Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

M K Dons (H) Sunday 30 Apr, 12 noon

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Re: M K Dons (H) Sunday 30 Apr, 12 noon

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Walsallone wrote: Roberts had a fine game Tuesday but to play him out of position in just his 4th game was crazy.

He wasn't out of position. Roberts is a right footed centre half, not a left footed one (or even a left back as someone else above compared him to Rico).

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Well Jonny in the other games he played he played on the left and when I saw he him play for the youth team he played left back!! Anyway he was clearly not at the races today which was surprising after his assured performance on Tuesday. We all know young players have bad and good games but the difference between the 2 performances was remarkable.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well Jonny in the other games he played he played on the left and when I saw he him play for the youth team he played left back!! Anyway he was clearly not at the races today which was surprising after his assured performance on Tuesday. We all know young players have bad and good games but the difference between the 2 performances was remarkable.

Against Port Vale he played on the left side as I believe he has a better left foot than Preston. However the two games he played at Christmas was both at right sided centre half. Also not sure why he would play LB for the youth team considering we have Callum Cockerill-Mollett but I haven't watched them myself, just looked at the team sheets.

vorny

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:28 pm

Cannot believe I gave up more revision time to go and watch that Muppet circus again :roll: :evil:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Cowshed wrote:Judging by the report in e&s he has lost the players

One comment on the club's Facebook (I know, I know....) mentions a "rumour" that Oztumer has submitted a transfer request. Naturally hoping that this can be filed with the other 99% of bolognaise that appears on there.... :?

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Absolute and utter shambles.

How anyone can survive that end to the season is beyond me.

Just waiting for Walsallmem to come on and show what a better fan he is by defending that utter shite.

WHITNEY OUT TODAY.

WSTFC
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Ironic isn't it how Whitney was a grave digger, and he is now digging one for our club. We have gone backwards this season, in every way. Whitney Out.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:36 pm

What a wonderful day of adventurous and scintillating football I was privileged to watch today. Can't wait for the new season to start. Will be most surprised if we don't get automatic promotion. Hail the greatest managerial find in modern times.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Looks like my pregame prediction came true ...

Absolutely right to play the kids, absolutely wrong to stick with the same system that worked for a couple of weeks in the winter and to allow the players to be building sand castles already.

Whitneys not the man for us but at this point that's not beating a dead horse, it's killing the horse, burning it, spreading the ashes and then beating the ground. It was obvious after Barnsley.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Grim.

The only positive to take from that non performance is we don't have to watch football of that calibre for 3 months.

Oh, and Jason McCarthy's acceptance speech. What a nice guy.

What a turgid end to the season.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:57 pm

Mc'Arthy, Ozzy & O,connell are all capable of playing at the next level,They can do better than being stuck in the mediocrity that we accept year in year out.
Jason seems like a great lad and has given his all good luck to him he will be remembered with respect.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:14 pm

And that is how it ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:47 pm

fudge crap.

Whitney deserves all the pelters he's getting but let's not let the players off here.... shite for weeks now. For all the warnings that last summer was one of transition we are not one step further forward than when JW took the job.

Well done Ozzy and JM for their awards (really funny when Ozzy got 1,2,3 for goal of the season). Those two and O'Connell, who is a talent... other than that complete shite.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Exile wrote:And that is how it ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Yes, and to howls of laughter from the other clubs fans in the division.
In fact to howls of laughter from anyone who follows football.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Whitters wrote:
Exile wrote:And that is how it ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Yes, and to howls of laughter from the other clubs fans in the division.
In fact to howls of laughter from anyone who follows football.

I bet any of the clubs just relegated from League One would quite happily trade places with us.

UTS Legend

Mon May 01, 2017 12:39 am

Final game goalfest at Banks's Stadium.

https://youtu.be/XqOCVbIOJV4

Surely worth the entrance money, and the trip up the M1. :mrgreen:

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon May 01, 2017 1:14 am

Thanks guest!
This was a pre-season friendly wasn't it - or a testimonial?

UTS Legend

Mon May 01, 2017 2:09 am

Whitters wrote:Thanks guest!
This was a pre-season friendly wasn't it - or a testimonial?

It was testimony to our progress this season. :(

m&m
Glitterati

Mon May 01, 2017 8:43 am

And Whitney thinks that Dobson can be a replacement for Osbourne?
He dodged a tackle when he could have had a chance of shooting the then was weaker than my mom would have been in the challenge that led to their 4 th.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon May 01, 2017 9:02 am

A terrible display from us yesterday. We did improve in the second half with a bit more urgency once Flo and Morris came on but that is not saying much. I feel sorry for Roberts and Candlin having 'to blood' themselves in that mess of a performance and I hope it does not do them any lasting damage in their development. I thought Roberts started competently but once he began committing mistakes (including losing possession that led to the second goal) he was liability and had to be taken off whilst Candlin touched the ball perhaps once (?). I question the wisdom of starting him in this game - he's simply not ready.

I'm not sure if JW is trying to make a point about the paucity of resources he has at his disposal or whether he genuinely thinks giving these lads a learning opportunity is the right thing to do. I can only say that whatever plan he had in mind has backfired and has now probably put his own job at risk. I'm sure the board (i.e. Bonser) will be meeting to discuss 'progress' this season but I can't help thinking that there is a real possibility that JW could be sacked after the recent run of performances/results.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon May 01, 2017 9:53 am

Guest wrote:Final game goalfest at Banks's Stadium.

https://youtu.be/XqOCVbIOJV4

Surely worth the entrance money, and the trip up the M1. :mrgreen:

Great finishes for the first 2 MK goals and the Ozzy goal but that 4th MK goal was just embarrassing and shocking, truly shocking.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 am

m&m wrote:And Whitney thinks that Dobson can be a replacement for Osbourne?
He dodged a tackle when he could have had a chance of shooting the then was weaker than my mom would have been in the challenge that led to their 4 th.

Agreed.

He's a typical West Ham youth product, good on the ball and can pick a pass but very lightweight.

Next season is going to be very difficult if Dobson and Chambers is going to be the regular midfield duo...one 37 and the other too slow.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon May 01, 2017 10:10 am

BathSaddler wrote:A terrible display from us yesterday. We did improve in the second half with a bit more urgency once Flo and Morris came on but that is not saying much. I feel sorry for Roberts and Candlin having 'to blood' themselves in that mess of a performance and I hope it does not do them any lasting damage in their development. I thought Roberts started competently but once he began committing mistakes (including losing possession that led to the second goal) he was liability and had to be taken off whilst Candlin touched the ball perhaps once (?). I question the wisdom of starting him in this game - he's simply not ready.

I'm not sure if JW is trying to make a point about the paucity of resources he has at his disposal or whether he genuinely thinks giving these lads a learning opportunity is the right thing to do. I can only say that whatever plan he had in mind has backfired and has now probably put his own job at risk. I'm sure the board (i.e. Bonser) will be meeting to discuss 'progress' this season but I can't help thinking that there is a real possibility that JW could be sacked after the recent run of performances/results.

I actually don't think he's even played the right youth players apart from Roberts. Cockerill-Mollet played regularly in the JPT so surely when Laird was told he wasn't playing again this season he should've been given games at LB unless he's injured?

Butterfield is another one I thought would be involved once Osbourne was sent packing given his similarities in build. I don't know if he's been any good for the reserves though.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon May 01, 2017 10:23 am

The last 3 games sound absolute gash.

The season has ended just in bloody time.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 am

Whitney out, as I said before Christmas.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon May 01, 2017 10:38 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:The last 3 games sound absolute gash.

The season has ended just in bloody time.

Not just the last 3

The last 10 show only 1 win with 6 defeats

hopefully the losers mentality will be gone over the summer I know that most of these last 10 games the players had nothing to play for but they have now developed a bad habit

UTS Legend

Mon May 01, 2017 1:21 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
Cowshed wrote:Judging by the report in e&s he has lost the players

One comment on the club's Facebook (I know, I know....) mentions a "rumour" that Oztumer has submitted a transfer request. Naturally hoping that this can be filed with the other 99% of bolognaise that appears on there.... :?

Would the lack of celebration after his goal yesterday suggest that this might be true? Or was it just that the goal was fairly meaningless in the context of this particular game?

A good goal, though.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Mon May 01, 2017 9:23 pm

:( :shock: :roll: :evil:

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue May 02, 2017 8:16 am

Watching those goals here's hoping Craig MacGillivray isn't our number one next season.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue May 02, 2017 8:35 am

I am not sure about the goalie but do you really think he should have saved any of the goals? The first 2 were superb strikes and the last 2 were deflections giving him no chance!

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season