Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) Apr 22nd, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (A) Apr 22nd, 3pm

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Don't criticise the manager, EVER!

How dare you all have an opinion.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:27 pm

We are utter fudge rubbish.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:47 pm

WalsallMem wrote:The usual, boring whine-fest on Up The Saddlers from a bunch of supporters that have no idea what a proper crisis is.

Cracking plan Baldrick! Lets wait until we're in a real crisis before we act. Much better than recognising the problem and acting before the rot sets in!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:59 pm

coop63 wrote:

With a different approach we could and should have done much better this season in what I honestly believe is a poor division.. if things don't change then god help us next time around as there will be plenty of bigger spenders in the mix..

Indeed, promotion next season is a virtual write off already without a ball being kicked.....just imagine who will be vying for the top spots........................

Portsmouth/Wigan/Blackburn/Doncaster/Bolton (possibly)/Birmingham (possibly)Fleetwood/Scunny.............Plymouth & Rotherscum come to that.
All, well nearly all with mossive money to spend....where will we be? Mid table/relegation fodder by Cringle, Whitney will get the sack, we appoint yet another O'Dismal type who will then guide us relentlessly towards the 4th Division, or is that me being slightly pessimistic?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Gloom,gloom,gloom.... sad, sad ,sad that AM is so pessimistic.....I am an optimist thank goodness :D

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:29 pm

Walsallone wrote:Gloom,gloom,gloom.... sad, sad ,sad that AM is so pessimistic.....I am an optimist thank goodness :D

Maybe AM's view is seen as overtly pessimistic but for me, it's also very realistic in this case - teams like those highlighted (with a possible few exceptions) will spend what's necessary to get back into the Championship and as has been mentioned loads of times on our forum in recent months (even years) that level of investment by footballing standards is relatively small for some if them..

Just look at what Burton achieved from very humble beginnings but not massively strong financially - I'd suggest (and it frustrates me to admit it) what they have done is shrewd and well managed but with an ambition and drive that sadly is lacking at our club..

I'm sick of hearing that a club with our relatively small fan base and match day attendances simply cannot invest more heavily than we do because of those facts - I think that's just modelled into consistent excuses from a board unwilling to commit investment for the betterment of the club..

WalsallMem

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:29 pm

Tinned in manager criticism shocker! Aint been on here in about 2 years but my God, some people never change do they :lol:

I think you will find most of the clubs in turmoil are so because of long term ownership issues, not a poor managerial appointment. As I said earlier in this thread, managers are utterly disposable these days and aren't around long enough to cause a crisis! So, in your opinion Tinned, Whitney is gonna oversee a Leyton Orient-style demise :lol: :lol: hilarious. Your jokes are as good as PT's!

When talking about managers motivating players earlier in the thread I was referring to all managers, not particularly ours. The way the game is set up these days if your a player in a team with nothing to play for, nobody is going to be able to motivate you! Your manager earns less, you dont give a fudge about the fans, you leave the ground in your sports car with a full bank balance. So expect more of the same tomorrow. Its rotten, but its the way it is. The beautiful game.

Once again people are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing, funnily enough the same who made fools of themselves over Smith. Have a pint, try drugs - squeeze some fun from life somewhere for gods sake. Walsall FC are just fine.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Keep your eyes closed when you insert your head. That sand can sting your eyes :lol:

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 pm

WalsallMem wrote:Tinned in manager criticism shocker! Aint been on here in about 2 years but my God, some people never change do they :lol:

I think you will find most of the clubs in turmoil are so because of long term ownership issues, not a poor managerial appointment. As I said earlier in this thread, managers are utterly disposable these days and aren't around long enough to cause a crisis! So, in your opinion Tinned, Whitney is gonna oversee a Leyton Orient-style demise :lol: :lol: hilarious. Your jokes are as good as PT's!

When talking about managers motivating players earlier in the thread I was referring to all managers, not particularly ours. The way the game is set up these days if your a player in a team with nothing to play for, nobody is going to be able to motivate you! Your manager earns less, you dont give a fudge about the fans, you leave the ground in your sports car with a full bank balance. So expect more of the same tomorrow. Its rotten, but its the way it is. The beautiful game.

Once again people are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing, funnily enough the same who made fools of themselves over Smith. Have a pint, try drugs - squeeze some fun from life somewhere for gods sake. Walsall FC are just fine.

Not entirely down to long term ownership issues - in many cases it's down to changes after long term ownership that go sour so effectively Its the change and poor short term strategies that prove critical.. that's what's happened to Leyton Orient specifically speaking...

I agree with your point about managers and effectively it's no different to business in general - if the owners employ poor managers and delegate appropriate responsibility then failures usually occur... not rocket science

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:52 pm

COOP63 if Smith had stayed last year we would have gone up so I think your main point about the Board is not valid. Indeed the Board then supported O'Driscoll by not selling players in January which it could easily have done. The O'Driscoll appointment went wrong but I and many others on here thought, like the Board,that he had the right track record to take us up. What happened after was disappointing but to blame the Board is wrong on this occasion.
As for this season the Board sanctioned the recruitment of some good quality players but it is clear from our results that the balance of the team has not been right. I posted earlier that this coming Summer is very important for the Manager to bring in some good attacking players..if he is successful in that then none of the clubs listed by AM scare me because we have shown we can do well in this league on a reasonably modest budget.

WalsallMem

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm

You write far too much sense for this forum Walsallone. Are you sure you haven't taken a wrong turn and ended up here by accident? Just about agreed with every post on this thread - extremely rare

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Walsallone wrote:COOP63 if Smith had stayed last year we would have gone up so I think your main point about the Board is not valid. Indeed the Board then supported O'Driscoll by not selling players in January which it could easily have done. The O'Driscoll appointment went wrong but I and many others on here thought, like the Board,that he had the right track record to take us up. What happened after was disappointing but to blame the Board is wrong on this occasion.
As for this season the Board sanctioned the recruitment of some good quality players but it is clear from our results that the balance of the team has not been right. I posted earlier that this coming Summer is very important for the Manager to bring in some good attacking players..if he is successful in that then none of the clubs listed by AM scare me because we have shown we can do well in this league on a reasonably modest budget.

DS was a good manager IMO and I didn't say that managers didn't influence success or failure - clearly some managers ARE the difference between clubs achieving good things and not and I can only agree with your comments regarding DS and SOD.in our case.

That said, the board didn't get it all right last season - many felt we had a problem looming with little back up to Tom Bradshaw up front and the lack of future thinking with more attractive longer term contracts for players that were clearly going to be moving on to bigger and better things.. I know these points are debateable but in reality our board has a track record of overtly conservative leadership (which I admit has many merits at our level) but I think that on balance most fans get frustrated at the excuse of our small fan base being the key factor in investment when needed..

Everyone knows and it's public knowledge too that our playing budget is one of if not the smallest in L1 - the stats don't change much and our fan base doesn't either (radically anyway..)

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:09 am

A good response COOP63. The only additional response I would make is that these days the players hold all the cards when it comes to contracts. The club made many efforts last year to extend contracts as they have this year with Etheridge but if the answer is no then they have no chance because there will always be a Sheff Utd, Barnsley,Brentford around who have more resources either through higher gates or a Chairman willing and able to inject cash.
To maintain a competitive team and give us the chance of championship football is not easy.We can do it and I am sure we will get another chance sometime but whether it will be next year depends on player recruitment. I wish JW well in that regard. UTS

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:13 am

WalsallMem is like a video game Level up from Walsallone. Or the second phase of the happy clapper Pokemon evolution. I can't imagine what will happen once the happy clapper reaches it's ultimate level!!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:20 am

WalsallMem wrote: Aint been on here in about 2 years but my God, some people never change do they :lol: .

Missing so long you re-registered because you clearly forgot your login, but meanwhile you presume to judge every UTSer. How about you contribute more regularly to redress the balance instead of bitch about it? :D

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm just going to list a few games from this season:

Yeovil (h)
Bury (h)
Chesterfield (a)
Macclesfield (h)
Scunthorpe (h)
Northampton (a)
Rochdale (a)
Fleetwood Town (a)
Rochdale (h)
Bolton (a)
Southend (a)
Coventry (a)

Having had the absolute displeasure of watching all these games live, I really do wonder how some people can still think of JW as a competent football manager. All of the above feature either dinosaur like defensive tactics, capitulations at the slightest hint of pressure or just complete abjectness.

This from a team that the physio lauded would have 'passion, desire. fight, blah blah blah...' Coventry was the final straw, I have never known such apathy in the Walsall away following. Even at Bristol City a couple of years back the crowd didn't turn because we were at least having a 'go'. Imagine going to an already relegated team with the same uninspiring, negative tactics that have failed to a yield an away win since Boxing Day. Clueless.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Tom_1992 wrote:I'm just going to list a few games from this season:

Yeovil (h)
Bury (h)
Chesterfield (a)
Macclesfield (h)
Scunthorpe (h)
Northampton (a)
Rochdale (a)
Fleetwood Town (a)
Rochdale (h)
Bolton (a)
Southend (a)
Coventry (a)

Having had the absolute displeasure of watching all these games live, I really do wonder how some people can still think of JW as a competent football manager. All of the above feature either dinosaur like defensive tactics, capitulations at the slightest hint of pressure or just complete abjectness.

This from a team that the physio lauded would have 'passion, desire. fight, blah blah blah...' Coventry was the final straw, I have never known such apathy in the Walsall away following. Even at Bristol City a couple of years back the crowd didn't turn because we were at least having a 'go'. Imagine going to an already relegated team with the same uninspiring, negative tactics that have failed to a yield an away win since Boxing Day. Clueless.

Expect one of the following replies -

"It's his first full season"
"He is still learning"
"We gave Smith time"
"His recruitment has been great though!"
"The players deserve the blame, not the manager"
"JW deserves respect. He's a great servant to Walsall Fc"

The way I see it.

JW stumbled on a effective formation.
Worked for a bit.
Other managers adjusted to our formation.
Our form dips.

Simple really isn't it!? Now, a GOOD manager would change formation or at least tweek it to counter the opposition. Whitney can't do that. He is incapable, especially during games. He may stumble across a winning formula only for other managers to outsmart and out-think him. He is not a manager. He IS CLUELESS.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Glad I was drinking copious amounts of booze by the pool on holiday

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season