Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bolton Wanderers (A) Feb 11th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Bolton Wanderers (A) Feb 11th 3pm

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:26 am

Just seen the highlights...3rd goal shouldn't have been allowed as Madine elbowed it to Trotter. Ref or female linesman (what on earth happened to here :shock: ) should've spotted that.

O'Connell at fault for the 4th....great hit though.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:44 am

To be honest i can forgive the result, bolton were flattered by the scoreline and we didn't play that bad, but that's walsall, we have been on a great run with some good wins albeit some of them a little lucky.But again JW has shown his naivety in thinking that we can keep playing the same system without opposing managers working it out. But what i can't forgive is all his crowing during the transfer window with his phone supposedly being hotter than a lava rock on tenerife beach, and only signing a defender :? it is quite obvious that we needed strengthening up front :? backa is a good prospect but he was tired yesterday and there isn't anyone else to take up the mantle. It would be nice to at least have got in a tall strong player that could come in and play the system that JW thinks is successful while resting backa

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:55 am

Yeah it's Football.....the game in September Bolton had a million shots on target but Etheridge saved everything...yesterday they have 4 shots on target first half and scored three...funny old game.

As ever the response will be interesting....Scunthorpe are another very good team at this level but they just lost at home to Sloppies so can't be that good atm.

A few changes and I fancy a point from that.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:56 am

PT wrote:Not surprising but still disappointing none the less. Especially given the glorious start Oztumer gave us.

They did a number on us.

They stopped us doing the things we like doing and forced us to do things we hate.

The things we like doing as evidenced by who has been creating and scoring a lot of our goals is getting our wing backs forward. So Bolton played two widemen who stopped Jason and Joe getting forward. It meant we had effectively a back six if you include Chambers and from there you just can't get out and do anything meaningful going forward.

The thing we hate is defending crosses. So they peppered us and in some ways it became a "Paul Downing at Bradford" day for our three centre halves.

Given that they had a plan that wasn't overly cunning, it was hugely frustrating that Whitney persisted with the personnel and formation they had an absolute number on until there were less than 15 minutes to go. Bordering on stupid.

Baka hasn't been on top form for a few weeks now. Today he reached a low. Not his fault. He needs a break and again Whitney only using him for Checkatrade was a waste at the start of the campaign, he's killing the lad now with too much game time. Bordering on stupid.

This is the next challenge for Whitney. He masterminded (let's be nice) a successful way for us about a month ago. Opposition manager's will have clocked it and will now counter it. They will have also clocked how many we concede from crosses and will seek to exploit it. That happened today and he had nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I'm sure "we go again" and "believe" we can "put it right" on Tuesday. For me, it's all about preparing for next season and hope today makes us better and wiser.

Good post, I wasn't at the game so can't really comment.

I'm no fan of Whitney, but he deserves credit for improving the results over the past 2 months.

I agree about Baka - he's damaging the lad now keeping him in the side, he needs taking out of the firing line or giving him a striking partner to ease some of the pressure before his confidence is destroyed.

I'm disappointed JW has kept the same starting XI for some 5 or 6 games now? Yes it brings with it consistency - but it's not as though we've been playing that well, is it? The game at Millwall was poor, we barely created a thing, then against Bristol Rovers we looked leggy and rode our luck...if you're steam-rollering teams, then fair enough, keep the same starting XI - but if you're showing signs of tiredness, of low confidence, or over reliance on a particular player, then change it, freshen it up.

Regarding the formation, I'm no fan of the 352/532 that we play at the moment. It has it's positives in that it gives McCarthy and Edwards more freedom to attack, but IMO it has more cons than pros. The biggest con IMO is that you've always got a man over in the wrong part of the pitch. When you're enjoying lots of possession, and you're attacking...you've got 3 centre halves standing there doing not-a-lot, and you're a man short up front.

Conversely, when you're on the back foot, defending, struggling for possession, you've effectively got a flat-back-5, 3 midfielders who are either too narrow, or too far apart because 2 of them are covering the wings...and you've no out-ball to the wing. Even if you're lucky enough to hit your big man upfront, he needs to hold it up (which Baka really struggles to do atm), and he's going to then look to stretch the opposition, which he can't because there's no width, because you're width is still at the back defending.

Granted, Chelsea make this formation look great, but they have Kante, who is an amazing player - (saw a stat the other day, he's made the most tackles and interceptions in the Premier League in the last 3 seasons...but has only been playing here for 2!) and the likes of Hazard, and probably the best hold-the-ball-up forward in the world in Costa.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm sure they'll be changes for Tuesday Phil, probably a good time to do it now after a heavy defeat.

I doubt Flo or Osbourne will be risked as I think it's sensible to keep them fresh for the more winnable Posh game which will be more open and more of a football contest.

I'd bring in Laird, Morris and Jackson.

They are after all three of the best players of the club.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 pm

no makris either.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:23 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:I'm sure they'll be changes for Tuesday Phil, probably a good time to do it now after a heavy defeat.

I doubt Flo or Osbourne will be risked as I think it's sensible to keep them fresh for the more winnable Posh game which will be more open and more of a football contest.

Presumably not allowed to play??

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Gripper wrote:I had a great view of the Flo chance...wasnt over the line. Their defender cleared it whilst standing behind the line - great clearance.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:I'm sure they'll be changes for Tuesday Phil, probably a good time to do it now after a heavy defeat.

Presumably not allowed to play??

Indeed you're right.

Or could play him and take the 3-0 defeat rather than lose 4-1 without. :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 pm

What's the betting that he puts out the same team, despite the fact that Baka wouldn't get into the squad at Shelfield girls under 11's ! Didn't make it yesterday, and somehow glad I didn't, even though I got a good ribbing from the numerous Bolton fans at the family gathering as the numerous goals went in!
Not going to Scunny either, waste of time, another hammering without doubt.
The dream is over, long live the dream, lets get a PROPER striker in for next season...PLEASE!
I just want to go to away matches again without always expecting us to lose automatically (last season spoilt us all a bit!)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:11 pm

killers left foot wrote:no makris either.

Can anyone in the know fill us in as to his whereabouts, is he a gonna?

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:58 pm

I went to game not expecting to get anything after losing last 2 home games they were going to stop the rot but ended up being disapointed how we did lose.
First 2 goals from corners with Etheridge glued to his line he really is becoming dracula and defence look as if no longer trusting him.
Third goal handball players stopped for foul Bolton did not, lineswoman got it wrong.
Bolton did their homework stopping our fullbacks and so our main attacking threat , they also played high balls into our area knowing our weakness. this game showed Whitney had no idea how to change a game and although obvious changes needed to be made did nothing until fans stated chanting.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 am

reedswood sadler wrote:I went to game not expecting to get anything after losing last 2 home games they were going to stop the rot but ended up being disappointed how we did lose.
First 2 goals from corners with Etheridge glued to his line he really is becoming dracula and defence look as if no longer trusting him.
Third goal handball players stopped for foul Bolton did not, lineswoman got it wrong.
Bolton did their homework stopping our fullbacks and so our main attacking threat , they also played high balls into our area knowing our weakness. this game showed Whitney had no idea how to change a game and although obvious changes needed to be made did nothing until fans stated chanting.

Does that not say it all eh? The management at Walsall F.C. MUST realise that without a striker, very few teams ever get within 'striking' distance of success (see what I did there? :mrgreen: ) There HAS to be 'striker' quality out there in the lower leagues, many teams in the EFL have done the right thing, we never do. Mind you we don't have scouts, and when recommendations do come forth, they are completely ignored.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:07 am

Not too bothered about this loss. Was always going to be tough.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Rotate the lot on Tuesday, Randall and Morris in, Jackson in etc.

It all needs a bit of a freshen up.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Didn't feel like a 4-1 defeat to me on Saturday.But with Bolton and most other teams we are still vulnerable from corners and free kicks,this needs to be addressed for us to push on.(and where would we be without ozzy).Goal of the year contender.

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Gripper wrote:I had a great view of the Flo chance...wasnt over the line. Their defender cleared it whilst standing behind the line - great clearance.

Ah. I still don't think it went in. I don't reckon the full ball was over. To be fair no one around me seemed to think it had gone in either.

Anyway that's history now.

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season