Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Prediction League 1: 2016-17 Intro & Latest Table

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Prediction League 1: 2016-17 Intro & Latest Table

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi everyone! Hope you have had a great summer so far, despite a very forgettable Euros that made you want to ignore that football existed and would ever start again for a while! In the meantime we have had other sporting theatre such as superb tennis frim wimbledon to enjoy, outstanding golf from troon (I was lucky enough to be there for the weekend!) and great scoring with the willow hitting leather!

But, whatever takes our mind off football for 2 months at least, here we are again, a few days before the new season, and whilst we have had a very interesting summer down at the Bonks's's with virtually our whole squad from last season departing, a new one being built and, in the last day or two, a signing to break our transfer record (!!), we have the distraction that is the Prediction League for our league 1 season!

For those who aren't old hands at it by now, it is basically a fun, banter filled prediction competition between posters on here based on predicting the correct result / scoreline of 3 league one fixtures of your choice from each fixture week (can be a Saturday or midweek set of fixtures). After 46 weeks we see who the winner is! Anyone and everyone is free to enter and as the weeks unfold, you'll see it get pretty fractious and tactical on here between people! This thread will be for table updates throughout the season (please sticky it mods!)

The first week's prediction thread is up and running now so go to it to check out the rules and make your three predictions ready for Saturday. Good luck everyone!

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Prediction League 1: 2016-17 Intro & Latest Table

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:55 am

Looking forward to this year! Will Saigon become insufferably smug? Will manc slink off into a hole? Can swampy manage to stay the course? How many p-p games will jolly miss? Can I predict every round for the first time? :D

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:22 pm

As the reigning Champion I thought long and hard whether to defend my title or stand graciously aside and let someone else have a chance of stepping into the limelight. Then I realised that there is only one who can put Saigon in his proper place as runner up. So I'm in it again to win it. The rest are lining up for the minor placings.

Thanks again to JJ for running this. We all appreciate the effort required to do it every week.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:18 pm

saddla wrote:As the reigning Champion I thought long and hard whether to defend my title or stand graciously aside and let someone else have a chance of stepping into the limelight. Then I realised that there is only one who can put Saigon in his proper place as runner up. So I'm in it again to win it. The rest are lining up for the minor placings.

Thanks again to JJ for running this. We all appreciate the effort required to do it every week.
so how DID saigon do last season :mrgreen:

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Just to remind Saigon that he was SECOND last season :lol: :lol: :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:31 pm

saddla wrote:Just to remind Saigon that he was SECOND last season :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: i aim to beat saddler crewe :lol:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:58 pm

Here is the table after Week 1! Firstly, well done to all those who entered for the first week, and also well done for no-one starting with a blob!! The best score was 4 points, achieved by first time predictor, chadsmoor saddler - well done!

But, there is no room in the prediction league for getting complacent - it is a marathon not a sprint (!) - and a lot can happen over 46 weeks! You can easily afford an off week or even to miss a week and claim the title. So, if you haven't entered yet, then feel free to join in! Week two will be set up in the next day or so ready for Saturday.

WSTFC
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Nothing like starting as you mean to go on! :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:05 pm

Positive advice for first timers....NEVER include Walsall in your predictions....they will ALWAYS let you down!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:38 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Positive advice for first timers....NEVER include Walsall in your predictions....they will ALWAYS let you down!!

Not if you have them to lose :lol:

chadsmoor saddler

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:42 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:Here is the table after Week 1! Firstly, well done to all those who entered for the first week, and also well done for no-one starting with a blob!! The best score was 4 points, achieved by first time predictor, chadsmoor saddler - well done!

But, there is no room in the prediction league for getting complacent - it is a marathon not a sprint (!) - and a lot can happen over 46 weeks! You can easily afford an off week or even to miss a week and claim the title. So, if you haven't entered yet, then feel free to join in! Week two will be set up in the next day or so ready for Saturday.

Definitely framing this before it all goes tits up :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:05 am

chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Positive advice for first timers....NEVER include Walsall in your predictions....they will ALWAYS let you down!!

Not if you have them to lose :lol:

No, they'll always let you down. :wink:

Personally, I just can't bet on the lads, win or lose or draw. I have to pick other teams, even if we're heavy favourites.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:02 am

Updated table after week 2. More of a mixed bag of scoring this weekend with a number of blobs, including from our reigning champion who is having something of a Leicester-style start to the season!! Some new players entering in at week 2 plus a few who have already forgotten to predict after the first week! :?

The winning score for week 2 was 4 points, achieved by Cully and myself (watch the inevitable slide back down the table for me now!) - well done to both of us!

Week 3 is Tuesday and Wednesday evening this week and the thread is already up and running so make sure you get your games in before 7.45pm kick off times.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Predictably poor start, as usual. :roll:

Early doors. :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:46 am

Manc's given up already! :lol:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:14 am

After a slight error on my part, here is the correct updated table from week 2!
Don't forget the Tuesday (today) and Wednesday evening games!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Updated table after week 3 (midweek games from last week). Pretty poor scoring overall with lots of zeroes as the likes of Sheffield Utd, MK Dons and Coventry fail to live up to the pre-season hype and expectation. As it was, the winning score was 4 points, achieved by itasaddler, accrued only from the 2 Wednesday games! Well done!

As you would expect, there is a lot of movement in the early weeks and good scoring has seen a few people fly up the table.
Cully still leads the way after some good early consistency!

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Updated table after week 3 (midweek games from last week). Pretty poor scoring overall with lots of zeroes as the likes of Sheffield Utd, MK Dons and Coventry fail to live up to the pre-season hype and expectation. As it was, the winning score was 4 points, achieved by itasaddler, accrued only from the 2 Wednesday games! Well done!

As you would expect, there is a lot of movement in the early weeks and good scoring has seen a few people fly up the table.
Cully still leads the way after some good early consistency!

Struggling.
Lull you all in before I strike.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:13 pm

Next updated table from week 4 (Saturday). Still a mixed bag of scoring and quite a lot of zeroes and ones again but the clear winner this week was derbysaddler with 5 points - well done!

That commanding victory has led to a huge leap up the table into joint 1st spot with 3 other predictors. A couple of good weeks at this point in the season can really catapult you up the table so no-one should get that despondent yet!

Week 5 for next weekend is already up and running as I am away from midweek.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Next updated table from week 4 (Saturday). Still a mixed bag of scoring and quite a lot of zeroes and ones again but the clear winner this week was derbysaddler with 5 points - well done!

That commanding victory has led to a huge leap up the table into joint 1st spot with 3 other predictors. A couple of good weeks at this point in the season can really catapult you up the table so no-one should get that despondent yet!

Where's Manc gone ?

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:22 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:Next updated table from week 4 (Saturday). Still a mixed bag of scoring and quite a lot of zeroes and ones again but the clear winner this week was derbysaddler with 5 points - well done!

Where's Manc gone ?

Holiday maybe? Although he usually PMs me with his predictions ahead of time when he does go away. Maybe he forgot, or has just lost the love, ha ha!

chadsmoor saddler

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Went away for the weekend to a rather stormy shell island and totally forgot to try and get a prediction in, then again in between slicing me head open, having to say rip to me tent following the storm and copious amounts of alcohol it was low on my list of things to do :lol:

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:35 pm

swampysaddler wrote:

Where's Manc gone ?

House hunting in Poundbury?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:09 am

Cully wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:Where's Manc gone ?

House hunting in Poundbury?

Are you suggesting he has no taste? :mrgreen:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:07 pm

Terrible weekend of scoring last weekend! Maybe the Bank Holiday partying put people off their stride! Loads of blobs and only 6 people scored more than 1 point! As it was, the week's winner was Cumbria-saddler with 4 points - well done!

Anyone with a reasonable score last weekend has seen some good movement in the table, and it is good to see people still joining the prediction competition during these opening few weeks!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Updated table after this weekend's fixtures. It seems some people are still yet to find their stride in the prediction league this season as there were lots of 0s and 1s again and only 5 people scored 2 or more points! One of those was the week's winner with 4 points - little ol' me! That second week's win has helped give me top spot by myself right now, although I'm sure this early season form will not last and others will find their predicting boots very soon!

I have also added the postponed game from last week (week 5) which was the Swindon v Bristol Rovers game that got abandoned because of the rain - I'll keep an eye out for when this is played and add any points for people when possible.

Next week's fixtures are already up on the week 7 thread so if you missed this week, which a few did, you have plenty of time to remember and predict before Saturday at 3pm!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:41 am

Usual poor start ... but fully expect another stellar finish by the culmination of the season. 8)

Manchester already retired hurt, and can JJ really last the pace? Derby? Cully? Ha!

Look at Saddla! :D

Clearly a flash in the pan, one season wonder! :!:

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:17 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Usual poor start ... but fully expect another stellar finish by the culmination of the season. 8)

Manchester already retired hurt, and can JJ really last the pace? Derby? Cully? Ha!

I'm trying to give you a chance. Just biding my time before I show you what I can really do :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:59 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Usual poor start ... but fully expect another stellar finish by the culmination of the season. 8)

Still below me. :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:07 am

Exile wrote:

Still below me. :wink:

And me :mrgreen:

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League