Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough Utd (H) League One, Feb 18th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Re: Peterborough Utd (H) League One, Feb 18th 3pm

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Certainly the warm sun.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:37 pm

That was a cracking game, Posh play some really neat stuff in fairness and although we rode our luck at times again, all of our players did well today.
I wouldn't have been upset with nil nil so once delighted with the win.

Special mention to Matt Preston who all of a sudden seems to have developed into a quality defender. Credit to Sharps maybe?

[url][/http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/10773508/walsall-2-0-peterborough][/url]

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:46 pm

As Codsall said. That was fun. In fact just read Codsalls post. I think what he said.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:58 pm

Cracking result and as said by many already, nice to see both teams trying to play football the right way (until they lost the plot anyway!)

Great performances from most today and I'm not trying to be negative here but with a potent striker I believe we would be genuine contenders this season because the league is generally poor overall and most defences we've encountered this season have been quite dodgy (certainly nothing impenetrable that's for sure..)

We are looking hard to beat and just don't seem to give in to teams which is great to see - the current run of home form is impressive to say the least and the four goals conceded v Notlob detract from what has been a superb couple of months really..

Long may it continue - UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:07 am

Is League one really that bad?

I've been critical of the standard last few seasons but imo it's of a higher standard than last season...the teams at the top are better than Burton I reckon.

You've also got Millwall taking out premier league teams in the cup and they also have the best front 4 strikers in the division and yet they can't get in the top 6.

Maybe credit to Walsall who can go to Millwall and comfortably get a 0-0 which said premier league teams can't.

Things are coming together nicely know and much quicker than I envisaged, I thought they'd be a good run in March-April rather than from the middle of January.

Still think the team will come up a bit short but that's really due to the slow start to the season....1 win in the opening 8 games from what was an easy start to the season.

Think this will be similar to Smith's 12/13...storming second half of the season run that just falls short of top 6.

UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 am

All the action from the Banks's. (Well, the goals anyway.)

https://youtu.be/pSsmjZwnDns

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:28 am

Great work Guest - also great work to the blokes in the crowd giving their players heaps!

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks for that Guest, Was that a handball by Bakayoko? I was at the match and initially thought it was a fumble by the keeper.

Not sure but who cares :D

UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:05 am

Fumble by the goalkeeper? Foul by Bakayoko? Goal by Oztumer? Probably all of them. :D

Their defender seemed to react in slow motion for the second goal.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:40 am

The ball didn't go straight in, it seemed to deflect up then dropped into the net.
Baka's hand or the keepers? The Boro manager says the keeper fumbled it, so we should go with that!

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/match-reaction-mccann-furious-at-his-team-s-ill-discipline-1-7828495

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:25 am

Definitely a fumble by the keeper - he made a right pigs ear of it.

Goal should be credited to Baka, it appears to hit him and squeeze in through a narrow gap while their keeper was busy trying to foul Baka

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:33 am

philthesaddler wrote:Definitely a fumble by the keeper - he made a right pigs ear of it.

Goal should be credited to Baka, it appears to hit him and squeeze in through a narrow gap while their keeper was busy trying to foul Baka

Agree with that - maybe they should agree between themselves that the next one of em to score gets the credit for this goal - bit of added motivation - and a bag of scratchings thrown in it it's from a corner :D

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:41 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Is League one really that bad?

I've been critical of the standard last few seasons but imo it's of a higher standard than last season...the teams at the top are better than Burton I reckon.

You've also got Millwall taking out premier league teams in the cup and they also have the best front 4 strikers in the division and yet they can't get in the top 6.

Maybe credit to Walsall who can go to Millwall and comfortably get a 0-0 which said premier league teams can't.

Things are coming together nicely know and much quicker than I envisaged, I thought they'd be a good run in March-April rather than from the middle of January.

Still think the team will come up a bit short but that's really due to the slow start to the season....1 win in the opening 8 games from what was an easy start to the season.

Think this will be similar to Smith's 12/13...storming second half of the season run that just falls short of top 6.

Probably generally agree with you but in fairness I said the league was poor (not completely crap so to speak) - I guess what I mean is that apart from a screaming start from Scunny and the amazing run that Fleetwood are on, there's no real out and out high quality being shown week in week out...

It's like we've said for years I suppose - it's not a team of stars needed to get out of this division but more a squad that give solid performances week in week out (avoiding injuries helps too!) interestingly I read some feedback from Posh fans on their local rag forum and they were saying exactly the same thing so it's probably no surprise that the teams that met yesterday are only a point apart in the league!!

UTS

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:21 am

Watching the video it was pretty dire defending which lead to our second

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:03 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Definitely a fumble by the keeper - he made a right pigs ear of it.

I said at the time that I thought it bounced off Baka's head and a couple of guys near me said the same.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:31 pm

What a great win! Nature called and I checked out of watching Sky Sports as the scores started to come in: 0 - 0, obviously. Back for the final scores and we've won 2 - 0 ! Couldn't believe it but loved it! :D .
I've been saying all season that, given the loss of, arguably, our five best players at the end of last year, we've been doing OK and that Whitters is doing OK, too: at the start of the season I'd have been happy with safety-by-Easter. Well, we're clearly doing much better than that and the manager and his management team must be given a lot of credit for that, along with the players, of course, who are proving a lot of people wrong. True we'd probably be doing even better with an incisive striker on board and a(nother?) commanding centre half, just like almost every other team in the league. That's like saying the government could do with another few trillion pounds to solve some of our political and social problems or commenting on the statistical probability of bears relieving themselves in bosky sylvan glades.
I think we'm doin great! :D EXCELSIOR!
UTS

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Oh, and by the way, after many seasons of being the holier-than-thou team almost always out-fouled by the opposition, is it my imagination or have we become just a little bit meaner/tougher in our approach? :?:

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:19 pm

I think that's a lot to do with O'Connell and Preston helping O'Connor out, I think there'll be a lot of humble pie eaten by some fans where Preston's conserned in the future.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Decent crowd and atmosphere too. The three sections of singers managed to sing the same song on at least a couple of occassions as well.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:52 pm

If anything it was a foul by their keeper. Baka jumps early and straight up. The keeper jumps out and into him and makes a complete hash of his punch.

But having said that, I am used to refs giving fouls to keepers for any contact, no matter whether or not the keeper is making the foul.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:59 pm

A well deserved win in a good end to end game. We had best chances but as usual failed to take them until our late show.Well done to team and good subs by Whitney.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:18 pm

THINGS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN SAID BEFORE IN HISTORY BY ANYONE, EVER...

From the Posh forum:

"Oh and classy by Oztumer to wind up the away fans as he left the pitch. Nice respect for the club who plucked you from obscurity and gave you your chance to chase the cash at Walsall" !!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Another decent advert for League One football. Both sides playing a passing game, first-half real end to end stuff at times. However, the dead-ball produce was woeful. We couldn't take a corner for toffee (until the 94th minute) and their free kicks were laughable.

Always been worried about what happens to this team set-up without Osbourne as he's so influential, but was really impressed with Dobson's cameo yesterday. He proper made his mark on the game. Involved in the killer goal (much like Sheff U) and making a physical impact when needed. He gave Grant a substantive clattering, which is no mean feat.

Enjoyed seeing Morris get the nod for Flo. I prefer him all day long. Will get caught on the ball more, but with one of Chambers, Osbourne, Edwards or McCarthy always nearby it isn't a problem. Offers so much more going forward. The ball out to McCarthy in the first half was magic. Didn't really have his best shooting boots on, but he had three good pops at goal which on another day would have put us in front. His goal was just deserts.

Preston would have been a clear MoM if his passing had been better. No one really did enough to standout for a crate of Banks's. Just a solid team performance.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:02 pm

WarsawPact wrote:THINGS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN SAID BEFORE IN HISTORY BY ANYONE, EVER...

From the Posh forum:

"Oh and classy by Oztumer to wind up the away fans as he left the pitch. Nice respect for the club who plucked you from obscurity and gave you your chance to chase the cash at Walsall" !!!

Bloody hell it must have been posted by someone with learning difficulties :lol:

PT
Site Addict

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:00 am

WarsawPact wrote:THINGS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN SAID BEFORE IN HISTORY BY ANYONE, EVER...

From the Posh forum:

I kind of agree but I don't think people realise how much we (for us!) pushed the boat out last summer. The likes of Oztumer, Jackson, Moussa, Flo, Osbourne won't be being paid in washers and on top of that we bost our transfer record for Makris. Then on top of that, our loanees have nearly all come from clubs above us in the pyramid.

This is why Whitney had a financial "leg up" versus the early Smith years and hence the frustration when for four months he didn't seem to have a clue what to do with the players he had assembled at quite a high (for us) expense. Thankfully, from Sheffield United on, he has found a formula that is yielding results and I think we're all enjoying it. Fair play to him.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:47 am

I think that full credit should be given to the Posh manager for the manner in which he accepted the defeat. I wish other managers would be so gracious and correct!

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Totally agree Pedagogue. Sportsmanship should always have a place in the game.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Like others I was apprehensive about Dobson replacing Osbourne, but it worked well. I thought that Morris came more into the game after the substitution, because Dobson played right side and seemed to stick to that position whereas Osbourne was all over and possibly cramped Morris. When Osbourne came off, then Morris was more involved.

Quick thought about next season, anyone else think that Morris could play the left wing back position with Edwards moving to the right?

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Pedagogue wrote:I think that full credit should be given to the Posh manager for the manner in which he accepted the defeat. I wish other managers would be so gracious and correct!

Agree with this have read what he said and he is that rare breed a honest manager could easily have made excuses or blamed ref but said it as he saw it his own players let him down.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Another excellent home win against another decent side.

UTS :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season