Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (A) League One Dec 10, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fleetwood Town (A) League One Dec 10, 3pm

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:12 pm

A trip to Highbury for the travelling faithful - and I still think of Arsenal seeing that name - with the hope that the weather gods will have been kind this week and the pitch will be playable. Fleetwood are currently sitting pretty in the League One table in 8th place, only kept out of the play-off zone by their slightly inferior goal difference, but having said that, they're only 3 points ahead of us, so a win on Saturday could well propel us significantly upwards. Their current manager is Uwe Rosler who was appointed in July this year following a season which saw Graham Alexander sacked and Stephen Pressley resigning. Leading goalscorers so far are David Ball (8) and Ash Hunter (7) - Fleetwood have scored 31 League One goals this season, which is 8 more than our total. Recent League One form:

29 Oct Gillingham (H) Won 2-1
1 Nov Bristol Rovers (A) Lost 2-1
12 Nov Port Vale (A) Lost 2-1
19 Nov Chesterfield (H) Won 2-1
22 Nov Shrewsbury Town (H) Won 3-0
26 Nov AFC Wimbledon (A) Drew 2-2

Having ended Sheffield United's unbeaten run of 15 games last week, it would be equally quite an achievement to end another run on Saturday by keeping a clean sheet. I mention this because in Fleetwood's 20 League One games this season they've scored in every one - records are there to be broken........

Speaking of the win at Bramall Lane - will Jon Whitney maintain his "bite on the bullet" and start Amadou Bakayoko? His squad has had a welcome rest from League One duty, so fitness and availability shouldn't be too much of a problem. Eyes-higher Osborn/Osbourn/Osbourne could provide a physical presence that has been missing from some League One games, but trying to predict a Walsall starting line-up is fraught with uncertainties at the best of times.

It's worth noting that Fleetwood may have their minds slightly elsewhere - they drew 0-0 away to the Sloppies in round 2 of the F.A. Cup and so have a replay next Tuesday to decide who will visit Bristol City in the third round.

Prediction? Well, at the end of last season we had a comfortable 3-1 win at home to Fleetwood - the only snag in looking for a repeat result is that those 3 goals were scored by Bradshaw, Downing and Sawyers!! I'll go for a 0-2 result, with Oztumer and Bakayoko on the mark.

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (A) League One Dec 10, 3pm

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:22 am

i am just hoping the game will be on to be honest :| if they can avert a catastrophic spilling of the ball boy's sunny "D" before kick off i think it will be ok. i just hope it's a good game, i can take a loss if we spill our guts for the cause. going for a 1-2 with baka and morris scoring 2 belter's

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:34 pm

I'm listening to what our manager said, so I'm:

Not going to get too carried away.
Concurrently believing that by poking home his one single chance Bakayoko is a world beating superstar.
And that a one-in-a-hundred away win means we are clearly out of our slump.

Fleetwood have won their last three home games from Welsh's stats, some achievement to win four on the bounce. Aren't we the side that ruined their excellent home record last time?

I'm going for match abandoned due to catastrophic misunderstanding of Fleetwood team sheet stating they are preparing to play with a Pond on the pitch #badumtish

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:33 pm

chunkster wrote:i am just hoping the game will be on to be honest :| if they can avert a catastrophic spilling of the ball boy's sunny "D" before kick off i think it will be ok. i just hope it's a good game, i can take a loss if we spill our guts for the cause. going for a 1-2 with baka and morris scoring 2 belter's

morris wont be on the pitch

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:10 pm

windowman wrote:
chunkster wrote:i am just hoping the game will be on to be honest :| if they can avert a catastrophic spilling of the ball boy's sunny "D" before kick off i think it will be ok. i just hope it's a good game, i can take a loss if we spill our guts for the cause. going for a 1-2 with baka and morris scoring 2 belter's

Injured?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:22 pm

chunkster wrote:
windowman wrote:

Injured?

Can't swim! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The rain has been catastrophic up here, so don't expect the game to be on, the ground has a horrific drainage problem.
However should by a minor miracle the game be played, I would just love us to upset Fleetwood, just as we did at Bramhall Lane. Possession Fleetwood 78% Walsall 22% Shots on target Fleetwood 28 Walsall 2, result = Fleetwood 0 Walsall 1. :D :D :D :D
See ya all there.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:59 pm

Just seen Saturday's forecast...

Looks like that afternoon back up plan of the Trafford Centre is coming into action. :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:58 pm

There's a high probability this match will be called off so please check local media before setting off, unless you want to spend a fortune shopping with the crowds.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:20 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Just seen Saturday's forecast...

Looks like that afternoon back up plan of the Trafford Centre is coming into action. :lol:

And its still raining!

Though the Trafford Centre is VERY Pretty this time of year, and indoors, it can be top whack price wise! And if the missus intends on spending as they tend to do just prior to Cringle :D Try to persuade adding another half hour to the journey and visit Cheshire Oaks, just along the M56/M53, though it is outdoor'ish it still has a huge variety of top quality shops, all at 'Designer Outlet' prices, quite outrageously so when compared to the Trafford Centre.
Just trying to help if Fleetwood is a no go! :mrgreen:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:38 pm

If it was to be called off again are the EFL actually going to do anything about getting them to sort out their facilities?

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:56 pm

i'm fudgin livid :| they are a joke club with joke groundsmen :|

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:09 am

sup
chunkster wrote:i'm fudgin livid :| they are a joke club with joke groundsmen :|

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:21 am

windowman wrote:sup
chunkster wrote:i'm fudgin livid :| they are a joke club with joke groundsmen :|
I was anticipating the game being called off cus of the rain last night. hopefully i was jumping the gun

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:27 am

Is it 'off' officially? Can't find any info either way, don't want to make the journey (even if only a skip and a jump for us NUTS) cus Fleetwood can be such a depressing place, nearly as bad as Morecambe, and in winter, well, lets commit suicide, to cheer ourselves up. :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:43 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Is it 'off' officially? Can't find any info either way, don't want to make the journey (even if only a skip and a jump for us NUTS) cus Fleetwood can be such a depressing place, nearly as bad as Morecambe, and in winter, well, lets commit suicide, to cheer ourselves up. :mrgreen:
:lol: i don't think it's off? i was just generalizing about the ground staff, whether the game is on or off they are still useless :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:44 am

chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

:lol: i don't think it's off? i was just generalizing about the ground staff, whether the game is on or off they are still useless :lol:

Agreed, and going on the last 'call off' because of dew on the grass, we will be informed at about 2'O Clock! :( :(

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:17 pm

A 1-1 draw, with Morris for us, in front of 2,642, including 251 Saddlers.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:54 pm

BathSaddler wrote:A 1-1 draw, with Morris for us, in front of 2,642, including 251 Saddlers.

Morris injured? Toner :( and a geniuine 5-3-2 with 3 defensive midfielders. A goal would be a miracle imo

1Etheridge
16Preston
4O'Connor
32Toner
5McCarthy
2Edwards
7Chambers
6Dobson
3Laird
10Oztumer
20Bakayoko

Substitutes

8Cuvelier
9Jackson
13MacGillivray
14Osbourne
15Kinsella
33Makris
44Moussa

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:58 pm

Plan C - nine defenders, two forwards. Whitney's wingless wonders.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Anyone got sadworld working?
Can get Fleetwood commentary

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:15 pm

Yellow card for Chambers, 8 min :(

Elsewhere:

Southend Utd 1 Coventry City 0

Peterborough Utd 1 Chesterfield 0

Oxford Utd 0 Oldham Athletic 1

Card-happy ref? Fleetwood Town yellow, 12 min

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Millwall 0 Sloppies 1

Port Vale 0 Northampton Town 1

Posh 2 Chesterfield 2 now

Bristol Rovers 1 Bury 1

Rochdale 1 Scunthorpe Utd 0

Tom Bradshaw scores for Barnsley, 11 min

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:44 pm

Dingles :lol: :lol:

Fleetwood Town 1 Walsall 0 (41 min) :( :(

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:03 pm

Looking at the team and the stats. for the game we certainly need more attacking options in the second half.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:06 pm

Walsallone wrote:Looking at the team and the stats. for the game we certainly need more attacking options in the second half.

Well, he's got Jackson, Makris and Moussa on the bench ... but who does he remove from the pitch?? :?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:12 pm

Rochdale 2 Scunthorpe Utd 0

Sheffield Utd 3 Swindon Town 0

Posh 3 Chesterfield 2

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:19 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Looking at the team and the stats. for the game we certainly need more attacking options in the second half.

Well, he's got Jackson, Makris and Moussa on the bench ... but who does he remove from the pitch?? :?

Unimpressive. Is he playing to keep the goals down so we have a chance in the 2nd leg? Whitney's decision making is questionable to say the least.

I'd suspect marking the 68th ineptly answered mock chemistry exam like I'm doing now is more interesting than watching the boys considering the team he's put out.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Only 30 minutes to go - time to throw the kitchen sink at them, surely? Nothing to lose at this stage, 'cos we don't look like scoring any time soon.....

EDIT - 66 minutes and we're 2-0 down ......... :( :( :(

It's a good job teams below us keep on getting stuffed ...

Southend Utd 3 Coventry City 0

Bristol Rovers 3 Bury 1

Sheffield Utd 4 Swindon Town 0

Walsall substitution - Jackson on for Toner, 69 min

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:31 pm

I like the Irish jig they play when Fleetwood score. Small compensation.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:37 pm

A lack of attacking ambition has cost us today along with sticking with a plan that's not working. Fleetwood are strong at home, but we have to be more positive than this.

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season