Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 14 Mar, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 14 Mar, 7.45pm

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:14 am

We welcome Fleetwood's Cod Army to fortress Banks's, as they lick their wounds after Saturday's home defeat against Bolton Wanderers. That defeat was their first League One reverse since November 12th when Port Vale got the better of them. At that time Fleetwood were in the bottom half of the table, and they now sit comfortably in an automatic promotion place on 64 points. Their progress is all the more laudable when you consider that this incarnation of the club only came about in 1997, and it was only 3 years ago that they achieved promotion to League One, beating Burton Albion (whatever happened to them?) in the Wembley play-off final. Financially, of course, they have had the good fortune to receive £1million for the sale of Jamie Vardy to Leicester City - which is still the record holder for a non-league player, and the fee rose to £1.7million as he progressed there.

Our objective for this game will be to reverse the scoreline from the December meeting in deepest Lancashire, when Fleetwood got the better of us 2-1 ... there will be at least one change from the Walsall side from that game as we have said goodbye to Kevin Toner. Another change may well be one of timing, as Andreas Makris now merits a tiny fraction more game time than his introduction in the 89th minute at Highbury. Fleetwood's current League One form:

11 Feb Rochdale (H) Drew 0-0
14 Feb Bradford City (H) Won 2-1
18 Feb M K Dons (A) Won 0-1
25 Feb Northampton Town (H) Won 3-0
4 Mar Scunthorpe United (A) Won 0-2
11 Mar Bolton Wanderers (H) Lost 2-4

Although our current home form (WWWWWW) is impressive, it would be dangerous to write off Fleetwood's away performances - they have come away with 3 points after visiting Scunthorpe United, Sheffield United, M K Dons, Southend United, plus the obvious candidates of Coventry City, Chesterfield and Shrewsbury Town. In case you're wondering what that kind of away form would mean for us, I'll tell you - 7 away wins rather than our current 3 would see us in the automatic promotion place presently occupied by Fleetwood Town!!!

All that aside, Bolton Wanderers proved last Saturday that Uwe Rosler's Fleetwood side are not infallible, even though it took something of a freak goal to open Bolton's account according to reports. I feel sure that we would accept any freak goals that fell in our lap, although we would naturally use the time-honoured phrase "played for, and got". :wink:

I can't see any obvious changes for Jon Whitney to make to the starting line-ups of the last couple of games - the substitutions made against Chesterfield and Charlton Athletic appeared to be tactical rather than injury-driven and even Isaiah Osbourne is maintaining consistent match fitness, so the only notable absentee will be Florent Cuvelier. Kieron Morris has been substituted in both of the last two games, and I wonder whether JW thinks he needs resting?

Prediction time ... tricky, as always. Fleetwood will naturally be wanting to resume "normal service" (a reminder that until last Saturday they had been on a run of 19 League One matches unbeaten) - but naturally we have a point to prove after losing to them in December. I can easily see this one as being a tight and nervy encounter, and a 1-0 home win will be extremely welcome (Jackson on target again, as he has now worked out how to successfully spring the off-side trap). An additional motivation for JW's players is that with Bristol Rovers and Southend United both playing away, we have a chance of leapfrogging them to the very edge of the play-off zone (OK, I know they're only up against Bury and Coventry City.....).

Whatever - it should be an interesting night .... UTS :D

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 14 Mar, 7.45pm

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:58 am

Not only are you welcoming Fleetwood to the Bescot you will also have my presence. A rare occurrence as my only other visit was against Watford in the Championship days of Paul Merson and Vinny Samways et al.
I happen to be in Walsall tomorrow on personal business so what else would I do given this opportunity to see the mighty Saddlers.
I have got myself a ticket for the Homeserve Stand - Block N. So if you see some lost soul wandering around there it will probably be me, what are the watering holes like in that Stand ?
As for the match itself all I want to see from a Walsall team is good honest endeavour and a win of course. UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 am

2-2.

The away game up there was one of the worst performances of the season and also one of the most bizarre formations I've seen a team play, Fleetwood did look a decent team then though although be interesting to see how they recover from their first defeat in yonks.

Ironically the same formation has been kept and it's only a change or two to the personnel who played that day e.g. no Toner and everything looks so much better.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:39 am

Just to add to the difficulty of forecasting the result the referee is....................yes its the one and only Trevor Kettle!!!!!! A draw is my prediction ! 10 apiece...that is players left on the pitch!

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Would run off with a 0-0.

However, Dobson to score if we do.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Makris hat trick!

(Copy and paste on every thread)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:28 pm

We MUST get our own back for one of the most appalling, one sided, humiliating 2-1 defeats in the history of modern Saddlers footy teams! And shove that drum up that lads ****!

Most annoyingly we uuup North have just had to endure a 'special' in the local BBC news, all hail the wonderful, fabulous, tremendous, all conquering Fleetwood team (they 'almost' mentioned that Bolton gave 'em a lesson on Saturday!) undefeated since mid November, almost certain to go up automatically etc, bloomin etc! .........utterly nauseous....

If we too could put a halt to their progress I would be in seventh heaven, the memory of that day in Fleetwood will haunt me for years, utter embarrassment it was......so come on me babbies!!! (I wonder if WE have the same troubles/discomfort as poor old Manure, who have only a 'few' multi million pound strikers to chose from for tonight's F.A. Cup defeat to Chelskie....our hearts bleed, they do indeed................................... :wink:)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Only AM could call a narrow 2-1 defeat a humiliation in the clubs history. Surprised you didn't ask for a refund. :lol:

TBF it was a really poor performance that day and I honestly thought Whitney had lost the plot trying to implement a 3-5-2 with the personnel available.

Funny old game they say....

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 pm

this is a game that a few years ago we would win easily.
now Fleetwood turned into a decent side with a good manager.

this could be the last chance for playoffs as I think if we fail to win that will be the fat lady.
win and weve a squeak albeit with us not winning away might be difficult.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 am

We tend to have a habit of ending teams runs. Won the last 5, easy win for the Saddlers. Not got a point in 8 games? Here's three on us. If Fleetwood had beaten Bolton we were a dead cert for 3pts, but now their run's ended I'm less confident. We're gonna have to be on the ball to keep them to 1 goal or less, and how often do we score 2 or more? Would be well happy with a hard fought 2-1. Ozzy grabbing another 90+min winner. UTS!

LD

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:38 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Only AM could call a narrow 2-1 defeat a humiliation in the clubs history. Surprised you didn't ask for a refund. :lol:

TBF it was a really poor performance that day and I honestly thought Whitney had lost the plot trying to implement a 3-5-2 with the personnel available.

Funny old game they say....

You know. I believe you were there, :wink: 2-1 flattered us beyond belief, compared to our efforts that day Lincoln ran rings round the Gunners, if Fleetwood had got out of first gear, and tried to score as many as they should have that day, it most certainly wouldn't have ended up 2-1............................be realistic my friend.

And, I didn't say the clubs entire history, I said recent history.....I've witnessed some hum dinging humiliations down at Fellows Park in my time! :mrgreen: I've also seen some crackin wins, comebacks etc, remember the Gillingham 3-2 what a cracker that was! 8-2 against Torquay, (when we had forwards) there have been scores of brilliant matches.......

Whatever, I just want to see us win THIS one more than any before!, Then, next season, get a bloomin striker in!!!!!!!!!!!.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:06 pm

I see a case for Dobson starting ahead of Morris tonight- sure-up the middle of the park against one of the division's better sides.

This one has the distinct aura of a draw all over it: 1-1- Bakayoko for us.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Must win to keep those play off dreams alive. I sense a draw.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:56 pm

2-1 Walsall. O'Connell and McCarthy, and Cole for them.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:02 pm

although i went to fleetwood and yes it was dismal. i think it was the fact that we played so bad that they beat us, not the fact that they were any good. Either way we couldn't play as bad as that again against them, so i am going for a 1-1 with ozzy on target for us

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Just waiting for Welsh to confirm....."Same team again" :?

I am a believer in the saying "if it ain't broke, don't change it". But also "if it ain't working too good make some adjustments"

Jackson up front, Jackson gets caught offside, fades into the background...................

Dobson replaces Morris otherwise 'same again'............Oh how we dream of having Lightbourne & Wilson up front knocking 'em in for fun................................... :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Early goal at the Ricoh (obviously) .. Coventry City 0 Southend Utd 1

.... and Chesterfield 1 Peterborough Utd 0 (EDIT .... now 1-1 after 7 min)

Gillingham 0 Bolton Wanderers 1

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:55 pm

PETERBOROUGH have equalised and Bolton are 1-0 "BLOODY HELL YOU ARE QUICK WELSH" i am just going to watch you in future :lol:
Last edited by chunkster on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:56 pm

chunkster wrote:PETERBOROUGH have equalised

No need to shout my friend!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chunkster wrote:PETERBOROUGH have equalised

No need to shout my friend!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I ain't got a clue what i am doing half the time mate :lol: :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:01 pm

If things stay as they are, Coventry City can not reach our points total !!! :D (EDIT - Coventry now 0-2 down at home to Southend)

Gillingham 0 Bolton Wanderers 2 now (17 min)

Chesterfield 2 Peterborough Utd 3

Swindon Town 0 Sheffield Utd 2

Charlton Athletic 1 Bradford City 0

Oh Dear, following a corner it's Walsall 0 Fleetwood Town 1 (21 min) :( :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:23 pm

O'Connell off injured - Matt Preston takes his place (36 min)

Can't resist ... we still have The Dingles to amuse us :lol: :lol:

Oldham Athletic 1 Oxford Utd 0

Scunthorpe Utd 0 Rochdale 1

Charlton Athletic 1 Bradford City 1

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:29 pm

*sigh*

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Gillingham 0 Bolton Wanderers 3

The 3rd injury break at Bescot ... the first two were for O'Connell

0-1 at half time, and we've slumped to 11th place in the table - what will JW come up with, I wonder?

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:37 pm

still think we will get a draw :wink:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 pm

It sounds like a crap first half from us.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 pm

chunkster wrote:still think we will get a draw :wink:

We are currently 3.6 odds to get the draw, and 8.0 for a win ..... I don't really fancy either one :?

I like your optimism chunkster (even if it is tongue in cheek) - if you want the other side of the coin have a look at Coventry City's unofficial board :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:still think we will get a draw :wink:

We are currently 3.6 odds to get the draw, and 8.0 for a win ..... I don't really fancy either one :?

I like your optimism chunkster (even if it is tongue in cheek) - if you want the other side of the coin have a look at Coventry City's unofficial board :lol:

i have put a bet on the draw the only thing i regret is putting us to win with Peterbourough sheffield utd southend rochdale and bolton :lol: oh and portsmouth :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Swindon have equalised against the Blades - it's 2-2 now (EDIT - Blades now 2-3 ahead)

Gillingham 0 Bolton Wanderers 4

Bury 1 Bristol Rovers 0

Scunthorpe Utd 1 Rochdale 1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Time for one or two substitutions JW ...... nothing to lose at this stage.

AFC Wimbledon 2 M K Dons 0 (68 min) :D :D

Northampton Town 1 Port Vale 0

Oldham Athletic 1 Oxford Utd 1

Bury 2 Bristol Rovers 0

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season