Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) Tuesday Mar 7th, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Chesterfield (H) Tuesday Mar 7th, 7.45pm

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:57 am

We welcome the Spireites to fortress Banks's for this Pancake Day meeting. Way back in August when we came away from their ProAct Stadium having suffered a 2-0 defeat, Chesterfield were sitting proudly on top of League One - but a horrible run of form in recent months has seen them slide inexorably down the table and they're currently bottom but one, effectively 9 points from safety if goal difference is taken into account. It's hard to put the entire blame on manager Gary Caldwell as he was only appointed in January this year following the sacking of Danny Wilson, but there has to be something deeply worrying about Chesterfield's striking capabilities at present when you consider that in their last 12 games they've only managed to score 4 goals. Part of that specific problem may be the intermittent appearances of Ched Evans (who, you will remember, scored both goals against us in August) - in their most recent 5 games he's only figured twice, and then only as a substitute. I don't have any reliable information as to whether it's injury or personal issues as far as he is concerned. Chesterfield's recent League One form:

4 Feb Oldham Athletic (H) Lost 0-1
11 Feb Northampton Town (A) Lost 3-1
14 Feb Gillingham (A) Drew 1-1
18 Feb Bury (H) Lost 1-2
21 Feb Millwall (A) Drew 0-0
25 Feb Oxford United (H) Lost 0-4

After seeing our positive run stutter at AFC Wimbledon, Jon Whitney will no doubt be keen to get us back on the path of looking to sneak a play-off place, and our home form is encouraging in that respect. However, he will have to bear in mind that it probably will be counter-productive to lump high balls into the Chesterfield penalty area when we probably have a midget going for them, and their current goalkeeper (Thorsten Stuckmann) stands at 6'6" ........ the Spireites are unusually well-endowed with goalkeepers, sporting 5 on their books plus Matt Duke as goalkeeper player/coach.

The team that Jon Whitney selects for Tuesday will have one or two changes from our last meeting with Chesterfield - we know that Florent Cuvelier is unavailable through injury, and Andreas Makris (who played for the whole game in August) seems to have vanished into the long grass. Franck Moussa, who figured for 69 minutes, is unlikely to last that long even if called upon. Erhun Oztumer didn't play at Chesterfield, having been substituted in our previous match at Oldham Athletic. However, with Kieron Morris settling in to some serious game time alongside the Turkish Messi, I confidently (?) predict a home win for this one, even if it's only 1-0 - with Bakayoko remembering where the net is. Part of my reasoning behind a low expectation is the fact that only a week ago Chesterfield went to Millwall and kept a very unexpected clean sheet. We shall see........

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Chesterfield (H) Tuesday Feb 28, 7.45pm

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:26 am

I will not be attending this match for legal reasons.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:59 pm

We have a habit of bringing other teams runs however bad to an end.Not this time.
3.0 to us Makris coming off the bench to score the 3rd.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:13 pm

leics_saddler wrote:I will not be attending this match for legal reasons.

You got a banning order then? :lol: Or you got a tag?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:59 pm

saddla wrote:

He was the secret third guy in the Ched Evans case

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Very dark days for Spireites if a 5 minute nosey at the board is anything to go by.

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=3

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:01 pm

A 2-0 home win (Jackson, Morris) in front of 3,905, including 276 Spireites.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:18 pm

I think we will get a good win after saturday's result. 3-0 with jackson morris and edwards getting the goals :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Would like us to win this one outstandingly, 5-0 would do! After they outplayed us and utterly humiliated us at their place back at the start of the season.

But, Walsall always fail to capitalise on weaker opposition, Wimbledon were obviously 'there for the taking' but we put in one of 'those' performances and it all went pear shaped.

Many believe that the season is over, but, if we were to win all our remaining games ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and the tipsters choice to do a 'Barnsley', Oxford & Brizzle Rovers, were to lose all their remaining matches as well, we could sneak a place in the play off's (and then crumble in the first play off round to the likes of Millwall etc).

On a serious note, to prove to us fans that the recent run (bar notloB) was down to more than slices of luck, we MUST get 6 points out of Evansfield & Oldham, anything else will be a complete let down, and the team will look very frail, and VERY foolish. We'll see...................................................

Come on me babbies, as they say in Early Doors, "I wish I was there"!

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Don't expect a walkover. I expect a disappointing draw. Can we really make it 5 wins on the bounce at home?

After the Blades keeper gifted us two goals, Northampton missing an injury time penalty, and Oztumer's dubious corner against Posh in injury time, surely we are due some bad luck and frustration at the Bezzla?

Be interesting if there are any changes at all from Saturday.

Over at Chesterfield looks like Caldwell has gone full Dicky Dosh and told the fans to cheer or stay away. After not registering a win in his first seven attempts, they may be a little foolhardy, or perhaps he has a developed a real thirst for redundancy pay-offs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39106437

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:56 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Would like us to win this one outstandingly, 5-0 would do! After they outplayed us and utterly humiliated us at their place back at the start of the season.

But, Walsall always fail to capitalise on weaker opposition, Wimbledon were obviously 'there for the taking' but we put in one of 'those' performances and it all went pear shaped.

Many believe that the season is over, but, if we were to win all our remaining games ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and the tipsters choice to do a 'Barnsley', Oxford & Brizzle Rovers, were to lose all their remaining matches as well, we could sneak a place in the play off's (and then crumble in the first play off round to the likes of Millwall etc).

On a serious note, to prove to us fans that the recent run (bar notloB) was down to more than slices of luck, we MUST get 6 points out of Evansfield & Oldham, anything else will be a complete let down, and the team will look very frail, and VERY foolish. We'll see...................................................

Come on me babbies, as they say in Early Doors, "I wish I was there"!

Are their fans still laughing at Walsall you reckon AM or are they searching for a spare fiver down the back of the Sofa to keep them in existence.

TBF the difference earlier in the season was our friend Mr Evans who seems to have disappeared again...injured I presume. That and playing Kinsella-Dobson at CM which thankfully hasn't been repeated.

Early goal and this should be a comfortable win....2-0.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:30 pm

The team that played at Chesterfield was our weakest of the season so I would expect something better tomorrow but football is unpredictable thank goodness! Incidentally I don't go along with this rubbish that our 5 victories were down to luck. They were all well earned by hardworking displays laced with no little skill.

UTS Legend

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:25 am

I was at the game in August, and surely we can improve on that. 2-0 would be nice, but we do tend to struggle against so-called 'weaker' teams. On the other hand, we have been winning matches at home - something of a rarity in recent seasons.

I'll go for 2-0 and a crowd of 4001.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:03 pm

0-0 WRITTEN ALL OVER IT :(

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 pm

We will lose.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:10 pm

scott_powell wrote:
saddla wrote:

He was the secret third guy in the Ched Evans case

I can't elaborate on either of those statements for legal reasons. :wink:

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Should win against a very poor side who cannot score so will be the nomal result when we play teams like this a defeat probably conceding 2 or 3 goals.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Cheesebag wrote:0-0 WRITTEN ALL OVER IT :(

Ditto

& in front of less than 3,500

LEE75

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:26 pm

4-0 win to the saddlers tonight.. how's that for positivity !!. Come on lads lets give these spireites lot some Walsall leather.
Bouncebackability needed after Saturday but I for one believe in JW and our team. UTS !!

longdogs
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Its off.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:33 pm

Confirmed off on WM.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Didn't see that coming until around 6.00pm when the forecast rain was much worse than anticipated....perhaps its a blessing in disguise.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:11 pm

fudge me have we temporarily employed the fleetwood ground staff :?

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Where were the northern contingent who usually come on a thread 4 days before a game and say it will certainly 100% be off??

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:45 pm

Can't go on their computers until they have dried out due to all the rain!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:47 pm

chunkster wrote:fudge me have we temporarily employed the fleetwood ground staff :?

Perhaps we should employ that young groundsman from Cyprus, local reports say he is worth a punt! :lol:

If we can't get him perhaps you are right chunkster, we should do a transfer (in the next window) of a couple of the lads from Fleetwood! But make sure non of 'em are young, or play footy and know where the back of the net is!

Was looking forward to following the match tonight, now all I have to look forward too, is Holby, where they only employ gays it would appear, if not, they certainly ram down our throats the ones that are! Sometimes it's about hostipal work. :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Gripper wrote:Where were the northern contingent who usually come on a thread 4 days before a game and say it will certainly 100% be off??

Couldn't get to my computer, too much snow and rain up in these there parts! :) :)

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chunkster wrote:fudge me have we temporarily employed the fleetwood ground staff :?

Perhaps we should employ that young groundsman from Cyprus, local reports say he is worth a punt! :lol:

If we can't get him perhaps you are right chunkster, we should do a transfer (in the next window) of a couple of the lads from Fleetwood! But make sure non of 'em are young, or play footy and know where the back of the net is!

Was looking forward to following the match tonight, now all I have to look forward too, is Holby, where they only employ gays it would appear, if not, they certainly ram down our throats the ones that are! Sometimes it's about hostipal work. :lol: :lol:
HOLBY? i will send a rope and a ladder post haste :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

*shudder* :mrgreen:

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Gripper wrote:Where were the northern contingent who usually come on a thread 4 days before a game and say it will certainly 100% be off??

Couldn't get to my computer, too much snow and rain up in these there parts! :) :)

Haha, snowed for about a minute here at lunchtime. Stay safe northerners!

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season