Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Albums of 2017

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
kshammer
Site Addict

Re: Albums of 2017

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Pick a handful of bands Scott and make sure you listen to only that for the entirety of your life. :lol:

I'll be like you, pretending to like WSS in May, trying to look "cool".

Then I'll grow up and stop being open minded to new things. :roll:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 am

kshammer wrote:Pick a handful of bands Scott and make sure you listen to only that for the entirety of your life. :lol:

I'll be like you, pretending to like WSS in May, trying to look "cool".

Then I'll grow up and stop being open minded to new things. :roll:

:lol: Saddla must be trolling

Back onto new albums. Creeper's "Eternity, in your arms" came out yesterday. Gave it a spin in the car and it's unbelievably good, especially the slower tracks Misery, Crickets and I Choose To Live.

I suppose I can't like it because they're new?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:32 am

Heard a Creeper song last night on Scuzz. Not sure they're my cup of tea but you can see they're excellent at what they do. Can see them getting really big in the next couple of years.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 am

Just come back from seeing Adele. Pretty sure she's not releasing an album this year, but what a voice!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:06 am

kshammer wrote:Heard a Creeper song last night on Scuzz. Not sure they're my cup of tea but you can see they're excellent at what they do. Can see them getting really big in the next couple of years.

I wasn't taken with them until I heard the song 'Misery' on their last EP. Their slower numbers are where they're better than most. I think it's an album you have to take in from start to finish.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:21 pm

On the subject of perceptually "cool" music vs music you like, I actually find your palette diversifies and grows with age- all through my teens and twenties, jazz was a completely lost concept on me. Now in my mid-thirties, I'm starting to appreciate Charles Mingus and John Coltrane, and am on the road to enjoying them. It's a journey to get there, depending on your background: to switch genre gears, you can't go straight from the Top 40 to Wolves In The Throne Room- you have to take the Green Day > Slipknot > Slayer (or similar) route.

Similarly with electronica- as a grunge and indie (read: Britpop) era kid, I blew a raspberry at it, and declared it inauthentic. Nowadays, it appreciate its value as a tool to add texture/flesh a track out, even though I find it a bit soulless where it's the primary source of rhythm, and cheesy where it dominates melody. A lot of the modern stuff that the scholars and critics give their "cool" stamp to doesn't resonate with me (Jamie XX's solo debut, Autechre, Animal Collective). To bring this musing back on-topic, I've been playing "World Eater" by Blanck Mass the last day or so- it's considered an early front runner for Album of the Year in a few places, but it hasn't done anything instantly for me, although the structure makes it quite accessible, so I'll give it another go or two.

I wasn't expecting much from the new Jesus & Mary Chain album, but- while it wouldn't sound out of place in 1993- it's got a comforting familiarity to it, like David Bathurst reading the half-times over the tannoy. "War on Peace" and "Always Sad" are early favourites- it was looking like an early, surprising front runner in my AotY stakes, but it loses a little momentum around the halfway point. Still, a very pleasant surprise.

My actual front runner at present is Mount Eerie's "A Crow Looked At Me," but this also comes with a caveat- it won't be anything like a regular go-to album, in the same way you'll reach for the DVD of Groundhog Day over Schindler's List nine times out of ten, despite the latter being technically the far superior film. The post-trauma album has taken up the mantle of the break-up album and cranked it up a notch, but bloody nora.... this one makes "Carrie & Lowell" and "Skeleton Tree" sound like AC/DC. It's absolutely harrowing.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:16 pm

EvenFlow wrote:On the subject of perceptually "cool" music vs music you like, I actually find your palette diversifies and grows with age- all through my teens and twenties, jazz was a completely lost concept on me. Now in my mid-thirties, I'm starting to appreciate Charles Mingus and John Coltrane, and am on the road to enjoying them. It's a journey to get there, depending on your background: to switch genre gears, you can't go straight from the Top 40 to Wolves In The Throne Room- you have to take the Green Day > Slipknot > Slayer (or similar) route.

Similarly with electronica- as a grunge and indie (read: Britpop) era kid, I blew a raspberry at it, and declared it inauthentic. Nowadays, it appreciate its value as a tool to add texture/flesh a track out, even though I find it a bit soulless where it's the primary source of rhythm, and cheesy where it dominates melody. A lot of the modern stuff that the scholars and critics give their "cool" stamp to doesn't resonate with me (Jamie XX's solo debut, Autechre, Animal Collective). To bring this musing back on-topic, I've been playing "World Eater" by Blanck Mass the last day or so- it's considered an early front runner for Album of the Year in a few places, but it hasn't done anything instantly for me, although the structure makes it quite accessible, so I'll give it another go or two.

I wasn't expecting much from the new Jesus & Mary Chain album, but- while it wouldn't sound out of place in 1993- it's got a comforting familiarity to it, like David Bathurst reading the half-times over the tannoy. "War on Peace" and "Always Sad" are early favourites- it was looking like an early, surprising front runner in my AotY stakes, but it loses a little momentum around the halfway point. Still, a very pleasant surprise.

My actual front runner at present is Mount Eerie's "A Crow Looked At Me," but this also comes with a caveat- it won't be anything like a regular go-to album, in the same way you'll reach for the DVD of Groundhog Day over Schindler's List nine times out of ten, despite the latter being technically the far superior film. The post-trauma album has taken up the mantle of the break-up album and cranked it up a notch, but bloody nora.... this one makes "Carrie & Lowell" and "Skeleton Tree" sound like AC/DC. It's absolutely harrowing.

Agree with that. I have never listened to a band to feel "cool" or accepted. My tastes just expanded because I let them. I went out my way to explore and found I really enjoyed heavier music. I still love what I'd consider "non heavy" music too.

Right now this is my favorite song. Not heavy. Not exactly cool. Not a huge band. Just really good music. Will Gould's voice is so unique. A great front man.

Creeper are fantastic songwriters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1kHEHfcTj0

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:58 pm

Exile wrote:Just come back from seeing Adele. Pretty sure she's not releasing an album this year, but what a voice!

I'm not a fan of "pop stars" but I agree totally.
Her phrasing on live versions of Someone Like You is chillingly brilliant.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:54 pm

General musings from the last couple of weeks:

New Mastodon album is solid. Deep, groovy, instrumental interludes all over the place. Not exactly a departure from their back catalogue, but instantly more noteworthy than "Once More Round The Sun", which kind of passed me by.

Gave the highly-praised Blanck Mass album another go. I'm still unsure. I like the post-rock track structuring, but the full-on electronica is a bit dense for my blood. After a few spins of the Jesus & Mary Chain's return, two of the tracks with duelling, callback male/female vocals are annoying me. It's slipped in my estimation.

Saw a desert rock, Hendrix-inspired Swiss band called Sons of Morpheus open for Karma To Burn around this time last year, and they were incredible. Their second album dropped last Friday, and it's seriously disappointing. Very nondescript.

I'm loving "Flying Microtonal Banana" by the rather ridiculously monikered King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard at present. There are Haight/Ashbury psychedelic undertones throughout- bit of Doors and Arthur Brown influence in there as well. The bassline hook to opener "Rattlesnake" is seriously infectious. Their website suggests they aim to release six albums in 2017- that's crazy!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:13 am

Months away yet, but Brix and the Extricated have a new one out in September. Preorder available now.

Will Fat White Family do anything this year, or are they more likely to disintegrate?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:20 pm

MovementinSound have plenty of releases scheduled for this year, lot's deep D&B, trip hop and deep house to get stuck into. :D

https://soundcloud.com/movementinsound/tracks

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:29 am

So, While She Sleeps - You Are We came out last Friday. Phenomenal record. The riff per song ratio is crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6tqXQNWUA

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:45 pm

scott_powell wrote:So, While She Sleeps - You Are We came out last Friday. Phenomenal record. The riff per song ratio is crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6tqXQNWUA

This. fudge brilliant.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 am

Shadow Of Intent - Reclaimer

Vocalist Ben Duerr is demonically good. Absolute rager if you like you like your stuff very heavy. Not for everyone but perfect for me!! Play it LOUD

https://youtu.be/hgaUi3f2vrs
Last edited by scott_powell on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 am

New Mark Lanegan Band album surfaced yesterday. I'm on second spin now- it's standard Lanegan fare, which means it's still better than most stuff you'll hear this year. It's not on Blues Funeral level, though.

Father John Misty's new opus has been on semi-regular rotation for a few weeks- musically, it's a bit nondescript. Lyrically, it's outstanding.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Mon May 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Played Mac DeMarco's new album, "This Old Dog", three times back-to-back on the headphones this morning.

The two tracks that trickled out earlier in the year were underwhelming as standalone entities, but in the context of the LP, they go down as smoothly as a good IPA.

Lyrically more sombre/reflective than past releases, but set to Mac's now-trademark laidback, happily-disorientated groove, "This Old Dog" will likely work differently, but equally well, alone and remote, or outdoors as a soundtrack to the Summer. Quite the achievement in juxtaposition.

I was worried about this one on the basis of what I'd heard before release, but having kept the standard up now through three LPs and two mid-length releases, I reckon Mac DeMarco now officially has a "canon" with this release, and can be newly minted as a bona-fide heavyweight.

Easily in my working Top 5 for the year.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun May 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Loving The Mountain Goats' irreverent "Goths" at present- a joyous concept album/paean to a maligned subculture, very much like their last album, "Beat The Champ." The Goats are like a cloak-and-daggers Half Man, Half Biscuit in their cultural lampooning- where else would a song title like "Andrew Eldritch Is Moving Back To Leeds" not be utterly ridiculous?!

The wife doesn't like the Goats, as they "remind (her) of Frank Turner", who she hates- just for a stylistic comparison.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:20 pm

For me right now I'm loving Jamie Lenman - Devolver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EeIBhqeBTY

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:32 pm

EvenFlow wrote:Played Mac DeMarco's new album, "This Old Dog", three times back-to-back on the headphones this morning.

The two tracks that trickled out earlier in the year were underwhelming as standalone entities, but in the context of the LP, they go down as smoothly as a good IPA.

Lyrically more sombre/reflective than past releases, but set to Mac's now-trademark laidback, happily-disorientated groove, "This Old Dog" will likely work differently, but equally well, alone and remote, or outdoors as a soundtrack to the Summer. Quite the achievement in juxtaposition.

I was worried about this one on the basis of what I'd heard before release, but having kept the standard up now through three LPs and two mid-length releases, I reckon Mac DeMarco now officially has a "canon" with this release, and can be newly minted as a bona-fide heavyweight.

Easily in my working Top 5 for the year.

Great artist and actually going to see him in Manc pretty soon. He will go a long way before he beats 2014's Salad Days though (the album that introduced him to me).

With only a month to go my favorite album of 2017 is still The XX - I See You. I can't see anything beating it either. A better mix of electro-indie and house beats than Coexist.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 pm

El_Nombre wrote:Great artist and actually going to see him in Manc pretty soon. He will go a long way before he beats 2014's Salad Days though (the album that introduced him to me).

Yep, I'll second Salad Days as Mac's finest work to date. The wife & I saw him at the Institute two years or so ago. We were very surprised at the youthful crowd (felt like proper old 'uns, although there were a decent smattering of over-30s), and even more so at how mental the audience went throughout the set, considering Mac's generally chilled vibes. Probably because I go to predominantly 30-50 year old fanbase gigs these days, and we've all calmed down together!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:31 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:Great artist and actually going to see him in Manc pretty soon. He will go a long way before he beats 2014's Salad Days though (the album that introduced him to me).

Yep, I'll second Salad Days as Mac's finest work to date. The wife & I saw him at the Institute two years or so ago. We were very surprised at the youthful crowd (felt like proper old 'uns, although there were a decent smattering of over-30s), and even more so at how mental the audience went throughout the set, considering Mac's generally chilled vibes. Probably because I go to predominantly 30-50 year old fanbase gigs these days, and we've all calmed down together!

Interesting! Gig is this Saturday at Manc Academy. It will be the first time I've seen him properly (He was at Glasto 2016 but I don't think that was a fair picture).

Sounds rougher than I expected but to be honest I'm one of those boring sods who leans up the bar and watches comfortably so should still be enjoyable!

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm

To bookend this thread, with all 2017 releases done & dusted, just thought I'd check out what everyone's best album(s) of the year thoughts are. I'd say it's been a mildly underwhelming 12 months on the new music front- there's been a steady stream of solid material, but I haven't personally heard anything that comes anywhere near instant classic status.

My top 5 for 2017, in no particular order, would look like this:

A Crow Looked At Me- Mount Eerie
Goths- The Mountain Goats
Murder of the Universe- King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
The Dusk In Us- Converge
This Old Dog- Mac DeMarco

A lot a credible sources are giving their #1 spot to Kendrick Lamar's latest, as seems to happen with each of his releases. Haven't gotten to the new one yet- I'm doing a deep dive on Lamar in order to "get it" (as I haven't quite got to grips with him, historically).

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:08 am

In no order, my top 5 would be

Creeper - Eternity in your arms
Jamie Lenman - devolver
Code Orange - Forever
Thy Art is Murder - Dear Desolation
While She Sleeps - You Are We

El_Nombre
UTS Legend