Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brexit Breakfast

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
derbysaddler
Site Addict

Re: Brexit Breakfast

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Boeing...the same company that demanded the US government slap huge import tariff fees on a style of commerical aircraft they dont even make on Bombardier which many people work for at in Northern Ireland therefore theatening jobs there?

Forgive me if I dont just roll over yet and cack mars bars in appreciation.

UTS Legend

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:35 am

derbysaddler wrote:Boeing...the same company that demanded the US government slap huge import tariff fees on a style of commerical aircraft they dont even make on Bombardier which many people work for at in Northern Ireland therefore theatening jobs there?

Yes, a tariff of around 300% - which could cost thousands of jobs in that part of the UK.

I thought the May government was going to take issue with that, and not cosy up to Boeing.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:10 am

Guest wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:Boeing...the same company that demanded the US government slap huge import tariff fees on a style of commerical aircraft they dont even make on Bombardier which many people work for at in Northern Ireland therefore theatening jobs there?

Yes, a tariff of around 300% - which could cost thousands of jobs in that part of the UK.

I thought the May government was going to take issue with that, and not cosy up to Boeing.

Thanks to the media they're hoping joe public has forgotten...seems it's worked. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:59 am

Can't wait for the referendum on the Brexit format. That'll show the wrexiteers up for the fools they are.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Acceptance that Brexit IS happening from Jean-Claude Juncker.
Shame those in this very country who voted Remain can't accept the inevitable.

From Manchester's favourite source, the BBC.

"The President of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker has said that Brexit is unlikely to be reversed.

“Don’t believe those who say that it's not going to happen and that people in the UK have realised their error... I don't think that's going to be the case,” he told a conference about the future of the EU’s finances in Brussels.

Mr Juncker said the EU should abandon the concept of countries being net payers or net recipients, as the bloc seeks to agree a multi-year budget for the period after 2020.

The Budget Commissioner Gunther Oettinger repeated figures which suggest the UK’s departure would leave an annual hole in the EU’s finances of €12-13bn. He said the gap would have to be closed with 50% spending cuts and 50% fresh money, much of which would have to come from the remaining member states. He suggested a Europe-wide tax on plastic products as a source of extra revenue.

The Commission will publish a proposal in May this year, and has urged EU leaders to agree a budget deal by May 2019".

That is one big financial hole they they are going to have to fill once we depart.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:29 pm

swampysaddler wrote:Acceptance that Brexit IS happening from Jean-Claude Juncker.

"The President of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker has said that Brexit is unlikely to be reversed.

“Don’t believe those who say that it's not going to happen and that people in the UK have realised their error... I don't think that's going to be the case,” he told a conference about the future of the EU’s finances in Brussels.

Mr Juncker said the EU should abandon the concept of countries being net payers or net recipients, as the bloc seeks to agree a multi-year budget for the period after 2020.

The Budget Commissioner Gunther Oettinger repeated figures which suggest the UK’s departure would leave an annual hole in the EU’s finances of €12-13bn. He said the gap would have to be closed with 50% spending cuts and 50% fresh money, much of which would have to come from the remaining member states. He suggested a Europe-wide tax on plastic products as a source of extra revenue.

The Commission will publish a proposal in May this year, and has urged EU leaders to agree a budget deal by May 2019".

That is one big financial hole they they are going to have to fill once we depart.

Why do you keep confusing "believing it won't" and "trying to stop"?

If nothing happens between now and that day you presumably have circled on your calendar in red white and blue then yes you are right Brexit will happen. It won't stop the people who disagree from TRYING to prevent it by circulating news and (hopefully) even initiating another vote. Now presumably you are going to call me delusional, as if you never pushed for or wanted this vote in the first place and now the other side are doing it it's "delusional" and "trying to make brexit fail".

And wow that is a big financial hole. Good job we are already giving them 39 billion to cover them for the first three years until they have to worry about it. Also, unless you voted leave because you want to cause the EU financial difficulties then I fail to see why this is good or bad remain or leave?

Can't wait to see what you've decided I'm saying here instead of what I actually have. Or maybe you'll just ignore it like you do whenever anything you say has been proven as complete nonsense.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:37 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:Acceptance that Brexit IS happening from Jean-Claude Juncker.

Why do you keep confusing "believing it won't" and "trying to stop"?

If nothing happens between now and that day you presumably have circled on your calendar in red white and blue then yes you are right Brexit will happen. It won't stop the people who disagree from TRYING to prevent it by circulating news and (hopefully) even initiating another vote. Now presumably you are going to call me delusional, as if you never pushed for or wanted this vote in the first place and now the other side are doing it it's "delusional" and "trying to make brexit fail".

And wow that is a big financial hole. Good job we are already giving them 39 billion to cover them for the first three years until they have to worry about it. Also, unless you voted leave because you want to cause the EU financial difficulties then I fail to see why this is good or bad remain or leave?

Can't wait to see what you've decided I'm saying here instead of what I actually have. Or maybe you'll just ignore it like you do whenever anything you say has been proven as complete nonsense.

Dunno, but whatever it is it's likely to include the words 'June' and 'Armageddon' :wink:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Acceptance by the EU is there for all to see but the Parliamentary geniuses of UTS know better and are still clutching at the dimmest of hopes for a second vote.
Continue living in your shell because Brexit is happening no matter how many dummies you all spit.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:23 pm

What are your thoughts on a second vote once the terms of Brexit are actually known, swampy?

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 pm

swampysaddler wrote:Acceptance by the EU is there for all to see but the Parliamentary geniuses of UTS know better and are still clutching at the dimmest of hopes for a second vote.
Continue living in your shell because Brexit is happening no matter how many dummies you all spit.

I use many sources not just the BBC. And for one who supposedly thinks the BBC is biased, you use it often enough when it suits your own arguments.

:D :wink:

I hope there IS a second vote and that common sense will prevail,

Brexiteers are TERRIFIED of the chance of a second vote because they KNOW that the truth about Brexit is out there for everyone to see.

You will lose, Swampy-lad and you KNOW it.

:D

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:22 pm

swampysaddler wrote:Acceptance by the EU is there for all to see but the Parliamentary geniuses of UTS know better and are still clutching at the dimmest of hopes for a second vote.

Yep looks like I was bang on the money with my assessment.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:27 am

Interesting read from the Guardian, the paper that campaigned the remain side.
They even mention the word "Armageddon" in big bold letters 8) 8)

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ssion=true

UTS Legend

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:54 am

There's someone on this board who believes what Juncker says?

He is only angling for more money from the 27.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:24 am

swampysaddler wrote:Interesting read from the Guardian, the paper that campaigned the remain side.

What’s the point in acknowledging you? You’ve already decided what my response is, rather than what I actually type

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:12 pm

swampysaddler wrote:Interesting read from the Guardian, the paper that campaigned the remain side.

Setting aside the arguments for one moment, I don't think the fact that this was published in the Guardian is particularly significant. Larry Elliott has written consistently in favour of Brexit from a left-wing perspective - for example this article dating from May 2016, i.e. before the referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... atic-elite

It is not that the Grauniad has changed its mind - its editorial line remains strongly pro-Remain (in my view correctly so). Its just that as a newspaper, as opposed to a propaganda megaphone like the Daily Mail, Express, etc it is prepared to give house room to opposing views - for example a recent piece by Liam Fox arguing for a hard Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... it-britain

I don't think for a minute that it would be possible to quote a pro-EU article from the Mail or any of the other right-wing rags, though I stand to be corrected!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:55 pm

We voted leave!

Not all of us did...

But I did!

so?

So its happening! and who the hell are you to question it?

Just using my free will to disagree with something...

There you go again! spitting your dummies out and going against the will of the PEOPLE!!

*SIGH*

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:13 pm

cookyskid wrote:

Setting aside the arguments for one moment, I don't think the fact that this was published in the Guardian is particularly significant. Larry Elliott has written consistently in favour of Brexit from a left-wing perspective - for example this article dating from May 2016, i.e. before the referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... atic-elite

It is not that the Grauniad has changed its mind - its editorial line remains strongly pro-Remain (in my view correctly so). Its just that as a newspaper, as opposed to a propaganda megaphone like the Daily Mail, Express, etc it is prepared to give house room to opposing views - for example a recent piece by Liam Fox arguing for a hard Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... it-britain

I don't think for a minute that it would be possible to quote a pro-EU article from the Mail or any of the other right-wing rags, though I stand to be corrected!

You should read the comments on the Daily Express website. As soon as somebody who is a Remainer points something out that is valid, it gets deleted. I followed a thread and the same guy tried to post the same thing three times and one of the things he asked was "Why do you keep deleting my comment? How do you expect to have a healthy debate when you are pandering solely to one side of the argument?"

The comment wasn't nasty - unlike some of the responses - from one or two Brexiteers which were pretty close to the bone.

I think we can have a civil debate without censoring comments from one-side.

But then again what would you expect from the Daily Mail and Daily Express. To be honest, it is worth reading the comments and stories to see how amazingly caveman-like some of their readers are.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:You should read the comments on the Daily Express website.
But then again what would you expect from the Daily Mail and Daily Express.

You are not just hysterical, you are also obsessed.

You've also little respect for democracy nor respect for the views of someone other than you.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:42 am

saddlerken wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:You should read the comments on the Daily Express website.

You've also little respect for democracy nor respect for the views of someone other than you.

So what your views on a vote once we know the actual terms of the potential Brexit?

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 am

The referendum wastn't the start of an ongoing voting process it was simply in or out and the majority voted out that is the end of the matter.(As far as outers are concerned)

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am

Democracy didn't end when the results of the vote came in folks.

Therefore it's everyone's right to share their views, arguments and evidence as often and as forcefully as they wish.

And that IS democracy.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 am

Exile wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

So what your views on a vote once we know the actual terms of the potential Brexit?

If the EU knew there was going to be another vote, they would offer nothing but the worst possible deal they could. It would make negotiation with them impossible.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 am

Is it also part of the democratic process that the results of an election/referendum are accepted by all that participate?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:36 am

Wragbyred wrote:Is it also part of the democratic process that the results of an election/referendum are accepted by all that participate?

Not when it's clearly harmful, there's new information, there's no plan and there's no explanation of what the end result is, no.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 am

Really??

I believed after the last General Election that a Conservative Government would be harmful to the overall economy/population of the country, however, I accepted the result because that was the will of the people (even if it wasn't a majority of the electorate!)

Now THAT is democracy!!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 am

Wragbyred wrote:Is it also part of the democratic process that the results of an election/referendum are accepted by all that participate?

The EU has a long history of ignoring the results of referenda when they don't go their way. When the French and Dutch rejected the European Constitution, the EU just gave it a different name and implemented it anyway without giving the French and Dutch electorate chance to vote to reject it again.

The Irish were given the vote, and did reject it, but the result was ignored and the Irish were made to vote again, and presumably would have been forced to repeat until the EU got the result it wanted.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:55 am

Wragbyred wrote:Really??

I believed after the last General Election that a Conservative Government would be harmful to the overall economy/population of the country, however, I accepted the result because that was the will of the people (even if it wasn't a majority of the electorate!)

Now THAT is democracy!!

Hold on, how can both of those things be true?

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 pm

El_Nombre wrote:

Now THAT is democracy!!

Welcome to the British electoral system, seats won versus percentage of the vote

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Elected for a term of five years. After which the electorate chooses again based, partly, on their performance.

Shouting 'democracy!' while dismissing any attempts to further explore the implications of a decision that will have a profound impact on the prosperity and lives of future generations is a hugely over-ambitious leap.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Wragbyred wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Now THAT is democracy!!

Welcome to the British electoral system, seats won versus percentage of the vote

No I'm not talking about the electoral system, I'm asking how it can possibly be "the will of the people" like you said it was?

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League