Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) Mar 4th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) Mar 4th, 3pm

Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:54 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Walsall substitution, 67 minutes ......... Bakayoko on for Joe Edwards

Attendance 6,003 by the way

Absolute shite, what's that gonna achieve?

A striker on for a defensive player at 0-0 isn't an obvious change?

Yes, but replace a waste of space with a useless lump? We HAVE to get a striker in for next season otherwise our gates will drop below 3K guaranteed.............. (spoke too soon we have a penalty?)

2-0 Bakayoko. :wink:

Frustratingly Millwall have decided to score a 90th minute penalty this week so play off gap will be 9 points as opposed to 7.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Crikey 2-01!! I bet Baky had forgotten what to do before that goal.................

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Walsall substitution, 67 minutes ......... Bakayoko on for Joe Edwards

Yes, but replace a waste of space with a useless lump? We HAVE to get a striker in for next season otherwise our gates will drop below 3K guaranteed.............. (spoke too soon we have a penalty?)

The useless lump scored!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Wolves 1 point off the bottom 3....didn't they sign Costa for 12m in January?! :lol:

Will be in massive financial trouble if they go down...no parachute payments this time.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:59 pm

How many home wins in a row is that now?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:17 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:How many home wins in a row is that now?
5 i think?

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:17 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:How many home wins in a row is that now?

deldras
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:25 pm

What a chance to improve our impoverished goal difference, against 9 men!!!!!! :?

We did +2

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:41 pm

It just goes to show how far oldham have come this season, this wouldn't have been a win if they had still had 11 men on the pitch

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Was in a great mood until that prat Chris rang WM on my way home. Does anyone know him? Please tel him to stop.

I'm sorry mate but ringing up to firstly complain/goad that even bigger clown Franksy will get you nowhere and then to top that off after the 3 minute debate with Franksy he only talked about Walsall for about 10 seconds.

Please if anyone knows him tell him to stop.

Other than that - enjoyable afternoon! What a goal by Baka. And the touch by Jackson to win the pen was class.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Guest wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

The useless lump scored!

And it was described as a fantastic finish by the Official Site. I tell you what Ancient you can't even have a day off on your birthday. Baka is just 21, it's his breakthrough season and he has scored, I think, 10 goals to date. However you just write him off as a useless lump :!:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Make no mistake that was a poor performance today and I don't want to hear any of the following in reply either:
- 10 men always play better
- Oldham have been on a run
- Just need to be patient and keep our shape
- A good team still wins even it doesn't play well.

We played against 10 men for 70 minutes and 9 men for the last 10,
Despite this, we walked around the park messing about sideways, back, sideways, back, lose possession.
It was lethargic, predictable and pedestrian. It was not possession football because we kept losing it.
Exactly like last week, we got dragged down the opposition's poor level.
The tempo was about half what it should have been.

Etheridge - just Etheridge. Brilliance, nonsense and time wasting booking.

Edwards - substituted with the agreement of no-one
O'Connell - played well and had the intelligence to realise he was the spare man on occasion, bringing the ball out or joining the attack.
O'Connor - solid
Laird - solid
McCarthy - a little subdued, as you might imagine after been sent into the concrete wall early on. Improved as the game went on

Chambers - if ever there was a game we needed someone circumspect who could put their foot on the ball, this was not it.
Osborne - same as last week, should have been much more imposing
Morris - wayward

Oztumer - some nice touches but again should have been much more imposing.
Jackson - more going through the motions and being caught offside a lot. We must start issuing fines for this offence. He was actually more effective when played in a deeper lying role and started linking up play. He tended to be caught offside less when he did this. He also won the penalty, so I do have to temper my attack on him this week!

Bakayoko - made a difference and played well, stunning goal
Makris - needed to come on about 25 minutes earlier for Jackson. Took up intelligent positions and showed some nice touches again. He is certainly looks no worse than Jackson. I'm glad he got a good reception too.

On a footnote, WM - somebody please strangle Chris who played right into Fransky's hands.
For good measure, he was then followed by the most condescending Dingle I've ever heard (excluding presenters).
Chris also proceeded to give the most inaccurate game synopsis I've heard this season.

Daz Hale should be fined every time he says 'bad day at the office.'
Franksy should be fined double every time he says it because Daz Hale at least said it first.
If they won't fine him they should just let Alison Hammond sit on him.

On a positive, how nice to have Richard Wilford here today, the nearest thing they have to a professional broadcaster.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

It achieved quite a lot actually

Oldham had conceded midfield and packed defence and so we were overloaded in midfield but not looking to break through up front.

This susbstitution allowed 3 up front with Baka Jackson and Ozzie and that gave us the penetration needed to win the game

Once again credit to the manager and staff

Bakayoko scored a great goal and caused trouble when he came on

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:58 pm

We struggled today to find our best form....I thought our midfield players were not at their best and anyone of them could have been substituted however we won in the end thanks the skill of Jackson and the brilliant finish from Bakayoko. UTS

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:59 pm

you can tell the people that went today and those who didn't.
despite it not going to win match of the day it was a hard fought win that and I'm pleased we've ground that out after witnessing a v poor display last week at Wimbledon.
Oldham are looking a decent side and I think that 11 v 11 we would have lost but when you go to break an opponents leg then you get what you deserve.
baka actually changed the game for the better when he came on and scored a lovely goal to ease any doubts.

we may not get into the play offs but were almost safe and after the start to the season ill take that thankyou.

LEE75

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Happy with the result albeit against 9 men in the end, but not the performance. We needed to change things earlier than
We did today..latics had one overweight centre half and a 35yr old !! We should have got another forward on earlier and
worked the channels. Too much sideways passing which played into their hands. Thought their number 10 Holloway looked
decent, motm ? ... O'Connell for me.

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:20 pm

3 points on Tuesday night will see us in 8th place! :D
Come on me babbies!

(unless Oxford beat Sheff Utd)

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:42 pm

EEK!

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:42 pm

The useless lump scored!

And it was described as a fantastic finish by the Official Site. I tell you what Ancient you can't even have a day off on your birthday. Baka is just 21, it's his breakthrough season and he has scored, I think, 10 goals to date. However you just write him off as a useless lump.

I remember, years ago, people were saying the same thing about Allan Clarke when he broke into the first team.....And he never achieved a thing !!!!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:09 pm

WarsawPact wrote:EEK!

fudgin hell that was bad :shock: i would have sent him off twice AND clouted him for that :shock: it's a pity the FA can't look at that again and give him a longer ban the idiot :|

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:18 pm

This was right in front of me and I thought it looked bad.
It appears that I had the most flattering angle!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Gripper wrote:Was in a great mood until that prat Chris rang WM on my way home. Does anyone know him? Please tel him to stop.

I'm sorry mate but ringing up to firstly complain/goad that even bigger clown Franksy will get you nowhere and then to top that off after the 3 minute debate with Franksy he only talked about Walsall for about 10 seconds.

Other than that - enjoyable afternoon! What a goal by Baka. And the touch by Jackson to win the pen was class.

I started listening to dingleFM immediately after leaving the ground - and after hearing 35 minutes or so a barclays of how great Vile were for beating the might of Brizzle city and Rotherscum (for fudge sake, when did either last win a game?), this guy came on.

While he could have been more precise, those barclays at WM need to be told more of this. Since Regan took over as sport editor at this excuse for a radio station, our coverage has been shite. I've put in a proper BBC complaint to get the same sort of patronising cack back about "editorial decisions", "market penetration" bla bla fudge bla. A decent station would be routinely be providing at least internet commentary, even if our more important neighbours got the FM/DAB coverage - however, lets face it, that tall piece of shite "Franksy" is a pro who talks shite routinely everyday on this crap station while Chris would be like most people on the radio, slower to react. Maybe they'll put the retard back on who loves Mr Bonser in future as our token contibuter.

As to the game, it showed why we'd still have a realistic shout of the playoffs if we had one decent striker. We better improve on Mr offside next year, or mid-table is the best for next year again - and yes, it was a great turn for the nailed-on penalty. We really dont have enough threat to push for the top 6. You could say Oldham deserved a point, but I'd be pissed off if I were their manager for the shocking indiscipline they showed. As somebody else said, 3 games aint enough for the first sending off, while the second should have been a straight red.

vorny

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Fish wrote:

The useless lump scored!

And it was described as a fantastic finish by the Official Site. I tell you what Ancient you can't even have a day off on your birthday. Baka is just 21, it's his breakthrough season and he has scored, I think, 10 goals to date. However you just write him off as a useless lump.

I remember, years ago, people were saying the same thing about Allan Clarke when he broke into the first team.....And he never achieved a thing !!!!!

Reading through the posts on this thread it's probably time for the Ancient One to have his dosage reviewed....
That's what's known as passion though, with a healthy mix of desperation born of experience of seemingly endless past disasters at WFC.

I always remember sitting near Doffer at the famous WBA game.
He was sitting there abusing the ref expecting maybe a normal frustrating WFC performance when we scored.
And then scored again, and again and again.
His little round face was full of delight.
He had been transported from a land of cynical expectation to one where dreams came true.
At the end of the season we had reverted to form and we ended up being relegated....

Talking of past players, my dad tells me his favourite was Colin Taylor and a proportion of fans always said he couldn't play.
Then there were the experts who slated Deeney.
Game of opinions isn't it?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:50 pm

You are so right whitters, some fans can't see past their noses when it comes to picking which players are great and bad, ricketts was one that infuriated fans but went on to make a good living in the game, as has deeney. my dad always referred to colin taylor as his favorite player and said he took a shot once and hit the post and it was that hard it turned the pitch round :lol:

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:56 pm

He's big, he's Scouse, he's as a big as a fudge house.

What happened to Anthony Gerrard!? Did he eat a country?

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:43 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:He's big, he's Scouse, he's as a big as a fudge house.

What happened to Anthony Gerrard!? Did he eat a country?

He`s been living with Wayne Shaw. :)

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:06 am

And the Oldham fans booed McCarthy every time he touched the ball after this

Have to provisionally be the most moronic away fans of the season and we have played Coventry

I say provisionally as we haven't played port vale yet

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:36 am

Channel 5

https://youtu.be/sHfPgKBmzGg

An incident-packed minute and a half.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:11 am

boringteacher wrote:
Gripper wrote:Was in a great mood until that prat Chris rang WM on my way home. Does anyone know him? Please tel him to stop.

I started listening to dingleFM immediately after leaving the ground - and after hearing 35 minutes or so a barclays of how great Vile were for beating the might of Brizzle city and Rotherscum (for fudge sake, when did either last win a game?), this guy came on.

While he could have been more precise, those barclays at WM need to be told more of this. Since Regan took over as sport editor at this excuse for a radio station, our coverage has been shite. I've put in a proper BBC complaint to get the same sort of patronising cack back about "editorial decisions", "market penetration" bla bla fudge bla. A decent station would be routinely be providing at least internet commentary, even if our more important neighbours got the FM/DAB coverage - however, lets face it, that tall piece of shite "Franksy" is a pro who talks shite routinely everyday on this crap station while Chris would be like most people on the radio, slower to react. Maybe they'll put the retard back on who loves Mr Bonser in future as our token contibuter.

As to the game, it showed why we'd still have a realistic shout of the playoffs if we had one decent striker. We better improve on Mr offside next year, or mid-table is the best for next year again - and yes, it was a great turn for the nailed-on penalty. We really dont have enough threat to push for the top 6. You could say Oldham deserved a point, but I'd be pissed off if I were their manager for the shocking indiscipline they showed. As somebody else said, 3 games aint enough for the first sending off, while the second should have been a straight red.

Regan? I recall him verbally apllauding our tarvelling numbers at Doncaster shortly after he got the job ar WM. " Great to see so many Walsall fans travelling up from Birmingham for the game". Hes a bit one eyed.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season