Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sutton Triumphs in FA Cup

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sutton Triumphs in FA Cup

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Three cheers for my local club :D . Turned over the not so mighty Leeds :D :D :D

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Re: Sutton Triumphs in FA Cup

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Hip hip.....Hooray!

Some great upsets in this round but Lincoln's wind and Wycombe's almost-win stand out.

Hopefully Sutton and Lincoln will get a plum fifth round draw.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Super Gabor wrote:

Hopefully Sutton and Lincoln will get a plum fifth round draw.

Probably against each other :roll: :roll: Fix? :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:08 am

Surrey Saddler wrote:Three cheers for my local club :D . Turned over the not so mighty Leeds :D :D :D

Bostin result! :D

Dirty Leeds.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:10 am

Noice. Always good to see cheats strung up.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:53 am

It's a nice day and a storied memory for the smaller clubs but judging by all the changes Leeds and other clubs have made I'm not sure they're really too bothered. It's all about getting to/staying in the Premiership and to me it looks like little else matters.

I watched Millwall v Watford and as the lions were celebrating a late winner the commentator couldn't wheel out his line quick enough; "You can't tell these fans the FA Cup doesn't mean anything". The stadium looked about less than 1/4 full and it was embarrassing to hear the chap desperately try to talk up the competition his company had paid money to screen.

It seems like the apathy trickles down from the managers of the big clubs to the fans. I wonder if we'll ever get to the day when the cups being tinkered Football League Trophy-style to try and keep it afloat.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:52 pm

9,772 at the New Den, which is about half full and a touch over last season's average home attendance of 9,108.

The stat that staggered me was from the BBC's pick of the round to televise, Manchester United (yawn). Apparently is the 56th consecutive Man Utd FA Cup tie shown on live TV, a run that stretches back to 2005. 13 seasons.... Don't the BBC has a remit to make TV for all? Not just those supporting one team in Manchester. I'd rather have watched absolutely any match in this round of the FA Cup than that one....

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Fair enough, the Den did look a lot emptier (check out the highlights) but I think my point stands that the fanbase weren't quite sick with 'cup fever' as the pundits would have you believe. They've sold that place out many times (I've been there for a fair few).

I've heard that Man U stat before, but I also read today that BBC wanted to show Lincoln v Brighton from the last round but the FA blocked them and insisted they show Man U stroll past Wigan. Apparently from Mr Lineker himself...

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Really? Ffs! Football for all?!

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Don't forget that the BBC Sport HQ relocated to Salford a few years ago. That's bound to have an impact on which games are shown live (easy for BBC employees to get home after the match).

My solution to restoring the FA Cup back to health is to make all Football League & Premier League teams play at least 8 first team regulars (players that have played in at least 6 of the previous 10 league games). Any player stated as being "Injured" or "Sick" would not be eligible to play in the league match following the FA Cup tie. Got to be worth a try. As it stands the "League of Greed" is ruining the FA Cup.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:29 pm

dobbster71 wrote:Don't forget that the BBC Sport HQ relocated to Salford a few years ago. That's bound to have an impact on which games are shown live (easy for BBC employees to get home after the match).

My solution to restoring the FA Cup back to health is to make all Football League & Premier League teams play at least 8 first team regulars (players that have played in at least 6 of the previous 10 league games). Any player stated as being "Injured" or "Sick" would not be eligible to play in the league match following the FA Cup tie. Got to be worth a try. As it stands the "League of Greed" is ruining the FA Cup.

Agreed wholeheartedly, all these Premiershite teams playing their reserves is an utter insult to the paying public, and an abominable insult to their chosen opposition. So glad to see so many 'big' clubs getting knocked out as a result of playing their 'youngsters'...........balderdash, just deriding the competition. A similar FA instruction to the above suggestion is a must for next season, otherwise we should just forget the F.A. Cup altogether...lets see if the F.A have the balls to stand up to the big boys!

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Therein lies the rub, AM. Does the FA have the cojones to stand up for THEIR competition or are they happy to keep churning out the marketing drivel & let the big teams get away with playing their reserves??

I'd be astounded if the FA did anything at all........

PT
Site Addict

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Supporters love the cup. I certainly do.

Restoring it to its former glory shouldn't be too difficult:-

- 10% of the television pot for the EPL should go into the FA Cup prize fund on top of the money already there. This would create a prize fund of around £200m a year thus making it very worthwhile financially for all teams.
- Low crowds in the early rounds are a symptom of walk up prices increasing massively over the last 20 years or so. More of a ST culture has lead to people having a week off and saving the cash when the cup comes around. Clubs should be given the freedom to charge what they want following consultation between the two competing teams.
- Champions League slot.
-Semis back on neutral grounds
-Final as last game of domestic season kicking off at 3 on a Saturday

Easy!

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:27 pm

PT wrote:Supporters love the cup. I certainly do.

Restoring it to its former glory shouldn't be too difficult:-

- 10% of the television pot for the EPL should go into the FA Cup prize fund on top of the money already there. This would create a prize fund of around £200m a year thus making it very worthwhile financially for all teams.
- Low crowds in the early rounds are a symptom of walk up prices increasing massively over the last 20 years or so. More of a ST culture has lead to people having a week off and saving the cash when the cup comes around. Clubs should be given the freedom to charge what they want following consultation between the two competing teams.
- Champions League slot.
-Semis back on neutral grounds
-Final as last game of domestic season kicking off at 3 on a Saturday

Easy!

When do the finalists play their last league game of the season? :D

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:25 am

dobbster71 wrote:Don't forget that the BBC Sport HQ relocated to Salford a few years ago. That's bound to have an impact on which games are shown live (easy for BBC employees to get home after the match).

I think you're right about this. When Salford City qualified the level of coverage they got was obscene. Mind you they got double bubble with the Man Utd gang involved there.

yoda
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:49 am

dobbster71 wrote: My solution to restoring the FA Cup back to health is to make all Football League & Premier League teams play at least 8 first team regulars (players that have played in at least 6 of the previous 10 league games). Any player stated as being "Injured" or "Sick" would not be eligible to play in the league match following the FA Cup tie. Got to be worth a try. As it stands the "League of Greed" is ruining the FA Cup.

I don't know, that rule isn't too popular in the Football League Trophy. Fans and clubs hate it and theres more often than not fines being issued after a round of games. Just seems to breed resentment.

I see the point but I don't think 'the stick' is the approach to get people loving cups again.

Return to General Chat & Prediction League