Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Wimbledon (A) League One, 25th Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

AFC Wimbledon (A) League One, 25th Feb 3pm

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:45 pm

For those Saddlers' supporters planning on making the trip to the Kingsmeadow Ground, the message is "make the most of it" - because in a couple of years the Wombles will probably have moved. Planning permission has been granted for a new stadium nearer to their spiritual home of Plough Lane, the exact site still to be determined, but it may well be the Greyhound Racing Stadium - initial capacity of 11,000 with the option to expand to 22,000 at a cost of £100 million puts the current Kingsmeadow Ground (capacity 4,850) somewhat in the shade. Kingsmeadow, incidentally (currently shared with Kingstonian) will still function as a football ground but its new owners will apparently be Chelski, who will use it for their Youth and Ladies' teams.

Having said that, what about the game this Saturday? It has to be said that AFC Wimbledon are currently going through a bit of a rough patch without a win in their last 7 games, including being dumped out of the replayed F.A. Cup at home by Sutton United. There is a 6 points difference in our favour in the League One table, although Wimbledon do have a game in hand, and it should be remembered that in Lyle Taylor and Dominic Poleon they have a couple of strikers well able to overcome any shortcomings our defence may have on the day. Current League One form:

21 Jan Chesterfield (A) Drew 0-0
4 Feb Sheffield United (A) Lost 4-0
11 Feb Charlton Athletic (H) Drew 1-1
14 Feb Coventry City (H) Drew 1-1
18 Feb Shrewsbury Town (A) Lost 2-1
21 Feb Gillingham (A) Drew 2-2

By comparison, although AFC Wimbledon haven't won in their last 7 games, we haven't lost in our last 7 (if you draw a discrete veil over the Bolton Wanderers aberration) - and Jon Whitney's only problem in selecting his strongest XI for Saturday is whether to go with the same starters he used against Peterborough United. That would seem to be the logical choice rather than shuffling the pack but even though the performance was as pleasing as the result, it would be much better for everyone's pulse rate if we could score before the 92nd minute......

It's possibly frustrating for some players that our defence has been so solid and injury-free recently, as I bet Laird is champing at the bit for some game time, and the same might be said for Randall-Hurren in terms of a Loan player wanting to contribute. As for Andreas Makris.....who knows? :?

We played the Wombles in our opening game this season, winning 3-1 with goals from Oztumer and Jackson(2) - a repeat of that would do me nicely. Regrettably I shall not be able to follow this game (and annoy multitudes of people with constant updates!) as I shall be at an event in the Science Museum, not too far away from the Saddlers' action, but I look forward to catching up with events later on Saturday evening.

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: AFC Wimbledon (A) League One, 25th Feb 3pm

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:11 pm

cheers welsh
i am going with a 1-2 win with jackson and oz on the score sheet for us :)

SWS11
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 pm

What is this science event that is keeping you away from watching The Mighty Saddlers, Welsh? It must be your award of the Nobel Prize for Saddlers' Soccer Analysis at the very least :mrgreen: . Either that or free scratchings and Balti pies at the Science Museum. The second is highly improbable, so it must be the first. Congratulations. As they say, anything is possible in the alternative universe that is characteristic of supporting The Mighty Saddlers. :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:24 pm

SWS11 wrote:What is this science event that is keeping you away from watching The Mighty Saddlers, Welsh? It must be your award of the Nobel Prize for Saddlers' Soccer Analysis at the very least :mrgreen: . Either that or free scratchings and Balti pies at the Science Museum. The second is highly improbable, so it must be the first. Congratulations. As they say, anything is possible in the alternative universe that is characteristic of supporting The Mighty Saddlers. :mrgreen:

To quote from the ticket I printed off the web ... "Celebrate International Cochlear Implant Day & World Hearing Day!"

As I'm now officially on the waiting list for a CI, having met all the criteria and assessments, any and all research may well be beneficial. Only two things stand between me and the implant - (1) The Surgeon's schedule, and (2) The funding question. As the operation is calculated to run out at around £40,000 each individual procedure has to have funding applied for, and the loosening of the NHS purse strings can take time - I'll be fortunate if it happens before Christmas apparently....... :?

UTS :D

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:33 pm

I HOPE IT ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:41 pm

WarsawPact wrote:I HOPE IT ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU.

I HOPE SO, TOO

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:17 am

Good luck Welshie!
I'm waiting for an appointment for an operation to repair my eardrum. they're going to remove some outer ear cartilage and graft it over the rather large hole in my eardrum,. They recon it will be the end of may early June. Hopefully after the playoff finals! :lol:
Not looking forward to the op but it will be great to hear in both ears again!

On topic. Got my ticket to the match on Saturday. Time to get a long winning streak going!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:55 am

Pedagogue wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:I HOPE IT ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU.

I HOPE SO, TOO

You cheeky lot.

As an aside, a couple of my wonderful wife's birthday presents for me last week were custom T-shirts, thus.......

(1) Plain blue, with the legend "PARDON?"

(2) Plain red, with the following:

"I'm deaf, but not stupid
I'm old, but not demented
I support Walsall
....okay, I'm deranged"

UTS :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 pm

I'd be happy with a point from this one, to be honest.

1-1 with Morris equalising for us halfway through the second half, in front of 4,587, including 518 Saddlers (new ground and all that).

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote: it would be much better for everyone's pulse rate if we could score before the 92nd minute......

I don't know about that. Scoring on 92 minutes led to a better results than scoring after 4 at Bolton! :mrgreen:

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:34 pm

A really tight game this??

ATT: 4348 (432 SADDLERS)

1-1

Wimbledon
Rhys Weston

Walsall
Peter Sweeney

UTS

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Late news from the AFC Wimbledon camp - captain Barry Fuller will miss the rest of the season, having sustained a pectoral muscle injury - he will be undergoing surgery this weekend. According to boss Neal Ardley "This will put him out for more than 5 months. He will be greatly missed."

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:04 am

Flo out until April apparently so hope Morris can push on and make himself a regular starter. Be good to see his name on the score sheet again this week.

A bit cliché, but this is the sort of game we need 3pts from if we're serious about a play-off push. Going for a hard fought 0-1 with a worldy from Morris and Etheridge saving a pen in the 85th! We can't do anything the easy way. :lol:

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks Welsh (and others) for the very entertaining , if not somewhat scientific & medically biased input... :?

Ref the game itself I think we will be in good form for this one and I reluctantly predict a very fine result! :shock:

I'm still trying to fit this one in around other long-standing commitments down in the South East and hope to be there but either way I'm going for a 1-3 victory with Ozzy in for a couple and Morris adding another for us

Attendance: 4426 with 409 hardy Saddlers witnessing the event :)

NortonSaddler

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Apparently we've sold just over 500. Factor in pay on the day and we'll probably have about 600-650.

We'll make a racket in that tiny away terrace along the touchline. UTS

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:31 pm

I see a loss heading our way.

2-0 to The real dons.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:33 pm

NortonSaddler wrote:Apparently we've sold just over 500. Factor in pay on the day and we'll probably have about 600-650.

We'll make a racket in that tiny away terrace along the touchline. UTS

That would be a good following, perhaps there are more of us about who think 'believe' and that we may, may, end up doing a Barnsley, however, for that to happen we have to rely on those above us either playing each other on a regular basis or indeed having some rogue unexpected results! Stranger things have happened over the years, so you never know! :wink: :D

Come on me babbies.......................UTS
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:30 pm

coop63 wrote:Thanks Welsh (and others) for the very entertaining , if not somewhat scientific & medically biased input... :?

Ref the game itself I think we will be in good form for this one and I reluctantly predict a very fine result! :shock:

I'm still trying to fit this one in around other long-standing commitments down in the South East and hope to be there but either way I'm going for a 1-3 victory with Ozzy in for a couple and Morris adding another for us

Attendance: 4426 with 409 hardy Saddlers witnessing the event :)

Having just read the comments from JW on the E&S website, I might review my prediction!

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive about these things but as in most team most sports, this type of stuff gets intentionally spun by managers and staff so I just don't know why we make statements like 'we are a force to be reckoned with' on the eve of a game - it's simply fuel for the opposition, regardless of who it is! :roll:

I admit he's nothing but complimentary about the Dons and that's all very professional and appropriate but frankly, he should just say that stuff and leave it or at most, state we are going into the game well prepared for a tough afternoon (or similar...)

Revised prediction is 2-2 and us hanging on for the point (hope I'm completely wrong!) :?

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Looking forward to this one. Hoping they won't need to use the retractable roof.

Walsall to win 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:58 pm

AFC Wimbledon are advising people to allow plenty of time for travel as there are gas main works on the road outside the stadium!

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:Looking forward to this one. Hoping they won't need to use the retractable roof.

Walsall to win 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1

:D :D :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Fancy a 1-3 win.

Must defend better than at Bolton though.

Wimbledon are nowhere near as good but still have some giants upfront....that Tom Elliot guy on the opening day was one of the biggest forwards I'd ever seen.

Do that well and I think Walsall will nick it as Wimbledon been in poor form recently.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:39 am

This is a very telling game as I believe it will determine the rest of the season.
We must win to have any aspirations of the play-offs.
If we lose then we aren't good enough and we will end up 11th or 12th.

Hoping for 3 points.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:17 am

Horrible feeling about this game.

Suspect the strawberries will have too much icing sugar dusting, even prior to the cream being added.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:25 am

Have a bad feeling about this one.

They signed Tom Soares at the end of transfer window. His last act for Bury was his 90th minute equaliser against us. He caused us a bit of bother all game.

Bumpy pitch, could make our quick passing on the counter difficult. Mind it may only need to come off a couple of times.

Some goals. Congrats to those supporters making the trip and chalking off a new/old ground.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Unchanged team and 18 again...UTS

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:29 pm

0-0 after 26 minutes.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:30 pm

WE are 40-15 down on fouls! Have we gone all mamby pamby again?
Sounds like 'paint drying' excitement.

One positive that will come out of todays clash....we can't go any lower than 12th.

And Coventry, Oh dear, looking like they will join Pompy & Blackpool in the 4th Division as the home of former giants. :oops:

WE have to win this one or the dream is over, all results not going our way at all!

Is there anybody out there??

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:49 pm

HT 0-0. We've had a goal disallowed, and Jackson has missed a one-on-one.

Fleetwood's incredible run continues- live table has them up to second.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Yes I am here AM listening to WM's rubbish coverage. Poor game so far in difficult conditions...lets hope for better in the 2nd half.

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season