Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) Mar 4th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Oldham Athletic (H) Mar 4th, 3pm

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:05 pm

The resurgent Latics come to our well-watered pitch on Saturday, currently on a run of 5 games without defeat. When manager John Sheridan was appointed on 12th January this year (for the third time) Oldham Athletic were rock-bottom of League One, but the improvement seen since then means that they're currently 3 points above the relegation zone, only 7 points behind ourselves. Their visit also means that we may well be able to give our good wishes to a couple of ex-Saddlers, in the shape (and what a shape!) of Antony Gerrard, who is a regular in the Latics' defence apart from when he is suspended, and "super-sub" Michael Ngoo who seems to be carving out the same reputation he had whilst with us - obvious potential but not much end product. Oldham's recent League One form (6 games where they have harvested 3 more points than we have):-

7 Feb M K Dons (A) Lost 1-0
11 Feb Coventry City (H) Won 3-2
14 Feb Charlton Athletic (H) Won 1-0
18 Feb Swindon Town (A) Drew 0-0
25 Feb Millwall (H) Drew 0-0
28 Feb Northampton Town (A) Won 1-2

Goalkeeper Connor Ripley is one to watch - in the Millwall game he saved his team's bacon by saving 2 Penalties, one in the 90th minute and another after 5 minutes of added on time, one to his right and one to the left, completely ruining Lee Gregory's day. While their defence has been doing a good job (to the extent that they've conceded 10 FEWER league One goals than we have), the obvious need is (similar to ourselves?) for a goalscorer, because in 35 League One games they have only managed to score 23 goals, comfortably the lowest in the division. Hopefully it will stay that way ....

Jon Whitney's team selection alternatives are exactly those for the postponed Chesterfield game, so I won't labour the points from that. We should be able to keep a clean sheet, just as we did at Boundary Park back in August - that was when Rico Henry dislocated his shoulder - how time flies.

Let's hope that (a) The Banks's pitch has recovered from its wetting earlier this week, and (b) A result of 2-0 by 5 o'clock to keep us hunting the fringes of the play-offs ... Oztumer and McCarthy to score.

UTS :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) Mar 4th, 3pm

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:53 pm

I think this game will be decided by who scores first....I think therefore it will be 0-0 :)

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Having been to the last two dire away games, last season's when Sheridan was doing his first, second coming I think this will be awkward.

Plenty of clamour for Makris and MacGivarillyaryfairy in the press this week, wonder if Mr Motivator will heed that will yet.

And as for Ngoo having obvious potential? I must be blind ;-) Surely a scout made a mistake with him, and he's been living off the ruse 'he must have something he signed for the mighty Liverpool once'. Mind I did see him score a wonder goal at Carlisle, as in I still wonder how he ever scored a goal. Hope they have him on penalties. Wonder what odds we'd get on some time in the future Peterborough signing him from non-league?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 pm

With a forecast of heavy rain from 10am to midnight tomorrow, is there any chance this game won't be on? Forecast is for dry on Saturday so can anyone comment on how bad the pitch might be? I'm contemplating travelling a long. long way!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:17 pm

With that forecast the match should go ahead. The problem on Tuesday was that the rain started at about 4.00pm and was much heavier than forecast. The timing was crucial and I wasn't surprised when it was called off at around 6.00pm as the rain was then forecast to continue until around 9.00pm. If Saturday's forecast is correct the pitch will have had many hours to dry out and as it is in good condition the match will go ahead.
I would check the latest forecast before you set SHROPS because there is always room for error with our weather.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:31 pm

Walsallone wrote:With that forecast the match should go ahead. The problem on Tuesday was that the rain started at about 4.00pm and was much heavier than forecast. The timing was crucial and I wasn't surprised when it was called off at around 6.00pm as the rain was then forecast to continue until around 9.00pm. If Saturday's forecast is correct the pitch will have had many hours to dry out and as it is in good condition the match will go ahead.
I would check the latest forecast before you set SHROPS because there is always room for error with our weather.

Thanks for that. The plan is to set off at about 3am tomorrow morning so not much time for the forecast to change now :)

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Have a good trip SHROPS...lets hope the forecasters have it correct. UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Looks like it's raining all day and for a bit tomorrow.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:49 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:With that forecast the match should go ahead. The problem on Tuesday was that the rain started at about 4.00pm and was much heavier than forecast. The timing was crucial and I wasn't surprised when it was called off at around 6.00pm as the rain was then forecast to continue until around 9.00pm. If Saturday's forecast is correct the pitch will have had many hours to dry out and as it is in good condition the match will go ahead.

Thanks for that. The plan is to set off at about 3am tomorrow morning so not much time for the forecast to change now :)

3am :shock: Blimey, where do you live? Brill support that, much respect :wink:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:14 pm

A point apiece (1-1), with Edwards for us.

At least there should be a 5,000+ crowd with the Schools offer.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Not expecting the win will gladly take a point. Oldham are an improved side lately and even when struggling they beat us easily in the cup that nobody wanted.
Add that to it being a game with the schools offer which we nearly always play poor and lose the omens are not good.

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:10 am

From Dan Mole's twitter at 8:45am this morning

Daniel Mole‏ @Daniel__Mole 20m20 minutes ago
Pitch vertical-drained. Groundsman happy with condition this morning & no rain forecast until 3. Will update if needs be,see you all later

Looks like it's on then!
IT'S MATCHDAY! :D :D :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:24 am

The sun is shining brightly at the moment over Walsall.....pitch should be fine.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:46 am

saddla wrote:From Dan Mole's twitter at 8:45am this morning

Pitch vertical-drained. Groundsman happy with condition this morning & no rain forecast until 3. Will update if needs be,see you all later

Looks like it's on then!

Pitch vertical - that could make it tricky to play on! Prediction 1-1 with us scoring first (same as the opening game last season).

PT
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 am

This promises to be quite ugly. The type of game we come unstuck in.

0-0 with ten to go. We go for it, they score. So a 0-1 with Gerrard to eat a live rat and Ngoo to look a bit up for it but fade after Preston fairly nails him after 15 minutes.

4,850 with 652 'latics.

"That day when we beat these to go up under Sir Ray" to be mentioned 8,523 times in total.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Pheasey_Saddler wrote:
saddla wrote:From Dan Mole's twitter at 8:45am this morning

Looks like it's on then!

Pitch vertical - that could make it tricky to play on! Prediction 1-1 with us scoring first (same as the opening game last season).

Great, can we play with the slope then?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Starting line-up against Oldham Athletic:

Etheridge

Edwards
Laird
O'Connor
McCarthy

Chambers
O'Connell
Osbourne

Morris
Oztumer

Jackson

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Dobson, Randall-Hurren, Bakayoko, Roberts, Moussa, Makris

Gerrard starts for the Latics, Ngoo on their bench.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:47 pm

4-3 Walsall - Jackson, Morris, Baka and Laird

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Starting line-up against Oldham Athletic:

Etheridge

Edwards
Laird
O'Connor
McCarthy

Chambers
O'Connell
Osbourne

Morris
Oztumer

Jackson

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Dobson, Randall-Hurren, Bakayoko, Roberts, Moussa, Makris

Gerrard starts for the Latics, Ngoo on their bench.

No Preston, is he injured?

Don't feel comfortable with this game, Oldham are on a high currently, they are a bit of a bogey team for us, and with our defeat at the Wombles being a confidence drainer, also having slipped into the bottom half of the table again, and the 'dream' fast fading into oblivion, I think the team will be short on desire, slipping to another defeat at the hands of one of the poorer teams near the bottom.

Still, I deffo want us to win this one, possibly eeking out an uncomfortable 1-0 win in the dying seconds of a generally poor match.

UTS..............come on me babbies....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Early goal in deepest Lancashire ... Rochdale 0 Sheffield Utd 1 (5 min) ... EDIT now 0-2 (10 min)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Early goal in deepest Lancashire ... Rochdale 0 Sheffield Utd 1

Just need Bolton to come good as Scunny slowly slip away out of the running, and I can collect my ill gotten gains from a rich betting shop and get my roof done at last haha!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Oldham down to 10 :shock:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Croft (Oldham Athetic) sent off, 16th minute........... :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Early goal in deepest Lancashire ... Rochdale 0 Sheffield Utd 1

Just need Bolton to come good as Scunny slowly slip away out of the running, and I can collect my ill gotten gains from a rich betting shop and get my roof done at last haha!

Bolton Wanderers seem to have read your script, Ancient .... They're 1-0 up at home to the Wombles, 15 min :D :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Rochdale 1 Sheffield Utd 2 now

Oxford Utd 0 Bristol Rovers 1

Bury 0 Gillingham 1 (18 min)

Millwall 1 M K Dons 0 (23 min)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Rochdale 1 Sheffield Utd 2 now

Oxford Utd 0 Bristol Rovers 1

Bury 0 Gillingham 1 (18 min)

Unexpected scoreline! The Gills were currently on a terrible run.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Bradford City 1 Peterborough Utd 0 (26 min)

M K Dons equalise at Millwall ... 1-1 now

Northampton Town 1 Charlton Athletic 0

34 minutes, and we've just had our first shot on target, followed by our first corner........

vorny

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:38 pm

How have we not scored yet :shock: :shock:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Typical though innit, earlier this season Oldham couldn't buy a win, now when it's our turn to play 'em, they are playing like world beaters, even with 10 men, the stats have 'em well in charge.
Come on me babbies let's put them in their place, we can WIN this one!!!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:40 pm

vorny wrote:How have we not scored yet :shock: :shock:

By all the reports, we are certainly having more of the play since their red card, but nothing of much accuracy!!! Oldham just had a yellow card to add to their red.....

Remember us (with 10 men) at home to Bolton Wanderers? :mrgreen:

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season