Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (A) 1st April, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Bradford City (A) 1st April, 3pm

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:41 pm

No fooling, this is a genuine fixture as we travel to the home of the Bantams to see if there are any lingering hopes of that elusive play-off place this season. It is unusual at this time of the year to encounter opposition with an "unbeaten" tag, but Bradford City's home League One record is just that, although they've had an awful lot of drawn games as part of the mixture. Having played at home 20 times, they have only won 8, drawing the other 12 - having said that, one of the home wins was 4-0 against Rochdale so we can't expect an easy time of it! Bradford's League One position is currently 5th, on 66 points, and while that is only 13 points ahead of ourselves and we do have a game in hand, it's stretching things a bit to call it a real "six-pointer". City's current League One form:

28 Feb M K Dons (H) Drew 2-2
4 Mar Peterborough United (H) Won 1-0
11 Mar Coventry City (A) Won 0-2
14 Mar Charlton Athletic (A) Drew 1-1
18 Mar Swindon Town (H) Won 2-1
26 Mar Scunthorpe United (A) Lost 3-2

Manager Stuart McCall is in his third spell as Bradford City manager if you count the original player/manager position, and he will probably bring at least one familiar face to the pitch to haunt us - Jordy Hiwula (on loan from Huddersfield Town), who got their goal in the reverse fixture back in December. Another common factor between the two clubs is that Chris "Dog face" Hutchings has been sacked by both. Over the past few years while we have been almost permanently occupying a spot in the third tier, City have been all over the place, scaling the dizzy heights of the Premiership right down to League 2, reaching the League Cup final (still the only club to do it from the fourth tier) and thumping massive sides like Aston Villa and minnows like Chelsea in cup competitions.

Midweek games this week have resulted in our being pushed downwards into the bottom half of the League One table, and with automatic promotion now being a mathematical impossibility even the die-hard optimists will be settling for "the same again" next season. Is Jon Whitney a member of that happy band, or is he still wanting to seriously push for a seemingly impossible dream? We shall be able to gauge his thoughts from his team selection although he will have to accommodate the injury situation, as even with the couple of weeks' break Florent Cuvelier won't be available, and there have been concerns when other players have limped off during games. It may well be that JW decides to "blood" some of the fringe members, and he also has to weigh up the "contract expiry" syndrome ... certain players have resisted attempts to get them to re-sign in the hope that the grass on the other side may be greener, and it could well be the time to see what strength lies in our reserves in a real-match scenario.

Prediction? I can't see us getting much out of this one, even bearing in mind Bradford City's habit of drawing their home games ... well, if I must, I'll go for a 1-1 draw to match the Banks's result in December, with Kieron Morris doing the honours.

UTS :D

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Re: Bradford City (A) 1st April, 3pm

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:51 pm

they might also field a certain Kevin Toner, who scored for them on his debut against Scunthorpe the other day :shock: :shock:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Bradford 3-0 Walsall

Prof Stephen Hawking attends the game as special guest and spends of most of the game playing Tetris.
Jon Whitney to say he wants a 'special relationship' with the play-offs even if we never get there.
Prof Hawking to conclude that Toner marking Makris is proof of the Higgs boson, eventhough they are completely theoretical.
He goes on to say that Jon Whitney's gravitational pull towards the play-offs is also theoretical.
However, he qualifies this as it is only in terms of the universal model as we understand it to date and teams above us have to play each other.
He issues a challenge to Coventry City FC to play Tetris and beats them.
They want to rematch on Super Mario Kart, so he accuses them of taking the piss and storms off to watch Wasps.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Another common factor between the two clubs is that Chris "Dog face" Hutchings has been sacked by both.

Great preview as usual Welsh "Old Retired Senile Fat B'stard" saddler.

Just joking.....

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:36 am

Our last trip there should have been rated 18, contains graphic bullying and upsetting scenes. What James Hanson did to Paul Downing that day can't be unseen or deleted from memory. Add to that the greyness of the town and awful pubs nearby, a really sorry afternoon properly emphasising the main weakness of our strategy we've adopted these last few years.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief when Hanson was sold in January, but then Bradford replaced him with a hungrier version in Charlie Wyke. Just watched his two goals in their turnaround win over Swindon last time out at Valley Parade. Marshall (another player who's often given us trouble even during his season at Port Fail) really making both opportunities.

Unbeaten at home. And I don't think that will change on Saturday. Glad I'm excused this year as I've a wedding to ruin.

A two goal margin loss.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10807213/bradford-2-1-swindon

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:41 am

Prepare for a thumping.

6-1 Bradford

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:54 pm

Bradford are unbeaten at home well placed in playoffs and have the players to turn us over again all the ingrediants for an upset. I think (hope) we will get a sneaky win or at least a draw.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:59 pm

A really lucky 1-0 win with............................

Makris scoring :D

Gripper
Glitterati

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:01 pm

No idea what to expect - first visit to Valley Parade.

Would love something other than a loss, following us away this season has been an absolute chore. The days have been great barring the midst of a 3 hour interlude between say 2:30 and 5:30.

Oh - anyone know where to park? Broadway shopping centre is where I've read about on their forum? Looks literally nothing around the ground and Broadway is only £1.50.

coop63
Glitterati

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:47 pm

Cheers for another excellent preview Welsh..

After last seasons poor show we can probably and predictably expect more of the same - my usual optimistic outlook is eluding me and I'm going for a 3-1 home win I'm afraid! :?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:55 pm

Gripper wrote:No idea what to expect - first visit to Valley Parade.

Would love something other than a loss, following us away this season has been an absolute chore. The days have been great barring the midst of a 3 hour interlude between say 2:30 and 5:30.

Oh - anyone know where to park? Broadway shopping centre is where I've read about on their forum? Looks literally nothing around the ground and Broadway is only £1.50.

There's a retail park by the train station (Forster Square) but City centre is only a 10 minute walk from the ground.

Think this will be a narrow 2-1 defeat, at least one set piece goal conceded as per usual against this type of opposition.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:25 pm

I see absolutely nothing from this one, so a 2-0 defeat.

However, if we defend well we might just get a 0-0.

*hedging bets*

185 Saddlers feeling somewhat outnumbered by 18,000 cheap-ticketed Bantams.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:16 pm

A mossiv thumping looms, with all goals conceded by set pieces

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 am

Bradford will win 7-0, from the seven corners we concede.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:18 am

Exile wrote:Bradford will win 7-0, from the seven corners we concede.

A bit overly optimistic there Exile, where are we going to get nil from?

Instructions for those brave enough to make the tedious journey to Valley Parade (or whatever they are forced to call it currently).............................

Remember, before the actual match, drink copious amounts of that nasty alcohol stuff, it tends to dull the horror as Etheridge fumbles the 6th or 7th goal over the line.

Don't go to the Cock & Bottle, and don't ask for that clear venomous cider from 'out the back'! people will stare if you float to the ground! :lol:

Remember the entire white populous of Bratfut will be at the ground, respect their continuous attempts at independence.
However, should you come across the drummer, politely request that he hands over the said implement, fit spikes to the outside and insert it somewhere painful!

Enjoy the delights of the views over the black satanic mills, now churning out toilet rolls and beds, as you wend your weary way back to the coach/car/train. remember, we are safe for another year in mid table mediocrity, next year? More of the same without doubt, cus weem Worsul aye we. :mrgreen: :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:44 am

Draw all day long.

1-1

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:21 am

I predicted a win on the UTS prediction league.............................operation certain defeat :(

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:58 am

Anyone fancy a Makris hat-trick??

4-3 Bradford!

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:49 am

1-1 with Edwards scoring.

Nice short trip from Leeds for me.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:01 am

cumbria-saddler wrote:1-1 with Edwards scoring.

Where you living in Leeds? We have just come back to Lancashire from the dark side, spent years in Churwell, Morley and West Ardsley prior to an unfortunate spell in Dewsbury!

Very short trip indeed for you, I always found it easy to park on the Keighley ring round just behind the ground, near to Galvanisers. In 30 years of living there, I can only remember us beating them at Valley Parade once, 1-0 I think it was. (when men wore hats and suits! :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:54 am

Cully wrote:I predicted a win on the UTS prediction league.............................operation certain defeat :(

#kissofdeath :mrgreen:

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:00 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Where you living in Leeds? We have just come back to Lancashire from the dark side, spent years in Churwell, Morley and West Ardsley prior to an unfortunate spell in Dewsbury!

Very short trip indeed for you, I always found it easy to park on the Keighley ring round just behind the ground, near to Galvanisers. In 30 years of living there, I can only remember us beating them at Valley Parade once, 1-0 I think it was. (when men wore hats and suits! :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

The west of the Pennines is far better, although Cumbria trumps Lancashire :mrgreen:
I'm fairly central, not too far from the Armouries. Won't have to leave until around 1.15, only 20 minutes on the train so can be home before 6.

Despite the score, I was well impressed with the ground last year, proper ground that isn't in an industrial/retail park out of the town.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:18 am

cumbria-saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

The west of the Pennines is far better, although Cumbria trumps Lancashire :mrgreen:
I'm fairly central, not too far from the Armouries. Won't have to leave until around 1.15, only 20 minutes on the train so can be home before 6.

Despite the score, I was well impressed with the ground last year, proper ground that isn't in an industrial/retail park out of the town.

That's less time than many will take getting off Bescot car Park after a match! :lol:
Know the Armouries area quite well, I worked for a Company close to Crown Point for many years.
Bet yow'm in one of those barclays new flats aye ya!

Before the fire and subsequent development Valley Parade was an old fashioned dump that made Fellows Park look 'up market'. They still need to improve the away end, but it's a bit land-locked without much scope, though I'm always impressed by the gates they get, always large and very intimidating when you are losing...which is normal for us!

Their management have used a fascinatingly amazing (as mentioned by someone above) system of recruiting players that can score goals! Now wouldn't THAT be a great idea? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:19 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

That's less time than many will take getting off Bescot car Park after a match! :lol:
Know the Armouries area quite well, I worked for a Company close to Crown Point for many years.
Bet yow'm in one of those posh new flats aye ya!

Before the fire and subsequent development Valley Parade was an old fashioned dump that made Fellows Park look 'up market'. They still need to improve the away end, but it's a bit land-locked without much scope, though I'm always impressed by the gates they get, always large and very intimidating when you are losing...which is normal for us!

Their management have used a fascinatingly amazing (as mentioned by someone above) system of recruiting players that can score goals! Now wouldn't THAT be a great idea? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Morris in for Dobson,Moussa for Oztumer from the starting eleven at Southend. Two youth teamers on the bench...Mitch Candlin .and Tobias Hayles-Docherty. I haven't seen them play but both are attacking players...perhaps they are going to get contracts for next season.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Elsewhere...... a very early goal at The Den sees Millwall 1 Scunthorpe Utd 0

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:06 pm

1Etheridge
4O'Connor
16Preston
3Laird
5McCarthy
14Osbourne
7Chambers
2Edwards
44Moussa
11Morris
33Makris

Substitutes

6Dobson
9Jackson
13MacGillivray
15Kinsella
24Roberts
35Hayles-Docherty
36Candlin

Full Walsall line up.

With 14,204 season ticket holders there should be a great Bradford following. Odds are against a result here to day but you never know with Walsall. So fingers crossed. C`mon lads.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:08 pm

M K Dons 2 Gillingham 0

Millwall's goal to take the lead over Scunthorpe was a 2nd minute penalty

Bradford City yellow card, 11 min

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:M K Dons 1 Gillingham 0