Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) Mar 4th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) Mar 4th, 3pm

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:45 am

WarsawPact wrote:EEK!

No less than attempted murder,the police should be involved.10 match ban wouldn't be unfair.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:58 am

maybe we should post the pick of the tackle on their forum, they might take a different view then :|

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:00 am

chunkster wrote:maybe we should post the pick of the tackle on their forum, they might take a different view then :|

On their forum one of them said the sending off was a bit harsh.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:02 am

chunkster wrote:maybe we should post the pick of the tackle on their forum, they might take a different view then :|

To be fair, that's where I got it from, and none of them were trying to defend it.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/49498-walsall-on-saturday/page-6#entry898371

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 am

Cracker from Baka. Nice to win against an ugly side.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:57 am

Apologies to everyone if offended by my 'off the cuff' remarks earlier in the thread, aided by copious amounts of Birthday alcohol, and born out of frustration at us being unable to tame a relegation threatened team, at home, against ten men! IT all turned out OK in the end, but based on reports from those there, it wasn't pretty.

Yes, I am also frustrated by Baky, a big lad with a turn of speed, and, after yesterdays effort, an ability in front of goal, but, so many times that I have seen him live, he has appeared as a little (large) boy lost, making little impact on the squad. Perhaps he will improve by realising that he IS a big lad, and could put that to use more often!

Those of you who are too young to have seen the late great Colin Taylor play have missed out, what a fabulous shot he had on him, in the old Fellows Park days, the Laundry End wall had a mesh covering, and if one of his left foot thunderbolts ever missed the target and hit the mesh, it would sent a torrent of rust to the floor that you could get money off down at the metalworks factory :lol: :lol: !
My memory is a little jaded now, but I think it was Gutteridge once got in the way of one of his 'shots' in training, and it took months for the weal that ensued to recover!!

So folks please again accept my apologies for any offence caused by somewhat caustic remarks yesterday.

UTS always

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Apologies to everyone if offended by my 'off the cuff' remarks earlier in the thread, aided by copious amounts of Birthday alcohol, and born out of frustration at us being unable to tame a relegation threatened team, at home, against ten men! IT all turned out OK in the end, but based on reports from those there, it wasn't pretty.

Yes, I am also frustrated by Baky, a big lad with a turn of speed, and, after yesterdays effort, an ability in front of goal, but, so many times that I have seen him live, he has appeared as a little (large) boy lost, making little impact on the squad. Perhaps he will improve by realising that he IS a big lad, and could put that to use more often!

Those of you who are too young to have seen the late great Colin Taylor play have missed out, what a fabulous shot he had on him, in the old Fellows Park days, the Laundry End wall had a mesh covering, and if one of his left foot thunderbolts ever missed the target and hit the mesh, it would sent a torrent of rust to the floor that you could get money off down at the metalworks factory :lol: :lol: !
My memory is a little jaded now, but I think it was Gutteridge once got in the way of one of his 'shots' in training, and it took months for the weal that ensued to recover!!

So folks please again accept my apologies for any offence caused by somewhat caustic remarks yesterday.

UTS always

I recall he once scored from around the half way line, against Brentford I think. Not one of those lovely Ozzy or Charlie Adam type chips, this one he hit in the only way Taylor could, and the ball was still rising as it hit the net. (Sorry, a bit OT for this thread).

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:52 pm

You don't have to apologise AM for anything. This site is largely about opinions and we should not be afraid to express them. Having said that you and I will rarely agree!!! I am all for bringing through players from our youth teams and seeing them develop is ,to me, one of the best things about being a fan of a Club. I have accept sometimes though that some reach a level which is not sufficient for league 1 and for me Bakayoko still has a lot to learn about playing at our level. We must give the lad time to see if he can play consistently well for us.
As FISH said some were critical of Allan Clarke when he first came into the team and I admit I was one of them!!!!.....thats another reason I take my time these days to judge players!!! :D

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Well the long trip was worth it - I got to see a win, 2 sendings off, possibly the fattest professional footballer I've ever seen and a horror tackle, the like of which I hope I don't see again.

Firstly Gerrard - how does a paid professional footballer allow himself to get into a state like that?

Secondly, the tackle - sitting not too far away from it, my initial reaction was that he might have slipped on his way? I can't think what had got into him otherwise. It's a pure miracle that McCarthy's leg didn't snap into several pieces and his career would have been ended. Seeing that still photo certainly explains why he spent the next 10 minutes looking completely dazed and crossing his chest. He obviously realised how close catastrophe had been.

As for the rest of the game, I thought several players looked a little off the pace. Strange when you consider we didn't have a game on Tuesday in the end.

For all the talk about Etheridge, I thought he looked really shaky on more than one occasion, got the most ridiculous booking, which an unkind referee could have interpreted as red, and then walked a tightrope with some of his timewasting. I'm aware of the times that he's saved us this season. Yesterday wasn't one of them!

I like the man from Celtic - composed, has football intelligence (which can't be taught to some) and attacked in some style at times. It would be lovely to sign him up.

Morris - going through a poor spell it seems. Flatters to deceive and makes runs where he knows he can't be passed to. On the occasions when he was forced to do something with the ball, he looked really good. So what a shame that he hasn't got the confidence to do it more often.

Oztumer - clearly our best creative player by a mile and a great asset. But he over-plays it. Or at least he did on several occasions yesterday. That's a harsh criticism for our man of the match and the real creative spark on the pitch, but it maybe gives some indication as to why Peterborogh let him go and he isn't already playing higher?

Jackson - constantly offside, when he did receive the ball onside it would bobble away from him and was generally poor. Most of us would have subbed him.....and then he makes the perfect run across his man in the box and sticks out a toe to get to the ball first and draw the penalty. So he effectively won us the game. Shows how little most of us know!

Makris - a cameo appearance. Bear in mind I don't see us that often but, on the occasions I have been and he's come on as sub, he has something. I'm not convinced yet that it is enough, and he certainly can't deal with the physical side of the game, but he has something. Twice yesterday, he made excellent runs into the box - once I think it was Oztumer who failed to play the cross and give him an open goal, the second time was, I think, the second goal. Maybe he needs a run partnering someone so that they get to know when to pass to him? There's definitely something there.

Oldham - you can see why they are on a good run. Front two caused us problems and were awkward to play against. And fair play to their fans - on the message board, hardly anyone has tried to defend either of the sendings off and, during the game, I thought they gave superb support, especially at the start of the 2nd half, when the noise they were making caused us to panic at the back and the ref to give them decisions which he shouldn't have done. I've never liked the place or had any affection for the club, but they've gone up in my estimation a little.

Holbeach Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Fish wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Apologies to everyone if offended by my 'off the cuff' remarks earlier in the thread, aided by copious amounts of Birthday alcohol, and born out of frustration at us being unable to tame a relegation threatened team, at home, against ten men! IT all turned out OK in the end, but based on reports from those there, it wasn't pretty.

UTS always

I recall he once scored from around the half way line, against Brentford I think. Not one of those lovely Ozzy or Charlie Adam type chips, this one he hit in the only way Taylor could, and the ball was still rising as it hit the net. (Sorry, a bit OT for this thread).

vs Barrow 1967-68. But for the goal net the ball would still be a danger to the Sat nav satellites.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Ah, Colin "The Chest" Taylor. My all-time favourite player, just edging out the great Tony Richards and Alan Buckley. Also known, rightly, as Cannonball Taylor, he had the hardest shot in the league, in all four leagues, come to that, for several years. Peter Lorimer of Leeds had a reputation for a thunderous shot but a player who played with both (can't remember who) gave the accolade for most powerful shot to our Colin. Wish we had a player these days who could score 32 goals (from the wing! from anywhere!) like Colin did one season.
Happy days! :D

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:20 am

Hard work against a pub team of Fatties.... Mr offside should be third in the pecking order up top

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Average performance from an average (at best) team.

Tackle was a horror and couldn't believe it was followed by boos of protest from their fans.

Gerrard is TWICE the player he was when with us.

As a sometime UTSer said to me at the final whistle - it's a good job Jackson didn't convince Ozzy to let him take the penalty has he'd have probably been offside whilst taking it.

Time to give Makris a few WHOLE games to show what he (or hasn't) got.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:27 pm

SWS11 wrote:Also known, rightly, as Cannonball Taylor, he had the hardest shot in the league, in all four leagues, come to that, for several years. Peter Lorimer of Leeds had a reputation for a thunderous shot but a player who played with both (can't remember who) gave the accolade for most powerful shot to our Colin.

I think that it may have been the Daily Fail which arranged a contest between Taylor and Lorimer. Taylor won (of course!) to claim his title of the scourge of goalkeepers.

Will we ever see the like of him again? Unlikely, given the nature of modern footballs (and footwear).

UTS Legend

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:52 am

Exile wrote:Cracker from Baka.

Here's a good view of it.

https://youtu.be/hf5pDwKRhV8

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:07 am

SWS11 wrote: Peter Lorimer of Leeds had a reputation for a thunderous shot but a player who played with both (can't remember who) gave the accolade for most powerful shot to our Colin.

Presumably Allan Sniffer Clarke.

Incidentally , on the radio the other day they asked an old pro what it was like playing against Revie's infamous Leeds team . His opinion was that Allan Clarke was by far , the nastiest and sneakiest of the lot of 'em.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:12 am

Kevlar wrote:
SWS11 wrote: Peter Lorimer of Leeds had a reputation for a thunderous shot but a player who played with both (can't remember who) gave the accolade for most powerful shot to our Colin.

Presumably Allan Sniffer Clarke.

Incidentally , on the radio the other day they asked an old pro what it was like playing against Revie's infamous Leeds team . His opinion was that Allan Clarke was by far , the nastiest and sneakiest of the lot of 'em.

Met him a few years back, when delivering to a firm in Wakefield where he worked, presumably as a rep, (in a suit) was very grateful that someone from the 'really old days' had recognised him. Normally he said it was folk from his Leeds era. Very polite, didn't look very different, other than greying hair and a few wrinkles....trying to catch up with me! :lol: :lol:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Guest wrote:

I hope you're all watching Makris here.
First he checks to ensure he remains onside (Simeon, take note).
Next he runs into an acre of space on the blind side.
The ball doesn't come then, so he makes a run across the box to the near post.
But not to worry, it was a great goal!

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:53 pm

leics_saddler wrote:
Guest wrote:

I hope you're all watching Makris here.
First he checks to ensure he remains onside (Simeon, take note).
Next he runs into an acre of space on the blind side.
The ball doesn't come then, so he makes a run across the box to the near post.
But not to worry, it was a great goal!

Good post. Makris has got something. Just needs that first goal.

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season