Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (A) 18th Mar, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Southend United (A) 18th Mar, 3pm

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:52 pm

aaaae wrote:My assessment of Makris performance is much closer to Tom_1992 than Philthesaddler.

Phil if you could bring the ball down like Makris did for our first goal you must be a good player, what level do you play at?

You think you need to play at a decent level a football to bring a ball down that goes about 10 yards in the air and pass it 5 yards?!

:shock:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:56 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
I wasn't at the game but I guess JD was brought on because they were 2-0 down and chasing the game. JD offers an attacking threat. If you ever saw Jason play last season you would know that. If you think Phil Brown thought that Makris was so poor that he didn't require marking, then you are stretching your point somewhat.

Manager takes off one of 2 centre halves, and brings on an attacking fullback...and you say that's nothing to do with our front-line being toothless?

Perhaps he was so scared of us scoring a third, that he thought the way to tighten things up at the back was to go from 4 to 3 at the back.

Makes sense...

WalsallMem

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Lets not forget Phil is rarely wrong :roll:

All bow down to the almighty Phil

Better than Lee Evans, this

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:28 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
chriss5471 wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Believe me, he didn't win a single header - I watched very closely for the whole time he was on the pitch, he didn't win a single one.

Crikey, you must have better eyes than the cameras at the ground do then. I watched the extended highlights on Saddlers Player earlier and he won 2 headers in that alone.

Really? Cos I watched them too, and there wasn't a single header won.

Either you're blind, or you're telling porkies.

How about you tell me which minutes/seconds of the video these headers occur in? I'll then post clips later, if I have time.

I do apologise the first one I thought he won was at 05:02 but he infact gets pushed by Jason Demetriou, he does however get in the way of the header from Jason and it comes off the back of his head.

However he definitely wins a very important defensive header at 06:28. Also at 5:24 he makes an intelligent run to the back post and is agonisingly close to a Jason McCarthy cross which shows he has some idea of where to be as an attacking player.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
I wasn't at the game but I guess JD was brought on because they were 2-0 down and chasing the game. JD offers an attacking threat. If you ever saw Jason play last season you would know that. If you think Phil Brown thought that Makris was so poor that he didn't require marking, then you are stretching your point somewhat.

Manager takes off one of 2 centre halves, and brings on an attacking fullback...[b]and you say that's nothing to do with our front-line being toothless?
[/b]
Perhaps he was so scared of us scoring a third, that he thought the way to tighten things up at the back was to go from 4 to 3 at the back.

Makes sense...

Is this the same toothless front-line that had put us into a 2-0 lead?

We all know Makris isn't the new Bradshaw (yet?) but your determination to demonise him is starting to get a bit weird. :?

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

Manager takes off one of 2 centre halves, and brings on an attacking fullback...[b]and you say that's nothing to do with our front-line being toothless?
[/b]

Makes sense...

We all know Makris isn't the new Bradshaw (yet?) but your determination to demonise him is starting to get a bit weird. :?

No Phil is right for Andreas Makris see dale banton or Ashley grimes

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Cowshed wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

[/b]

Makes sense...

No Phil is right for Andreas Makris see dale banton or Ashley grimes

Pointless comparisons. Those two played around 200 games each in English football. Makris has hardly played much more than 200 minutes !

I'm in no position to say he will make it in the English game or not, only time on the pitch will prove that. Not Phil's OTT ramblings.

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:16 pm

I agree - I'm not sure on Makris either but lets be fair to the bloke, he's hardly had sufficient game time for anyone to decide if he's got what it takes or not...

There Seems to be a massive over reaction to this defeat.... of course it's a disappointment but in fairness JW seems to be using the inability to defend set pieces to good effect, stating today that he'll replace those that can't handle set pieces with players that can!

Tough talking is one thing but being able to effect change of playing staff in a regime like ours is perhaps a bigger challenge.. UTS

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 am

coop63 wrote:There Seems to be a massive over reaction to this defeat....

UTS

I think the consensus is that this was output last, last, last chance of making a play-off push, and the season is effectively over. That's seen a cathartic release of opinion from UTSers here as we realise we're not going up this year.

Somewhat ironically, we scraped past the standard 50 points for survival only a couple of games ago, so there's no relegation battle to stress over either! Expect a slowdown in contributions as we meander toward mid-table mediocrity...

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:02 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
saddla wrote:It's very easy to support your team when they're winning 2-0.
It's much more difficult to support your team when the opposition has brought the score back to 2-2.
Chanting "2-0 and we f****d it up" does your team no good at all and destroys the confidence even more. This is when the team need you to support them more than ever because it can and does make a difference when the fans are behind you.

Blimey Saddla, I bet your a hoot at funerals with your party hat and party poppers! Your so inspirational you make 'Optimistic' look dour! :mrgreen:

Surely the fans that had paid a lot of good money, and used up virtually a weekend to get down to Sarfend, are entitled to express their opinions when a two goal lead is capitulated into a 3-2 defeat. Or are we all supposed to react joyfully, when the performance on the field merits very little but disgust. I remember similar 'chants'..... "we've had a shot, we've had a shot" at non performances earlier in the season. It's just a reaction to the poor attitude, and remember, to a small extent, we pay their wages!

Next time we see someone jumping for joy when are being well beaten again, we know that will be you!! :wink:

I don't jump for joy when we lose. But when we're losing I do try to encourage the players. When they pull the shirt on they are my players and a chant of "Come on Walsall, Come on Walsall" is much more beneficial to the team than telling them how crap they are.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:19 pm

saddla wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
saddla wrote:It's very easy to support your team when they're winning 2-0.
It's much more difficult to support your team when the opposition has brought the score back to 2-2.
Chanting "2-0 and we f****d it up" does your team no good at all and destroys the confidence even more. This is when the team need you to support them more than ever because it can and does make a difference when the fans are behind you.

Blimey Saddla, I bet your a hoot at funerals with your party hat and party poppers! Your so inspirational you make 'Optimistic' look dour! :mrgreen:

Surely the fans that had paid a lot of good money, and used up virtually a weekend to get down to Sarfend, are entitled to express their opinions when a two goal lead is capitulated into a 3-2 defeat. Or are we all supposed to react joyfully, when the performance on the field merits very little but disgust. I remember similar 'chants'..... "we've had a shot, we've had a shot" at non performances earlier in the season. It's just a reaction to the poor attitude, and remember, to a small extent, we pay their wages!

Next time we see someone jumping for joy when are being well beaten again, we know that will be you!! :wink:

I don't jump for joy when we lose. But when we're losing I do try to encourage the players. When they pull the shirt on they are my players and a chant of "Come on Walsall, Come on Walsall" is much more beneficial to the team than telling them how crap they are.
Over the last 40 years of supporting the super saddlers i have "NEVER" slagged off a player or the team while they are playing, "HOWEVER" i have voiced my disapproval at the end :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 am

I always used to blame the ref before the players. Only got me thrown out once!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 am

Exile wrote:I always used to blame the ref before the players. Only got me thrown out once!

Me too, as you can see from my posts from the game. Fortunately it didn't get me thrown out, I threw myself out after they scored their third. By that point I was in desperate need of a pint.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 am

philthesaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:My assessment of Makris performance is much closer to Tom_1992 than Philthesaddler.

Phil if you could bring the ball down like Makris did for our first goal you must be a good player, what level do you play at?

You think you need to play at a decent level a football to bring a ball down that goes about 10 yards in the air and pass it 5 yards?!

:shock:

It was a deft bit of skill, which directly lead to our goal. For some reason you are completely blind to anything Makris did of merit, your claim that he didn't win a header for example is just plain ridiculous. He had a good first half and an anonymous second half. Like the rest of the team in fact.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:35 pm

I think JW and Makris should be given until at least Christmas to be properly judged,he never stood much of a chance, having to replace a good proportion of the squad,and not just a good proportion of the squad,all the players who left were the best players in the team.He needs to maybe release 2 or 3 players at the end of the season,get 2 or 3 players in, learn the lessons of this season,and use the lessons he's learnt during a full close season of training and playing friendlies. We are only 7 points off the playoffs,not bad for his first season in charge is it? And all that Makris needs is a fluke goal,and that could set him on the way to being a regular scorer,lets face it,apart from Southend he's only had 5-10 mins to prove himself, and usually when the team were desperate for a goal.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 pm

Agree 100% with you, Swifty.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:21 am

SWS11 wrote:Agree 100% with you, Swifty.

Well I'm glad about that.

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season