Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) Checkatrade Trophy Tue Dec 13, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Oldham Athletic (H) Checkatrade Trophy Tue Dec 13, 7.45pm

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:44 am

We blow hot, we blow cold - our inconsistency this season sees us go to Bramall Lane (Blades unbeaten in 15) and win, but venture to Highbury and lose to a reportedly poor Fleetwood side. The knock-out stage of the EFL Checkatrade Trophy now brings Oldham Athletic to the Banks's, and probably represents our only chance of any big-stage appearance unless you still harbour ambitions of a League One play-off place. Speaking of League One, a glance at the table shows Oldham Athletic to be somewhat in the mire as they share bottom place with Shrewsbury Town and Chesterfield on 18 points. The significant fact of Oldham's League One showing is that in 20 games they've only managed to score 12 goals, which is exactly half of our tally - mind you they've only conceded 22, which is the 5th best defensive performance in League One and way below our 30. Oldham's recent League One form:

22 Oct Bristol Rovers (H) Lost 0-2
29 Oct Rochdale (A) Lost 1-0
12 Nov AFC Wimbledon (H) Drew 0-0
19 Nov Scunthorpe United (A) Lost 1-0
22 Nov Port Vale (A) Drew 2-2
10 Dec Oxford United (A) Drew 1-1

It might be a mistake to read too much into Oldham's league One position - they did get the better of Scunthorpe United at home (2-0) and Gillingham away (1-2) in October. However they do have problems off the field, being under a transfer embargo while owing our friends at HMRC £300,000. They will probably be without midfielder Ousmane Fane, who was sent off in yesterday's game at Oxford - his second red card of the season. Defender Peter Clarke is currently their leading scorer with 3 goals......

With both teams regularly being set up in a defensive style, this game has 0-0 written all over it - or will Jon Whitney cast caution to the winds and go for a proper "2 up front" approach? (Yes please!!).

Mansfield Town (with Mal Benning) await the winners in the next round - let's hope we can grind out a 1-0 win against Oldham Athletic, with Oztumer back to his scoring best in front of a crowd that might just about make it into 4 figures.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) Checkatrade Trophy Tue Dec 13, 7.45p

Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:30 am

9-0

When is the last time we won 9-0?

Overdue. Pure mathematics.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:44 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:9-0

Please provide the graphs and charts together with expert opinion you used to draw this conclusion. Anyone with half a brain would surely have used a tried and trusted method like shaking a bag of pigs knuckles over a magnetic canoe; I did and we will win 6 - 0!

Will you be attending?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:57 am

The graph clearly shows intention to attend vs score vs the airspeed velocity of unladen swallows. :arrow: :idea:

Just remembered, I'll be in the Philippines for the duration of candelmass! :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Cully wrote:

Please provide the graphs and charts together with expert opinion you used to draw this conclusion. Anyone with half a brain would surely have used a tried and trusted method like shaking a bag of pigs knuckles over a magnetic canoe; I did and we will win 6 - 0!

Will you be attending?

I saw a squirrel fall out of a tree this morning. As I have mislaid my runestones is this a good or bad omen for Tuesday night?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:29 pm

That depends, was it a red or a grey squirrel?

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Cully wrote:

Will you be attending?

I saw a squirrel fall out of a tree this morning. As I have mislaid my runestones is this a good or bad omen for Tuesday night?

I'm sorry to have to break this to you but Runestones are no longer the 'new black', the modern alternative is to use a water pump from a 1965 Ford Cortina suspended on a shoe lace over the prostrate body of the squirrel, if it turns clockwise then victory is ours.
However, I'm not sure that you will be able to source aforesaid water pump unless, by any remote chance, you know of someone with the necessary corporate experience in handling second hand parts.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:14 am

My morning stool suggests an odd number of goals scored in this tussle.

9-0 is on!!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:10 am

aaaae wrote:That depends, was it a red or a grey squirrel?

It was first light Master of the Vowels although it did appear to be red and grey checked as it disappeared back from when it came quacking like a duck as it went.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 am

Cully wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
Cully wrote:

Will you be attending?

I'm sorry to have to break this to you but Runestones are no longer the 'new black', the modern alternative is to use a water pump from a 1965 Ford Cortina suspended on a shoe lace over the prostrate body of the squirrel, if it turns clockwise then victory is ours.
However, I'm not sure that you will be able to source aforesaid water pump unless, by any remote chance, you know of someone with the necessary corporate experience in handling second hand parts.

Things appear to be in the balance Cully.

Having contacted said supplier all he could offer was the near side wiper from a 1971 Vauxhall Viva (with a split blade). If we require anything more exotic, such as the component part you have specified, he will need to raise funds through crowd sourcing. This will involve a Kung-Fu demonstration on the Foley Arms car park on Tuesday morning where he will attempt to turn paving slabs into hardcore and pallets into firewood, using only his face and feet. He will however, be wearing the rubber suit he wears three times a week at the gym so injuries aren't anticipated. As it is Tuesday he will probably then spend the early evening as Joan Crawford, Stephen Seagall, Lady Ga-Ga or Mr Blobby bepending on the nature of his medication.

All this may be in vain on two counts:
1. We may not get the results back to Whitney in time for him to feed them into the slot-card-knitting needle state-of-the-art data device he swears by, and come up with a formation which will enable us to keep out Oldham for more than three and a half minutes.
2. The squirrel ran off, so a second one would have to be sourced, and I am led to believe that David Attenborough is out of the country.

P.S. I forecast a 2-0 thrashing with Makris getting a hat-trick.
P.P.S. He will be wearing his new squirrel goal charm hat - don't forget to look out for it.
P.P.P.S. This may be appropriate as he was heard to mumble something about the 'Alamo' whilst holding his head in his hands.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:25 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Cully wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
Cully wrote:

Will you be attending?

Things appear to be in the balance Cully.

Having contacted said supplier all he could offer was the near side wiper from a 1971 Vauxhall Viva (with a split blade). If we require anything more exotic, such as the component part you have specified, he will need to raise funds through crowd sourcing. This will involve a Kung-Fu demonstration on the Foley Arms car park on Tuesday morning where he will attempt to turn paving slabs into hardcore and pallets into firewood, using only his face and feet. He will however, be wearing the rubber suit he wears three times a week at the gym so injuries aren't anticipated. As it is Tuesday he will probably then spend the early evening as Joan Crawford, Stephen Seagall, Lady Ga-Ga or Mr Blobby bepending on the nature of his medication.

All this may be in vain on two counts:
1. We may not get the results back to Whitney in time for him to feed them into the slot-card-knitting needle state-of-the-art data device he swears by, and come up with a formation which will enable us to keep out Oldham for more than three and a half minutes.
2. The squirrel ran off, so a second one would have to be sourced, and I am led to believe that David Attenborough is out of the country.

P.S. I forecast a 2-0 thrashing with Makris getting a hat-trick.
P.P.S. He will be wearing his new squirrel goal charm hat - don't forget to look out for it.
P.P.P.S. This may be appropriate as he was heard to mumble something about the 'Alamo' whilst holding his head in his hands.

I know some lovely men in white coats who regularly look after me when I've not taken my tablets, shall I let them have your number? :D :D

I predict another 8-4 with Lightbourne scoring 5.
Or then again it could be 0-0 with a Colin Taylor hat trick.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:56 pm

5-1 Walsall. Makris, Bakayoko x2, Preston and Edwards.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Never seen a more surreal pre match build up... :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:15 pm

What serious money there is appears to be on Oldham's behalf - they will be starting the game as favourites, according to the betting exchanges.

Checkatrade is not in the BBC's vocabulary so any team news or in-game substitutions will have to come from other sources. :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:30 pm

McGillivray
Laird
McCarthy
Dobson
Cubelier
Jackson
Osbourne
Kinsella
Preston
Bakayoko
Toner

Seven on the bench.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Exile wrote:McGillivray
Laird
McCarthy
Dobson
Cubelier
Jackson
Osbourne
Kinsella
Preston
Bakayoko
Toner

Seven on the bench.

Two up front (Jackson and Bakayoko)!!! No Oztumer, so presumably Cuvelier has that function. Good to see Osborn/Osbourn/Osbourne starting.

Substitutes: Etheridge, Edwards, Roberts, Sangha, Moussa, Ginnelly, Makris

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:What serious money there is appears to be on Oldham's behalf - they will be starting the game as favourites, according to the betting exchanges.

Checkatrade is not in the BBC's vocabulary so any team news or in-game substitutions will have to come from other sources. :?

So knowledge of our appalling ineptness has got through to the betting community then? Hardly surprising, I imagine the bottom four are wringing their hands in anticipation of our continued demise. :(
Whitney will have to raise his game profoundly if 'Oldham' are considered favourites to beat us on our own turf! Couldn't get more humiliating. :(

Yes it can (on edit) Toner & Kinsella!!!!!! Lets hope Oldham are playing their reserves!

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:48 pm

I thought we were away!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:55 pm

First shot on target, after only 4 minutes ... from Oldham, naturally!! Still 0-0 :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:59 pm

Still 0-0 after 10 minutes. Can't find any coverage and don't have saddlers player, so no idea what the game is like!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:00 pm

Exile wrote:Still 0-0 after 10 minutes. Can't find any coverage and don't have saddlers player, so no idea what the game is like!

We've had one shot blocked, they've had one corner. (Betfair website)

... and after 12 minutes, we are 3rd favourites behind Oldham and the draw!!

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:17 pm

(After 26 minutes) The draw is now clear favourite. We've had 3 shots, none of which was on target.

On the positive side I've cashed in my "under 2.5 goals" bet, showing 25% profit. :D

(31 minutes) ... Oldham "goal" from free kick cancelled - still 0-0 :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:32 pm

(43 minutes) - and with our first shot on target, we take the lead!!!!!! 1-0 to Walsall :D :D :D (Bakayoko) :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:32 pm

baka again :D

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:36 pm

1-0 - Bakayoko.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:36 pm

chunkster wrote:baka again :D

You should be a Sun journo :) :)

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:37 pm

The ballad of Jon and Bakayoko lives on.
Last edited by Kevlar on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:38 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
chunkster wrote:baka again :D

You should be a Sun journo :) :)
:lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Went off to make some oat snack bars. They're now in the oven. Can someone remind me to take them out in 30 minutes please?

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season