Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (A) Friday 14 Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Shrewsbury Town (A) Friday 14 Apr, 3pm

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:44 am

With only 5 games remaining for us this season we travel to play the Sloppies, and while we are pretty certain to maintain our League One status it's still very much in the balance as to Shrewsbury Town's fate. They are currently only one point above the relegation line, and if you assume that Coventry City and Chesterfield are both going down (as they will do if they don't win their next game) there are still two "drop" places to be filled, and a mere 3 points separates Bury, Shrewsbury Town, Gillingham, Port Vale, and Swindon Town. We won the reverse fixture 3-2 when we played Town at home back in October, with Olly Lancashire scoring one of their goals, but we may not see him on Friday as he hasn't figured in their line-ups recently. Another ex-Saddler who should be in our sights is Mat Sadler, who is a regular selection in their defence. It's almost five years since Mat left Walsall to join Crawley Town, and it's interesting to note that the main reason he gave for the move (having turned down a 2-year contract) was "Sean O'Driscoll's winning mentality" - make of that what you will !!!

A little over a month ago Shrewsbury looked set for a mid-table finish - they were in 16th place in the table, 5 points clear of the drop zone but recent form has been unimpressive, and they only partially redeemed themselves by winning against Rochdale in their most recent match. Current form:

11 Mar Chesterfield (A) Drew 1-1
17 Mar Port Vale (A) Lost 2-1
25 Mar Bolton Wanderers (H) Lost 0-2
1 Apr Bristol Rovers (A) Lost 2-0
4 Apr Millwall (H) Lost 1-2
8 Apr Rochdale (H) Won 1-0

Andreas Makris opened his Walsall scoring account last Saturday, and Jon Whitney will no doubt give him more game time for this fixture than he enjoyed against the Sloppies back in October when he came on as a 92nd minute substitute. As the remaining time for contract negotiations gets shorter and the doubts increase about Neil Etheridge's plans, perhaps it is time to evaluate Craig MacGillivray in the real world of a first XI game rather than the training ground - after all, his appearance might even see someone more able to come and claim crosses........ be that as it may, JW may well want to see how some of our fringe players handle what could be a tricky match. Traditionally it's assumed that we will come away from Shrewsbury with at least a share in the spoils but at the moment they are playing for their League One survival, which should add an extra bite to their playing attitude.

Are we on the beach already, I wonder? Nah.......but a feisty encounter is predicted, with a 1-1 draw the result (Kieron Morris to score).

There will be no appearance from Fred Davies, who sadly passed away some years ago. For those younger readers to whom that name is meaningless I should add that at Shrewsbury Town's previous ground (Gay Meadow) on the banks of the river Severn it was fairly common for footballs to end up in the river, and Fred, a local coracle maker, would position himself strategically in his coracle to retrieve stray footballs to prevent their ending up in the Bristol Channel.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: Shrewsbury Town (A) Friday 14 Apr, 3pm

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:38 am

Tough battle , I just hope its a cracking game if the sloppies get the 3 points that's ok.The bigger picture is to see them next season to guarantee us 6 points.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:57 am

Normally I'd say "Seasons over, he has to give MacGillivray and a few others a chance for next season" ... but this is Shrewsbury Town away. Best team forward please.

1-2 with Makris winner.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:32 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:There will be no appearance from Fred Davies, who sadly passed away some years ago.

Welshie, always first with the breaking news :mrgreen:

giglee

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Should win this one. Our last few poor results could be justified by playing against strong opposition, but that excuse can't be used for this one.

2-1 scrappy win, with Makris and McCarthy to score.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:10 pm

tinned wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:There will be no appearance from Fred Davies, who sadly passed away some years ago.

I wrote it (partly) because I wondered how many of our younger element would know (without looking it up) what a coracle was!! :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Think the dominant home and away wins v Sloppies will come to an end here.

1-1.

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Last seasons game here was a good night and from what I recall was the first game that the temp management team took charge for.. the joyous Saddlers joining JW in a big round of applause at the final whistle..

With league one security under threat it'll be interesting to see how the Sloppies approach the game - could get physical I reckon..

I'll go for a scrapping 2-2 with Makris and Morris on target for us :D

UTS

vorny

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Will unfortunately be missing this game as I am going away to Wales on Friday morning, which is a shame since I haven't missed this fixture in the recent years and always look forward to it.

One of my friend's dad is the club doctor and said friend will be there so I will go for a 3-1 win in spectacular style with Makris, Bakayako and Morris scoring just so I can remind him how bad the club is he supports :mrgreen: Going to be a touch match, as they need a win and will be up to fight for it :!:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

I wrote it (partly) because I wondered how many of our younger element would know (without looking it up) what a coracle was!! :D

A bad piece of marine architecture, according to Prince Charles? 'Here's Fred Davies in his monstrous coracle.'

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:12 pm

Exile wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

A bad piece of marine architecture, according to Prince Charles? 'Here's Fred Davies in his monstrous coracle.'

BOOOOOOOOOO !!! :lol:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:13 am

A rare defeat for this one against the Slopsters - they need it more than us!

So a 2-1 loss, in front of around 6,000, including 900 of us.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

samsara_wfc

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:54 am

2-2 with a brace from Makris

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:15 am

Exile wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

[img]

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:29 pm

A small dog to invade the pitch until John Gayle appears and gnaws its head off.
Sloppers get intimidated and lose by a single goal.
Their only consolation is Dean Spink's lovely hair.

WM to remain confused as to how they have the result of Saturday's match before it's been played.
Walsall fans suddenly show an interest in the phone-in and all win free tickets to Dingles v Glossop NE.

stourportsaddler

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Anyone know if you can buy tickets at the sloppies ground tomorrow?

Gripper
Glitterati

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:19 pm

stourportsaddler wrote:Anyone know if you can buy tickets at the sloppies ground tomorrow?

All ticket mate.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Gripper wrote:
stourportsaddler wrote:Anyone know if you can buy tickets at the sloppies ground tomorrow?

All ticket mate.

According to Bascot Benter - err, sorry, Bescot Banter ... our allocation is 1,507 tickets and we have sold 1,100 already. There will be no tickets available on the day apparently, if that answers your question. :?

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:35 am

We made an early start to the match and just as well. Very heavy traffic due to accident on A5. Make due allowances chaps.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:46 am

Got a ticket for this and was looking forward to it, however because of a groin strain that I got just last night, I now can't even lift my leg higher than an inch without being in pain.

No standard Shrewsbury away win for me this year then :cry: :evil:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:37 pm

MacGillivray gets the nod!!!!!! Starting line-up against the Sloppies.......

MacGillivray

Preston
O'Connor
O'Connell
McCarthy

Osbourne
Chambers
Morris
Edwards

Bakayoko
Makris

Substitutes: Laird, Dobson, Cuvelier, Jackson, Candlin, Ganley, Moussa

Has Etheridge packed his bags, I wonder? :?

UTS Legend

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:42 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Got a ticket for this and was looking forward to it, however because of a groin strain that I got just last night, I now can't even lift my leg higher than an inch without being in pain.

Bad luck. I'll post a video for you later. (If I can get my Kodak Brownie to work.)

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:MacGillivray gets the nod!!!!!! Starting line-up against the Sloppies.......

MacGillivray

Preston
O'Connor
O'Connell
McCarthy

Osbourne
Chambers
Morris
Edwards

Bakayoko
Makris

Substitutes: Laird, Dobson, Cuvelier, Jackson, Candlin, Ganley, Moussa

Has Etheridge packed his bags, I wonder? :?

He probably packed them in December, but the reason for today's omission is injury.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Looks like 3-5-2 as a formation to me. Given that Etheridge is sure to be off in the summer (if its really for the championship, I'd question the due diligence of the scout involved), I approve of McG being given a run of games.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:02 pm

leics_saddler wrote:WM to remain confused as to how they have the result of Saturday's match before it's been played.

They still won't have the match report on until 5:20 on Saturday though...

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Didn't Etheridge injure his hand at the open training session earlier this week. Sure I read that on twerp.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Very early goal ... Port Vale 0 Sheffield United 1 (2 min)

Chesterfield 0 Southend United 1 (14 min)

Peterborough Utd 0 Fleetwood Town 1 (20 min)

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Guest wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Got a ticket for this and was looking forward to it, however because of a groin strain that I got just last night, I now can't even lift my leg higher than an inch without being in pain.

Bad luck. I'll post a video for you later. (If I can get my Kodak Brownie to work.)

Thanks, much appreciated :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Millwall 1 Northampton Town 0 (26 min)

M K Dons 0 Scunthorpe Utd 1 (29 min)

Port Vale 0 Sheffield Utd 2 now

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Sloppies 0 Super Saddlers 1 !!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D ... Kieron Morris, assist by Joe Edwards

Millwall 2 Northampton Town 0 now

Coventry City 1 Charlton Athletic 0 (28 min - delayed start there)

Peterborough Utd 0 Fleetwood Town 2

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season