Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) Checkatrade Trophy Tue Dec 13, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
That City in Poland

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) Checkatrade Trophy Tue Dec 13, 7.45p

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:32 pm

Well that was terrible. Tbf, the side and system that started the game wasn't too bad, we looked quite fluid at times. Osbourne and Flo are definitely the best midfielders at the club.

The issue, and where it went downhill was when he changed kinsella and Dobson, the system just went to pot. Dobson looked very tidy, kinsella offered a lot of energy and movement although could have been in the game more. He just changed it like for like, didn't offer any options to change the way the game was going, didn't look for new ideas to challenge and stretch Oldham. Neutralised osbourne who was getting behind their midfield and played Edwards in a more advanced role. Oldham we just looking more comfortable.

We just don't have any movement, options to move forward through the lines of the midfield, anyone willing to beat a man on the outside and cross and put defenders on the back foot. Knowone from midfield wants to burst beyond the forward and make something happen. That is down to tactics, player selection and patterns that have been worked on in training and it shows whitneys floors as a manager. I have seen too many games where were under constant pressure because we don't know how to build pressure and momentum to attack, to retain possession. We are great at throwing bodies in front of the ball and defending for our lives, which are qualities that obviously come from Whitney but that's not enough.

I hate being in the manager out gang, and I never wanted smith out, but that because you could see a plan, there just isn't anything to go off here that is positive and the fact we have won as many games as we have is down to some individual brilliance at times rather than team goals. It's just very poor, tonight is just a snapshot of how bad it's getting.

That City in Poland

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Also can someone tie jacksons boots for him please because he seems to have tied them together.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:53 pm

dobbster71 wrote:Can't understand why Makris wasn't given a run out for the full 90 minutes! 5 minutes here, 3 minutes there are not going to do him any good.
It's beginning to look as though Whitney has no faith in him, which is a shame.

Still hoping to see a Makris hat-trick though.........

Makris has started 10 league matches, that is more than enough for us to know that he is not good enough.

The club made a big mistake when it spent over £200,000 on him and gave him a three year contract. Fair enough all clubs make mistakes, and at least it was showing ambition. But it is compounding that mistake when he is included in the side just because of his transfer fee.

We should all forget about the transfer fee and just look at what he does on when he is on the pitch. All I have seen from him tells me that he is a version of Alex Nicholls but without the pace. He is one of those players who freezes in front of goal - that is not necessarily fatal for a midfielder (Sawyers and Chambers) but it is disastrous for a striker. He does not have the pace or skill to be a winger, and he cannot win the ball in the air. He tries really hard, but so did Alex Nicholls, and the non-league teams have all got forwards like him who would run around and chase like mad, but are not good enough for this level.

Who knows, maybe he would make the grade as a central midfielder, but we have about ten of them in the first team squad so there is not really much chance of him getting a place there.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:58 pm

Good post city in Poland.....the substitutions probably cost us the game. Dobson played well in the Chambers role and Cuvelier also had a good game.Both must come in the reckoning for Saturday when I assume O'Conner and Oztumer will be back. One other point I would make is that although it was nominally 2 up front they didn't play as a 2 ....one or other was constantly on the wing meaning when one of them won the ball in the air the other was to far away to pick up the ball. The only positive was a great strike from Baka. which once again emphasised his usefulness but in more general play he has much to learn. Roll on January when hopefully we can sort out the defence!

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Walsallone wrote:Good post city in Poland.....the substitutions probably cost us the game. Dobson played well in the Chambers role and Cuvelier also had a good game.Both must come in the reckoning for Saturday when I assume O'Conner and Oztumer will be back. One other point I would make is that although it was nominally 2 up front they didn't play as a 2 ....one or other was constantly on the wing meaning when one of them won the ball in the air the other was to far away to pick up the ball. The only positive was a great strike from Baka. which once again emphasised his usefulness but in more general play he has much to learn. Roll on January when hopefully we can sort out the defence!

When he put Jackson on with Bakayoko in the last home league game they were miles apart from each other. They looked clueless as to how to play as a front pairing. I bet Jackson has played as a pair in his career. Therefore it shows that we don't practice it in training. It is just another glaring issue in Whitneys tenure as manager. Harps on about individual mistakes yet I thought we recruited a team of leaders in the Summer. He is clueless, get rid.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Walsallone wrote:Roll on January when hopefully we can sort out the defence!

Well considering Whitney had all summer to sort out our defence I sincerely hope he's not given the chance to waste another recruitment opportunity.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:52 pm

As a footnote to the attendance figure:

Walsall v Oldham Athletic: 925

Stourbridge v Northampton Town: 2,520

:roll:

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:45 am

tinned wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Roll on January when hopefully we can sort out the defence!

Well considering Whitney had all summer to sort out our defence I sincerely hope he's not given the chance to waste another recruitment opportunity.
or any funds what should be available from the henry sale.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:12 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:As a footnote to the attendance figure:

Maybe we should just give up.

Seriously, the squad looks ok on paper so the blame has to go to the manager.
It hasn't worked so who else is around before it's too late?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:47 am

Whitters wrote:

Maybe we should just give up.

Seriously, the squad looks ok on paper so the blame has to go to the manager.
It hasn't worked so who else is around before it's too late?

Don't ask. Someone will just mention Quitterill again.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:15 am

You can't really compare the two considering we were playing in a Checkatrade Trophy that a lot of fans are boycotting anyway and the Stourbridge game was them playing at home to a league side in the FA Cup!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:25 am

Not a real game.... On to Saturday

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:50 am

Cheesebag wrote:Not a real game.... On to Saturday

As someone above said...re-mortgage your home and put a huge dimply dollop of it on a Bradford cricket score on Saturday, you will probably only get 1/15 against, but it will be money in the bank to buy a bigger house!

How can we have got so bad? It's embarrassing.

So called Board of Directors......act now, get rid before it is too late (but they won't and it will be, that's for certain.)

UTS Legend

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:46 pm

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:06 pm

What's to roll eyes about?

I wish our attendance had been half that!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:31 pm

tinned wrote:

That was my point!! Rolling eyes at the difference in numbers, not at Stourbridge's alone. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:23 pm

Wooooooosh. :wink:

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:35 pm

Positives to come out of tonight: Osbourne and Cuvelier both get 90 minute run outs.

Kinsella gets some game time (might be needed if McCarthy returns to Southampton).

Dobson growing into his position (too slow to play with Chambers but as an either/or option he has probably done enough to start on Saturday - ideally, bring Chambers on in the last 25 mins to steady the ship and see out the game).

Plus points for Saturday: Etheridge, Oztumer, O'Connor and hopefully Morris will all strengthen the side.

Negatives: Moussa doesn't look interested enough to fulfil his obvious talent.

Negatives: Laird looked shaky (for once) but Toner and Preston just aren't good enough. We can nurture Preston and hopefully Vassell will get a chance in January - bye bye Toner.

Makris - surely a loan spell is needed and use him next season because if he's not deemed good enough for Oldham at home, then what is the point?

Bradford are a good team but we need a positive response on Saturday. I almost think that a performance is more important than a result because it would not be a disgrace to lose to the Bantams; however, it would surely be the end for Whitney if he cannot get a performance out of the team (especially after the 4-0 reverse last year which stopped us from getting automatic promotion).

Roll up, roll up for the Whitney lottery starting-eleven once more...

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:04 pm

JJunior9 wrote:Positives to come out of tonight: Osbourne and Cuvelier both get 90 minute run outs.

Kinsella gets some game time (might be needed if McCarthy returns to Southampton).

Dobson growing into his position (too slow to play with Chambers but as an either/or option he has probably done enough to start on Saturday - ideally, bring Chambers on in the last 25 mins to steady the ship and see out the game).

Plus points for Saturday: Etheridge, Oztumer, O'Connor and hopefully Morris will all strengthen the side.

Negatives: Moussa doesn't look interested enough to fulfil his obvious talent.

Negatives: Laird looked shaky (for once) but Toner and Preston just aren't good enough. We can nurture Preston and hopefully Vassell will get a chance in January - bye bye Toner.

Makris - surely a loan spell is needed and use him next season because if he's not deemed good enough for Oldham at home, then what is the point?

Bradford are a good team but we need a positive response on Saturday. I almost think that a performance is more important than a result because it would not be a disgrace to lose to the Bantams; however, it would surely be the end for Whitney if he cannot get a performance out of the team (especially after the 4-0 reverse last year which stopped us from getting automatic promotion).

Roll up, roll up for the Whitney lottery starting-eleven once more...

POSITIVES Are you Whitney in disguise.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks Guest.
Looked like a behind-closed-doors friendly!
We had chances.
Goalie won't be happy with his performance.

Huge credit to the 900 who attended - true fans these and they have my total unconditional respect.
When I become rich and famous I will invite each and everyone of you to my beach-side mansion and wine and dine you for a week.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

That was my point!! Rolling eyes at the difference in numbers, not at Stourbridge's alone. :wink:

I meant I wish ours was half of the 925 not half of the 2,520.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:04 pm

tinned wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

tinned - the person Christmas forgot.
A Walsall "fan" working against Walsall FC and undermining support for us and so helping to keep us where we are with make-do managers and players.....

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:09 pm

Whitters wrote:
tinned wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

tinned - the person Christmas forgot.
A Walsall "fan" working against Walsall FC and undermining support for us and so helping to keep us where we are with make-do managers and players.....

Doing my bit to ensure this playing against PL U23 sides is stopped once and for all. Had this farce competition been a success then PL U23 teams in the league might've been next .... and that would've killed lower league football.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:55 am

Exile wrote:Wooooooosh. :wink:

:mrgreen:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:04 am

Whitters wrote:Huge credit to the 900 who attended - true fans these and they have my total unconditional respect.

And even more credit to the even truer fans that have hopefully killed this competition by staying away :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:32 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
Whitters wrote:Huge credit to the 900 who attended - true fans these and they have my total unconditional respect.

And even more credit to the even truer fans that have hopefully killed this competition by staying away :wink:

Wait for it. Whittering will liken you to Scrooge and refer to you as a "fan" now!

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season