Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League One, 28th Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Bury (A) League One, 28th Jan 3pm

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Full time.

Is that a point gained or two dropped....no idea!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:56 pm

A good fightback to secure a good away draw. Pity we could not have held on but at half time I would have taken a draw.

coop63
Glitterati

What a roller coaster second half!!!

I'm happy with the point after that first half performance - shows we've got the fight we were missing earlier in the season - well done boys UTS

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

SoccerHQ wrote:Full time.

Is that a point gained or two dropped....no idea!

Well, at least we didn't let them come back into the game ...Oh, hang on......

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:01 pm

I am gutted, although It has to be seen as a point gained after the reported first half performance. It's even more disappointing as a win really could have been the catalyst for a good end to the season. Overall the last three games have been positive and we appear to have turned a corner. 10 scored 5 conceded..

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:08 pm

In the top half at least finally.

Would say a top 10 finish should be the target hopefully continuing the more positive play in recent weeks.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:15 pm

I'll take a point, but we really need to wise up. Referees will ruin games if we don't learn to play to the referee.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:23 pm

chriss5471 wrote:I'll take a point, but we really need to wise up. Referees will ruin games if we don't learn to play to the referee.

What was the ref up to today then Chris??

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Every time a player put their hands on a Bury player the Bury player would go down, we need to learn this and use it to our advantage. But unfortunately our lads are a tad naive and keep doing it and the referee bought it time and time again.

He did a few other things as well such as made every decision making the linesmen redundant and got a fair few wrong as he just made a decision without waiting for the better positioned linesmen. His worst one for me was stopping play when they had an injury but their player was already off the field.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:38 pm

chriss5471 wrote:Every time a player put their hands on a Bury player the Bury player would go down, we need to learn this and use it to our advantage. But unfortunately our lads are a tad naive and keep doing it and the referee bought it time and time again.

He did a few other things as well such as made every decision making the linesmen redundant and got a fair few wrong as he just made a decision without waiting for the better positioned linesmen. His worst one for me was stopping play when they had an injury but their player was already off the field.

Thanks for the clarification - we seem to get a few of those that can't detect when the opposition fall over at will.. I was gobsmacked down at Oxford when time after time their players (and many of them were the bigger lads) just went down and the ref was straight on the whistle (nowhere near a foul!) very annoying - UTS

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:39 pm

What a 2nd half. Was it a goalkeeping error with their 3rd? As others have said I would have taken that after our poor 1st half .Thought we were going to get a 4th as we seemed in total control. Sitting on tram back to Piccadilly feeling a bit disappointed but If we can reproduce that 2nd half fight from now on we will end comfortably in top half.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:43 pm

448 hardy Saddlers there today - well done all and safe journey home..

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:01 pm

hullsaddler wrote:What a 2nd half. Was it a goalkeeping error with their 3rd? As others have said I would have taken that after our poor 1st half .Thought we were going to get a 4th as we seemed in total control. Sitting on tram back to Piccadilly feeling a bit disappointed but If we can reproduce that 2nd half fight from now on we will end comfortably in top half.

Appeared to be a cross which was turned in, unchallenged by our defence!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 pm

WM said it was an "undefendable cross."

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:20 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:WM said it was an "undefendable cross."

I'm staying with my opinion from a view 90 yards away! :lol:

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:54 pm

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10746996/bury-3-3-walsall

Frustratingly soft goal to concede at the end. Still, brilliant fightback which was all the more surprising after a really poor first half.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:58 pm

chriss5471 wrote: But unfortunately our lads are a tad naive and keep doing it and the referee bought it time and time again.

Could be why we don't get many pens.

How many we had this season ?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:04 pm

I must admit i have been both surprised and excited about our last 3 results. ok sometimes the performances haven't been great in parts. but what we are proving in those performances is our resilience. and for once the ability to be able to turn a result around. ok we conceded in the 90th minute but we were 2-0 down at half time and 6-7 games ago that would have meant a 4 nil drubbing. so fair play to the lads. looking forward now to the second half of the season :)

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Kevlar wrote:
chriss5471 wrote: But unfortunately our lads are a tad naive and keep doing it and the referee bought it time and time again.

Could be why we don't get many pens.

How many we had this season ?

One, versus Sheffield United a fortnight ago!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Don't know whether to be happy or grumpy...

A points a point though, so we'll done the lads!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Exile wrote:Don't know whether to be happy or grumpy...

A points a point though, so we'll done the lads!
Stick with the grumpy, no need to change character just because of one result :lol: :wink:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:03 pm

I am sure it will have happened a number of times before but presumably it's not often that home and away games both end up 3-3?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Nice to see proper highlights on channel 5. Apparently Reece Brown scored against a former club and McCarthy scored past Neil Etheridge.

bescot42
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:00 am

kshammer wrote:Nice to see proper highlights on channel 5. Apparently Reece Brown scored against a former club and McCarthy scored past Neil Etheridge.

I was just about to post the same thing :lol:

What a joke

UTS Legend

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:17 am

bescot42 wrote:
kshammer wrote:Nice to see proper highlights on channel 5. Apparently Reece Brown scored against a former club and McCarthy scored past Neil Etheridge.

I was just about to post the same thing :lol:

What a joke

Comedy commentary

https://youtu.be/DezixW_lF60

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:08 am

Thanks guest!!!

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:45 am

Enjoyed yesterday.

Friendly stewarding, decent view, basic but sound facilities, 6 goals, all for £18 cash on the turnstiles. That's how League One should be. Shove your £25 tickets up your backside with your Skysports subscription.

Some dodgey defending, but in testing conditions. Flo was completely lost yesterday, pulled the team all out of shape in the first half, but we still managed to create a few chances. Can't believe the Bury keeper's worldly save from Osbourne in the 2nd half didn't make the highlights.

I'd like to see Morris or Dobson in for Flo on Wednesday. Give Osbourne better license to bomb on. And while I've been a big Neil fan, he may have cost us points yesterday rather than all those he saved us earlier in the season, and if he's foxtrot oscar in the summer, calls to give Big Mac his jersey will get louder. It could be time for a longer audition for the not so youngster.

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:21 am

Well, what additional commentary can you say about that, other than the most entertaining 2 hours imaginable!
Topy turvy first half, unlike most above posters I don't think we were too bad, indeed I believe we deserved to be in front, good approach work and far better flowing attacks, but why oh why didn't they pass balls to McCarthy who was sat on the wing totally unmarked for most of the latter stages. The difference was their unstoppable goal machine (only wish we had one, we would be in the play off's by now) and a stunning free kick to make sure we were all miserably at half time.
Then came that fabulous second half, whatever he had said to 'em made a difference, when we got to 3-2 up I felt sure we would make it 4-2, however, we dilly dallied with fancy footwork at their corner until inevitably we lost the ball, they went up field, and the rest is history.
In my opinion 2 points frittered away, Etheridge will want to forget this game. But still, great entertainment, and for only £12 for old farts like me....well done Bury!
PS: What was all that American football fan rubbish all about? Utterly embarrassing. (A bit like the antics of our own utterly pithed fans making fools of 'emselves)

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:54 am

Decent game yesterday, but the football it self was not excellent from either team.

First half we were fairly dull, barely got into their half and didn't create many memorable chances, think I remember one corner and that's about it. We seemed to take one too many passes at both ends of the pitch, inviting pressure onto us at the back and missing chances to get the ball in the box or to the wing back at the other end, with it going sideways too often. We weren't terrible, but we were 2-0 down without being dreadful, just very lacklusture. Their first goal was down to bad defending, once we had got the ball out of the box we had the bodies there to defend it, just whoever was meant to be marking Vaughan completely lost him. Second I think was a flook, not sure whether Etheridge can be blamed for it or not though.

Second half we improved, but still weren't over convincing until our first goal I thought, but then we got better after each of our goals. Osbourne started to get on the ball further forward which seemed to drive the whole team forward. After the first, you could see us getting level or going in front, and even after we went 3-2 up our play in the corner and around their box was very neat, just a shame, for what would have been a tremendous come back and win.

Etheridge - made a great double save in the first half, could maybe have done better with the second goal.
Preston - wasn't awful, but I think it was him who lost track of Vaughan for the first goal. Think they seemed to target Preston as the weaker of the back 3 when attacking.
O'Connor - Average.
O'Connell - the better of our defenders, won most of his headers, and in the second half in particular, brought the ball out of defence well. Has a bit of pace too.
McCarthy - my MOTM, though he got forward well in both halves, defended well when he needed to, and got 2 goals. Think he's class!
Cuvelier - very quiet first half, didn't really notice he was on the pitch until about 40 minutes in, but got on the ball more in the second half.
Chambers - neat on the ball yesterday, with Osbourne next to him we aren't as reliant on him defending, letting him get on the ball more.
Osbourne - alright defensively first half, but sloppy with the ball I thought. Second half though, him getting forward more changed our approach and we were much more direct. He won the free kick for our first, and was involved in the build up to the other two too, and could have had a tap in too which was well saved.
Edwards - played quite well, not spectacular but did what he needed to.
Oztumer - tidy passing as usual, but did a lot of sideways passing and running in the first half, when we seemed to miss the chance to play if forward or to the wing backs who had made runs. Much more effective in the second half as Osbourne drove forward giving him more options and support.
Bakayoko - he has improved since I last saw him, won a lot more headers than he did a few months ago, and they seemed to find team mates too. Didn't get too many chances, but some of his play was decent, especially in the 20 minutes in the second half we were in and around their box.

I would have taken a draw at half time, and really couldn't see us getting one after the less than inspiring first half, but a really enjoyable second half topped off with a decent curry in Manchester afterwards :mrgreen:

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:29 pm

Might just be my eyesight, but from the back of the away end it looked to me like Matt Preston has a bald patch on the crown of his head. Anyone else notice?

If he has, might explain why he ducked out of all the high ball challenges that weren't smack on his forehead, and spending more time worrying about it instead of tracking his man. His booking was all of his own making when shouldn't even have been a problem.

That said, he has been improving steadily over the season though he's still not the finished article.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season