Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (H) League One, Dec 17th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Harry
UTS Veteran

Re: Bradford City (H) League One, Dec 17th 3pm

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:42 pm

A decent performance, but we were lucky to come away with a point against a strong Bradford team.

Whitney at last started with two up front and we had some creative players in midfield with Osbourne and Cuvelier frequently finding Baka and Jackson. Last Saturday at Fleetwood our midfield of Oztumer, Edwards and Dobson hardly created anything and Baka up front on his own received almost no decent service at all. This week there was a lot possession created for our forwards.

McCarthy and Laird both looked good going forward but for most of the match they could do nothing to prevent the Bradford wingers getting the ball across. Neither of them are good enough defenders to play as full back at League One level. If the opposition have a decent winger then our penalty area will be blitzed by cross after cross.

Etheridge kept us in the game with a string of fine saves - but on another day Bradford would have taken more of their many good chances. We hardly had a decent chance, and I cannot remember their keeper making any thing like a decent save.

Oztumer had a good little cameo. I hope that this is how Whitney is going to use him from now on - as an impact substitute.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:49 pm

A well deserved point from a much better display than game against Oldham.
It looked like 2 lines of 4 with big gap up to the front 2 which seemed to nullify the Bradford forwards but restricted our attacks in first half with first real shot
on target in 40th min.
I thought Preston did a good job against Hanson who usually runs riot against us,Etheridge was his usual self making some great saves while Baka did well first half but was not in it second half.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:11 pm

Sounded like another battling performance....Bradford in fairness are one of the stronger teams in this division.

Interesting midfield line up....lots of destroyers but not much creativity or width.

IMO especially given Flo's brittle nature, I don't see why Ozzy couldn't take his place infront of the three destroyers in the middle as at least he's capable of getting his foot on the ball and getting it to the front two quickly.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:08 pm

"interesting" team selection from the dice today. 442 with no width or attacking threat, the first half-performance was dog-face esque in its ineptness.

Much better in the 2nd half, the draw was fair imo. Fine goal from Osbourne (couldn't argue with the man of the match, though Preston/McCarthy were also excellent). Jordi equalised with the 3rd of 4 good chances (about his hit rate as I remember) and it could have gone either way after. Good point if you accept that we're aiming for the 50 mark.

UTS Legend

Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:31 am

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:59 am

Good support from the fans. Also very classy to give Jordy Hiwula a nice round of applause when he was substituted in appreciation of his efforts for us when on loan.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:46 pm

Firstly, i havent been since the dreadful macclesfield game. and i am a huge critic of Mr Whitney, but if are to criticise when he fudge up, we must give him lots of credit on this occasion.

Yesterday was a a bloody decent game of footy, both teams were trying to win it, instead of being cautious. Bradford had more chances and Neil Etheridge proved a great evener. He will not be here next season, he is maturing like a fine wine. Did nothing wrong all game.

I really liked the narrow system, a master stroke against a Bradford side that will smash balls at you all day long. Preston marked Hanson very well all game but if Hanson won a header it rarely went to a Bradford player. That.system wont work every game but it makes us much more solid, it also allows us to play two strikers, who put real shifts in. If Jackson could find a first touch, and perhaps not stare the ground while he runs we would be lethal on the break.

I wont get carried away as it was a 1-1 at home ad we could have conceded 4, but if we needed proof players were on side for Whitney that was it really. And you know what, the crowd saw they were battling for every ball. That is the best we have played at home since the opening day.

We need to keep Cuvelier and Osbourne fit if we are to be any good. And we should absolutely chuck a few grand at Laird.

It makes the decision to go on Boxing day easier.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:02 am

latviancheese wrote:Firstly, i havent been since the dreadful macclesfield game. and i am a huge critic of Mr Whitney, but if are to criticise when he fudge up, we must give him lots of credit on this occasion.

Yesterday was a a bloody decent game of footy, both teams were trying to win it, instead of being cautious. Bradford had more chances and Neil Etheridge proved a great evener. He will not be here next season, he is maturing like a fine wine. Did nothing wrong all game.

I really liked the narrow system, a master stroke against a Bradford side that will smash balls at you all day long. Preston marked Hanson very well all game but if Hanson won a header it rarely went to a Bradford player. That.system wont work every game but it makes us much more solid, it also allows us to play two strikers, who put real shifts in. If Jackson could find a first touch, and perhaps not stare the ground while he runs we would be lethal on the break.

I wont get carried away as it was a 1-1 at home ad we could have conceded 4, but if we needed proof players were on side for Whitney that was it really. And you know what, the crowd saw they were battling for every ball. That is the best we have played at home since the opening day.

We need to keep Cuvelier and Osbourne fit if we are to be any good. And we should absolutely chuck a few grand at Laird.

Agree 100% with this.
How some people can say Bradford are a poor side is beyond me.
Interesting to see John Ward on the touchline going over things with Whitney during the warm up with tactics board in hand.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:35 am

A lot lot lot better......

send Toner packing... PRONTO!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:24 am

saddla wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Firstly, i havent been since the dreadful macclesfield game. and i am a huge critic of Mr Whitney, but if are to criticise when he fudge up, we must give him lots of credit on this occasion.

Agree 100% with this.
How some people can say Bradford are a poor side is beyond me.
Interesting to see John Ward on the touchline going over things with Whitney during the warm up with tactics board in hand.

Tactics? are you sure? possibly tictacs more likely...... :lol: :lol:
Overall a great improvement on the Fleetwood (we haven't a clue what's going on) debacle then?
Bradford ARE a good side, I know a number of Bratf't supporters and they are deliriously happy with their team (how often can supporters say that!) So to hold 'em to a draw, and have the audacity to score against them shows great improvement. However we are only 6 points off the zone with the play off places in another dimension. We have to start getting some three pointers to stave off our slide.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:36 am

Not sure I agree with most of what has been written.

It was certainly a good game of football, particularly in the 2nd half.

Yes, we looked more solid than we have done recently, the omission of Toner and the return of Osborne had a lot to do with that though.

People are lauding the narrow diamond formation that we played, but I think it exposed our weakness - ie that we allow far to many crosses in to the box. Thankfully, Hanson was both well marshalled and had an off day (to be honest, he looks a shadow of his former self). People are praising this narrow formation, but I think on another day, it could well have been our downfall.

I think if we'd have gone in 2-0 down at half time we couldn't have had many complaints.

So, not many plus points for me, obviously it was an improved team performance, but the problems still remain and I think we got away with this one.

Other pluses: McCarthy looks to be gaining confidence and caused havoc going forward. Cuvelier didn't get injured. Toner was dropped.

WFC Steve

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:33 pm

On the whole i was pleased with the performance on Saturday - we showed a lot more fight and commitment than we have since Bolton at home. As previously mentioned the challenge from McArthy got the crowd on their feet - the sort of effort that we all want to see.

Whilst Bradford had the better chances all through the game, i never thought they would score - and it took an unfortunate ricochet to give Jodi his chance. The centre halves did a really good job on Hansen who has caused us massive problems in the past. I thought that if we would have made different substitutions we could have had all three points ( i personally would have liked to have seen Ginelly have a go at the full back for the last 20 minutes, i think he may have struggled with his pace as he couldnt cope with McArthy)

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season