Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (H) League One 14 Jan, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Re: Sheffield United (H) League One 14 Jan, 3pm

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Guest wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Channel 5 tonight, 10pm :D :D :D

We might get a little more than the usual 30-40 seconds.

A full minute you mean?! :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Guest wrote:

that's always my wife's biggest gripe :mrgreen:

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:29 pm

chunkster wrote:
Guest wrote:

that's always my wife's biggest gripe :mrgreen:

She gets 30-40 seconds? My you are spoiling her!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:31 pm

Why is the board not allowing posts from mobiles."? Keep getting SQL error!

No worries!
Have found the reason.
The board doesn't like the emoticons from iPhones!
Last edited by SaddlerSteve on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:This is getting very silly........ Walsall 3 Sheffield Utd 1 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D (Joe Edwards, and it's worth commenting that Bakayoko has scored our first goal and been responsible for the assists for the other two goals)

At 3-1 up there was still some mong in one of the upper blocks slagging him off and calling him a lazy get!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Had trouble posting at half time for some reason but this is what I was trying to post:

"Started off great, brilliant goal.
Then was ok till our defence decided to stand there whilst Sheff players were jumping around them.
After conceding we've done the usual reaction of looking completely clueless and cacking ourselves.
Ref has been pretty poor culminating in him booking McCarthy for a hack that was actually committed by Preston. "

Then 2nd half this team showed what it's made of with some passion and a game plan! After 1st Half didn't see this coming but it's gratefully received.

Brilliant goals and could have had another from a penalty for handball.

The ref was a complete moron... but thankfully his decisions were cancelled out by us actually being very good! :mrgreen:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:44 pm

brilliant to see the entire team put in a real shift today

Obviously it's easy to get carried away with a 4-1 win against anyone but to be honest, against the top team it was clearly a massive game today.

I thought bako had his best game for the club today - he never stopped working and I was so pleased he got the goal after his Miss of the season!

We certainly enjoy playing against the blades!! UTS

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:49 pm

We had to dig in, we had to have a bit of a luck but that second half performance was class. Lovely counter attacking. Easily the best we have played al season. We were so clinical and made all the right decisions. It was clear Sheff United had come with arrogance and hadnt the foggiest about our tactics.

First half was very even and had they scored first right before we hit them on the break for the first goal i suspect it would have been different.

I dont think Edwards gets enough credit, he runs all game, and i was really pleased he got a goal today. All of the midfield today had a shout for MOTM.

The new lad from Celtic had a scruffy start and nearly gifted them a goal but after that he was solid. He really shows Toner up anyway.

Bakayoko played much better second half too, other than the goal in the first he was ball watching. Had he scored his overhead kick it would have been one of the best pieces of skill ive seen, he gave Ebanks Landell a really tough game second half. Easily his best performance.

There was outrage before the game he hadnt picked Laird, and there were some ridiculous comments on FB before the game. Dont look so fudge smug now do they?

Have a drink tonight Jon, you deserve one.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:55 pm

fudge awesome, where did that come from.

The formation was perfect for our squad, the difference from Fleetwood is that we actually picked midfielders with creative ability, with Chambers superbly shielding the defence. Osbourne was magnificent and probably should have been the MoM, though O'Connor was close in the way he gelled the back 3 after an uncertain start. Both wingbacks were superb and Bakayoko led the line really well with Ozzie linkimg play well. Nobody was weak today. The first three goals came from fantastic, rapid passing which gutted their defence.

I expected to lose by 2/3 today, but Whitney has stumbled on a formation when I suspect that it was mainly designed to nullify the blunts. We were a touch lucky to be level at half time, though there wasn't much in it. At half time, I still expected to lose against a really good team, but the general view was that the formation/lineup had tons of promise and that Whitney should stick with it whatever happened in the second. Should be a real no-brainer now.

Time to stop whining on Whitney and give him half a season to develop as a manager. I want to see progression and he's got the chance to do that for me.

FORGOT - the referee was utter laughable gash - where the fudge do they get them from?
Last edited by boringteacher on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:10 pm

A very good TEAM performance .I wouldn't have had a "man of the match" as everyone contributed. Well done JW and the team.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Can't be too praiseworthy otherwise will be accused of being a happy clapper.

Edwards MoM for me.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:43 pm

I know that we had already beaten them twice this season but they should at least try otherwise beating them every time will stop being fun.

Wilder has been getting some credits this year and rightly so but mr Whitney had him today

Credit to the Walsall manager and his team

Coming back in the car a tune was played by gnash

I hate u I love u

It's that kind of season

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:15 pm

The team had to work very hard throughout, but especially in the first half, to contain them, as they found space and passed the ball very well around us.
Defensively we were all over the place early on, but improved as the game went on.
For all their dominance I don't think Sheffield created too much and we struggled to keep possession and as such were under constant pressure.
We took virtually all of our chances and turned the game on its head, giving us a big reward for all the effort.
I thought that Edwards had a very good game and he showed great quality and composure to score his goal.
I'm sure Sheffield will wonder how they lost, especially so heavily, but we stuck to the task and made it difficult for them.
Everyone played their part.
Cuvelier is getting better with each game and Osbourne shows flashes of good quality.
We couldn't say we were the best team today but the result would certainly suggest that.
Let's hope we can take confidence from this and turn our form around and creep up the table.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:18 pm

What I expected. Watch us lose the next three :lol:

Great result though, use this as a springboard now. Prove me wrong Whitney, one game isn't enough.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Osbourne is a seriously good player.. if only he could stay fit!

I'd fancy him against any midfielder in this division.. quality

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Well that was brilliant wasn't it?

Fabulous.

Credit to Whitney and I'm genuinely pleased he'll have an enjoyable Saturday night for a change.

We played some reall good football today. Rode our luck a bit at times, but as I said earlier in the thread, I just love beating these. Thrashing them is exceptional.

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:02 pm

This was one in the eye from Whitney for all the doomsayers.
He got the tactics exactly right. The second half they were chasing shadows. Osbourn was my man of the match though it could have gone to about 6 of our players.
We quite rightly abandoned the 4-4-2 and played a 3-5-1-1 and I don't think Sheffield were expecting that at all.
The substitutions were spot on. Jackson came on and harried every defender that had the ball causing all sort of miskicks from them giving the ball back to us.

Etheridge had a bit of an off day for me flapping a few times. but that is me being over critical on the day when we hammered another worst team in the division :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:03 pm

scott_powell wrote:What I expected. Watch us lose the next three :lol:

Great result though, use this as a springboard now. Prove me wrong Whitney, one game isn't enough.
Agreed. 2 massive victory's against what is statistically the best team in the league does not make a successful season. It's a great feeling when it happens but we could still find ourselves in trouble at the end of the season if we don't push on from here. In my mind this is either a massive piece of wallpaper or the catalyst to push us into either the top 6 or even the top 2.Let's just hope it's the latter, and for now lets just bask in the glory of not just a good victory but a fantastic one. up the saddlers :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:25 pm

chunkster wrote:

Agreed. 2 massive victory's against what is statistically the best team in the league does not make a successful season. It's a great feeling when it happens but we could still find ourselves in trouble at the end of the season if we don't push on from here. In my mind this is either a massive piece of wallpaper or the catalyst to push us into either the top 6 or even the top 2.Let's just hope it's the latter, and for now lets just bask in the glory of not just a good victory but a fantastic one. up the saddlers :D

Top 2....here we go. :lol:

Safely creating an unrealistic aspiration so Whitney can be safely criticised when he fails to reach it, am I right Chunky? :wink:

For the 100th time....it's a mid table season. The facts are 9 points clear of the bottom 4 and 9 points off top 6 so bang in the middle.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:42 pm

A well deserved win against a good Sheff Utd team complete contrast to away game where we got a smash and grab win.
With ozzy back in team we played good football on the ground instead of hoof ball and it worked.
No weak links today every player showed fight and gave all for the shirt something that has been missing, several contenders for MOM mine would be Osbourne lets keep him fit.
On seeing team line up with 3 at back I thought we would pack the defence and also could not understand why Laird was out and looked like Edwards who has had poor games at LB earlier in season was in. I was wrong and Edwards had an excellent game and deserved his goal.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:50 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Top 2....here we go. :lol:

Safely creating an unrealistic aspiration so Whitney can be safely criticised when he fails to reach it, am I right Chunky? :wink:

For the 100th time....it's a mid table season. The facts are 9 points clear of the bottom 4 and 9 points off top 6 so bang in the middle.
:lol: you can't blame me for trying :mrgreen:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Enjoy :D :D :D :D
http://www.skysports.com/efl/championsh ... -sheff-utd

#paperingoverthecracks

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:04 pm

saddla wrote:This was one in the eye from Whitney for all the doomsayers.
He got the tactics exactly right. The second half they were chasing shadows. Osbourn was my man of the match though it could have gone to about 6 of our players.
We quite rightly abandoned the 4-4-2 and played a 3-5-1-1 and I don't think Sheffield were expecting that at all.
The substitutions were spot on. Jackson came on and harried every defender that had the ball causing all sort of miskicks from them giving the ball back to us.

Etheridge had a bit of an off day for me flapping a few times. but that is me being over critical on the day when we hammered another worst team in the division :mrgreen:

I agree with every bit of your post Saddla except the comment regarding Etheridge - ok he might not have had his best game but lets be honest, for a keeper to have a good game he ideally needs a clean sheet and a few good saves.... in my opinion, and the goal apart which was a defensive mess with headball, I thought he did fine.. on top of that he made a top class save in the second half that looked a certain goal so I think you're being a little harsh on him - UTS

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:25 pm

I agree with every bit of your post Saddla except the comment regarding Etheridge - ok he might not have had his best game but lets be honest, for a keeper to have a good game he ideally needs a clean sheet and a few good saves.... in my opinion, and the goal apart which was a defensive mess with headball, I thought he did fine.. on top of that he made a top class save in the second half that looked a certain goal so I think you're being a little harsh on him - UTS[/quote][/quote]

I think United would have been happy if their keeper had performed as well as Etheridge. He cost them 3 goals.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Chatted to the keeper coach on the stairs out after the game. Asked him what they'd been fed all week and he smiled and said it was just good to get the experienced players back. I said Osbourne makes us tick. He replied that's because he's Championship class.
Proud Saddler
Up the Saddlers forever

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:33 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:Chatted to the keeper coach on the stairs out after the game. Asked him what they'd been fed all week and he smiled and said it was just good to get the experienced players back. I said Osbourne makes us tick. He replied that's because he's Championship class.
Proud Saddler
Up the Saddlers forever

Interesting post - it looked like they were more motivated today and something just felt 'better' than of late - your comments indicate they felt different too.. UTS

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Enjoy :D :D :D :D

#paperingoverthecracks

Many thanks for that, Super. Brilliant! I thought our goals showed some very neat passing and, of course, clinical finishing.
Feel good tonight.
EXCELSIOR!!
:D

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:59 pm

Always a nice feeling when your team gets a surprise win after being written off. Well done the lads!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:27 pm

Were we second on the highlights after a nil-nil? :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:27 pm

SWS11 wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Enjoy :D :D :D :D

#paperingoverthecracks

Many thanks for that, Super. Brilliant! I thought our goals showed some very neat passing and, of course, clinical finishing.
Feel good tonight.
EXCELSIOR!!
:D

Bit conscious of stealing Guest's thunder as highlights link supremo, but it's worth putting out there.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season