Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Favrit Lager

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Favrit Lager

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:06 pm

One has not been much of a lager drinker for many years preferring draught beers and ales BUT while up in the Lake District a few months ago, I came across Leffe Blond (6.7%) and I’ve not stopped drinking it since. It’s been on special 2 for 1 offer in Tesco priced at £2.50 per 750ml bottle. I think it’s the first time I’ve fallen in love with a lager. You only need drink a few too and no hangover due premium quality.

Anyone got any similar favrits?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Re: Favrit Lager

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Totally with you... Leffe all the way.

WSTFC
UTS Regular

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 am

Leffe is great stuff

Sound_out
Site Addict

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:16 pm

This is quite an informative series on brewing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01wf80k/p01wf6tn

I'm fairly certain I listened to some of this a few months ago and it discussed the name 'lager' coming from the term 'to larder' whereby it is left over a period of weeks/months to age. One expert was saying that he went to a Stella brewery and when he asked how long they lagered their lager for they didn't have a clue what he was on about. Most lagers are machine made to a recipe and not left to age before being sold. Basically, cheap crap which is full of chemicals. Non shall pass my lips again. :lol:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Buying Lager is the equivalent of paying to drink piss. Hate the stuff.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:52 pm

There is now a huge selection of alternatives to the bog standard lagers. There are plenty of pale ales, ambers, reds, IPA's and saison's to get stuck into.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Sound_out wrote:One has not been much of a lager drinker for many years preferring draught beers and ales BUT while up in the Lake District a few months ago, I came across Leffe Blond (6.7%) and I’ve not stopped drinking it since. It’s been on special 2 for 1 offer in Tesco priced at £2.50 per 750ml bottle. I think it’s the first time I’ve fallen in love with a lager. You only need drink a few too and no hangover due premium quality.

Anyone got any similar favrits?
Ye my all time favorite as well :D , discovered it while in amsterdam about 10 years ago, even though it is belgian i think?
they also do a dark one but not as nice :)

UTS Legend

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:11 am

There are so many excellent Belgian beers, but you would have to go to Belgium to sample more than a few of them.

In HK I can get Leffe, Duvel and Chimay. A nearby restaurant has Leffe Blonde on draught. Lovely! (£7.70 a pint, 2 for 1 in happy hour. Cheap for round here.)

WillenhallManiac

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Bring back Highgate Mild

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Guest wrote:There are so many excellent Belgian beers, but you would have to go to Belgium to sample more than a few of them.

In HK I can get Leffe, Duvel and Chimay. A nearby restaurant has Leffe Blonde on draught. Lovely! (£7.70 a pint, 2 for 1 in happy hour. Cheap for round here.)
Bloody hell i would be dead within a couple of years :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Guest wrote:There are so many excellent Belgian beers, but you would have to go to Belgium to sample more than a few of them.

Bloody hell i would be dead within a couple of years :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Agreed. I did that last year and was gobsmacked by how many beers Belgium produces. Some of the tastiest I've ever enjoyed. My personal recommendation would be Grimbergen. Absolute heaven.

We've got a new Belgian bar and it serves 54 beers. I tried one which was over 10%. The quality of the taste matched it's strength. Need a few nights in there to work my way through them!

As for Leffe - I first sampled 15 years ago. Tasty choice and certainly made inroads into UK market but there are so many more from Belgium to try.

Gotta love the fact each has its own styled glass.

La Choulette Ambree from France is another well worth a try.

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:42 pm

If you want to sample Belgian beer without having to cross the Channel, you could do worse than visiting one of my favourite pubs in Lichfield:

http://www.beerbohm.co.uk/drink/world-beers/

Make sure that you bring a fully loaded wallet with you!

If you, like me, also prefer beer without chemicals, drink German brewed beers. All German brewers must conform to the Reinheitsgebot, which stipulates the ingredients that can be used.

Quality over quantity every time!!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:57 am

dobbster71 wrote:If you want to sample Belgian beer without having to cross the Channel, you could do worse than visiting one of my favourite pubs in Lichfield:

http://www.beerbohm.co.uk/drink/world-beers/

Make sure that you bring a fully loaded wallet with you!

If you, like me, also prefer beer without chemicals, drink German brewed beers. All German brewers must conform to the Reinheitsgebot, which stipulates the ingredients that can be used.

Quality over quantity every time!!

Went there over Xmas with my bro, had a great time working our way through saisons, tripels etc. Was wobbly when we left though.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:02 pm

For anyone fancying a dabble anyway I would recommend some of the beers from the following breweries in the UK, some established and some are just gathering momentum.

Magic Rock
Thornbridge
Buxton
Verdant
Salopian
Siren Craft
Hawkshead
North Union
Cloudwater.

All turn out well made beers in a wide range of styles.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:51 am

derbysaddler wrote:For anyone fancying a dabble anyway I would recommend some of the beers from the following breweries in the UK, some established and some are just gathering momentum.

Magic Rock
Thornbridge
Buxton
Verdant
Salopian
Siren Craft
Hawkshead
North Union
Cloudwater.

All turn out well made beers in a wide range of styles.

I've only sampled Hawkshead as it's a favrit tipple when I frequently visit the Lake District. However, I will make an effort to work through your list of recommendations. :D

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Salopian brews very nice beer & especially those that they send to the Lichfield Beer Festivals.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:19 pm

The wychbold brewery make some cracking beers as well, i remember the dogs bollocks was one of my favorites, but they had to withdraw it for a while because the cartoon like scooby do label was seen to be attractive to kids :|

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:08 pm

I think it's the Walsall beer festival this weekend or possibly next. Anyone going?

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:43 pm

WillenhallManiac wrote:Bring back Highgate Mild

They have! I had a pint of it last month in The Windmill on Gentleshaw Common.

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Walsall Beer Fest is next weekend. I'd go to this but, unfortunately, I have a prior engagement in W*!$erhampton......

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Horozontal Harry wrote:

I love it there, it's the only place you can still get a pint of carling premier :D it turned lager on it's head, and the guest ales are fantastic. i used to work the door with denis at the nags head about 30 years ago happy days :wink:

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:53 pm

chunkster wrote:
Horozontal Harry wrote:

I love it there, it's the only place you can still get a pint of carling premier :D it turned lager on it's head, and the guest ales are fantastic. i used to work the door with denis at the nags head about 30 years ago happy days :wink:

There is a little cluster of pubs in that area where you could always get decent beer - The Nags, The Nelson, The Malt Shovel, The Windmill and the one in Springle Styche Lane who's name escapes me. The Rag at Rawnsley always has a good selection now, including some which is brewed on the premises.

When I first started drinking in the late 70's there was hardly any choice. It was usually Allied Brewery pubs - (Ansells bitter or Double Diamond), M & B pubs (Brew XI or Springfield) or Wolverhampton and Dudley (Banks's and Hansons). Some pubs might sell a nationally known bitter like Pedigree, Wadworth 6X or Directors but generally choice was very limited. You young 'uns don't know you're born!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Horozontal Harry wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Horozontal Harry wrote:

There is a little cluster of pubs in that area where you could always get decent beer - The Nags, The Nelson, The Malt Shovel, The Windmill and the one in Springle Styche Lane who's name escapes me. The Rag at Rawnsley always has a good selection now, including some which is brewed on the premises.

When I first started drinking in the late 70's there was hardly any choice. It was usually Allied Brewery pubs - (Ansells bitter or Double Diamond), M & B pubs (Brew XI or Springfield) or Wolverhampton and Dudley (Banks's and Hansons). Some pubs might sell a nationally known bitter like Pedigree, Wadworth 6X or Directors but generally choice was very limited. You young 'uns don't know you're born!
is it the drill? have you ever tried the swan with 2 necks on the way to rugely from lichfield ? they have a beer there called stairway to heaven and it is lovely and if you want to impress the wife they do a nice meal as well :wink:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 pm

The Walsall Beer Festival has been cancelled this weekend. Apparently, the council has blocked it!

UTS Legend

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:25 pm

chunkster wrote:
Horozontal Harry wrote:

I had more than a few pints of Carling Premier when in the UK a year or so ago. Unsurprisingly, I can't remember where!

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:46 am

Guest wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Horozontal Harry wrote:

I had more than a few pints of Carling Premier when in the UK a year or so ago. Unsurprisingly, I can't remember where!

Disgusting Lager if you can call it that.
The only "Commercial" lager I will drink is Stella.
Prefer the home grown ale brewed in Norfolf nowadays.

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:50 am

swampysaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Horozontal Harry wrote:

Disgusting Lager if you can call it that.
The only "Commercial" lager I will drink is Stella.
Prefer the home grown ale brewed in Norfolf nowadays.

The Stella Artois brewed in Samlesbury, Preston in the Uk (4.8%) is totally different to the Stella Artois brewed in Leuven Belgium (5.2%) Now owned by the infamous Anheuser Busch InBev group and made by their swill factories worldwide.
They won't let visitors in to their Preston factory (I won't call it a brewery). They also produce Becks and Budweiser at the same factory.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 am

Stella is a vile chemical swill.

UTS Legend

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:26 pm

I see there are plenty of Belgian beers available at Amazon.co.uk - delivery to HK is a bit steep, though.

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League