Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oxford United (A) League One 31st Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Oxford United (A) League One 31st Dec, 3pm

Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:29 pm

We finish 2016 with a trip to the Kassam Stadium, named after Firoz Kassam who purchased Oxford United (and its £15m debts) for £1 in 1999 before liquidating the debts by paying 10p in the £ under a Company Voluntary Arrangement. The 1980's had already seen allegedly shady dealings going on during the Chairmanship of Robert Maxwell prior to his departure to take over Derby County, leaving Oxford United in the hands of his son Kevin. It has to be admitted, however, that United's rise had been pretty meteoric - only becoming a Football League club in 1962 having changed their name from Headington United two years previously. Success took the form of promotion to the top tier only 23 years after becoming a League club, and also winning the League Cup (known as the Milk Cup at that time). Their fortunes declined to such an extent that in 2006 they were relegated to the Conference, and there was a degree of irony in that Accrington Stanley took their League Two place - it was bankrupt Accrington Stanley who left the league in 1962 allowing Oxford United in!!

Financial problems are probably not near the top of Oxford United's agenda at present, having received a reported £3 million from Leeds United for the transfer of Kemar Roofe in July this year. This season they are mid-table so far, and a Saddlers win would certainly see us improve our place, as Oxford are directly above us purely on goal difference. Their mixed form this season has seen a highly creditable win at Bolton (0-2), a draw at Scunthorpe (1-1) and yet defeat at the Sloppies (2-0). Home form has been more consistent, and until yesterday they had found the net in every home League One game. Current League One form:

19 Nov Coventry City (H) Won 4-1
22 Nov Gillingham (H) Won 1-0
26 Nov Scunthorpe United (A) Drew 1-1
10 Dec Oldham Athletic (H) Drew 1-1
17 Dec Bury (A) Won 2-3
26 Dec Northampton Town (H) Lost 0-1

If it's any help in forming a comparison between the two teams, it should be noted that Oxford United did beat Macclesfield Town 3-0 in the 2nd round of the F.A. Cup (in a replay), although to be fair it should also be stated that Macclesfield played the 2nd half with 10 men.......

So, what of our form, looking ahead to Saturday? Jon Whitney appears to have grasped the "two up front" nettle quite firmly, and performances (together with results) have improved. It does mean that more pressure is imposed upon our midfield but the strength in depth of the squad seems to minimise that potential problem, and it must be reassuring to know that a substitute of the calibre of Oztumer/Cuvelier is there to be called upon if necessary. Although Ian Sharps has only been in post for a little over a month, it appears that his input has alrady resulted in many of our defensive leakages being plugged, and a fully fit Isaiah Osbourne has also added much-needed beef. JW has said that he is looking to add experience to the squad next month, so there may well be a scenario of "playing for one's place" in the meantime.

Prediction? United have lost 3 League One home games this season (Millwall, AFC Wimbledon and Northampton Town), and in light of our recent improvement I see no reason why we can't make that 4 ..... 0-1 will suffice, with Amadou Bakayoko finding the net.

UTS :D

coop63
Glitterati

Re: Oxford United (A) League One 31st Dec, 3pm

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Cheers Welsh

After recent improvements I'm a bit more optimistic about this game but reckon Oxford will prove a much sterner test that PV.. on that basis I'm going for a 2-2 with Bako in for one and Makris to break his duck..

UTS

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:35 am

3-0 Saddlers
Makris hat-trick.....

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:42 am

Finally I get to see the Saddlers play at my nearest football ground. I might even cycle there...

A bit like the Banks's as it is out on the edge of town and the only nearby pub, The Priory, closed years ago. If anyone is looking for a pre-match session I'd recommend the Cowley Road in Oxford, lots of pubs (My personal favourite The Library, does very good ale, 182 Cowley Road) and places to eat (My favourite - Le Kesh, 180 Cowley Road, Middle Eastern / North African grub, but there is loads of choice, kebabs, fish and chips, the ubiquitous Nandos) and it is only a short drive, taxi (10 minute), bus (25 minute) ride to the ground.

Or the Prince of Wales in Iffley village is a bit more salubrious and does very nice ale and food.

Or there are lots of country pubs dotted around in places like Littlemore, Garsington, Cuddesdon (Bat & Ball, good ale and food), Horspath (Chequers, pub with an Indian).

Come on you reds!

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Apparently we have sold our initial allocation of tickets for this game and no more will be available from Walsall, howeevr tickets will be available for purchase on the day at Oxford.
I've got mine so come on down and lets make it a really good atmosphere for the lads to continue their recent improvement and move on up the table.
Come on me babbies :D

coop63
Glitterati

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:50 pm

saddla wrote:Apparently we have sold our initial allocation of tickets for this game and no more will be available from Walsall, howeevr tickets will be available for purchase on the day at Oxford.
I've got mine so come on down and lets make it a really good atmosphere for the lads to continue their recent improvement and move on up the table.
Come on me babbies :D

I really hope for a good turnout for this one - although it's NYE and that might put some off travelling etc, it would be great to have a decent qty of noisy Saddlers in attendance!

For my part there's 4 of us travelling, one of whom is my mate who lives in Reading and catches the Saddlers whenever I can manage to drag him along :)

UTS

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:42 am

aaaae wrote:Finally I get to see the Saddlers play at my nearest football ground. I might even cycle there...

A bit like the Banks's as it is out on the edge of town and the only nearby pub, The Priory, closed years ago. If anyone is looking for a pre-match session I'd recommend the Cowley Road in Oxford, lots of pubs (My personal favourite The Library, does very good ale, 182 Cowley Road) and places to eat (My favourite - Le Kesh, 180 Cowley Road, Middle Eastern / North African grub, but there is loads of choice, kebabs, fish and chips, the ubiquitous Nandos) and it is only a short drive, taxi (10 minute), bus (25 minute) ride to the ground.

Or the Prince of Wales in Iffley village is a bit more salubrious and does very nice ale and food.

Or there are lots of country pubs dotted around in places like Littlemore, Garsington, Cuddesdon (Bat & Ball, good ale and food), Horspath (Chequers, pub with an Indian).

Come on you reds!

Good info aetc, the Prince of Wales looks a good call and The Kings Arms in Church Road looks handy for the stadium.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:01 pm

Haven't been to the King's Arms for about 10 years, so can't say one way or the other, but it is in a nice location by the river.

There are so many pubs in and around Oxford you're spoilt for choice.

I'm now getting a lift with an Oxford fan and will be at a New Year's eve party later with him and at least 2 others going to the game. We'd better bloody well win!

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:48 pm

just to say very foggy conditions out there fellow saddler fans

leave enough time travelling as I was down that way couple of days ago and the traffic was quite bad due to fog

according to website get off at jct 9 of the m40 and take the a34 into oxford the kazzam should be sign posted nearby

up the saddlers

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:20 pm

One change from the victorious team at Vale (presumably enforced)- Kory Roberts for Matt Preston. Kinsella back on the bench.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Starting line-up against Oxford United:

Etheridge

McCarthy
Roberts
O'Connor
Laird

Edwards
Osbourne
Chambers
Cuvelier

Jackson
Bakayoko

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Dobson, Oztumer, Morris, Kinsella, Makris, Moussa

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:57 pm

Early kick-offs that might or might not affect us:

Millwall 2 Gillingham 1 (yesterday)

Sheffield Utd 1 Northampton Town 0 (Blades now top of the pile)

Southend Utd 1 Charlton Athletic 1

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:01 pm

Is this a debut for Roberts?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:18 pm

Bolton Wanderers 1 Scunthorpe Utd 0 (16 min)

Peterborough Utd 0 Coventry City 1 (20 min)

Tom Bradshaw scores for Barnsley at home to the Blues

As things stand we have moved up a place in the table, as Northampton Town lost to a late Blades goal......

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:35 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Is this a debut for Roberts?

NOT the time or the place to be giving debuts to teenagers with little or no experience!
When we are clear of the zone, mid table, with even less to play for as the season closes...THEN you try out newcomers!

From the stats they are all over us like a rash, and Roberts has given away two corners already....WHAT is Whitney on, has he lost the plot? (he probably gave his all in some training moments...?)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:36 pm

He was on the subs bench in our most recent game at Port Vale, but nothing that I can see before that. Wasn't he on loan somewhere? :?

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:39 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

NOT the time or the place to be giving debuts to teenagers with little or no experience!
When we are clear of the zone, mid table, with even less to play for as the season closes...THEN you try out newcomers!

From the stats they are all over us like a rash, and Roberts has given away two corners already....WHAT is Whitney on, has he lost the plot? (he probably gave his all in some training moments...?)

As much as I agree with you AM, I'd sooner play one of our own young players than Toner.
However, it does show exactly where we need some experienced cover, doesn't it?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:40 pm

37 minutes, and the first yellow card of this game goes to Oxford United (Dunkley - defender)

Bradford City 0 Bury 1 (38 min) :shock:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:43 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:NOT the time or the place to be giving debuts to teenagers with little or no experience!

Masi is reporting that Preston is ill. Presuming Toner is packing his suitcases and heading to the Aston Expressway, what other option did Whitney have? Roberts is at least a centre-half- the first six games of the season established that McCarthy isn't.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:49 pm

It looks like we've been fortunate to get to HT unscathed,

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:10 pm

No team changes to start the 2nd half - JW must think we're doing reasonably well.

Attendance 8,340

Oxford Utd sub, 54 min

Bradford City 1 Bury 1 now

62nd minute and we have our first corner..... :shock:

Scunthorpe have equalised at Bolton ... 1-1 now

Bristol Rovers 1 AFC Wimbledon 0 (64 min)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:NOT the time or the place to be giving debuts to teenagers with little or no experience!

Masi is reporting that Preston is ill. Presuming Toner is packing his suitcases and heading to the Aston Expressway, what other option did Whitney have? Roberts is at least a centre-half- the first six games of the season established that McCarthy isn't.

My paper is reporting that Toner has been injured and that Whiter's can't put him in the team cus he is not match fit! :shock: Please someone tell me this isn't true! Surely we won't have to suffer any more 'Toner' moments in a Walsall shirt?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:27 pm

Walsall yellow card, 67 minutes ...... Scott Laird

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:27 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:No team changes to start the 2nd half - JW must think we're doing reasonably well.

Attendance 8,340

Oxford Utd sub, 54 min

Bradford City 1 Bury 1 now

62nd minute and we have our first corner..... :shock:

Scunthorpe have equalised at Bolton ... 1-1 now

Bristol Rovers 1 AFC Wimbledon 0 (64 min)

Wow...really stamping our authority now... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Walsall substitution, 70 minutes ... Oztumer on for Bakayoko

Bristol Rovers 2 AFC Wimbledon 0 now

Another Walsall substitution on 73 minutes - Morris on for Cuvelier

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:46 pm

Our 3rd substitution, on 85 minutes ... Makris on for Jackson - can't see much sense in that.......

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:48 pm

If Makris breaks his duck now, I'd laugh.
He must be given at least 3m every match to try it. :roll:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:52 pm

0-0 at full time. A creditable point !!

Fleetwood Town 1 Oldham Athletic 0 (90 min)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:54 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:0-0 at full time. A creditable point !!

Indeed, we seemed to be coming into the match just a bit towards the end too.

Fleetwood Town 1 Oldham Athletic 0 (90 min)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Big gap starting to appear between the top ten and the rest of us 'also ran's'

Bet they liked that last minute goal at the Reebok (sorry, now the Matalan store or somat!)
My pre season bet for Bolton & the Blades going up auto.......is slowly coming to fruition, pity I can't predict match scores on Jolly Jonny's thread for a gold pig! :lol:

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season