Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (A) 1st April, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Bradford City (A) 1st April, 3pm

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:27 pm

It's important the season doesn't tail off now.

Today was a point at best type of game....last 6 are Oxford, Sloppies, Swindon, Vale, Coventry and Franchise.

All mid table or battling relegation.

Should be another 10 points there which would mean probably around 10th in the team.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Thought we played alright today. Not great, but certainly weren't much worse than Bradford.

No one really had a bad game. Etheridge had a few dodgy kicks and dropped a cross that O'Connor blocked on the line in the first half, other than that everyone else was okay. Our defence were backing off too much for their goal, but neither side had many clear chances, and I don't remember Etheridge having another save to make.

Makris played quite well in my opinion. There weren't many decent chances in the game, but he did have a spectacular effort in the first half, and looked good on the ball, especially first half. I think his booking was harsh, I thought he was fouled, but even if he did dive it was less dramatic than a few from the Bradford players, which the referee bought. Moussa was quite quiet, but looked okay on the odd occasion.

Man of the match for me would have been Morris. He got stuck in and most of our good play going forward went through him. Osbourne a close contender too.

Point would have been fair as neither side really dominated.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Season needs to end

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:00 pm

chunkster wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:That`s all folks. sadly 1-0 loss, but better than expected.
It is a sad indictment of our club if all we were expecting was a hammering, and only losing by the odd goal is seen as an achievement :(

Not really, just most Saddlers are realistic! Shame we didn't get a point, but surprised it was only one goal.

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:01 pm

scott_powell wrote:Season needs to end

Not yet. I'm coming over for the next three games...

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:59 pm

The goal on Channel 5
(and an effort from Makris)

https://youtu.be/pq57RzBbgOs

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:37 am

Guest wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Season needs to end

Not yet. I'm coming over for the next three games...

:lol:

Based on the brief highlights, they were lucky!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:04 am

One thing that was impressive there ... a season ticket for next year for £149 !

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:02 am

hullsaddler wrote:One thing that was impressive there ... a season ticket for next year for £149 !

And, with gates like 17K on a fortnightly basis, they can afford to recruit players capable of scoring.........regularly.
It would take a whole month (or more) to get as many seats on bums back at the Bescot.
Hope they do go up via the play off's, that would get rid of at least one certain defeat per season!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:14 am

Bradford have been doing that for years haven't they?

Impressive as even at normal prices they'd be getting 10k + crowds.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:38 am

Disappointed, obviously but still think a mid-table finish is OK for this season. All being well, if the youngsters come on, Makris fulfills his promise, we keep the old stalwarts like Osbourne and all the flying pigs get to take off, we'll have a shot at the play-offs again next season. I wouldn't mind a cup run, though: say like Lincoln City this season :mrgreen: (who we'll be playing in a year or two, no doubt, one way or another. :lol: ). Must say it's sobering to have a list (see earlier post) of all the teams that got promo from L1 and subsequently crashed and, in many cases, burned. I note, too, that half the National League teams used to be EFL teams. Makes you think. Also, it looks like we might well be losing Torquay, York and Southport into the sink hole of the leagues that DON'T feature on the telly....Shudder! :shock:
UTS!!
:D

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Makris did well and caused problems - so did Morris who had a decent game. However - I never want to back there again.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:05 pm

My God does Etheridge command his area at all? I genuinely believe he is at fault for a lot of our issues at set pieces. I'm never confident when he comes to claim a cross, that's when he actually bothers to leave his line, and the amount of scrappy goals we concede from 5-10 yards seems ridiculous will complete confusion reigning. Organisation is a massive part of keeping, you barely hear him in games.

As good a shot stopper as he is I genuinely have zero concerns about him leaving.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 pm

El_Nombre wrote:My God does Etheridge command his area at all? I genuinely believe he is at fault for a lot of our issues at set pieces. I'm never confident when he comes to claim a cross, that's when he actually bothers to leave his line, and the amount of scrappy goals we concede from 5-10 yards seems ridiculous will complete confusion reigning. Organisation is a massive part of keeping, you barely hear him in games.

As good a shot stopper as he is I genuinely have zero concerns about him leaving.

And yet, to listen to some on here he's a cert for a move to a Championship club in the summer, and we'll be lost without him

Really?

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:38 am

Wragbyred wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:My God does Etheridge command his area at all? I genuinely believe he is at fault for a lot of our issues at set pieces. I'm never confident when he comes to claim a cross, that's when he actually bothers to leave his line, and the amount of scrappy goals we concede from 5-10 yards seems ridiculous will complete confusion reigning. Organisation is a massive part of keeping, you barely hear him in games.

And yet, to listen to some on here he's a cert for a move to a Championship club in the summer, and we'll be lost without him

Really?

He certainly made a right hash of the cross that ended up with O'Connor saving his bacon.

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season