Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) Apr 22nd, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (A) Apr 22nd, 3pm

Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Kevlar wrote:
bigste wrote:Hope this is not the case and worst case is a few hundred plastic pigs are hurled onto the pitch.

How do you throw a Robin Reliant ?

It just takes 2 people instead of 1 ....... :wink:

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Coventry storm up to 23rd...

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Just think when Port Vale beat us (because any old relegated team could do it against this shambles of a squad), they could, possibly, escape relegation.................if any team in the relegation mire was desperate for an easy game they would pick Walsall currently.............an embarrassing climax to an utterly forgettable season of mediocrity.

Lets hope Whitney et al eventually decide in the close season that we require a 'striker', sorry I'm swearing on a post again, we all know that word is taboo around Bescot........... :lol: :wink:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:38 pm

I think the new commentator on SadWorld is pretty good but I must admit my attention wandered while that was on.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:49 pm

hullsaddler wrote:I think the new commentator on SadWorld is pretty good but I must admit my attention wandered while that was on.
The only thing i can remember is "FRAMED DISCONNECTED DESTINATION OUT OF ORDER" :|

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Just back home from Cov and still seething about that dreadful performance against a relegated. Team.
The lack of effort from at least half of that side was quite frankly an insult to the good away following.
I'm sick of Whitney's constant bluster about a strong finish to the season etc..
He's not what we need for next year.
I'd swap him for Mark Robbins in the blink of an eye.

We deserve refunds after this no show today.

Whitney out!!!

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Just got back from what must be one of the worst Walsall performances for a while (in my opinion!)

Abject and clueless are the only words I can use to describe that lot today - not a single player seemed bothered and we looked like a team of strangers - not knowing who does what where and If JW even trys to defend that garbage or make out the sending off had any bearing on the game then frankly he should be relieved of his duties - he MUST take full responsibility for what is going on...

I know I'll calm down in a while but I'm so angry that against 3 very very poor teams we,ve scraped a lucky win, a lucky draw and well, all we got today was exactly what we deserved

Port Vale will complete this quartet of games against the bottom dwellers of the division this season and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they take the points..

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Just to add to my recent post for those that weren't there today - Coventry are officially the worst team in our division by a country mile and that's no credit to them either - just makes how crap we were much harder to take!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:34 pm

chunkster wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:I think the new commentator on SadWorld is pretty good but I must admit my attention wandered while that was on.
The only thing i can remember is "FRAMED DISCONNECTED DESTINATION OUT OF ORDER" :|

There have certainly been more technical problems in the last month or so, agreed.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Just seen JW's comments on our website:

“There have to be people being accountable for that first-half performance because it was unacceptable
Read more at http://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/article/ ... first-half

Yes Jon they do and it's YOU

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:36 pm

JW has made a public apology to the fans.
So you bloody should, Jon.
You keep picking the same players over and over again.
Three times in a week, FFS!
It was obvious on Monday that certain players were dead on their feet - but no.

Earlier this week I wrote:This a dead rubber. Let's see the extent of his tactical genius.

Nil

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Public apology. Fair enough.
What are you going to do about it though Whitney?

I can forgive poor performances but I cannot forgive not trying which is what happened today.

If Bakayoko thinks that level of effort is acceptable he can leave now.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 pm

leics_saddler wrote:JW has made a public apology to the fans.
So you bloody should, Jon.
You keep picking the same players over and over again.
Three times in a week, FFS!
It was obvious on Monday that certain players were dead on their feet - but no.

Earlier this week I wrote:This a dead rubber. Let's see the extent of his tactical genius.

Nil

I've said it before about our fitness levels - we are supposedly well covered with fitness coaching and physio support etc (even our manager is a fitness guru) so why oh why when we've not exactly had a long hard season are players knackered every 2nd half?!?!? It's not like they are working their gonads off is it - we are getting outfought in games by crap opposition and I just don't understand it...

There's not a lot of positives to take out of games this last few months - we've been found out by so many teams since Feb that it's embarrassing

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:08 pm

m&m wrote:Public apology. Fair enough.

I can forgive poor performances but I cannot forgive not trying which is what happened today.

Being honest m&m - Bako wasn't on his own today.. I admit he was poor but he was matched by the rest of them... I can't recall a Walsall team where so many underperform together at times.. something is wrong with the training regime because whatever they spend their time doing, it's not helping them in games...

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Have to agree with coops, that was a wretched performance.

Tone was set by Chambers having one of his worst ever games for Walsall so if the captain is continually giving it away then the rest will do.

Poor poor game, didn't even have any protests to liven things up as Coventry fans were kept at bay by stewards and police.

Not helped aswell by the morons to the left of me casually floating racial comments whenever Baka miscontrolled a ball or failed to hold it up.

Just relegate Vale and be done with this season.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:21 pm

He's ok in his commentary but someone needs to teach him the players names, Makrease and McGinganggoolievray??!!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:25 pm

m&m wrote:Public apology. Fair enough.

Really didn't understand why Ozzy didn't start.

He played a good 20 minutes v Swindon and has had a few more days training so was presumably fit for at least an hour?

He wasn't even that great when he came on but the attacks are so much more quick on the break with him on as he releases the ball quickly rather than take a million touches like most of them do.

It's not rocket science...leave your best players on the bench and then wonder why the team look so poor for an hour.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Just think when Port Vale beat us (because any old relegated team could do it against this shambles of a squad), they could, possibly, escape relegation.................if any team in the relegation mire was desperate for an easy game they would pick Walsall currently.............an embarrassing climax to an utterly forgettable season of mediocrity.

Lets hope Whitney et al eventually decide in the close season that we require a 'striker', sorry I'm swearing on a post again, we all know that word is taboo around Bescot........... :lol: :wink:

Swindon?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Awful performance. Only player that seemed like he gave a cack was O'Connor, rest of them couldn't give a cack.

I'll give Whitney the summer to improve the squad but I'm beginning to lose patience with him, Dean Smith got patience cause we had a clear style of play and plan. Whitney clearly doesn't have one, but i'm more than willing to give him till September/October-ish to prove it.

Not sure how we have become so cack away from home all of a sudden though, we were really good away under Deano so surely Whitney learned a few things right?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Awful performance. Only player that seemed like he gave a cack was O'Connor, rest of them couldn't give a cack.

I'll give Whitney the summer to improve the squad but I'm beginning to lose patience with him, Dean Smith got patience cause we had a clear style of play and plan. Whitney clearly doesn't have one, but i'm more than willing to give him till September/October-ish to prove it.

Not sure how we have become so cack away from home all of a sudden though, we were really good away under Deano so surely Whitney learned a few things right?

It just balances out the far better home form really. If away form was as good as home or in the previous seasons Walsall would be challenging for automatic promotion again and team is obviously nowhere near that level.

Big problem is how poor the team are defending set pieces nowadays. You're always going to be under pressure for long periods in away games and today was yet another cheap goal given away by not defending a short corner properly.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Leaving aside some dreadful individual performances, the club have to ask themselves if Whitney is taking the club in the right direction.

There's seems to be too many of these games where "we just weren't good enough", or whatever phraseology Whitney decides to use that week. And this is pretty much every other week.

I don't see any plan or considered approach in our tactics, so I don't really want Whitney being given any more time to damage us. Even during the poor spells under Smith we had some kind of plan.

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:47 pm

lets be honest, this squad just isn't as special as last, we shouldn't have even considered mid table let alone play offs at the start of the season.

There are workhorses in the team and a few taundry'esque attitudes but that will evidently get you nowhere.
You need players who can turn something on and are top quality for this division.

Henry, Bradshaw and Sawyers were all that and more.

The only exception is Ozzy. We have nothing else. As much as you try and defend it.
I'm sorry but that's how it is....we need quality and somebody with a plan on how to use them (never been a Whitney out fan) but its clear to see.

Seeing him come out and openly admit we are looking at players like Ugwu (who isn't much better than N'goo) shows we are in for a world of mediocrity for the next 2 seasons.

Stevie Wonder can see it. I'm sorry. :cry:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Micky Saddler wrote:lets be honest, this squad just isn't as special as last, we shouldn't have even considered mid table let alone play offs at the start of the season.

There are workhorses in the team and a few taundry'esque attitudes but that will evidently get you nowhere.
You need players who can turn something on and are top quality for this division.

The only exception is Ozzy. We have nothing else. As much as you try and defend it.
I'm sorry but that's how it is....we need quality and somebody with a plan on how to use them (never been a Whitney out fan) but its clear to see.

Seeing him come out and openly admit we are looking at players like Ugwu (who isn't much better than N'goo) shows we are in for a world of mediocrity for the next 2 seasons.

No point even trying to compare the current squad with last season - no point at all

I agree with your other points and it worries me that Witney may be given the opportunity to continue in the job into next season which by default means he's got the say on who's in or out in the closed season.. regardless of who may come or go, if the tactical nouse and planning isnt in place then what's there to look forward to???

Our current form in nothing short of shambolic and every game we look leggy at best and clueless for the most part and the points we are picking up here and there are generally gifted or very close calls indeed.. (Swindon and sloppies being the obvious most recent versions!)

Personally I'll be glad to see the end of this season - with the exception of a short spell after Xmas including the now seemingly remarkable 4-1 win against the blades, it's been a totally forgettable experience..

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:18 pm

It's been said, but that was awful. A halftime double substitution demonstrates that it was so bad even Whitney saw it. Though I'd have hooked Baka rather than Makris.

Such a contrast with our last away game of last season. We knew that this year wouldn't be the same but Whitney's took us so far back, if he continues this backwards momentum we're in real trouble next year. We've played two fourth division teams this week and if I'm being really generous we might just be on a par with them.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Micky Saddler wrote:lets be honest, this squad just isn't as special as last, we shouldn't have even considered mid table let alone play offs at the start of the season.

Look at the contract situations and we're unlikely to be adding much attacking quality in the summer. Jackson, Makris and Bakayoko are all tied down, with the former two representing big investments by our standards. Unless Makris and Baka can improve significantly, we're in for more of the same. What's more, I'd be surprised if Ozzy delivers the same goal return, as he's far exceeded expectations on that front.

We need to replace Moussa with some genuine quality and hope whatever it is that the club saw in Makris starts to come to the fore, otherwise I think we're in for another season of just about scraping more than a goal a game average.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Fortunately we still have the 50% of the RICO money (750k) to use along with some still left from the Bradshaw fee.- if you still believe the club pledge on transfers that is.
Still not quite sure what happens to the other 50% but hey.

After today's performance I would say we need at least 4/5 decent signings for next season if we are to avoid a relegation battle.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Same team Same poor performance this showing was an insult to the fans who had nothing to support.

samsara_wfc

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Whitney isn't a manager. Well, he is. Just not a very good one.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 pm

If Jason McCarthy and Isiah Osbourne think they are championship quality they are deluded.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:26 pm

m&m wrote:If Jason McCarthy and Isiah Osbourne think they are championship quality they are deluded.

I hope both were being scouted today.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season