Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oxford United (A) League One 31st Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Re: Oxford United (A) League One 31st Dec, 3pm

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:54 pm

Sounded like a cracker! Up to 14th in the league now! :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:16 pm

Worth noting that in their last 12 games Walsall have only conceded more than 1 goal on three occasions so the defence has quite a solid look about it atm I think especially with a rookie making his debut today.

Good end to 2016, the season will still end in mid table but everytime there's been a poor defeat this season there's always been a response in the games after so that shows Whitney still has their respect.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:08 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:Is this a debut for Roberts?

NOT the time or the place to be giving debuts to teenagers with little or no experience!
When we are clear of the zone, mid table, with even less to play for as the season closes...THEN you try out newcomers!

From the stats they are all over us like a rash, and Roberts has given away two corners already....WHAT is Whitney on, has he lost the plot? (he probably gave his all in some training moments...?)

Given this was his debut, I'd give Roberts MOTM.

Pretty awful game for the first 60 minutes, then we had a decent last half hour, which could easily have seen us grab the winner.

The officials were dire. Denied a cast iron penalty with about 10 to go.

If we had a little bit more self belief we have the makings of a good team. Osbourne and Chambers in the middle particularly played really well.

Anyway I have a party to get to.....

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:54 pm

As I have been'up north visiting relatives today I followed the match on the net...looks like a good away point to me. At least we seem to have sorted out our defence from earlier in the season. Unlike AM I am pleased when we give one of our own a chance so well done Kory Roberts. AM we need these youngsters and your constant moaning every time we give one a game is really irritating. Who knows he may become a fine player!!
Two really tough home matches now (Rochdale and Sheff Utd.)...lets hope we can get 2 good results...and score a goal or two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:49 pm

We played very well today (and against Port Vale). The most obvious thing we are lacking is a goal scorer. Edwards and Jackson missed some great chances today and against Port Vale and Oztumer missed a couple of chances today as well.
Defensively, we were very solid. Well done Whitney for giving Roberts his league debut today. He had a decent game. He got turned two or three times but got away with it and other than that he was solid. I can't remember a single chance for Oxford although they did have more of the ball in the first half. In the last 30 minutes we dominated them. Credit to Edwards who was superb today, definitely MOTM. He worked hard and got forward a lot. Oztumer was good when he came on. A bit disappointing that we couldn't get a goal to get the victory we deserved.
If we can keep Laird and Osbourne and Flo are injury free and a new striker could come in then I think we have a chance of the play-offs but realistically it is mid-table obscurity that lies in wait.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:36 pm

Very nearly a perfect way to end the year. How we contrived not to score at the death and how the officials missed the handball are mysteries.

I think we are going to need to get used to a new philosophy. Whitney's stated intention over the last few weeks has been to make us hard to beat. This he has done by effectively playing three holding midfielders at the expense of Oztumer. But blimey, it's not pretty. Barely any free-flowing football, just a good pressing shape that denies the opposition space but that struggles to be at all progressive. Playing two centre-forwards looks progressive but with virtually zero craft behind them and nobody effectively linking the back with the front, they are both isolated.

Today, only when Oztumer came on did we look a menace and that could have been enough to beat what were a pretty poor Oxford side.

Good following in numbers today but I guess it is a sign of the modern times when a good proportion seem to spend most of the game looking at their phones and the loudest song is about which team has possession. Complete barclays on both parts.

Anyways. Happy New Year everyone.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:41 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:From the stats they are all over us like a rash, and Roberts has given away two corners already

It is clear that you were not at the game, AM, and whoever supplied those statistics should book an early appointment at Specsavers!

They were never "all over us like a rash" (q.v.). They managed just ONE shot on target (early in the second half, comfortably gathered by Etheridge). They had spells when they had more possession but rarely threatened in our penalty-area. Indeed, as I walked away from the ground, I overheard one of their fans saying "I don't know where our next goal is coming from". They are clearly feeling the loss, in the summer, of their ex-Walsallian (ex-Joseph Leckie School), Kemar Roofe.

In the last quarter of the game we got well on top and could/should have scored. There was also a strong claim for a penalty for handball. Jackson looks clearly out of sorts and confidence. Maybe it is time to give Makris an extended run in Jackson's rôle in this formation? Kory Roberts had a promising début of which he can feel well pleased. Yes, he was turned a couple of times but O'Connor covered him well and he grew in confidence as the game wore on.

The defence looks more organised now but the lack of goals up front is worrying. A formation which fully involves Oztumer must be sorted as a matter of urgency. We only looked lively in attack and likely to score once he had come on.

The next two games will give a true measure of any improvement.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:48 pm

PT wrote:Very nearly a perfect way to end the year. How we contrived not to score at the death and how the officials missed the handball are mysteries.

I think we are going to need to get used to a new philosophy. Whitney's stated intention over the last few weeks has been to make us hard to beat. This he has done by effectively playing three holding midfielders at the expense of Oztumer. But blimey, it's not pretty. Barely any free-flowing football, just a good pressing shape that denies the opposition space but that struggles to be at all progressive. Playing two centre-forwards looks progressive but with virtually zero craft behind them and nobody effectively linking the back with the front, they are both isolated.

Today, only when Oztumer came on did we look a menace and that could have been enough to beat what were a pretty poor Oxford side.

Good following in numbers today but I guess it is a sign of the modern times when a good proportion seem to spend most of the game looking at their phones and the loudest song is about which team has possession. Complete barclays on both parts.

Anyways. Happy New Year everyone.

Would take Flo out for Rochdale and give Ozzy a free role behind the two strikers (not playing him in the two as Whitney is prone to do). Maybe give Markis a start as Jackson is struggling a bit.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:55 pm

Soccer HQ. Not a bad shout. I suspect against a free-scoring Rochdale he will keep the Edwards, Chambers, Osbourne midfield. The big question is the other three places at the top of the team. I'd go Ozzy, Makris and Morris. I think Whitney will go Baka, Morris and Jackson.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:25 pm

Markis can't hack it as a lone striker....I was more thinking Baka could go into the physical battles with the CBs and see if Markis can do anything from the knockdowns and second balls.

Think it's time we saw Ozzy again from the start especially given the security of the three DMs behind him...but you could be right PT as Morris has played a lot centrally under Whitney so could be another option.

No one suggesting Fat Franck gets a start again? :mrgreen:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:43 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Markis can't hack it as a lone striker....I was more thinking Baka could go into the physical battles with the CBs and see if Markis can do anything from the knockdowns and second balls.

Think it's time we saw Ozzy again from the start especially given the security of the three DMs behind him...but you could be right PT as Morris has played a lot centrally under Whitney so could be another option.

No one suggesting Fat Franck gets a start again? :mrgreen:

If you must keep going on about him, at least get his name right in 2017!
It's Makris, not Markis.
Happy New Year.

Brandon Flowers
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:35 am

Thought we played ok today & certainly looked a solid unit.
Couldn't fault the players effort.
Could have won it at the death.
The front two lacked quality though and if you played as a defender in our team today you'd surely be frustrated and be asking why Baka or Jackson as a two, can't hold the ball up better or bring the midfield into play more. They both struggled. Apart from that, not a bad performance.

UTS Legend

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:17 am

2016 goes out with a whimper...

https://youtu.be/n_xHj-FJBFM

Makris will never score for Walsall FC.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:45 am

Guest wrote:Makris will never score for Walsall FC.

Certainly not if Whitney keeps bringing him on three minutes from full-time!!!

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:55 am

Really struggling to understand why people are calling for Makris to start? He looks clueless.

I would stick with Baka and Jackson then bring in a striker during January. Makris is not the answer.

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:31 am

It's amazing the range of views on what was admittedly a very poor 90 odd minutes of football!

I agree with the others posting that Makris will be unlikely to score if he gets 4 or 5 minutes every now and then...

Although a poor game I'm actually quite happy with 4 points from 2 away games over the break and I think it's worth saying that Oxford looked like a physical (vertically speaking) side with a fair few very tall players that know exactly how to win fouls when the balls in the air.. the officials were inept at stamping it out and the amount of free kicks awarded against seemed ridiculous to me..

Personally I thought Roberts did very well on his full debut - looked a useful prospect and when you consider that Oxford lead the division on the shots on target stats he certainly earned his applause at the end - well done lad...

That said, I'd have taken a point before the game.. happy new year to all supporters - UTS

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:05 am

Great end to an otherwise relatively miserable 2016. Considering we lost more or less the "best" half of our play-off team from last season, Whitters has done a pretty good rebuilding job. Thank goodness that, usually, Walsall (Bonserville?) tend to give managers a reasonable time to show what they can do: little good comes from chopping and changing - look how it's served that "well-run" club Swansea this season! If we finish the season more or less where we are now, I'll be satisfied: any better will be a bonus. :D

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Pleased Whitney played Roberts rather than toner

Whitney has stated in the e&s that the fans helped to get McCarthy signed for the rest of the season which is true and a good acknowledgement but by the same token I think the fans got Roberts his debut given the stick given to toner

Hopefully toner will continue with his career elsewhere

Bradford Sheffield Utd and Rochdale are strong this year and so a point at home is probably what most teams are going to get against these clubs and a point away against decent home teams like port vale and oxford is good. in which case 5 points from these 5 games is acceptable

As we already have accumulated 5 points With two of these games to go I would like to see Whitney change tactics and be more expansive against Rochdale and Sheffield Utd which should be a recall for Ozzie and Morris let's see how brave a manager he is

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:18 pm

A point away from home is always welcome and we deserved this at least.
First half best forgotten a drab game between to poor teams.
Second half much better but had goal less draw all over it with both teams no idea how to score.Game changed with our subs and we did create a few chances which should have been taken.
Never looked like loosing and Etheridge had easy day with only a couple of shots straight at him.We look a lot better in defence but at the cost of not having ideas up front,We must make room for Ozzy somewhereas the only time we look like scoring is when he is there.

WFC Steve

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:24 pm

Thought that we deserves to walk away with all three points yesterday - they were dead on their feet for the last 10 minutes, and how a couple of chances stayed out at the end i'll never know.

The ref tried his best to spoil the game - some poor decisions, an inability to play advantage and a complete ignorance of the treatment our forwards took all game. Only made worse by an even more incompetent linesman!! I'm a great believer that officials do not go out to be biased in any way, but we seem to get our fair share of poor decisions.

Roberts had a good game for his debut - as has benn said, he did get turned a couple of times and needs to beef up a bit, but he looked need and tidy in possession. I think that Flo could do with a rest tomorrow - ideal opportunity to bring Morris or Oztumer back in. We were most effective yesterday when we played it on the floor, to feet and twisted and turned Oxford. Its just a shame that we didnt do more of it.

It never felt like we would lose yesterday, but like everyone one has said we needed the spark we had in the last 10 minutes to get the goals. With regards to Makris, i still havent seen enough of him - but he could potentially have had two goals in the three minutes he was on - hes getting in the positions, just needs a break

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:28 pm

I love reading the comments from people who obviously wasn't at the game... Roberts showed more yesterday than Toner in all his games put together, thought we could have nicked it at the end too although a draw probably the fair result.

also 0-0 = mega bucks from Bet 365 :mrgreen:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Cheesebag wrote:I love reading the comments from people who obviously wasn't at the game... Roberts showed more yesterday than Toner in all his games put together, thought we could have nicked it at the end too although a draw probably the fair result.

also 0-0 = mega bucks from Bet 365 :mrgreen:

Mr Cheese they know better than you.
Even though they wasn't in attendance they know better than what you actually saw.
Where is "Funk hits the fan" when you need him !!!!
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:05 pm

First visit to Kassam stadium anyone else think it was a weird place 3 separate stands and the car park.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:13 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:First visit to Kassam stadium anyone else think it was a weird place 3 separate stands and the car park.

Was like a bigger but three sided version of Colchester's new gaff. All a bit soulless but still not as soulless as our place and I don't reckon there would be a bad view at the Kassam.

Probably me being old-ish and a bit rose-tinted but my favourite grounds are where the idiosyncrasies of the original grounds are still there thus giving them a uniqueness rather than the feel of a big mechano set that another team also got for Christmas. Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, Brentford and even the bigger places like Liverpool, Forest, Leeds are good examples of places that feel unique to that club/community/place. I can only excitedly imagine the unconventional beauty that Fellows Park could have become had we stayed, patched the old girl up and redeveloped over the years.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:09 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:From the stats they are all over us like a rash, and Roberts has given away two corners already

It is clear that you were not at the game, AM, and whoever supplied those statistics should book an early appointment at Specsavers!

They were never "all over us like a rash" (q.v.). They managed just ONE shot on target (early in the second half, comfortably gathered by Etheridge). They had spells when they had more possession but rarely threatened in our penalty-area. Indeed, as I walked away from the ground, I overheard one of their fans saying "I don't know where our next goal is coming from". They are clearly feeling the loss, in the summer, of their ex-Walsallian (ex-Joseph Leckie School), Kemar Roofe.

In the last quarter of the game we got well on top and could/should have scored. There was also a strong claim for a penalty for handball. Jackson looks clearly out of sorts and confidence. Maybe it is time to give Makris an extended run in Jackson's rôle in this formation? Kory Roberts had a promising début of which he can feel well pleased. Yes, he was turned a couple of times but O'Connor covered him well and he grew in confidence as the game wore on.

The defence looks more organised now but the lack of goals up front is worrying. A formation which fully involves Oztumer must be sorted as a matter of urgency. We only looked lively in attack and likely to score once he had come on.

The next two games will give a true measure of any improvement.

That's exactly as it was although Roberts did get beat on the touchline more than a couple of times but that's more of a symptom of them no longer teaching defenders how to tackle or even make contact in the 'modern game'. Other than that, he did well.

It was a team performance that encouraged a little but also left you shaking your head. Oxford weren't great, we let them knock it around (albeit without threatening much) for an hour and then started playing and could/should have won it. Ozzy plays for 15 minutes longer, we do win. They couldn't get near him but 20 mins is not enough time for a player like him. And Makris is never going to do anything with a couple of minutes here and there. Whitney is more or less ruining him - play him more or not at all.

And I have to agree with earlier comment about the singing of that one song. It was a bit funny for a few minutes but after that it was more embarrassing than anything, I thought. The 'he ate the ball' WAS good but I think if ever there's a case of knowing when to stop, that song is it.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:18 am

Mazza01 wrote:Really struggling to understand why people are calling for Makris to start? He looks clueless.

I would stick with Baka and Jackson then bring in a striker during January. Makris is not the answer.

Not sure you can look clueless in 3 minutes anyway, but I'm not convinced Bako and Jackson are the answer. The way I saw it, if you took the best bits of both of them on Saturday's performance you'd struggle to make a decent striker. Jackson looks disinterested after half a season chasing lost causes and Bako wins one header in twenty and gets knocked over more often than not. But they don't look like they're going to score many.

I still back Makris to come good if he gets the chance. I've seen enough to suggest he can play (def not clueless) but I woudn't argue with bringing an extra striker in either because this team clearly lack goals the way we did in the pre-TB days.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:46 pm

nottmsaddler wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Really struggling to understand why people are calling for Makris to start? He looks clueless.

Not sure you can look clueless in 3 minutes anyway, but I'm not convinced Bako and Jackson are the answer. The way I saw it, if you took the best bits of both of them on Saturday's performance you'd struggle to make a decent striker. Jackson looks disinterested after half a season chasing lost causes and Bako wins one header in twenty and gets knocked over more often than not. But they don't look like they're going to score many.

I still back Makris to come good if he gets the chance. I've seen enough to suggest he can play (def not clueless) but I woudn't argue with bringing an extra striker in either because this team clearly lack goals the way we did in the pre-TB days.

He has started something in the region of 8-9 games, his minutes on the pitch dwindled because his performance's were poor.

now I am not picking on the lad but I judge as I see. I am finding hard to hold such optimism as yourself Makris has done nothing that suggests he will come good in time.. its pure guess work.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:34 am

Come on... got to be worth a try over "Offside" Jackson....

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:16 am

Mazza01 wrote:
nottmsaddler wrote:

He has started something in the region of 8-9 games, his minutes on the pitch dwindled because his performance's were poor.

now I am not picking on the lad but I judge as I see. I am finding hard to hold such optimism as yourself Makris has done nothing that suggests he will come good in time.. its pure guess work.

I'm not denying he's been poor or that it's a guess but it's his first season in a new, very different league and I don't think he suddenly becomes a bad player overnight if he's been considered good enough to play for Cyprus and scored goals in that league. It's not a brilliant standard but then, neither is League One.

Some of his runs and touches have, for me, suggested he has something we haven't seen yet. I just hope he gets more chances and not just a few minutes as no one can do much in that time. Having said that, he was my MOTM at Rochdale and he only touched the ball three times.

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season