Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (H) Tues 25th April, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Re: Port Vale (H) Tues 25th April, 7.45pm

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 am

philthesaddler wrote:I dont get this constant criticism of Morris.

Every decent team needs a player that can carry the ball, because that's one of the easiest ways to turn defence in to attack. Morris is one of maybe 3 players in the squad that can run 50 yards with the ball at his feet, and he's got a powerful shot, and he makes things happen etc...yet he gets pelters. Don't get it.

He's wasteful in possession, he cannot shoot accurately enough and is more hitting and hoping even when given space and time. His passing is not very good and he too often leads to us being counter attacked by making the wrong decision in an important area.

However in defence of him, he does need to take more risks and with the defensive set up we have he should be afforded this. He improves when he has a run of games and last season he was starting to grow into a half decent player for this level. Unfortunately Whitney seems to find a team that works one week and then play them over and over rather than rotate the squad meaning he has spent long spells this season not getting any football.

Over all he has declined in the last year from a bright prospect to a playing for his future type of role. It is hard to judge whether this is his fault, the work he is being made to do on the training ground or a combination of the two, either way here's hoping he turns it around.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:09 pm

We are absolute fudge rubbish.

Again.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Whitney in the E&S:

“I’m proud of my young players and I’m sure my chairman, the directors and my staff are proud of them as well,” the boss said.
“I couldn’t fault my lads my effort. When you compare that to Saturday – when I was apologising, I’m not going to apologise for that performance.
“I have got five academy products in from the start. I’ve got two 17-year-olds coming off the bench.
“And I thought there were some great performances. I thought Kory Roberts was outstanding. I thought Maz Kouhyar was as real credit.

That's all OK then. If only the FL gave extra points for 'effort'.

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Tom_1992 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Tom_1992 wrote:ElNombre, if you read my post you will see that it's not just yesterday's result which is annoying most supporters, it's the continuous week in week out dirge that has ground us down. From the almost laughable press conferences, to bizarre team selections, negative tactics, non existent style of play, no noticeable improvement from the players and a whole load of other factors, I just don't understand how you think JW is the man to take us forward?

I mean, you made a point that there is more to it than this team selection, which is fair ... then you asked me to defend a point I never made.

I don't think he is the man to take us forward. In fact, how he got a contract after the Barnsley shower was beyond me, it was obvious we needed a man with a bit more experience in charge to get promotion, if that is still the clubs aim mind you.

But yesterday was an absolute throwaway, as will Sunday be. He did the exact right thing. We are playing for nothing, anybody who won't be here next season, especially loanees, shouldn't be on the pitch. What do we possibly gain from it? We need to know what a strongest 11 is going to be heading into the transfer window with the inevitable leavers. People getting ate up about yesterdays team selection and subsequent result are delusional.

Fair enough, I minsunderstood you as a Whitney fan. To those that do support him however, what do you actually see week in week out that gives you the confidence that's he's up to the job.

From last season's nightmares against Sheff U, Oldham, Bradford and Barnsley to this season's appallingly long list of failures, the writing is on the wall imo.

Tom - you are mirroring the points I've also been making in that since last seasons closing (important) games, he has taken us backwards (by some distance) and a development manager (which is what he is) should have been taking more stock of his playing assets much sooner than he has done.

No one had any clue what his best options were (including him seemingly) until we put together that short purple patch after Xmas - now he's ditching them at a fast rate of knots because he's realised many of them are either on their way or he's no control of whether they might be here or not - the youngsters then might be forming the new spine of his squad for next season....

I'm not in any way knocking the youth system at the club as I fully understand it's our lifeblood but again, what a clear lack of forsight and detail was shown last night when he bought on the two lads who were like sheep to the slaughter of a Vale side that were fighting for survival... Admittedly, Kory looked a good asset at our level and I'm sure with more gametime will progress well (and god we need him to) but that apart JW simply got it all so wrong yet again....

It was no coincidence that as soon as they got the goal they replaced Eagles (clearly their best player) because they knew that with our team and formation (if thats what it can be called) we just weren't a threat to them.

I'm very worried we are spiralling into a bad period for our club and something needs to change very quickly to stop it happening

WalsallMem

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:39 pm

coop63 wrote:
I'm very worried we are spiralling into a bad period for our club and something needs to change very quickly to stop it happening

Well, no managerial change is going to be made, I can 100% guarantee all of you that.

I look forward to popping back to this board middle of next season. People making themselves look mugs on here never gets old.

Titch

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Disappointed, but not surprised.
Quality goal from Eagles.
Unrelated but...
Just realised It's our worst away record since 1989. Wins anyway.

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:53 pm

WalsallMem wrote:
coop63 wrote:

Well, no managerial change is going to be made, I can 100% guarantee all of you that.

I look forward to popping back to this board middle of next season. People making themselves look mugs on here never gets old.

Thanks for the guarantee Mem - unfortunately you know no more or less than I do about any potential management changes so thats it covered

Thanks for your input and hopefully it will be next season when we next hear from you - bye for now! :roll:

WalsallMem

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:36 pm

coop63 wrote:
WalsallMem wrote:
coop63 wrote:

Thanks for the guarantee Mem - unfortunately you know no more or less than I do about any potential management changes so thats it covered

Thanks for your input and hopefully it will be next season when we next hear from you - bye for now! :roll:

I'll pop back on in summer when no management change has been made, then again middle of next season when the club is not in the middle of any kind of crisis :mrgreen:

Don't want to miss any opportunities, do I? It's fun.

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season