Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (A) League One, Feb 1st 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
boringteacher
UTS Legend

Re: Millwall (A) League One, Feb 1st 7.45pm

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Questionable, homer, refereeing by the sound of it. Containing well by the sound of it.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Walsall's 2nd yellow card, 74 minutes ... (Joe Edwards)

Morris on for Cuvelier, 78 minutes

Our 3rd substitution, on 82 minutes ... a debut for Will Randall, who replaces Oztumer

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:35 pm

We have our first corner .... in the 88th minute!!!! (Edit - which comes to nothing) :(

Long injury break ... Jason McCarthy, I think.

Full time and a score of 0-0 - a very good away point!!! :D

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Cracking point! Any idea what the injury to McCarthy was at the death?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:44 pm

Very decent point, not many come away from the Den with a point recently. Pleasing, Belg has been there and reports that both teams were as crud as each other, a really boring match.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Great result! Well done to all including Jon Whitney

WORK IN PROGRESS :arrow: PERIOD

:D

ps. 'club in decline' :lol: :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Fantastic point well done lads and well done to the travelling fans :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:59 pm

Happy with a point there. Nothing conceded either.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Roll on Saturday, see you all there :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:11 pm

I listened to it on WM.A good point thanks to a strong defensive performance. Chambers was the player injured and it sounded bad so maybe he will be missing on Saturday.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Fair enough getting a point but it was dull turgid stuff to sit through . 2 mediocre sides who will probably end where they are now. We were a bit better in the second half but there was too much sideways and backwards stuff. A lot of the time that we got into promising positions we messed around before eventually losing possession. One of the most boring nil-nils I've seen. I don't think either goalkeeper was forced into a serious save. We did dominate the 3 minutes of added time.
A game that will NOT live long in the memory. At least I hadn't sat on the coach for 5 hours from Walsall to get there.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Fair enough getting a point but it was dull turgid stuff to sit through . 2 mediocre sides who will probably end where they are now. We were a bit better in the second half but there was too much sideways and backwards stuff. A lot of the time that we got into promising positions we messed around before eventually losing possession. One of the most boring nil-nils I've seen. I don't think either goalkeeper was forced into a serious save. We did dominate the 3 minutes of added time.
A game that will NOT live long in the memory. At least I hadn't sat on the coach for 5 hours from Walsall to get there.

Can't disagree with that.

Not a lot happened really. But a decent point. The walk to the station afterwards was the most adrenalin inducing part of the night. They shut the away path to the station so we were left to walk the long way and mingle.

One interesting aside is that I too used the word turgid to describe the first half. Incorrectly as it turns out. Turgid means swollen or distended. The correct word is torpid. Thanks to Mr Bangsection for the educational bit of the night.

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:36 pm

Back home after a really boring game!
Neither keeper had a save to make for the whole 93 minutes. (edit) I'd forgotten about Flo's shot from outside the box that their keeper caught. My brain must have stupefied by what followed.
That said we need to be able to grind out a draw against some of the better sides and that's exactly what we did.
Last edited by saddla on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 am

According to BBC Millwall didn't have a shot on target, considering they were at home that's not a bad point so you can thank the defence for that.

UTS Legend

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:49 am

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:10 am

PT wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:Fair enough getting a point but it was dull turgid stuff to sit through . 2 mediocre sides who will probably end where they are now. We were a bit better in the second half but there was too much sideways and backwards stuff. A lot of the time that we got into promising positions we messed around before eventually losing possession. One of the most boring nil-nils I've seen. I don't think either goalkeeper was forced into a serious save. We did dominate the 3 minutes of added time.

Can't disagree with that.

Not a lot happened really. But a decent point. The walk to the station afterwards was the most adrenalin inducing part of the night. They shut the away path to the station so we were left to walk the long way and mingle.

One interesting aside is that I too used the word turgid to describe the first half. Incorrectly as it turns out. Turgid means swollen or distended. The correct word is torpid. Thanks to Mr Bangsection for the educational bit of the night

Thanks at least I have learnt something new from last night. See turgid can mean pompous and bombastic too.
Still coming down gave me the chance to play with my 3 year old grandaughter who I don't see that often and that experience was definitely not torpid!

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:39 am

Solid.

Pleased to see Osbourne, and to a lesser extent Flo, making it through two games Saturday, Wednesday. Hope they are both available again to go 90 minutes on Saturday, mind I'd be tempted to go with Morris instead of Flo anyway, but still be good if they were capable of playing midweek fixtures from now on.

That's another 4 points from a team largely unchanged from the Millwall that finished a solid 4th last year. I'm happy with that, and I bet they are at the club. It's a very competitive division is League One, one of the reasons I consider it the most entertaining to watch. Time to make sure it isn't 'nil points' from Northampton.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:45 am

I actually found the highlights boring, which says it all really.

However, given that we were underdogs going into the game, I'd take a boring 0-0 all day long.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:54 am

Dreadful game for the spectator.

Don't recall either keeper being forced in to making a save all night long. We offered absolutely nothing going forward - the one flash of creativity all night was when Baka (I think) dinked the ball over their centre half for Oz to run on to - Oz was promptly clothes-lined right in front of Deadman, who gave nothing.

Millwall were no great shakes, but we were overun in midfield for long periods. I think Oz had a very poor game, as did Baka. Really, we didn't need to play 5 across the back, it just meant we were always a man light going forward, and had a man spare at the back all night.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:57 am

I think JW deserves a lot of credit here ,granted it may of been a dull affair to sit though but had we gone down there to attack we more than likely would of been on the end of a defeat.

Its another good result... just makes it more disappointing that we didn't make use of the transfer window.

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:01 pm

Good point if we beat the cobblers, few tough games after that, upwards and onwards

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Fair play to Jon Whitney who has consistently and stubbornly refused to change a winning team.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:42 pm

If we can grind out points away from home and keep winning the home games we will be in a great position come the end of the season

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Cully wrote:Roll on Saturday, see you all there :D

Will you be slumming it with us on public transport again? :D

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Highlights..............I was there, what highlights?

Sevenoaks Saddler

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Living in Kent I get to very few games. For some reason every time I do go the game is terrible (the JPT final and various 1-0 defeats at places like Brentford and Orient, for example). So apologies for jinxing it and I promise not to go to Charlton. I was going to write a match report but since absolutely nothing happened, there isn't much point. I work with a Millwall season ticket holder who said that it was the worst game he has seen all season. A good away point unless you happened to be there to witness it. At least it was on my way home. I take my woolly hat off to those who made the trek from Walsall.

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:07 pm

I would have taken a point before the game all day long.

However Etheridge could have lost us the game with his distribution alone, and let's not forget the 2/3 clear headers that MIllwall probably should have scored / tested the keeper from - i shouldn't curse our good fortune. We could have potentially won the game with a change of shape in the second half but if i was in Whitney's position i probably would have just tried to see the game out as we did and keep this run of form going - One loss in our last Eight games i believe.

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:45 pm

PT wrote:
One interesting aside is that I too used the word turgid to describe the first half. Incorrectly as it turns out. Turgid means swollen or distended. The correct word is torpid. Thanks to Mr Bangsection for the educational bit of the night.

I'll be running a half time workshop on the correct use of "uninterested" and "disinterested" at Scunthorpe, while the Bolton game sees the welcome return of my seminar on possessive apostrophes.

Please sign up on the notice board in the quad.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:17 pm

bangsection wrote:
PT wrote:

I'll be running a half time workshop on the correct use of "uninterested" and "disinterested" at Scunthorpe, while the Bolton game sees the welcome return of my seminar on possessive apostrophes.

Dear Sir,
I have no idea what you are talking about but I like the cut of your jib and I'm up for a half time jolly in whatever language you may wish to use. Just be aware that my attention span is limited so try to include an occasional picture or anecdote about rabbits. [my granddaughter loves rabbits] then at least if we lose I can tell her that my trip to Scunthorpe was not entirely pointless.
Yours in anticipation.

ps. Will I require special clothing?

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:19 pm

bangsection wrote:
PT wrote:

It's to my eternal regret I missed your heads up on embedded quotations at one of the Checkatrade Trophy games.
I was queuing up for it only to be told that for the 1,026th time I'd been refused entry to the Saddlers Club.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season