Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough Utd (H) League One, Feb 18th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Peterborough Utd (H) League One, Feb 18th 3pm

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:97 minutes, and it's 2-0 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
unbelievable jeff :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Blimus!

Has to be one for the record books.....two goals both in injury time!! yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Blimus!

Has to be one for the record books.....two goals both in injury time!! yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Memories of Claude Gnapka????? :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Similar game to last season? Pretty sure there was two late goals in that one.

Unbeaten in 8 games v Posh now. :shock:

Any win at this stage is a very good 3 points given the games are running out.

Still a big ask but you can't rule top 6 when there's only 4 points different.

Going to be a fun end of season....pretty much a free hit for Whitney given Walsall are safe with 3 months of the season still left.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:12 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Similar game to last season? Pretty sure there was two late goals in that one.

Unbeaten in 8 games v Posh now. :shock:

Any win at this stage is a very good 3 points given the games are running out.

Still a big ask but you can't rule top 6 when there's only 4 points different.

Going to be a fun end of season....pretty much a free hit for Whitney given Walsall are safe with 3 months of the season still left.
Are we mathematical safe?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Not if Walsall pick up 2 points from the last 39...think 48 points will be enough this season.

Are we running down the bookies for a bet Chunky? :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:21 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Not if Walsall pick up 2 points from the last 39...think 48 points will be enough this season.

Are we running down the bookies for a bet Chunky? :mrgreen:
:lol: no i have lost enough this bloody weekend, i mean come on Burnley and man city ffs :mrgreen:

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Wasn't expecting anything as the game went on as they lumped the pressure on us! Great result.

I've never really brought into the comments on here this season about it being a poor league but if posh were 8th at the start of today then I fully agree - awful side.

Hopefully get a point or thee next week too.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:01 pm

What happened after Oztumer scored, following BBC it seems Posh totally lost it?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Wragbyred wrote:What happened after Oztumer scored, following BBC it seems Posh totally lost it?

Listened to WM and they were on about the keeper and one of the defenders pushing each other after a mix up while it was 0-0.

Could've been a follow up to that....the Ozzy goal was apparently similar to the one he scored v Sloppies.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Just got back in - phew!

There was a time where we'd have lost a 100 minute humdinger like that.
So you've got to credit everyone for that for start off.
It's a shame that all anyone will talk about will be injury time because the game before it was excellent.
Two good third division sides playing well and going hard at it - in spite of a rather fussy official.

Everyone played well, apart from McCarthy who was outstanding - again!
How on earth we can hope to replace him next season is going to be our biggest problem (unless we win the play offs)

Couldn't tell you about the first goal other than there was a tricky near post corner from the right (opposite side from me)
The keeper wasn't authoritative and some melee ensued where a goal was scored somehow.
In the excitement of the injury time winner, I didn't get a clear view other than the original melee continued on the far side under the linesman's nose.
I've no idea what Forrester was sent off for.
I did see the Morris goal where his persistence paid off in following up on his earlier lay off to Edwards.

A point of note before the match though: I did see Makris in full track kit skulking away from the stadium to the car park about 15 minutes before kick off.
He looked a quite dejected figure, and something doesn't look right there. Is he injured? Or just upset?

Anyway players:

Etheridge - sound, apart from his terrible kicking

O'Connor, O'Connell, Preston - all played very well, looked solid
McCarthy - outstading
Edwards, Chambers - excellent
Osbourne, Oztumer, Morris - all played generally well, some nice touches at times from all.

Jackson - better today. I know he has a languid style but he must have more conviction in his finishing.
Statistically he is brilliant - 4 shots, 3 on target, but that doesn't tell half the story,
It's a pity because his overall contribution and link up play was excellent.

Subs:

Dobson - played well
Bakayoko - not enough time to make too much impact, but looked good. I think he's benefited from a day off.
Moussa - must be exhausted after 2m of solid effort. Mrs Moussa may have to make other arrangements this evening.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:09 pm

I thought it was a really good even game which could have gone either way. Posh came to play and both teams had plenty of chances to score.I am not sure who scored our first goal which provoked the Posh so much,,,from the half way line it looked an og by the keeper to me. I presume the complaints were about a possible foul but it was given so it counts! We certainly battled to the end with McCarthy(again),Preston and O'Donnell outstanding.UTS

LEE75

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Fantastic game and fantastic result. McCarthy rightly so named MOTM.. thought Jackson worked his socks off and looked
really sharp. Great call by Jon with the substitution of Dobson who gave us drive and energy in the last 20
Mins.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:15 pm

I bet the folk that left early to get to Palfrey in under two hours, were a tad upset with what they missed! :mrgreen:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Yes, I'd forgotten about the their keeper and Smith fighting in the second half as well.
The keeper came out to collect and presumably shouted to Smith who virtually took the ball off him and cleared for a corner.
It's never a good sign when two of your own players are grabbing each other by the throat :mrgreen:

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:28 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Yes, I'd forgotten about the their keeper and Smith fighting in the second half as well.
The keeper came out to collect and presumably shouted to Smith who virtually took the ball off him and cleared for a corner.
It's never a good sign when two of your own players are grabbing each other by the throat :mrgreen:

Seemed to me like there was no call/ a late call from the keeper and that's why the clearance happened. The red I believe was for something said to the referee or his assistant in the protests over the goal. Frankly I was busy celebrating and Posh fans were busy walking out!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Good performance and match.

Was a little flaggergasted as to why Whitney took Osbourne off but I was made to eat my thoughts as I think that Dobson really did help to drive us on to be a little more direct and quicker in our passing.

Goal was definitely a goal. Bakayoko has jumped in front of the keeper, he gets unsighted and then drops it in the goal, minimal contact. Forrester then had a right go at the linesman, pointing and shouting things which ended up with him getting a second yellow.

Only disappointment for me was that it felt that we weren't really trying to go on and win the game in the final 20 minutes up until added time with far too many men back. Also my burger was burnt with the bun blacker than the black country skies on a workday :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:51 pm

I think their lad got sent off with a straight red, not a second yellow - and rightly so, the reaction of the posh players to the ref and linesman was unacceptable.

Intimidating the officials in any way should be an automatic red IMO and a 5 match ban.

As Whitney said, 7s and 8s all over the place today

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks for that Jonny...I thought it was an og.. I agreed with taking Osbourne off as he was clearly tiring. Dobson did well when he came on and helped over the line.

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Well, that was fun. Great game with two good sides and a result that we wouldn't have managed earlier in the year. Thought everyone played well against a decent team. McCarthy was excellent as were Chambers and Morris. For those asking about the first goal and subsequent melee, which was right in front of us, the ball came in from little Oz (as opposed to big Oz) and Bakayoko challenged the keeper as we scored. There is a chance that the ball was over the line even before he did that. The ref gave the goal and then consulted the linesman after Posh protests. The linesman confirmed the goal and Posh players lost it, none more so than Forrester, who gave the linesman an absolute foul mouthed barrage right to his face and continued to do so as he walked away. Straight red card was the only option, although I did learn some new words. Thought Morris deserved his goal for persistence.

Most bizarre incident was early in the game when their forward seemed to clear it off our line!!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Gripper wrote:Wasn't expecting anything as the game went on as they lumped the pressure on us! Great result.

I've never really brought into the comments on here this season about it being a poor league but if posh were 8th at the start of today then I fully agree - awful side.

Hopefully get a point or thee next week too.

Posh have plenty of good players who sides higher up the football pyramid would be happy to take.

I'd say their transfer strategy in the last 10 years would indicate this, plenty more Oztumers there. :wink:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Great win! keep at it and who knows!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:10 pm

"How on earth we can hope to replace him next season is going to be our biggest problem (unless we win the play offs)"
exactly what happened when we lost george evans :|
Last edited by chunkster on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Codsall Saddler wrote:Well, that was fun. Great game with two good sides and a result that we wouldn't have managed earlier in the year. Thought everyone played well against a decent team. McCarthy was excellent as were Chambers and Morris. For those asking about the first goal and subsequent melee, which was right in front of us, the ball came in from little Oz (as opposed to big Oz) and Bakayoko challenged the keeper as we scored. There is a chance that the ball was over the line even before he did that. The ref gave the goal and then consulted the linesman after Posh protests. The linesman confirmed the goal and Posh players lost it, none more so than Forrester, who gave the linesman an absolute foul mouthed barrage right to his face and continued to do so as he walked away. Straight red card was the only option, although I did learn some new words. Thought Morris deserved his goal for persistence.

Most bizarre incident was early in the game when their forward seemed to clear it off our line!!

Well I think that sums things up perfectly. Well done Codsall.

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:57 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Just got back in - phew

A point of note before the match though: I did see Makris in full track kit skulking away from the stadium to the car park about 15 minutes before kick off.
He looked a quite dejected figure, and something doesn't look right there. Is he injured? Or just upset.

I wouldn't say he looked dejected when I saw him heading towards to car park. Saw him going back into the club a few minutes later with a woolly hat in his hand.

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Very good game. Enjoyable because of the result. Good solid performances all round. My MOTM was Matt Preston. Credit to Peterborough who made a match of it. Their beastie boy up top was really good except for a wild free kick or two.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Another excellent game and tireless performance from Whitney's men who thoroughly deserved the three points today, As on Tuesday, we matched the opposition toe to toe for effort and commitment and yet another good performance from Chambers who I had written off earlier in the season.

Looking forward to Wimbledon next week, I hope a few more make it than the couple of hundred of us at Scunthorpe.

:D

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:36 pm

The subs made an impact today in a close game

Baka gave a more physical presence than Jackson and no doubt distracted the keeper for the first goal in a way that Jackson wouldn't have.

Dobson brought a good energy and accuracy to the midfield and his run into the box and shot contributed to the second goal

Osbourne can't manage 3games a week and was looking a bit jaded towards the last third of the game

So it has to be said full credit to the manager for the selection and timing of the subs

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:55 pm

First goal, no comments on Channel 5 , but definitely og by keeper. No foul..
Loved the attitude of Jason Mccarthy. He loves playing and winning. According to Southampton newspaper he is unlikely to be offered a new contract.
Very enjoyable afternoon.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:05 pm

dajw_my_son wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:Just got back in - phew

He looked a quite dejected figure, and something doesn't look right there. Is he injured? Or just upset.

I wouldn't say he looked dejected when I saw him heading towards to car park. Saw him going back into the club a few minutes later with a woolly hat in his hand.

Oh, so he's just missing Cyprus then :)

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season