Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hacksore Minge

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Hacksore Minge

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:25 am

I was looking forward to this after really loving Gibson's Apocalypto, an excellent film engendering a quality mix of brutal reality, good acting and just the right amount of superstitious mystery and suspense.

Hacksaw Ridge has the kernel of a good story, but is presented in such a suspension of vomit-inducing mawkish sentimentality, over egged and over hammed predictable set pieces and choking cheese that I found this intruded on the execution of the plot. It played out like it was written by a committee of 12 year olds.

I thought the actors struggled a bit with some of the scenes and the casting was poorly conceived, the pudgy sergeant in particular almost totally unbelievable.

A straight C, should do better

Cully
Site Addict

Re: Hacksore Minge

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 am

I've seen the trailers but haven't been tempted because a great deal of films that I assume are meant to appeal to an American viewer contain the very elements that you have highlighted, over egging either the action [why use one alien spaceship when you can have 5,000] or the scene with clichéd characters and corny dialogue.

Thanks for the update................I'll give it a miss.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:26 am

I've seen Hacksaw Ridge and thought it was well worth a watch. It's a Hollywood blockbuster so you're not going to get a 100% factual representation. I think most people accept this though.

IMDB rate it at 8.3. Usually anything above 8 is a good watch. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119532/

Rotten Tomatoes give it 83%. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hacksaw_ridge/

So we can see the critics like it.

HD copy available on Kodi.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:38 am

I thought it was great

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:52 am

Didn't mention the acres of gooey bible references and cardboard cut-out Japanese minions. Think Where Eagles dare but with an Asian uniform.

Each to their own, elements of the film are interesting, just make sure you take a sick bag. :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Absolutely loved it

Return to General Chat & Prediction League