the year without question. I'd rather shove a fork down my japseye than watch that dross again.

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:07 pm

scott_powell wrote:Watched 50 Shades Darker last week.

Thankfully didn't pay for it. Absolute dogshite. Worst film of the year without question. I'd rather shove a fork down my japseye than watch that dross again.

I saw a review of the shades film a few weeks ago that said something along the lines of if you like a film to have a storyline or a plot or something to exercise your brain cells you would be better off watching The Lego Batman movie than 50 shades darker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:32 pm

saddla wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Watched 50 Shades Darker last week.

I saw a review of the shades film a few weeks ago that said something along the lines of if you like a film to have a storyline or a plot or something to exercise your brain cells you would be better off watching The Lego Batman movie than 50 shades darker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only positive is seeing Dakota Johnson in little to no clothing for a quarter of the movie. Everything else is utterly dreadful.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:06 pm

EvenFlow wrote:For any Netflix subscribers on UTS- what has your "To Watch" list got on it? Mine is getting dangerously out of control!

Watched a Netflix original called "I Don't Feel At Home In This World Any More" the other night. It was okay, if trying a bit too hard to be quirky, in the manner of Hunt for the Wilderpeople, or the main characters in Fargo, and it didn't quite feel organic as a result.

Having sat on my list forever, I finally got round to watching In The Heat Of The Night yesterday- still quite poignant.

Priorities on the list at present are The Big Short, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Boyhood, The Fundamentals of Caring, Sicario, Force Majure, and the Crouching Tiger... sequel.
If you are into box sets then orange is the new black is pretty good :wink:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:12 pm

chunkster wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:For any Netflix subscribers on UTS- what has your "To Watch" list got on it? Mine is getting dangerously out of control!

Orange is the new black is a good watch. Funny with lesbians, what more could you want! :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:59 pm

scott_powell wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Orange is the new black is a good watch. Funny with lesbians, what more could you want! :lol:
:lol: maybe better looking lesbians :lol:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:21 am

Sunk a couple of Cumberland ales and watched the Netflix original "The Fundamentals of Caring" last night.

While it won't be held up as a cultural zeitgeist or anything, it's a bit of a hidden gem- a pretty original take on the buddy movie/roadtrip concept. There's an offbeat chemistry between Paul Rudd & Craig Roberts, aided by some snappy dialogue, which is always a plus in my book.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Taboo hasn't been bad, got a couple of episodes to catch up on but so far well worth a watch.

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League