Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (H) League One, Feb 4th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
boringteacher
UTS Legend

Re: Northampton Town (H) League One, Feb 4th 3pm

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:52 pm

Agree with the others who reckon we were a bit lucky - well deserved to be in front but our midfield looked a bit iffy today. This resulted in a cack load of pressure from hoofballs into the box from all angles - the center backs were lucky at times as noted, but you couldn't fault their effort.

As to the penalty, it looked a bit soft from 100 yards away. Whatever, they put it where they'd put the ball most of the afternoon, miles off the floor.

fudge them, if they tried playing football they might get a bit of sympathy.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Great with especially with the let off at the end

Play offs maybe ? :shock:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Matt Preston was absolutely rock solid today, headed and kicked everything they threw at him. Northampton played right into his hands with their incessant long balls and we got the luck we deserved for all our hard work at the end of the day.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:13 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Solid home win?

They missed a sitter of a header, had one scrambled off the line, and missed a penalty.

That was a poor, leggy performance from Walsall, the defending in the last 25 minutes was shocking, any half decent side would have put us to the sword.

Might aswell call ourselves the Vampires, because we just can't deal with crosses.

How many times have you said that this season....a half decent side would've punished Walsall.

There are only about two in this division and Walsall took 6 points off one of them.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:25 pm

LEE75 wrote:Walsall win on the the cards here... 2-0 with goals from oztumer,preston

close, but not quite carling

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:56 pm

I agree we looked a little tired today but I think we fully deserved our win. In the first half Northampton created nothing but lead through an awful piece of goalkeeping. Despite our tiredness we played very well to get the lead but then had to withstand incessant pressure. As .well as the wing backs the 3 central defenders did really well and the goalie redeemed himself some what with a point blank save. Sometimes you have to win"ugly" and show other qualities which we did today.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Great win, when I saw that penalty decision about 5 minutes into injury time on the BBC website, I though bugga, this is another two points dropped, luckily it appears he ballooned it! :D and the 3 points were ours...............who would have thought two months ago that we would be 4 points off the play off places and 15 off the relegation spots eh?
Whatever is happening, it is good and getting better, 6 weeks ago we would have lost a match like this, but now we tend to hang on and win dirty, (if only we had a striker up front we would walk into the play off's again).
Baka should be rested, he ain't making the grade currently, but Jackson's not much better, the choice is so limited.
But a fabulous run of games without defeat, we are so far up the table it's nosebleed time! Hoorah!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Lovely comment on UTS Facebook ------- "Confirmed reports that Marc Richards' penalty has landed, causing damage to flower beds in Palfrey Park"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:04 pm

They missed a sitter of a header, had one scrambled off the line, and missed a penalty.

That was a poor, leggy performance from Walsall, the defending in the last 25 minutes was shocking, any half decent side would have put us to the sword.

Might aswell call ourselves the Vampires, because we just can't deal with crosses.

I was referring to it as a solid home win in terms of the result, rather than the performance. Didn't go today but sounds like we dug in well at the end, with a bit of luck thrown in, to claim the points,

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Glad Richards missed the penalty he should have walked for the fowl yellow was not enough and then he was diving all afternoon trying to get free kick opportunities for them to launch it into the box

Thought curverlier was motm and his run of good form is matching the teams run

Curverlier, osbourne, McCarthy and o Connell are championship class and this is beginning to show

Come through the next set of games with anything and there is no reason why there can't be a grand stand finish - I hope we are still in it when we go to the Ricoh -

Brave decision by Whitney to keep the same team given the midweek game but paid off

Also Jackson coming on at 60 mins seems to work

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Northampton were not as bad as some have suggested. Their midfield was definitely stronger than ours and they looked like scoring every time that they attacked (although that owed more to our defensive frailties than their forward skills). Like every team in this division, they know that we are weak on crosses, both in attack and defence and, accordingly they will play on this. Our goal led a charmed life at times, apart from one brilliant stop by Etheridge in the second half - which compensated, up to a point, for his otherwise jittery performance (including his gift for their goal). Their penalty miss was shocking, particularly for such an experienced player as Richards.

Their defence looked very dodgy at times but we were not quick and sharp enough with the final pass, which gave them time to get bodies back and crowd us out. I have been, and still am, a big fan of Bakayoko but he looked as if he could do with a break away from first team action. He is still too easily out-thought and out-muscled by opposing centre-backs. He looks so naive when he goes in against opponents. He could do with experienced defenders teaching him the "tricks of the trade" - a task for Whitney, Sharps and O'Connor? Even Preston and O'Connell could teach him a bit.

As mentioned above, our midfield was below par today. Was Chambers fully fit? His right leg was bandaged just below the knee and he came off, injured, on Wednesday night. Osbourne looked "leggy", too. Fortunately, McCarthy and Edwards were in good form and Oztumer was always available without being at his best. It was good to see Laird get on, albeit only briefly.

Two very tough matches coming up. If our unbeaten run is still intact after them, then we will have a fighting chance of scraping into the play-offs.

LEE75

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:43 pm

LEE75 wrote:Walsall win on the the cards here... 2-0 with goals from oztumer,preston

Not far off was I ???

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:52 pm

LEE75 wrote:

Not far off was I ???

9/10 for effort, and a gold star ... now make a late entry to the Prediction League - with form like that you'll walk it!!! :D

LEE75

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
LEE75 wrote:

Not far off was I ???

9/10 for effort, and a gold star ... now make a late entry to the Prediction League - with form like that you'll walk it!!! :D

More luck than judgement with the goalscorers... but gold star gladly accepted !!

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Lucky win in end but points very welcome,as others have said a few games ago we would have lost this game ,the players are now showing fight and spirit all most of us was asking for in those dire games before christmas.
A few players were below par today maybe because of midweek game.Etheridge has saved us many times this season but this was his wworst game yet and could have cost us.Osborne looked tired Bako not with it but back 3 were great covering up for goalies poor game.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:45 pm

As I thought that was a tough test against quite a tricky side...

Awesome performance from McCarthy and Preston had a cracker too

I thought we looked a bit leggy (as others have said) but in all fairness to the lads they really stick at it and got their rewards

Thought the ref was a bit pedantic and when the 6 minutes came up it was cast iron guarantee they would bombard us and the penalty was almost inevitable after 3 or 4 minutes of constant aerial attack.. what a miss tho!!!! :lol:

Well done JW - I really like the way we seem to be able to grind away at teams - current form is seriously impressive but with good tests ahead v Bolton and Scunny this could prove to be a season defining period for us.. UTS

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Micky Saddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Micky Saddler wrote:Working at our iconic neighbouring building (see if you can guess :wink: ) kills me, knowing my beloved babbies are playing over the road!! :( :cry:

I'm predicting a 3-1 win here, with the new celtic bloke, baka and flo on the scoresheet.
For those of you there, try and keep me updated with the score via noise level :lol: :wink:

UTS
RAC? :lol:

Always known you had brains Chunk :D

i am glad you can spot talent when you see it micky :wink: i was going to say middleton's :mrgreen:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Northampton were not as bad as some have suggested. Their midfield was definitely stronger than ours and they looked like scoring every time that they attacked (although that owed more to our defensive frailties than their forward skills). Like every team in this division, they know that we are weak on crosses, both in attack and defence and, accordingly they will play on this. Our goal led a charmed life at times, apart from one brilliant stop by Etheridge in the second half - which compensated, up to a point, for his otherwise jittery performance (including his gift for their goal). Their penalty miss was shocking, particularly for such an experienced player as Richards.

Their defence looked very dodgy at times but we were not quick and sharp enough with the final pass, which gave them time to get bodies back and crowd us out. I have been, and still am, a big fan of Bakayoko but he looked as if he could do with a break away from first team action. He is still too easily out-thought and out-muscled by opposing centre-backs. He looks so naive when he goes in against opponents. He could do with experienced defenders teaching him the "tricks of the trade" - a task for Whitney, Sharps and O'Connor? Even Preston and O'Connell could teach him a bit.

As mentioned above, our midfield was below par today. Was Chambers fully fit? His right leg was bandaged just below the knee and he came off, injured, on Wednesday night. Osbourne looked "leggy", too. Fortunately, McCarthy and Edwards were in good form and Oztumer was always available without being at his best. It was good to see Laird get on, albeit only briefly.

Two very tough matches coming up. If our unbeaten run is still intact after them, then we will have a fighting chance of scraping into the play-offs.

Agree with lots of this Ped.

Northampton are a poor side but they have got a very strong spine. The trouble with them is that they are all spine.
We had to have some of that spine and that's why two crocks in midfield really showed up today, even if they stuck manfully to their task.
This is half the reason that three centre backs are working so well. Preston is thriving in this set up as has been said.

The worry is that next season if Chambers retires and Osbourne spends half the season in treatment room, we might be in bother.
A taste of this might be at Scunthorpe who will probably kill us even we get Pele in on loan.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:20 am

I think Etheridge psyched out Richards for the penalty.

If you look at it Neil stays on his feet quite late like he did with Sharp at Sheffield United.

That seemed to put Richards off and he went for the top corner and got It hopelessly wrong.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:09 am

[quote="SoccerHQ"]I think Etheridge psyched out Richards for the penalty.

If you look at it Neil stays on his feet quite late like he did with Sharp at Sheffield United.

That seemed to put Richards off and he went for the top corner and got It hopelessly wrong.[/quote

I think you could be right there soccer.

Obviously Lee75 knew that but was not expecting Etheridge to gift them the first goal.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:15 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Great win, when I saw that penalty decision about 5 minutes into injury time on the BBC website, I though bugga, this is another two points dropped, luckily it appears he ballooned it! :D and the 3 points were ours...............who would have thought two months ago that we would be 4 points off the play off places and 15 off the relegation spots eh?
:D :D :D :D :D

A good couple of points in two ways there AM.

No. 1, I was hoping he would sky it and No. 2, I thought we would. But then again I am Optimistic and you are Ancient Moaner. :D :D :D

UTS Legend

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:48 am

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:46 am

Shout outs for Jason Mac on the wing/right back position... Immense today as was O'Connell... what a difference between him and Toner

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:01 am

SoccerHQ wrote:I think Etheridge psyched out Richards for the penalty.

That seemed to put Richards off and he went for the top corner and got It hopelessly wrong.
He didn't get it hopelessly wrong in my eyes :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:24 am

Guest wrote:Nice penalty.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:55 am

Cheesebag wrote:Shout outs for Jason Mac on the wing/right back position... Immense today as was O'Connell... what a difference between him and Toner

Is there now an argument to be made that McCarthy is a better RB than Demetriou?

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Pheasey_Saddler wrote:

I was referring to it as a solid home win in terms of the result, rather than the performance. Didn't go today but sounds like we dug in well at the end, with a bit of luck thrown in, to claim the points,

Solid win seemed like an apt description to me too. I've never understood why people don't seem pleased when we win (especially on the back of some decent results). Chill out!

Well done Saddlers. Hysterical that people were calling for Whitney to be sacked 15 games in and more recently 5 games ago. I hope our fans will be a bit more patient in future.

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Having watched Oztumer's goal again, does Osbourne have his shot cleared off the line from Jackson in the build-up? :lol:

LEE75

Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:29 pm

Positive word about the referee ysday who I thought was as excellent a ref that I've witnessed all season.

LEE75

Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:38 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Shout outs for Jason Mac on the wing/right back position... Immense today as was O'Connell... what a difference between him and Toner

Is there now an argument to be made that McCarthy is a better RB than Demetriou?

There definitely is an argument to be made because McCarthy is getting better by the game.
His attitude, athleticism and damn right will to win is a joy to watch.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season