Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) Apr 22nd, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Coventry City (A) Apr 22nd, 3pm

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:48 am

This will probably be the last "M6 derby" game for a while, unless the Blues fail to respond to Harry Redknapp's style of management - so we travel to the Ricoh stadium, which could well entertain the likes of Dover Athletic or Forest Green Rovers next season. We won't have the privilege of relegating the Sky Blues as they've already gone and this has evidently taken the pressure off Mark Robins' squad, or he has been successful in motivating a team which didn't respond to any of their previous managers in what has been an awful season for them. The damage was done right from the start - August 6th saw the season's opening fixture but City didn't win a League One game until the beginning of October, by which time they were already adrift at the bottom of the table. However, ten points gained from their last six games isn't far short of promotion form, and we can't expect them to roll over on Saturday. Current form:

21 Mar Port Vale (H) Won 2-1
25 Mar Bristol Rovers (H) Won 1-0
5 Apr Sheffield United (A) Lost 2-0
8 Apr Peterborough United (H) Won 1-0
14 Apr Charlton Athletic (H) Drew 1-1
17 Apr Rochdale (A) Lost 2-0

In the middle of that lot it should be remembered that City brought silverware (of a kind) home when beating Oxford United in the EFL Trophy final at Wembley.

So where will Jon Whitney's priorities lie for this one? He is on record as saying that young fringe players are not going to be fielded just for the sake of it, so even though we now have an Irish u-18 international full-back it's unlikely he will get a look-in (watch JW prove me wrong on that one!). The goalkeeping situation looks to be more settled, with Craig MacGillivray's clean sheet against Swindon Town a welcome sign. That game also marked the complete absence of Franck Moussa, who only a month before had scored twice for us at Southend - so he's either too injured to even make the bench or is busy chasing other clubs for employment. So it will probably be Bakayoko and Makris up front, with Oztumer (who scored against Coventry City in the reverse fixture back in October) in the supply (and score) function.

Prediction? Tricky, as always, but this time only for the reason that this game is definitely a "dead rubber". Who can tell which players are likely to be not merely on the beach but looking at brochures for future vacations .... let's go for a 0-2 away win, with Makris doubling his season's tally and Edwards also netting with another elegant shot from his "dodgy" left foot. :mrgreen:

UTS :D

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Re: Coventry City (A) Apr 22nd, 3pm

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Not going to be the walkover many fans thought it might be as Welsh says the pressure is off Coventry now.
I,ll be there hoping to see us get our first away win of 2017 in another scrappy game.

coop63
Glitterati

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Tough call I reckon as they wil want to close their miserable season off on a high note

Also, never underestimate a certain Mr Robins - he has a nasty habit of strangely motivating players when he needs to (their silverware was somewhat unexpected given their shockingly bad season, even if, in the main, it was nothing to with him!!)

I'll go for a 1-2 for us with Morris and Ozzie on fire!! UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Massively looking forward to this one, probably the away I've been most waiting for since August.

Should get around 1k for this surely? I know it's meaningless but come on now 90 minutes to take the mick out of Coventry (if they sort themselves out off the pitch they'll probably be straight back up and be challenging for promotion out of league 1 in 2-3 years so make the most of it.)

"You can stick your check-a-trade trophy up your......indeed." :D

1-2. Ozzy and Morris actually hitting the corner with one of his long range missiles.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 pm

All of a sudden I am now available tomorrow.
So, is it possible to pay on the day?
And where the hell do you park around there?
Thanks

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 pm

leics_saddler wrote:All of a sudden I am now available tomorrow.
So, is it possible to pay on the day?
And where the hell do you park around there?
Thanks

According to Coventry's official website: "Buy on the Day..... Match day ticket office at The Ricoh Arena (open from 11am until kick-off) in the main Atrium. Cash turnstiles 24-27 in the East Stand will be open from 1.30pm."

(Further down) "Walsall fans will be able to buy at cash turnstiles in the South Stand from 1.30pm, with no matchday price increase"

Parking - no idea, sorry!!!

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks Welsh.
This seems to be a mine of information with links to parking venues:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/ricoh-arena-coventry-city.html

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Of course, a prediction - I almost forgot.
I'm going to keep persisting with the 2-2 scoreline and grand entertainment until I get it.
Our goals by Makris and Keiron Morris to finally shoot wide of the keeper.
Their goals by Greg Downs and Dusty Hare with a field goal (or something)

Walsall to cause a sensation by drawing with top flight opponents at a neutral ground.
Coventry to be invited for Ken Mower's testimonial and parade the Cubicle One Cup before the game.
Next year they'll thrash Sutton United 8-0 in 3rd Round.
I'll put £5 on it!

bigste

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Looks like some Cov fans want to get the game abandoned. Mass protest on the pitch? Similar to Blackpool v ? a few years back. Hope this is not the case and worst case is a few hundred plastic pigs are hurled onto the pitch.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 pm

bigste wrote:Looks like some Cov fans want to get the game abandoned. Mass protest on the pitch? Similar to Blackpool v ? a few years back. Hope this is not the case and worst case is a few hundred plastic pigs are hurled onto the pitch.

That's no way to speak of the Warwickshire Constabulary.......... :D

PT
Site Addict

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:12 pm

Never been to a game that was abandoned before. Had a few close calls with the weather, remember a few pea soupers at Fellows Park where no bugger could see but don't recall any A-A's.

The closest to tomorrow's goings on was a game at Fulham during the Coakley era. Think Craven Cottage was on the verge of being sold and it looked like they were close to dying. It was in the middle of our three game run in the FA Cup with Watford. Following the 4-4 draw at Watford, tickets were at a premium so to ensure our loyalist fans could get hold of them, they opened a ticket booth on the away terrace at Fulham. I queued with Paul Jones and Kenny Mower whilst it seemed half of West London was on the pitch protesting.

We were very sympathetic with Fulham's plight that day as the circumstances were similar to those that inspired SWAG only a year or two before. We applauded their protests, swapped scalves and the general fellowship led to us having a bond with them for a few years.

I don't think it will be like that tomorrow. I'm still bitter about them plundering the Dicky Dosh class of 2006-2008 with money that they obviously didn't have. And I don't get the story that says SISU have strangled football spending when in recently published data they spent the fifth most on agents fees in our league.

So it could be an interesting day. Bring it on.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:45 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
bigste wrote:Looks like some Cov fans want to get the game abandoned. Mass protest on the pitch? Similar to Blackpool v ? a few years back. Hope this is not the case and worst case is a few hundred plastic pigs are hurled onto the pitch.

That's no way to speak of the Warwickshire Constabulary.......... :D

V good Welsh :lol:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:57 am

Looking at some of the Cov forums there appears to be a high probability of attempts to get the game abandoned purely to raise their plight again in the national press...

The only thing seemingly bothering them is a potential points deduction next season but that's debateable knowing the FA..

I'm going to the game but can see it being disrupted at the least - plastic pigs could be the least of their problems

Maybe we could claim an extra 3 points for inconvenience if it's abandoned and we might catch Oxford in the table! :D

Just to add this comment from one their posts on their main forum:

That little fella is going to run riot if he plays :(

:mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Starting line-up against Coventry City:

MacGillivray

O'Connor
Preston
O'Connell
McCarthy

Osbourne
Chambers
Morris
Edwards

Bakayoko
Makris

Substitutes: Dobson, Jackson, Oztumer, Roberts, Hayles-Docherty, Candlin, Ganley.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Same team as last week....one change on the bench Roberts for Laird.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Annoyed about this one as i thought i'd be off but due to an operational emergency i've been called in.

I have still to visit the Ricoh and remember fondly a couple of Cup trips to the Old ground at Highfield Road. Oh well maybe one day..............

With one eye alraedy looking tonext season i think this could be one for the future Saddlers stars to shine in. By the talk of the tabloids we will once again see a mass exodus of everyone decent (Etheridge etc.) so it's time to blood some youngsters for me.

I'd like to see Makris given a full 90 again and Baka needs to prove he's worth all the effort , Chambers can't have many yaers left in him , so a time to look to the future me thinks.

Nice hot day and about 1100 Saddlers watching a 2-1 win for the Reds (O.G and Makris with his second of the seaso

Keep the faith

Obi :-)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Early goals: (2 min)

Bury 1 Northampton Town 0

Millwall 0 Oxford United 1 ... Edit that one, it's now 0-2 (8 min)

Swindon Town 0 Scunthorpe Utd 1 (5 min)

Peterborough Utd 2 Bristol Rovers 0 (30 min)

Oldham Athletic 0 Rochdale 1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Bradford City 1 A F C Wimbledon 0

Chesterfield 0 Charlton Athletic 1 (36 min)

Gillingham 1 Fleetwood Town 0 (38 min)

In League 2, Orient are 1-0 down at Crewe - if it stays that way Orient are relegated.......

Back at the Ricoh, Coventry City have their 4th corner kick (39 min) - we ain't had one yet!

Port Vale down to 10 men at home to Bolton Wanderers.......

..... and Coventry City take the lead on 39 min - Coventry City 1 Walsall 0 :( :( :(

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Horror of horrors, but it was coming...................................... :evil:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:48 pm

There's a good case to be made for bring on Ozzy for the 2nd half.

Half-time and it's 1-0 - but spare a thought for Leyton Orient, who are currently 3-0 down at Crewe (half-time). Pretty safe to say they've gone.......

(Highly revealing statistics from the first half of that game at Gresty Road ... Orient are supposedly fighting for their very survival, and the "shots" are Crewe 11, Orient 0 ... "On target" Crewe 5, Orient 0, and "corners" Crewe 3, Orient 0.)

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Not able to make todays game due to being at work :evil:

However sounds like a good end of the deal. Rumour is we are playing absolute Tom.

Can anyone confirm?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Micky Saddler wrote:Not able to make todays game due to being at work :evil:

However sounds like a good end of the deal. Rumour is we are playing absolute Tom.

Can anyone confirm?

I'm not there, but we've had 3 shots in the 1st half (2 on target - Bakayoko and O'Connell), but Coventry have had stacks more possession that we have.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Swindon Town have to win today to stand any chance of staying in League One. At half-time they're 0-1 down at home to Scunthorpe Utd......

Walsall double substitution to start the 2nd half....... Oztumer for Makris, and Dobson for Osbourne.

Fleetwood have equalised at Gillingham to make it 1-1

M K Dongs 0 Sheffield Utd 1

Sloppies 1 Southend Utd 0 (63 min)

Gillingham 2 Fleetwood Town 2

Posh 4 Bristol Rovers 0

Oldham Athletic 1 Rochdale 1

Walsall yellow card, 53 minutes ....... O'Connell

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:30 pm

10-man Port Vale (our next opponents) are losing 0-1 at home to Bolton Wanderers.....

Walsall 3rd substitution on 67 minutes (Candlin on for Kieron Morris) ....... followed by what looks like a Walsall red card....... :( (O'Connell, 2nd yellow)

Sam Mantom scores Scunthorpe's 2nd goal at Swindon Town. Jamie Paterson scores Bristol City's equaliser against Barnsley, 2-2 at the moment.

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:39 pm

From the stats, it looked like we were getting back into it. Then O'Connell sees double yellow.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Listening to the commentary as I couldn't make it today and according to them we have looked no better after the substitutions.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Swindon Town showing a bit of spirit ... now 1-2 at home to Scunny (but still not enough to stay up)

Chesterfield the same ... now 1-2 at home to Charlton Athletic (but still gone)

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:51 pm

chriss5471 wrote:Listening to the commentary as I couldn't make it today and according to them we have looked no better after the substitutions.

Glad I'm back in HK then.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:53 pm

We have an 89th minute corner - get up there, Matt Preston!!! ..... nah ... "shot blocked" :(

Port Vale 0 Bolton Wanderers 2 (90 min)

At the Ricoh, it's 1-0 at full time ... but still it's bye-bye Coventry City!!

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:57 pm

bigste wrote:Hope this is not the case and worst case is a few hundred plastic pigs are hurled onto the pitch.

How do you throw a Robin Reliant ?

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season