Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (A) 18th Mar, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
PT
Site Addict

Re: Southend United (A) 18th Mar, 3pm

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 pm

coop63 wrote:
WalsallMem wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Bottlers the lot of them.

Whitney can fudge off. Back to the form before Christmas now. Sort it out.

:lol: :roll:

Ridiculous comment - overall JW has turned our season around in the last 3 months.. once he got his best team selection sorted, we have been hard to beat...

We know we have areas of weakness but overall, we are not good enough to get promoted this season!

We haven't won away during those three months of improvement which shows just how bad we were before then.

I agree about the areas of weakness. The main one is the manager. Love the man, but he's not up to it. Very similar to Jimmy Mullen who was the beneficiary of Money's financial legacy which enabled a poor manager to attain mid-table. Whitney the same post Smith.

Really want Whitney to stay at the club. Just not in this job.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:22 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
coop63 wrote:
WalsallMem wrote:

Ridiculous comment - overall JW has turned our season around in the last 3 months.. once he got his best team selection sorted, we have been hard to beat...

We know we have areas of weakness but overall, we are not good enough to get promoted this season!

Yes truly ridiculous. Perhaps Scott will hire a plane to tow a "Fudge Off Whitney" banner over the Bezzla at the next home match like those Arsenal knobheads.

Might fly a "fudge off DonningtonSaddler" one

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:26 pm

PT wrote:
coop63 wrote:
WalsallMem wrote:

We haven't won away during those three months of improvement which shows just how bad we were before then.

I agree about the areas of weakness. The main one is the manager. Love the man, but he's not up to it. Very similar to Jimmy Mullen who was the beneficiary of Money's financial legacy which enabled a poor manager to attain mid-table. Whitney the same post Smith.

Really want Whitney to stay at the club. Just not in this job.

I agree. I just can't express what I mean in the same way because I'm pissed off with the result.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Referee 3 Walsall 2

Most one sided, biased referee I've ever seen I think. Appalling. Gave them free kicks for absolutely everything and allowed their players to get away with GBH. Oh well, it's only a game, eh?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Disappointing result for us all.
Disappointing over reaction from some.
Disappointing language from Scotty.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Cully wrote:Disappointing result for us all.
Disappointing over reaction from some.
Disappointing language from Scotty.

My language will always be disappointing unfortunately :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:50 pm

I think that the management and players will be just as hurt and disappointed as we are. At least there was nothing really riding on the result because we had already wrote our top 6 spot off, we can only learn from it, i think that i am right in thinking that we are safe now? and as other posters have said we could be a hell of a lot worse off, i think i would be more upset if this had happened 2 years into JW's reign. But i do think that next season will be a more defining one in his tenure, and fans will be a lot more unforgiving of results like this :|

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:28 pm

Every defeat is a disaster...the manager must go !!! What nonsense this is!!!! Yes today was a bad defeat but you cannot blame the Manager for a team"switching off" at a free kick...the people to blame are the players but remember we are all human and make mistakes.
Our team is in its correct position solidly mid table but we know where we need to strengthen for next season to launch a promotion bid...I for one am looking forward to the summer and see who comes in.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Walsallone wrote:Every defeat is a disaster...the manager must go !!! What nonsense this is!!!! Yes today was a bad defeat but you cannot blame the Manager for a team"switching off" at a free kick...the people to blame are the players but remember we are all human and make mistakes.
Our team is in its correct position solidly mid table but we know where we need to strengthen for next season to launch a promotion bid...I for one am looking forward to the summer and see who comes in.

Only people within the game will know whether our reputation for developing young players has improved this season. This will be crucial given how vital loan signings are at our level these days. In the last few years we've been trusted with young assets from Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, Albion, Villa, Wolves, Celtic, Middlesborough et al. I think there are two reasons for this. Firstly, we grew a reputation for making young players better. Secondly, because as per Jose Mourinho's feedback last year we played a possession based game akin to the style played at the top level.

So in terms of knowing where to strengthen next year, we first need to assess the step backwards we will naturally take when our loanees return and it will be very interesting to see whether, on the back of 16/17, top flight clubs allow us to get back to square one in the quality of loan signings we can take.

It might be that this summer is at least as challenging as last.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:12 pm

PT wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Every defeat is a disaster...the manager must go !!! What nonsense this is!!!! Yes today was a bad defeat but you cannot blame the Manager for a team"switching off" at a free kick...the people to blame are the players but remember we are all human and make mistakes.

Only people within the game will know whether our reputation for developing young players has improved this season. This will be crucial given how vital loan signings are at our level these days. In the last few years we've been trusted with young assets from Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, Albion, Villa, Wolves, Celtic, Middlesborough et al. I think there are two reasons for this. Firstly, we grew a reputation for making young players better. Secondly, because as per Jose Mourinho's feedback last year we played a possession based game akin to the style played at the top level.

So in terms of knowing where to strengthen next year, we first need to assess the step backwards we will naturally take when our loanees return and it will be very interesting to see whether, on the back of 16/17, top flight clubs allow us to get back to square one in the quality of loan signings we can take.

It might be that this summer is at least as challenging as last.
I think that o'connell's mccarthy and dobson's respective clubs will have been pleased with the way they have been bought on this season, villa on the other hand will be pleased that we showed them that they are wasting their time and money :mrgreen:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:20 pm

I hope that's not directed at me. I have stuck up for Whitney the past few losses and have said nothing on here.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:22 pm

See gobshite Powell is on his high horse again.
Scott why don't you fudge off and support the Dingles you fickle fool.
I will now await my name being broadcast all across this site like last time by the stalker Powell.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Refreshingly, JW has stated in his match summary to the E&S that players need to take responsibility for not defending set pieces..

He states (again) we work on them at training sessions and on Monday fingers will be pointed at the players because our inability to defend set pieces is 'killing our season'!!!

Personally I'm delighted he's adopted this approach because we are generally hard to break down in open play and if you get undone by set pieces (as we seem to far too frequently) then you will lose too many games...

I quote: 'I'm not going to stand here and offer excuses for my players'

Well said - I hope they respond positively!! UTS

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 pm

swampysaddler wrote:See gobshite Powell is on his high horse again.
Scott why don't you fudge off and support the Dingles you fickle fool.
I will now await my name being broadcast all across this site like last time by the stalker Powell.

Aye? Bit over the top there don't you think?

I'm annoyed. I'll wake up tomorrow with a totally different outlook. No need for that really is there? Haven't had a problem with you at all in here recently. If anything I quite enjoyed reading your posts, with you even sticking up for me.

Whitney is a physio, not a manager, yet.

I'd like to know what you said on the 2017 Album thread too?

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

So Moussa got 2 - is he worth another contract?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Whitters wrote:So Moussa got 2 - is he worth another contract?
NO it is the only thing he has done all season. and as someone pointed out earlier he has only got 3 months left on his contract, funny he should put in a performance like today :?

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 pm

chunkster wrote:
NO it is the only thing he has done all season. and as someone pointed out earlier he has only got 3 months left on his contract, funny he should put in a performance like today :?

Maybe he's been played in the wrong position.
He scored 2, he's a goalscorer, surely we need goalscorers?

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Given the changes made in the summer and after a nervy start Whitney has done well and will rightly start next season has the Walsall manager I hope.

As for other clubs loaning players I am sure there will be no problems. The kids that have come in from other clubs cannot speak any more highly of Whitney McCarthy constantly praises him for the game time given and lets remember he was recently voted young player of the month for the division. Just read dobsons comments in the express and star he is also pleased with his time here. O'Connell has come in and raised the quality of the defence and has settled well. Toner was treated correctly by Whitney and was taken from the limelight when he struggled to save him from too much lasting damage.

It's a bit much expecting a manager to come in to a completely new eleven and in the same season maintain a top 12 position and then to develop home grown youngsters. But saying that I think Whitney has. Preston and bakayoko have improved from last season.

I did worry at the start of the season but for the money we pay I think Whitney is as good as anyone else we could get so why not have a genuine clubman at the helm

Kick back and enjoy the rest of the season the pressure is off
Last edited by Cowshed on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Jordan Cook scored two once... when the cameras were on him.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Just got back in.

First half we were good. Makris worked hard and linked up well and Moussa had two fantastic (and very similar) finishes, a spark being shown of the player we hoped we had signed! Preston dominated Nile Ranger for the most part with them only having 1 or 2 real chances.

2nd half was an embarrassment. Lost every 2nd ball, lost every header, couldn't pass it out from the back to save our lives. The moment the first went in (and I thought Etheridge could have done better with it from my angle), I knew it was going to slide into their favour. Poor substitutions too. Why didn't Dobson or Edwards who had no influence in the second half come off? Why take off our best player in the match in Moussa who is on a hat trick and stick on Kieron Morris who regularly disappears in away matches? Why not bring on another defender to shore us up for the long ball? Why not go to a 4 and get another bank of 4 in front to pick up the loose long balls? Why has Etheridge stopped coming for crosses (this may be a little harsh)?

So many questions about that bewildering second half. Doesn't help that there was a 3 hour drive back too. Very poor afternoon.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Really problem defending high balls I'm afraid....it was an issue at Bolton, today and probably at Bradford in two weeks.

If 3 at the back is continuing into next season then a no nonsense dominant head it kick it CB is a must....it's alright having ball playing CBs in there but the basic and dirty sides of the game must be respected aswell.

Did Preston struggle today. I've thought he's been slowly improving this season but seems he's still got a way to go.

There was a good point made about the strength in depth Sarfend have....I've always though of them as a very similar side to Walsall but when you can have Simon Cox, Fortune and Theo Robinson all as sub options they've clearly put all their finances in the score as many goals as possible pot.

Shows how tight things are though so important not to be OTT...hang onto the win and would've been 1 point off Southend...their win means they're now in top 6 albeit Millwall have a million games in hand.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Whitters wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Maybe he's been played in the wrong position.
He scored 2, he's a goalscorer, surely we need goalscorers?
Well we signed him as a midfielder and i am pretty sure that is his position, so he is a midfielder that has scored a couple of goals. to be honest i think that there is better out there and i think that he will have been on a very good wage, so yes we need goal scorers but i wouldn't pin my hopes on him for next season :wink: having said that he scored 18 goals in 77 games for Coventry so not prolific

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Well having just seen the highlights....crucial first goal is all on Makris imo....how on earth can you turn you back on a free kick. Slow then to stop the cross and the goal happens.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:27 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Well having just seen the highlights....crucial first goal is all on Makris imo....how on earth can you turn you back on a free kick. Slow then to stop the cross and the goal happens.

Firstly the free kick was bollocks. Their striker battered Preston clearly fouling him and then Preston won the ball in what I thought was a firm but fair tackle. It should have been a free kick to Walsall if anything. But then once the kick has been given, both Makris and Preston looked at their player but didn't bother to pick him up. Preston moved into the middle and Makris just stood and watched. Terrible defending.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 pm

reading some of the reports tonight it looks like if we had had a decent ref then we could have won :( well you can't blame the manager or the players for suspect reffing, only the way we dealt with it :(

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:11 am

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:18 am

thanks guesty what a waste of two fantastic taken goals :|

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:36 am

chunkster wrote:thanks guesty what a waste of two fantastic taken goals :|

Absolutely. :?

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:51 am

whitney needs to take some blame for today.cack tactics second half and too slow to react to what was happening in the second half and when he did the damage was already done.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:19 am

This "he's learning" stuff. What has been learnt between the three second half goals we conceded in the second half at home to Bury and the three second half goals we conceded yesterday? About six months and thirty games between the two and yet show the same mental and physical fragility.

Like Cowshed, I think his post-match interview was decent yesterday. " No excuses" - good.

Onwards and sideways.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season