Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (H) League One, 2 Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Rochdale (H) League One, 2 Jan 3pm

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:43 pm

A very happy 2017 to all UTS contributors, and the same good wishes to visitors from Gracie Fields' land who venture down the M6 for this game. Occasionally a match comes along with "a score to settle" written all over it, and this is one such example. It's interesting to note that since we suffered that 4-0 drubbing at Spotland in November we've played 6 League One games and conceded a measly 3 goals in the process. Definite signs of a tightening-up in the Saddlers' defensive play, and presumably kudos to Mr. Sharps for his undoubted input on that front. Rochdale are sitting very comfortably in 4th place in the League One table, with a reasonable cushion of 5 points separating them from the "below play-off" pack. Having said that, it may surprise you to know that Rochdale have actually lost more League One games than we have ....... but their habit of winning where we habitually draw gives them the 11 points superiority they enjoy over us. Current form is impressive, with only one defeat in the last 6 games:-

22 Nov Walsall (H) Won 4-0
26 Nov Gillingham (A) Lost 3-0
10 Dec Scunthorpe United (H) Won 3-2
17 Dec Northampton Town (A) Won 2-3
26 Dec Chesterfield (H) Won 3-0
30 Dec Shrewsbury Town (H) Won 2-1

Rochdale's goalscoring ability is there for all to see - they've scored very nearly 50% more goals than we have in League One games, but interestingly they have also conceded practically the same number as ourselves. Their away form gives us a glimmer of hope - they have contrived to lose at Port Vale, Oxford United, Swindon Town, Coventry City, Bradford City and Gillingham, and it shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that we can gather 3 points against them on Monday.

Jon Whitney's "2 up front" (Bakayoko and Jackson) seems to have been at least partially responsible for our improved form of late - after all, if you're keeping the opposition defence occupied with your forays they are less likely to be pressing your defence. And if, at the same time, your defence has been tightened up (q.e.d.) that makes the whole team more competitive. It was interesting to note JW's substitution tactics against Oxford United ... there might have been a case, late in the game, for "parking the bus" at 0-0, but when he brought Bakayoko and Cuvelier off he replaced them with (practically) like for like with Oztumer and Morris. I would like to think that tactics played a part in the introduction of Makris for a 3 minute cameo at the death, but there is quite possibly more going on behind the scenes than we are being told........

Prediction? A win would obviously be very welcome (and a pleasant change), and with our recently acquired strength in defence coupled with Rochdale's propensity for conceding on their travels, I think a 2-0 home result is achievable. Don't particularly care who scores for us, so just to be controversial I'll say Tony Richards and Ken Hodgkisson.

UTS :D

coop63
Glitterati

Re: Rochdale (H) League One, 2 Jan 3pm

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:48 am

Nice one Welsh - thanks again for your prematch words each week during the past year..

Can't disagree with stats and it's obvious that Rochdale will prove difficult to beat with their undoubted ability up front.. in that case JW will need to get our lads fired up for this one that's for sure..

As you state, our defensive performances have improved significantly since our visit to Spotland so hopefully we can keep that going - maybe the time fir a certain Mr Makris to get a start instead of Jackson who frankly seems ineffective in much if what he does (sorry to be negative there!!!)

I'm going for a 1-1 with Bako on target for us. UTS

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:04 am

3-0 Saddlers
Makris hat-trick (New Year, New Makris!)

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:48 am

Rochdale to win this, 2-0, in front of 4,491.

Happy New Year to all Saddlers everywhere and let's hope I'm wrong!

Cully
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:15 am

BathSaddler wrote:Rochdale to win this, 2-0, in front of 4,491.

Happy New Year to all Saddlers everywhere and let's hope I'm wrong!

I hope you are Bath, particularly since I've backed us to win after witnessing our last few performances home and away. I see this as a tipping point for the season, if we win I can only see us continuing to improve bit by bit. The players have obviously now got some sort of bond between them which has managed to drag us through quite a few games when we've struggled for any sort of form, it's just that I see them now as a bit more solid defensively and the goals will no doubt come, Jackson is far too good a striker to be goalless for much longer and Bakayoko offers us so much more than the one up front we persisted with at the start of the season. It's just a pity that some fans only care about the last game anybody plays and forget the lack of experience and age of some of our players. Case in point, Matt Preston who now looks such a different player than the one at the beginning of the season and is benefiting from having O'Connor alongside him.
This season - Work in progress :arrow: PERIOD
:D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Can't make this one. The BBC had us as also ran's (as far as stats go) at Oxford , which was obviously way off the mark.
Difficult to predict, Rochdale are red hot in front of goal, whilst we are somewhat shy in that department. But they have a relatively poorer away record than a few in their lofty position. However we have managed outright robberies against stronger opposition, notably Bolton & The Blades.
Dare not say anything controversial as I might send the permanently optimistic Walsallone into a frenzy of anger once again! :mrgreen: :wink: But I'll go for a narrow 2-1 win, don't care who scores as long as we give 'em payback for that awful capitulation at Spotland!

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:19 pm

As is the norm at this time of year my chances of getting to see the boys are about as much as Kate McCann winning parent of the year , however loving the new shiny UTS , so will once again be following the match via the interweb thingy.

Don't like Rochdale, going back about 30 years , when i got a slap at an away game there from a copper , so for me anything other than a win and i'll be seriously peed off.

Heart over the head on this one 2-1 win for the reds, Ozzy and Makris to break his duck.

Keep the faith

Obi :D

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Here we go again by the look of it.

0-1 :twisted:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:39 pm

ObiWan7 wrote:Here we go again by the look of it.

0-1 :twisted:

That lot score for fun, we have to book an appointment. Looks as if our recent good form could be well tested today.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:56 pm

We're not that bad.
We're not good either.
Just completely mediocre.

Apart from switching off for the goal the defence has been better but it's at the expense of a weaker midfield.

Why is Oztumer on the bench?
Jackson has been useless.
Makris gets all the stick despite being given a few minutes a game and Jackson has loads more game time for the same result yet no one gives him stick.

Sort it out Whitney or fall on your sword.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:59 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Why is Oztumer on the bench?
Makris gets all the stick despite being given a few minutes a game and Jackson has loads more game time for the same result yet no one gives him stick.

Here's my prediction:

Oztumer will come on in 71st min for Bakayoko
Moussa will come on for Cuvelier in 77th minute
Makris will come on for Jackson in 83rd minute.

:wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:

Here's my prediction:

And, as we muck about, Rochdale will tap in a second. :(

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:

Here's my prediction:

Kiss of death AM! :cry:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Let's face it, the old Walsall curse is rearing it's head again, we just can't score. Really getting boring now, and, unless we invest in a striker in the January sales, our season will fizzle out completely, we will end up a few places above the zone (thankfully), but gates will drop off back down to the faithful 3,000 mark, without doubt.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:

Here's my prediction:

Kiss of death AM! :cry:

Could see it coming, we are a squad devoid of pride, as said above, Whitney should fall on his sword.

Come on 'Walsallone' put a positive note on this latest setback?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Clueless, dispiriting excuse for a performance m

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:15 pm

CACK

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Cold, awful, inept and cold.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:22 pm

On a positive note, we did well to limit them to 2 goals.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:25 pm

On a positive note, Makris will be fresh for Saturday.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:37 pm

WHITNEY OUT!

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Awful, as soon Baka missed the open Goal it was over, we had gone as close as we then would for the remaining 80 mins or whatever it was - shite!

Anyway.. does Chris who rings WM post on here?

Start moussa? Wow.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:41 pm

moaning saddler wrote:On a positive note, Makris will be fresh for Saturday.

Week on Saturday matey boy! :D
You never know, by that time we could have a proper Manager in charge who might instil some confidence/guts and a tad of effort into the squads game. (some hope! :? )
Pity we couldn't start with a new squad, this one's crud. Pity it has to be another defeat against top opposition, still we do get to play Bury the week after!!

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:53 pm

We looked knackered today. A poor excuse but Rochdale's extra day in bed did make a difference IMO. Disappoiniting

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:

Here's my prediction:

I posted that at half time but we were just as cack in the 2nd half. Completely devoid of ideas with no attacking impetus and our players regularly getting pressured whilst on the ball and cacking themsekves.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:On a positive note, Makris will be fresh for Saturday.

Week on Saturday matey boy! :D
You never know, by that time we could have a proper Manager in charge who might instil some confidence/guts and a tad of effort into the squads game. (some hope! :? )
Pity we couldn't start with a new squad, this one's crud. Pity it has to be another defeat against top opposition, still we do get to play Bury the week after!!

It gets even more positive.
The whole squad should be firing on all cylinders for the next game.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Should've been more changes imo....Rochdale are a much better team the previous two opponents.

Just sounded beaten by the better team. Rochdale looking good to finish top 6 now and good luck to them, decent club.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:20 pm

If you are incapable of getting an effort on target, you probably won't score.
If you get an effort on target, you possibly might score.
No prizes for guessing which of those scenarios related to us and that which related to Rochdale.
Inexcusable miss by Bakayoko from an excellent move.
Pathetic inexcusable ballooned shots by Jackson and Moussa in the second half; they are professional footballers after all.
Virtually nothing stuck upfront and as such we didn't establish a base to play from.
I thought Cuvelier was possibly the best of our players, but almost to a man they played like weak babbies who were easily brushed aside by a competent Rochdale who were nothing like as dominant and effective as they were down here last season. Having said that Rochdale worked very hard and had good control and played to their strengths, which proved sufficient owing to our ineptitude.
With performances like this it is very difficult to be optimistic about our prospects, despite the fact that we have played far worse this season.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:28 pm

We're an average (being kind) team, with a poor manager. Dress it up all we like but that's the truth.

Ozzys easily our best player and cant get a start FFS.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:34 pm

When your midfield is a left winger playing on the right, and central midfielder playing on the left and a right back playing in the middle what do we expect.

Jackson is a waste of space, with his back to goal he is terrible. We need to play to his strengths but when you set up with the midfield above where are the all for him to run onto going to come from? Ahh yes our creative force is sat on the bench!

Am I the only one who thinks Laird can't defend?

Our best player currently is Osborne and he can't manage more than 3 games in a row.

Whitney has bought players to play in Smith's formation realised that they don't work and is shoe horning them into a different formation.

He thought Bakayoko never lost a header all match, Christ he must have had his eyes closed! This is what 2017 will look a lot like down the Banks's unless changes are made, be that squad and/or management.

Oh and Frank Moussa......words fail me!

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season