Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Albums of 2017

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Albums of 2017

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:50 am

For all the audiophiles and Spotify addicts of UTS, I thought an ongoing musical musings thread for the year might punctuate the mid-table angst.

It's looking like a strong year ahead for new music: the critically-acclaimed (although not really my bag) Run The Jewels have already dropped a new album this month, and Brit giants The xx and Elbow, as well as Japandroids and Cloud Nothings, have releases imminent. New output from Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, Mac DeMarco, and Anathema are due later in the year; and LCD Soundsystem and The Jesus & Mary Chain are back in the studio for the first time since reforming.

So... lets have your discoveries, recommendations and thoughts, ladies and gentlemen....

scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Albums of 2017

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:08 am

Only one album I'm absolutely dying to get this year and that's Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes - Modern Ruin. Ordered my CD and Vinyl last week! :D

Frank Carter, the only bloke keeping punk rock/hardcore alive right now. Phenomenal songwriter and vocalist. INSANE live too.

One of his lighter, more palatable singles for those of you who don't like that "It's just bloody noise" music :D 'Snake Eyes' from the upcoming album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Gl4Rz2v30

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:17 am

Didn't understand a word of any of that............................... :lol: :lol: :oops:
When are the Beatles going to bring out their next LP?

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Good topic EvenFlow and a welcome thread to hopefully breathe a bit of life back into SoT.

Looking forward to Basildon's finest release the 14th studio album, "Spirit", in the spring. As a devotee I sincerely hope it's an improvement on the mixed bag that was the last offering, "Delta Machine."

Plus, a favourite from my youth, The Skids (Into The Valley / Saints are coming / Yankee Dollar etc.) are back, with the first new album since they knocked it on the head 35 years ago, and a tour too. Can't wait for that one. :D It is a shame the great Stuart Adamson is no longer alive but I think this tour is going be the dog's proverbials.

The Jesus and Mary Chain are back? Blimey. That's a band that reminds me of my student days. Well, the very "cool" characters at college seemed to be into them anyway.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Haven't heard any 2017 releases in full yet. Late last year though there was Highly Suspect's sophomore effort, The Boy Who Died Wolf, which is enjoyable, and before that the latest from the Pixies, Head Carrier. Both worth a listen.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Given The xx's new, third album its second spin of the day, and am ready to declare it a strong progression from their mildly disappointing second. Whilst still signature-minimalist in places, on the whole it is much more layered than "Co-Exist" (vocally & instrumentally), with elements of Jamie's solo work incorporated. Glad to report this, as I had concerns that this one would either propel them to the premier league, or file them under "Bolt from the blue, instant classic of a debut album that they were never quite able to follow". Early standout tracks are "Performance" and "Brave For You."

On a related note, off to Digbeth-shire tonight for a bit of Meshuggah. Must be careful not to be mistaken for one of the Disturbed crowd at New Street!

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Been giving the Flaming Lips' new opus, "Oczy Mlody", a spin this morning. Alas, it's a bit flat and directionless. "The Soft Bulletin" and "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" seem like a long time ago, now.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:37 am

For those of you who like the heavier side of music, Code Orange - Forever is absolutely mind blowing! Turn it up loud for the full effect, it literally shakes your insides.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:01 pm

scott_powell wrote:For those of you who like the heavier side of music, Code Orange - Forever is absolutely mind blowing! Turn it up loud for the full effect, it literally shakes your insides.

Playlisted! I'll give it a spin on Thursday at the gym.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:18 am

EvenFlow wrote:
scott_powell wrote:For those of you who like the heavier side of music, Code Orange - Forever is absolutely mind blowing! Turn it up loud for the full effect, it literally shakes your insides.

Playlisted! I'll give it a spin on Thursday at the gym.

Perfect for a gym sesh!! :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 pm

They've just been added on the Gojira bill for Brum. Looking forward to it.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:51 am

kshammer wrote:They've just been added on the Gojira bill for Brum. Looking forward to it.

Yeah I saw that last night. I really need to get into Gojira!

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 am

“Laughing in the rain” by Bayford Fullerton is my pick – although it’s actually a 2016 album being released in mid December 2016

Favourite tracks:
“Laughing in the rain”, “Happiness is darkness”, “The Storm” – links below hopefully

Why do I like it?
Well the album’s really good imho.
Also, I know the guitarist and keep in touch with him.
He’s a Saddler, originally from Pleck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXKgTARgGoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX5mioTtvaE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjJFiFo6kfs

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Given the Code Orange album a blast- generally a solid 8/10, high intensity. I found it dropped off a bit toward the final third, though, and one or two tracks ("Bleeding in the Bur" especially) were a bit too nu-metal tinged for my tastes.

I had thought about going to Gojira in Birmingham, but I don't do many heavy gigs at all these days, and one of my take-away thoughts from Meshuggah the other week was that there were a disproportionate amount of tosspots in the crowd, compared to what I recalled/noticed in years gone by.... so that's kind of put me off.

The inconsistent Pain of Salvation's new album, "In The Passing Light of Day", has been a regular in my car this week. At its highest points, it's comparable to a lot of recent output from genre standard-bearers Anathema, Antimatter & The Pineapple Thief. Musically, their best output since 2007's "Scarsick" although, like a lot of artists who write in their second language, it's a bit lyrically cumbersome in a few places.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:37 am

Seeing Black Peaks sunday ... If you haven't heard their album 'Statues' yet you need to. It's from 2016 but I still listen to it near enough every day. They're like a weird mix of Muse, Deftones, Every Time I Die and The Dillinger Escape Plans but they have their own unique sound. Mindblowing

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Some anticipated stuff is proving disappointing this week- Elbow's new album is something of a non-event. It's top-to-bottom as sedate as the most comatose moments on "The Take Off & Landing of Everything," and the recurring drum samples compound this, as tempo changes are conspicuous by their absence.

Similarly, Mac DeMarco has released two songs from his forthcoming album, and both are pretty unremarkable.

More positively, I think London bluesman Duke Garwood's "Garden of Ashes" is going to be a slow-burner following a first listen, so that will likely be my driving album of choice this coming week.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:17 pm

A band i've been following for a while have just released a new album - Cairobi (The album is also called Cairobi).

The track 'Zoraide' may be vaguely familiar as it's been used on a Halfords ad.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:36 pm

I know I'm old and way past it but who are these people never heard of any of them.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:38 pm

scott_powell wrote:Seeing Black Peaks sunday ... If you haven't heard their album 'Statues' yet you need to. It's from 2016 but I still listen to it near enough every day. They're like a weird mix of Muse, Deftones, Every Time I Die and The Dillinger Escape Plans but they have their own unique sound. Mindblowing

Keep them coming, Scott! This was the soundtrack to my crosstrainer session tonight, & while I wasn't sure about the opening track, it soon won me over. The early vocals reminded me a bit of AFI, and got a hint (structurally) of Coheed & Cambria in the middle.

Mark Lanegan has announced a new album & tour- including Birmingham. Just realised he hasn't released anything completely new since 2014, which is forever in Lanegan's stupidly-prolific terms.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:45 am

EvenFlow wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Seeing Black Peaks sunday ... If you haven't heard their album 'Statues' yet you need to. It's from 2016 but I still listen to it near enough every day. They're like a weird mix of Muse, Deftones, Every Time I Die and The Dillinger Escape Plans but they have their own unique sound. Mindblowing

Keep them coming, Scott! This was the soundtrack to my crosstrainer session tonight, & while I wasn't sure about the opening track, it soon won me over. The early vocals reminded me a bit of AFI, and got a hint (structurally) of Coheed & Cambria in the middle.

Mark Lanegan has announced a new album & tour- including Birmingham. Just realised he hasn't released anything completely new since 2014, which is forever in Lanegan's stupidly-prolific terms.

Keep listening and it will grow on you like it did me. They were phenomenal Sunday night. Played 'Statues' in full, start to finish. Lost my head during 'Saviour' and 'White Eyes' and had to get in the pit. Explains why my back is in bits now! :lol:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Can't even remember the last time I bought an album but will acquire the Chainsmokers and possibly Camila Cabello with both due out at some point in 2017.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Sound_out wrote:Can't even remember the last time I bought an album but will acquire the Chainsmokers and possibly Camila Cabello with both due out at some point in 2017.

Oi, you have your own section. stay outta here!! :wink: :D

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 am

Suicide Silence's self titled :shock:

Very strange album. 3 good tracks on there, the rest, meh. Such a weird step for such an iconic deathcore/metal band.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:23 pm

human by Rag"n"bone man :D

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Dua Lipa album release in July 2017.

She'll be a huge success!

Last edited by Sound_out on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:17 pm

chunkster wrote:human by Rag"n"bone man :D

Any good? I've heard and read a lot of praise, but much of it from flavour-of-the-month/BRIT-award-fodder loving sources, so I'm approaching with caution.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:35 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
chunkster wrote:human by Rag"n"bone man :D

Any good? I've heard and read a lot of praise, but much of it from flavour-of-the-month/BRIT-award-fodder loving sources, so I'm approaching with caution.

Ye i enjoyed it, it's a bit different to what i usually listen to, Queen, madness, elo and anything from the 80's :wink:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 pm

While She Sleeps - 'You Are We' will be a fantastic album. A band who never disappoint with their unique brand of metal punk. 21st April needs to hurry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6tqXQNWUA

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 pm

scott_powell wrote:While She Sleeps - 'You Are We' will be a fantastic album. A band who never disappoint with their unique brand of metal punk. 21st April needs to hurry!

OMG you into that scott? a bit like slipknot :lol:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:00 pm

chunkster wrote:
scott_powell wrote:While She Sleeps - 'You Are We' will be a fantastic album. A band who never disappoint with their unique brand of metal punk. 21st April needs to hurry!

OMG you into that scott? a bit like slipknot :lol:

I'm into some pretty heavy stuff! While She Sleeps are relatively tame and melodic for me! :lol: I do love myself a bit of Slipknot though.

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League